PDA

View Full Version : Clayton-Valentin Thread?

Soxboyrob
04-26-2002, 09:40 AM
Anyone? Another Clayton vs. Valentin thread?
Both of these guys are playing stellar defense at their positions. Maybe it's just me, but is Jose growing into the third base position and looking almost like it's a natural position for him? He used to drive me nuts playing third, but after seeing Graffy try and play defense there, I have a new appreciation for Jose's fine defensive abilities there. I figured that there would be a push all season for Jose to be moved to SS, especially when he started making a bunch of errors at third. Instead, both guys are playing sensationally in the field. Our infield defense has had a lot to do with why we're playing so well this year, rather than providing reasons for losses.

FarmerAndy
04-26-2002, 01:09 PM
I have also been very happy with the left side of the infield.

The argument was always that Valentin needed to be at shortstop because that's his natural position. It looks to me like Jose is way better at 3rd than shortstop. He's doing a good job of picking the ball and his rocket arm is perfect for making that long throw to first from the left corner of the infield.

Jose only has one error at third and Clayton has none at short. I LIKE IT!

Iwritecode
04-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I have also been very happy with the left side of the infield.

The argument was always that Valentin needed to be at shortstop because that's his natural position. It looks to me like Jose is way better at 3rd than shortstop. He's doing a good job of picking the ball and his rocket arm is perfect for making that long throw to first from the left corner of the infield.

Jose only has one error at third and Clayton has none at short. I LIKE IT!

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at what these two have done so far. Although Royce could stand to raise that BA to over .200... :smile:

I always knew Jose had the arm to make the throw from third, it just wasn't always on line. It's always been said that most of his errors are mental. I'm wondering if being at third increases his concentration a little because he doesn't have as much time to think. The ball gets to him a little quicker and he doesn't have as much time to think about it. Just get the ball and throw it. If they can both keep it up and the team keeps winning, I'll have no complaints...

voodoochile
04-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at what these two have done so far. Although Royce could stand to raise that BA to over .200... :smile:

I always knew Jose had the arm to make the throw from third, it just wasn't always on line. It's always been said that most of his errors are mental. I'm wondering if being at third increases his concentration a little because he doesn't have as much time to think. The ball gets to him a little quicker and he doesn't have as much time to think about it. Just get the ball and throw it. If they can both keep it up and the team keeps winning, I'll have no complaints...

They were talking about this the other night on the telecast. Hawk said that Jose had worked on the mechanics of his throwing motion and is concentrating on coming over the top every time. In the past he had a tendency to drop down side-arm and that was when the ball sailed on him. If you watch the games, you can see that Jose is being much better at coming over the top - seems to be working so far. In fact, our position coaching this year has been much better all the way around, imo (even Nardi - though it may be to late for him).

Moses_Scurry
04-26-2002, 01:56 PM
I bet Jose did something in the offseason to work on his focus and concentration. It seemed like most of his errors were not due to bad mechanics as just mental mistakes. He'd make a great diving play, but then just let the next ball go through his legs. Maybe he called in Mack Newton to give him some of that new age, hypnosis, motivational therapy! Whatever it was, it seems to have worked miracles so far.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2002, 02:33 PM
If I am not mistaken, Jose went and played tons of winter ball at 3B.