PDA

View Full Version : Anderson, Quentin both make roster.

Sockinchisox
03-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Not that there was any doubt with Owens going down.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/roster-update.html

oeo
03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Looks like Wassermann should take the final bullpen spot after Masset just got smoked in the first inning.

chisoxmike
03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Looks like Wassermann should take the final bullpen spot after Masset just got smoked in the first inning.

Let's hope.

It's Dankerific
03-27-2008, 03:17 PM

ST stats don't mean anything to the team, neither does common sense. I think you can pencil Masset in.

Chicken Dinner
03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
4 hits, 3 doubles, and 3 runs, I smell a trade or a release.

EndemicSox
03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Sox are in a bind regarding Masset...hopefully he proves he belongs...

As the above poster said, if they feel he doesn't have what it takes, he'll be released...

spawn
03-27-2008, 03:22 PM
4 hits, 3 doubles, and 3 runs, I smell a trade or a release.
More like release. We'd be lucky to get a bag of balls via trade.

ChicagoG19
03-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Not that there was any doubt with Owens going down.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/roster-update.html

Good to hear, I look foward to see if BA can continue what he has been doing in spring training.

The Immigrant
03-27-2008, 05:16 PM
More like release. We'd be lucky to get a bag of balls via trade.

He should clear waivers.

oeo
03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
He should clear waivers.

I doubt it. Someone will take a chance on him.

David Aardsma is pitching for the defending world champions, who had one of the best bullpens in baseball last year...someone will take Masset.

It's Dankerific
03-27-2008, 06:37 PM

David Aardsma is pitching for the defending world champions, who had one of the best bullpens in baseball last year...someone will take Masset.

Yes, this team cant possibly lose someone as good as Nick Masset.

btrain929
03-27-2008, 06:40 PM

....and we got TWO players for him!

Frontman
03-27-2008, 06:43 PM

Farmio jinxed him with his "Masset must have a strong outing to be considered for the MLB roster....there's a hit."

Lip Man 1
03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Endemic:

The Sox are in that bind with Masset because they got him (along with Aardsma and someone else who's name escapes me right now) knowing full well that they had a limited number of options available to them.

They can't say they didn't realize this fact.

He was bad in 2007, he was bad in spring training...how can they possibly justify him on this roster?

I simply can't believe (and won't unless events show otherwise) that Kenny's "ego" is bigger then his respect for the team and desire to win.

Lip

Daver
03-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Endemic:

The Sox are in that bind with Masset because they got him (along with Aardsma and someone else who's name escapes me right now) knowing full well that they had a limited number options available to them.

Masset was acquired along with John Danks and Jacob Rasner in the Brandon McCarthy trade.

Dan Mega
03-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Danks will prove to be worth it. How is Rasner doing these days, if anything?

Lip Man 1
03-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Daver:

I didn't mean that the Sox got him in the deal. Sorry for the confusion. I meant that Masset, Aardsma and a third pitcher they got that off season all had a limited number of options left to use.

Lip

champagne030
03-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Daver:

I didn't mean that the Sox got him in the deal. Sorry for the confusion. I meant that Masset, Aardsma and a third pitcher they got that off season all had a limited number of options left to use.

Lip

I believe there was some bad information going around here earlier that Sisco was out of options. He might be now, but at least they can stash him down there all year and see if a light goes on.

RockJock07
03-27-2008, 08:14 PM
It will be interesting to see what Ozzie will do with BA if he starts the season in a funk. I really believe we don't know all that much about Quentin, we know more about BA and he was bad when he was up here so in a few days we'll see what happens.

sox1970
03-27-2008, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Quentin was in LF on Monday, with Anderson watching the game from the bench.

JB98
03-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Quentin was in LF on Monday, with Anderson watching the game from the bench.

I like what I've seen from Quentin this spring, but such a move would be sacrificing defense for offense. Something we are doing too much of lately.

Tragg
03-27-2008, 09:14 PM
I like what I've seen from Quentin this spring, but such a move would be sacrificing defense for offense. Something we are doing too much of lately.
Not really; Crede's in and Fields is out; Uribe's in and whomever else is out; this is really the only real discretionary position where perhaps the offense is chosen over defense.

JB98
03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Not really; Crede's in and Fields is out; Uribe's in and whomever else is out; this is really the only real discretionary position where perhaps the offense is chosen over defense.

I guess I'm thinking back to last year with that comment, moreso than talking about this spring.

santo=dorf
03-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Danks will prove to be worth it. How is Rasner doing these days, if anything?
He has one fan here.

2007 at Kanny: 7-11, 6.83 ERA, 1.78 WHIP in 139.2 IP.

If we're going to mention Rasner, we should at least acknowledge David Paisano: .203/.273/.275/.548 with 20 SB's in 306 at-bats. Very Oney Guillen like.

champagne030
03-27-2008, 09:19 PM

I'm waiting to see how much Paco Martin, err, Pablo Ozuna and Alexei play before I determine if defense is being sacrificed in most places or just in the OF.

Tragg
03-27-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm waiting to see how much Paco Martin, err, Pablo Ozuna and Alexei play before I determine if defense is being sacrificed in most places or just in the OF.
I'm worried about Pablo playing (all too often) in the outfield.

Corlose 15
03-27-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm worried about Pablo playing (all too often) in the outfield.

Ozzie has already said that Ozuna won't be in the outfield this year.

champagne030
03-27-2008, 09:52 PM

He's said a lot of **** that has been complete bull****. :scratch:

oeo
03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
He's said a lot of **** that has been complete bull****. :scratch:

As an Ozzie supporter, this is true. There's been a lot of back-and-forth...he can't make up his mind about anything. He also said Ozuna would be leading off on Opening Day, but now it appears Swisher is.

I guess we have to wait and see how he's feeling on Monday before we know what the lineup will look like.

But I will say, I don't think his comment about Ozuna was bull****. The last couple of years, we haven't had any outfield depth, so that really forced Ozuna into left. Now we have plenty of outfielders, so Ozuna can stick to the infield.

ChiTownTrojan
03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Anderson, Quentin, and Ramirez (as well as Owens when he gets back) are all on the outfield depth chart before Ozuna. And Ozuna is one of only two backups on the roster (the other is Ramirez) that can play the infield. So there's really no reason to have him play at all in the OF.

Our backups:

Ozuna: 2B, 3B
Ramirez: SS, 2B, CF
Quentin/Anderson: OF (Anderson LF, CF; Quentin LF, RF)
Hall: C

1B is backed up by Swisher (with Anderson in CF and Quentin in LF)

Corlose 15
03-27-2008, 11:42 PM
As an Ozzie supporter, this is true. There's been a lot of back-and-forth...he can't make up his mind about anything. He also said Ozuna would be leading off on Opening Day, but now it appears Swisher is.

Ozuna is still leading off on Monday.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/swisher-takes-o.html

Tragg
03-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Our backups:

Ozuna: 2B, 3B
Ramirez: SS, 2B, CF
Quentin/Anderson: OF (Anderson LF, CF; Quentin LF, RF)
Hall: C

1B is backed up by Swisher (with Anderson in CF and Quentin in LF)
When you boil it down, this positional roster is basically what I had wanted except for Uribe instead of Richar - and that's injury. So keep Ozuna in the infield, and everything's grand.

California Sox
03-27-2008, 11:56 PM
I realize Pablo isn't a great outfielder, but that doesn't mean he should play more in the infield.

I just got back from Arizona. I saw three games 1 tie two losses. I don't think you can make gross generalizations based on spring games, but there is one thing I can say authoritatively: Ozuna is a terrible second baseman. He can't catch anything hit right at him, he has little range, poor footwork, doesn't turn the deuce well, and he dropped three popups. Other than that, he's a gold glover. I think his best position is pinch hitter.

palehozenychicty
03-28-2008, 09:40 AM
I realize Pablo isn't a great outfielder, but that doesn't mean he should play more in the infield.

I just got back from Arizona. I saw three games 1 tie two losses. I don't think you can make gross generalizations based on spring games, but there is one thing I can say authoritatively: Ozuna is a terrible second baseman. He can't catch anything hit right at him, he has little range, poor footwork, doesn't turn the deuce well, and he dropped three popups. Other than that, he's a gold glover. I think his best position is pinch hitter and pinch runner.

Made an addendum.