PDA

View Full Version : Be Fair to Jer

Soxboyrob
04-26-2002, 09:43 AM
Jerry Manuel actually deserves some degree of praise for his handling of the Sox pitching staff since the first week of the season. I never thought I'd be saying this, but he's doing a very fine job of picking and choosing between his relievers and putting the right guy in at the right time to stop the bleeding when it's really needed. When he's actually making the moves, I usually can't help but swear at Jer through my TV. But they seem to work out for the most part. Maybe the praise really ought to go to the actual pitchers, who are the guys actually retiring the opposing batters and doing a nice job of it. Either way, it's weird to be saying something nice about The Jer.

MarqSox
04-26-2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Jerry Manuel actually deserves some degree of praise for his handling of the Sox pitching staff since the first week of the season. I never thought I'd be saying this, but he's doing a very fine job of picking and choosing between his relievers and putting the right guy in at the right time to stop the bleeding when it's really needed. When he's actually making the moves, I usually can't help but swear at Jer through my TV. But they seem to work out for the most part. Maybe the praise really ought to go to the actual pitchers, who are the guys actually retiring the opposing batters and doing a nice job of it. Either way, it's weird to be saying something nice about The Jer.

Am I the only one on this board who thinks Manuel is a really good manager? Cause I get that impression a lot, but I find it hard to believe that all of you think he sucks. Where's the love?

Paulwny
04-26-2002, 10:05 AM
Many of us were upset last year with JM's continual line-up changes, his refusal to use ph's late in the game, etc. Due to injuries he was given a reprieve, this is the year to prove he can manage.
Nardi also hasn't taken any heat lately because the pitching has come around.
We're on a roll right now and almost everything looks good.

Soxboyrob
04-26-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Am I the only one on this board who thinks Manuel is a really good manager? Cause I get that impression a lot, but I find it hard to believe that all of you think he sucks. Where's the love?

I'm still waiting for Jer to demonstrate that he has any tactical management skills. I've liked his handling of the pitching this year, but he appears to have forgotten that it's ok to pinch hit or pinch run late in a game when scoring a run or two would be crucial. Pinch run for Konerko or Alomar in the ninth inning. Pinch hit for Babe Clayton in the ninth. Instead, he appears to want to save them, just in case the game goes into extra innings.

hold2dibber
04-26-2002, 11:29 AM
I agree that he's too trigger shy on late in the game substitutions (pinch hitting and pinch running). It seems to me that he is a very good "personality" manager; he gets the team to play hard and play as a team. The fact that they were able to go 69-50 after the bad start last year, despite all of the injuries and parade of untested pitchers through the starting rotation, I think is a testament to his abilities in terms of keeping the team together and motivated. I think he's okay at handling the pitching staff, although he over manages at bit in this area at times. Overall, I think he's a good manager, better than probably 75% of those in the league, but still not great on tactical stuff.

voodoochile
04-26-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I agree that he's too trigger shy on late in the game substitutions (pinch hitting and pinch running). It seems to me that he is a very good "personality" manager; he gets the team to play hard and play as a team. The fact that they were able to go 69-50 after the bad start last year, despite all of the injuries and parade of untested pitchers through the starting rotation, I think is a testament to his abilities in terms of keeping the team together and motivated. I think he's okay at handling the pitching staff, although he over manages at bit in this area at times. Overall, I think he's a good manager, better than probably 75% of those in the league, but still not great on tactical stuff.

But he does seem to be learning that stuff too. He has been much better with the bullpen this year (if a little trigger happy). He learned from his mistakes last year and went to a set lineup and has stuck with it - now if he can just learn to PH a bit more, things would be great. This was his first job as Manager. He has shown improvement and grown with the team.