PDA

View Full Version : 1981 WGN sportscast - Sox video

kba
03-26-2008, 09:45 PM
People of a certain age will remember that before there were such things as ESPN and MLB.TV, the daily sportscasts on channel 9 were the best place to see extended highlights of ballgames. Here's (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1162&p=1) an example from June 12, 1981. (Yes, it's the morning sports report during the Bozo show!) In the style of the day, there's about three minutes of highlights from the previous day's Sox and Cub games ... and they include the original play-by-play audio from Harry, Joe McConnell, Jack Brickhouse, and Lou Boudreau. Classic.

It's also pretty obvious from these highlights where the baseball excitement was in Chicago in 1981. That's a vocal crowd of 33,777 at the game at Comiskey, cheering on Fisk, Baines, and Luzinski. 5017 showed up at Wrigley to cheer on Steve Dillard, Hector Cruz, and the last-place Cubs.

Gammons Peter
03-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Baines with the hose!!

chisoxmike
03-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Who is the classless Sox broadcaster imitating the great Cubs broadcaster Harry Carry?????

whtsx1959
03-27-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm glad to see camera work is more refined these days. Some of those shots were awkward and ambiguous.

LITTLE NELL
03-27-2008, 05:06 AM
I was at the Sox-Yankee game, it was the last game before the strike and my buddies and me just sat in the stands after the game while old Comiskey cleared out. We were really depressed because we felt the Sox were on the way to at least a division title and we had our best team since 77 after 3 sub .500 years.

Hitmen77
03-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Who is the classless Sox broadcaster imitating the great Cubs broadcaster Harry Carry?????

Cub fans hated that Sox broadcaster, they thought we has an embarrassment to baseball and perfectly represented how Sox fans just went to games to get drunk.

soxrme
03-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Cub fans hated that Sox broadcaster, they thought we has an embarrassment to baseball and perfectly represented how Sox fans just went to games to get drunk.
And there was a lot of that going on

russ99
03-27-2008, 01:30 PM
And there was a lot of that going on

Not just drunk either, if that cloud of green smoke floating around that upper walkway under the grandstand was any indication.

Man, I miss that place.

Law11
03-27-2008, 02:12 PM
That was fun to watch.. Good find..

WhiteSox5187
03-27-2008, 02:41 PM
We got screwed in '81.

asg2003ws2005
03-27-2008, 02:46 PM
We got screwed in '81.blame the players and owners

TomBradley72
03-27-2008, 04:30 PM
I was at the ballpark the night of the game in the highlights...we really had some momentum at the time of the strike. Fisk and Luzinski were hot and Hoyt was emerging as a force out of the bullpen.

We DID get screwed in '81...not as bad as '94....but that would have been a hell of a season.

Fenway
03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
here is a dark moment

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1161&p=1 (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1161&p=1)

Brian26
03-27-2008, 06:23 PM
here is a dark moment

http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1161&p=1 (http://www.fuzzymemories.tv/screen.php?c=1161&p=1)

Some great quotes there. At 3:06, the guy on the street says, "well there might be some conflict of interest there, I'm sure you'll agree to that."

Dan Mega
03-27-2008, 06:59 PM
I was almost 5 months old during this time. If you were old enough to remember '81, let that settle in for a bit :cool:

Vernam
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Great to see Piniella throw the ball away from RF, though he did have an RBI single after that. Check out Kevin Hickey running off the field after he struck someone out to end an inning. I forgot he was in the bigs back in '81.

Vernam

kba
03-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Great to see Piniella throw the ball away from RF, though he did have an RBI single after that. Check out Kevin Hickey running off the field after he struck someone out to end an inning. I forgot he was in the bigs back in '81.

Vernam

You can hear Piersall in the background yelling "Tug McGraw" as Hickey runs off the field.

hsnterprize
03-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Can you imagine how Harry Caray would REALLY be remembered if he hadn't had the fallout with Jerry Reinsdorf. Even if Harry were to go to the Cubs, people across the country would know that Harry's style was further refined with the White Sox before he went to the north side.

In regards to the fallout, I mean the Sox would've been more aggressive in marketing the fact that while Harry's popularity obviously peaked as a Cubs announcer, his trademark "7th Inning Stretch", along with his "tell-it-like-it-is" style of announcing was popular with the White Sox and their fanbase. But, Harry knew his name would go further on a national scale with WGN's expansion in the 80's to a "superstation" rather than Reinsdorf's "good-but-ill-timed" idea of pay-TV viewing of games. It's a shame those two didn't get along afterwards...Reinsdorf clearly burned that bridge when the Sox celebrated their 1983 A.L. West Division title with his "...I hope this exposes you for the scum you are." comment.

If someone could post some video with that line, I'd appreciate it.

Brian26
03-29-2008, 11:02 AM
It's easy to forget how drastically different the styles of Brickhouse and Harry were. Just watching those highlights makes it seem like going to a Sox game would be more fun.

Lip Man 1
03-29-2008, 12:44 PM
HSN:

I have the video but have no idea how to post things like that.

He actually said while being interviewed by Hawk Harrelson, "Harry and Jimmy wherever you are I hope you realize what scum you are."

Hawk was stunned momentarily into silence.

Lip

white sox bill
03-29-2008, 04:45 PM
HSN:

He actually said while being interviewed by Hawk Harrelson, "Harry and Jimmy wherever you are I hope you realize what scum you are."

Lip

I don't think it was that particular interview but didn't JR isolate Bill Veeck and say something like "Yea we are going to run a first-class operation here" insinuating that Veeck didn't. I think JR had a hard time keeping his piehole shut back in the early days. And it cost him
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/misc/progress.gif

asg2003ws2005
03-29-2008, 05:33 PM
HSN:

Lip

I don't think it was that particular interview but didn't JR isolate Bill Veeck and say something like "Yea we are going to run a first-class operation here" insinuating that Veeck didn't. I think JR had a hard time keeping his piehole shut back in the early days. And it cost him

Arrogance can REALLY come back to haunt you.

Jerry's learned this in both the Sox and Bulls.

TommyJohn
03-29-2008, 06:36 PM

It was actually Einhorn who made the "first class" remark but I see your
point. I remember a PR firm that the team brought in finally advised Einhorn
to keep a low profile.

Lip Man 1
03-29-2008, 07:23 PM
It was also Rich Lindberg then working for the Sox in a 'historical research' capacity who also recommended Eddie start keeping quiet.

This is from my interview with Mike Veeck on the subject:

ML: That group made the first in a long line of faux paux when Eddie Einhorn made a statement the day they bought the club along the lines of ‘we’re going to start running a first class operation.’ Many Sox fans and reportedly your dad were shocked and insulted by that comment. Making it worse was that your dad was right there when it was said. How did your dad and the Veeck family feel about that comment?

MV: “We have never equated money with class. Just because we didn’t wear two hundred dollar shirts and three thousand dollar suits didn’t mean we didn’t have manners or didn’t respect other people. The one thing that my family has always done first and foremost was respect the fans of baseball and the game of baseball.”

ML: I have heard that supposedly, Eddie Einhorn over the years privately apologized to your dad and tried to mend fences with him to no avail. Is that true?

MV: “No Eddie Einhorn never apologized for that remark, Jerry Reinsdorf did, and there is a difference between those two men.”

Lip

white sox bill
03-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks to both Tommy John and you, Mark for the correction! Sounds like Eddie had more dollars than sense!:rolleyes:

Elephant
03-30-2008, 04:44 PM
"This has always been a cubs town dude."

Yes, clearly.

Lip Man 1
03-30-2008, 04:56 PM
In point of fact this has NOT always been a "Cubs town."

From 1951 to about 1965 the Cubs couldn't get arrested in this town, they got little media coverage and the only thing they had going for them was Ernie Banks.

Conversely the Sox outdrew the Cubs every season but one from 51 through 67, had the nationally known players, always posted winning seasons and nearly copped the pennants in 64 and 67 in addition to actually winning one in 59.

Whomever made that statement doesn't know what they are talking about.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
03-30-2008, 05:35 PM

From 1951 to about 1965 the Cubs couldn't get arrested in this town, they got little media coverage and the only thing they had going for them was Ernie Banks.

Conversely the Sox outdrew the Cubs every season but one from 51 through 67, had the nationally known players, always posted winning seasons and nearly copped the pennants in 64 and 67 in addition to actually winning one in 59.

Lip
Lip, you took the words right out of my mouth, it was great growing up in those years. In fact in 1962 I was a vendor at both parks and made peanuts at Wrigley and did very well at Comiskey. On weekdays at Wrigley usual crowd was 3,000 to 7,000, weekends 10,000 or so. Sox would draw 12-15 thousand for weeknight games and 20 to 30 thousand for weekends. When the Yankees came to town 40,000 or so.

Elephant
03-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Lip

It's a general litany of ill informed cub fans. I thought the video illustrated how different things were in the early 80s. The cubs and wrigley and all that really became the phenomenon that it is during the Sammy years. Historically it's the exception to the rule.

LITTLE NELL
03-30-2008, 06:34 PM
I would break it down this way to what team owns the town:
1901-1910 Even
1911-1920 Sox
1921-1950 Cubs
1951-1967 Sox
1968-1971 Cubs
1972-1990 Even
1991-1994 Sox
1995 to present Cubs
A few years ago I looked at the attendance figures for both clubs from 1901 to 1995 and it was about 50-50 in what club had the larger attendance by year. The Cubs had a very small edge in average yearly attendance. Bottom line is that it has not been a Cub town.

Elephant
03-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Agreed.

The period of 21-50 was the dark ages. The Sox took decades to really recover from 1919, while the Cubs had a pretty successful run of occasional pennants, albeit no championships of course.

kba
04-07-2008, 09:50 AM
HSN:

Lip

Lip,

I watched the video of the '83 celebration on Fuzzy's site, including Hawk's interview with Reinsdorf, but it doesn't include the "scum" comment. When did he say it?

Lip Man 1
04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
It was during that interview segment. That's more stuff I sent to Fuzzy by the way. I have that comment in another location and haven't mailed it out yet to him.

Lip