PDA

View Full Version : Daily Star Claims Today is Sox' Last Tucson Home Game

Viva Medias B's
03-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Today's Arizona Daily Star claims in an article (http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/231590) that today is likely the White Sox' last home game at Tucson Electric Park. The article implies that this is a fait accompli and that the White Sox will train in Glendale in 2009. Yet, even though the article mentions the fact that the White Sox have yet to fulfill a term of their lease and find a replacement team for them at TEP Park before they can leave Tucson, it seems to overlook the increasingly strong possibility that they will be there at least in 2009 and maybe beyond. So far, the White Sox have gotten NOWHERE on this front. That is why Jerry Reinsdorf is trying to cut a deal with Pima County and escape to God's Country, the Phoenix area. If I'm Pima County, I'd tell Jerry to either pay the tens of millions of dollars owed if the White Sox want to break the lease without finding a replacement team (something that should not be done because that money could be used for player personnel purposes) or honor the balance of the lease by staying.

The White Sox, by leaving without finding a team to replace them, could destroy spring training in Tucson and cause a serious problem for the local economy. That is because it could trigger both the Diamondbacks and Rockies to leave Tucson too, for each team has a clause in their deals that require there to be three teams in Tucson for them to stay there. That would be a real shame. The folks in the Phoenix area, whose greed and desire to screw Tucson over each knows no bounds, must be salivating over this possibility. Not that Tucson and Pima County are without fault for their own lack of proactivity, but they do not deserve to be screwed over like this. If Jerry wants to pull up stakes, he owes it to Tucson and Pima County to make it up for them to the fullest.

russ99
03-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Today's Arizona Daily Star claims in an article (http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/231590) that today is likely the White Sox' last home game at Tucson Electric Park. The article implies that this is a fait accompli and that the White Sox will train in Glendale in 2009. Yet, even though the article mentions the fact that the White Sox have yet to fulfill a term of their lease and find a replacement team for them at TEP Park before they can leave Tucson, it seems to overlook the increasingly strong possibility that they will be there at least in 2009 and maybe beyond. So far, the White Sox have gotten NOWHERE on this front. That is why Jerry Reinsdorf is trying to cut a deal with Pima County and escape to God's Country, the Phoenix area. If I'm Pima County, I'd tell Jerry to either pay the tens of millions of dollars owed if the White Sox want to break the lease without finding a replacement team (something that should not be done because that money could be used for player personnel purposes) or honor the balance of the lease by staying.

The White Sox, by leaving without finding a team to replace them, could destroy spring training in Tucson and cause a serious problem for the local economy. That is because it could trigger both the Diamondbacks and Rockies to leave Tucson too, for each team has a clause in their deals that require there to be three teams in Tucson for them to stay there. That would be a real shame. The folks in the Phoenix area, whose greed and desire to screw Tucson over each knows no bounds, must be salivating over this possibility. Not that Tucson and Pima County are without fault for their own lack of proactivity, but they do not deserve to be screwed over like this. If Jerry wants to pull up stakes, he owes it to Tucson and Pima County to make it up for them to the fullest.

This should have been settled long ago, when the Sox committed money to buildng the park in Glendale. It's not fair to either party to let it wait on the only options at this point: The Sox getting another team in Tuscon Electric Park (not likely) or Jerry paying off to break the lease.

On a baseball side of things only, it would be crazy for the Sox not to leave. Why would the Sox put up the cash and let the Dodgers have the new park exclusively for 2-3 years? The Sox brass have long disliked the arrangement with the D-backs and having to share the park and facilities for a much older stadium, and players and staff often complain about the long bus-rides to Phoenix.

While the Rockies might use their out clause, I doubt the D-Backs leave their AAA home and train in town. Hopefully the Sox can find an out that would leave both parties happy.

LITTLE NELL
03-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Interesting to note that down here in the local paper today is that Florida is going to do all they can to stop the exodus of teams to Arizona. How I wish that the Sox would come back to the Sunshine State.

Steelrod
03-27-2008, 09:51 AM
And then again if Tucson presses it's contractual advantage, it sounds to me that Tucson would ultimately have zero teams!

doublem23
03-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Haven't we already been over this? BTW, if the Tucson/Phoenix "feud" is anything like the Chicago/eary other moderately sized city in Illinois "feud," then all the animosity if completely one-sided. I can honestly tell you people down here have a mindset that everyone in Chicago is actively going around trying to "screw" them. I never even heard of Peoria until I was 17 years old! I'm willing to bet that residents of Tucson are all up in arms, claiming those bastard Phonecians are doing everything they can to hold Tucson down, while everyone in Phoenix probably doesn't give much of a rat's ass about Tucson.

I'd much rather the Sox move to Glendale... I'm sure the new place will be nicer than Glendale, plus it would be convienent to fly directly to Phoenix, and I'd have the added benefit of being able to go to Peoria and Mesa and catching other team's.

Win-win.

MarySwiss
03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Haven't we already been over this?
Only around 20-30 times or so.

I'm willing to bet that residents of Tucson are all up in arms, claiming those bastard Phonecians are doing everything they can to hold Tucson down, while everyone in Phoenix probably doesn't give much of a rat's ass about Tucson.
I'd say that's probably close. As I mentioned the last time this came up, I basically never even think about Tucson except during ST.

And I don't really care whether they train in Tucson or Glendale. It's not like they're training at the Grand Canyon or something. Tucson is an easy drive from here, except when they start screwing around with the construction on I-10.

AZChiSoxFan
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM

:rolleyes:

Viva, enough already with your intense hatred for the Phx area. We got it already, you hate Phx. Your line about Phoenicians and their desire to screw Tucson is absolutely laughable. Honestly, the vast majority of people in Phx don't even give the first thought to anyone or anything in the Old Pueblo.

The fact of the matter is that ST in Tucson is going away, regardless of what the Sox do. From everything I've read and heard in the local media, the D-backs no longer have any interest in training down there.

chisox117
03-27-2008, 03:22 PM
The folks in the Phoenix area, whose greed and desire to screw Tucson over each knows no bounds, must be salivating over this possibility.

Guilty as charged :redface:

asg2003ws2005
03-27-2008, 03:44 PM
This should have been settled long ago, when the Sox committed money to buildng the park in Glendale. It's not fair to either party to let it wait on the only options at this point: The Sox getting another team in Tuscon Electric Park (not likely) or Jerry paying off to break the lease.

On a baseball side of things only, it would be crazy for the Sox not to leave. Why would the Sox put up the cash and let the Dodgers have the new park exclusively for 2-3 years? The Sox brass have long disliked the arrangement with the D-backs and having to share the park and facilities for a much older stadium, and players and staff often complain about the long bus-rides to Phoenix.

While the Rockies might use their out clause, I doubt the D-Backs leave their AAA home and train in town. Hopefully the Sox can find an out that would leave both parties happy.the "older" stadium was built in 1998. sox moved in there while there was still sawdust on the ground

TDog
03-27-2008, 03:44 PM
... Your line about Phoenicians and their desire to screw Tucson is absolutely laughable. Honestly, the vast majority of people in Phx don't even give the first thought to anyone or anything in the Old Pueblo.

Without getting into a political discussion, but in defense of Viva, historically the Phoenicians' "desire to screw Tucson" is historically rooted in political reality.

asg2003ws2005
03-27-2008, 03:45 PM
:rolleyes:

Viva, enough already with your intense hatred for the Phx area. We got it already, you hate Phx. Your line about Phoenicians and their desire to screw Tucson is absolutely laughable. Honestly, the vast majority of people in Phx don't even give the first thought to anyone or anything in the Old Pueblo.

The fact of the matter is that ST in Tucson is going away, regardless of what the Sox do. From everything I've read and heard in the local media, the D-backs no longer have any interest in training down there.i'm suprised the dbacks ever went to tucson in the first place.

they could play in the bob.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2008, 03:57 PM
i'm suprised the dbacks ever went to tucson in the first place.

they could play in the bob.

I think it should be a rule that teams from the West have to go to Florida and teams from the East to Arizona, especially in the case of the D-backs. They should not be allowed to play ST in their own State so that it gives their fans that "vacation" destination to go watch ST baseball. Playing at the BOB will make things even worse as far as losing that opening day feel of things.

My dream is for the Sox to return to Florida at a tourist destination like Daytona, Ft Myers, or even Orlando.

whitesoxwilkes
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Interesting to note that down here in the local paper today is that Florida is going to do all they can to stop the exodus of teams to Arizona. How I wish that the Sox would come back to the Sunshine State.

I was down in FL last week (caught the Twins, Rays, Tigers and Phillies) and everyone was buzzing about how it seems like each year another team announces they're leaving Florida for AZ.

It's a damned shame in my opinion. I'm also pretty appalled the Rays are leaving historic Al Lang field to go to Port Charlotte?

AZChiSoxFan
03-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Without getting into a political discussion, but in defense of Viva, historically the Phoenicians' "desire to screw Tucson" is historically rooted in political reality.

If you are refering to a select group of people, then you MAY be correct. However, having been on both sides of the fence, I feel quite comfortable in stating that while the majority of people in Tucson obsess about Phx and how much they hate it, the majority of people in Phx barely even know that Tucson exists.

FedEx227
03-28-2008, 12:10 AM
Last game in Tucson?

Good.

I want Mags back
03-28-2008, 12:17 AM
I think it should be a rule that teams from the West have to go to Florida and teams from the East to Arizona

:scratch:

michned
03-28-2008, 12:31 AM

Yep, it has to do with money (or the lack of it) that Tucson and Pima County get from the state government. Yeah, a lot of goofballs just talk smack but the whole tax dollar argument is a valid one.

I am wondering if JR is trying to see if the Rockies can move into TEP next year and then deal with the City and the lost revenue from the Rockies leaving the Hi Corbett complex.

I have said this before, it's hard to blame the Sox on this one. The Glendale complex will bring way more visitors and they will draw much better. There will be all kinds of stuff to do around the park, not like at TEP. Right now, watching a game at Hi Corbett is a better experience for the average tourist than at TEP. There's two golf courses, a zoo, and a redeveloping shopping mall all within walking distance of the park. The park is basic but it's got charm - check it out in the Spring Training scenes in "Major League."

russ99
03-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Here's Ozzie's quote:

"The only thing I hate about Tucson is the ballpark (Tucson Electric Park). The field is brutal. It's windy, cold, dirty and too much wind every day."

He thinks the Sox are staying, but I doubt it.

Makes me wonder how the Sox got to that arrangement sharing a sub-par park with the "hometown" D-Backs in the first place... Maybe something to do with Jerry's Bulls ties with (at the time) D-Back president Jerry Colangelo?

asg2003ws2005
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I was down in FL last week (caught the Twins, Rays, Tigers and Phillies) and everyone was buzzing about how it seems like each year another team announces they're leaving Florida for AZ.

It's a damned shame in my opinion. I'm also pretty appalled the Rays are leaving historic Al Lang field to go to Port Charlotte?They are vacating Al Lang Field to build this:

http://www.majorleaguedowntown.com/userfiles/image/57_BallPark5_med.jpg

FedEx227
03-28-2008, 01:14 PM
They are vacating Al Lang Field to build this:

http://www.majorleaguedowntown.com/userfiles/image/57_BallPark5_med.jpg

No, they are vacating Tropicana Field to build that. That's their pro stadium, not a minor league park.

asg2003ws2005
03-28-2008, 02:13 PM
No, they are vacating Tropicana Field to build that. That's their pro stadium, not a minor league park.Al Lang field is thier SPRING TRAINING home. read wilkes' post

FedEx227
03-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Ah, I get it now. My fault. I read it wrong. You were right. :bandance:

asg2003ws2005
03-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Ah, I get it now. My fault. I read it wrong. You were right. :bandance:it's all good

TDog
03-29-2008, 04:21 AM
If you are refering to a select group of people, then you MAY be correct. However, having been on both sides of the fence, I feel quite comfortable in stating that while the majority of people in Tucson obsess about Phx and how much they hate it, the majority of people in Phx barely even know that Tucson exists.

I was referring to things like the Central Arizona Project and, as michned so succinctly put it, money. (Money and water, pretty much the same thing in the desert.) If most of the people in Phoenix barely know Tucson exists, that is a huge part of the perceived problem.

While people in the state of Maricopa thinks they can do without Tucson (or Flagstaff or Quartzsite for that matter), the Diamondbacks need fans from Tucson. Arizona's major league baseball team trains in Tucson for political reasons, and I don't ever see the Diamondbacks moving their camp to the Valley.