PDA

View Full Version : Is there still a possibility for a trade before opening day?

soxfandy
03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
I believe we have one too many position players and that it seems like we want to get all of them playing time. Owens starts on the DL so we do not have a leadoff hitter and I am still soo worried about our rotation beyond jv, mb,and jd! It sounds like the orioles are opening up brian roberts to other teams besides the cubs and that would fill two holes for us...first it would get uribe the hell outta here and we would have a legitimate leadoff hitter. Maybe we could package some kind of deal involving uribe, crede, BA, and maybe floyd. Then we could turn around and I believe get a solid #3 starter for paulie, eventhough i would hate to see him go. Then our whole team would fall together by looking like this:

C- A.J.
1B- Swisher
2B- Roberts
SS- Cabrera
3B- Crede (Fields if Crede is traded)
LF- Quentin
CF- Alexei (I know alot bash his defense, but he has soo much RAW talent to play out here)
RF- Dye
DH- Thome
Utility Infielder- Ozuna
Extra Outfielder- Owens

Starting Rotation:
1. MB
2. JV
3. Solid starter acquired for Konerko
4. JD
5. JC

Bullpen:
Same as now

I hate to play GM, but i think this would be posssible and it makes alot more fall into place on this team. The team above or something like that looks like a team that could be very competitive! I know it is very unlikely for anything to happen considering it is soooo close to opening day, but I am just hoping there is something that is being worked on. We are still about 2 moves away I think. What do you guys think about all this?

Lip Man 1
03-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Teams have set their rosters and are going to let things play out for a little bit. I think the chances of a deal are small, not zero, but maybe ten per cent.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
03-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't think we're going to be getting Roberts anytime soon...as great as that'd be I think we're more or less stuck with what we have.

cards press box
03-26-2008, 09:29 PM
It's not impossible but highly unlikely. In 1984, the Cubs dealt Bill Campbell for Gary Matthews, Sr. and Bob Dernier right before opening day but that is one of the few major deals I can ever remember right on the eve of opening day.

oeo
03-26-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll tell you one thing: if someone is traded before Opening Day, it sure as hell won't be Konerko.

BUMMER
03-26-2008, 11:08 PM
I believe we have one too many position players and that it seems like we want to get all of them playing time. Owens starts on the DL so we do not have a leadoff hitter and I am still soo worried about our rotation beyond jv, mb,and jd! It sounds like the orioles are opening up brian roberts to other teams besides the cubs and that would fill two holes for us...first it would get uribe the hell outta here and we would have a legitimate leadoff hitter. Maybe we could package some kind of deal involving uribe, crede, BA, and maybe floyd. Then we could turn around and I believe get a solid #3 starter for paulie, eventhough i would hate to see him go. Then our whole team would fall together by looking like this:

C- A.J.
1B- Swisher
2B- Roberts
SS- Cabrera
3B- Crede (Fields if Crede is traded)
LF- Quentin
CF- Alexei (I know alot bash his defense, but he has soo much RAW talent to play out here)
RF- Dye
DH- Thome
Utility Infielder- Ozuna
Extra Outfielder- Owens

Starting Rotation:
1. MB
2. JV
3. Solid starter acquired for Konerko
4. JD
5. JC

Bullpen:
Same as now

I hate to play GM, but i think this would be posssible and it makes alot more fall into place on this team. The team above or something like that looks like a team that could be very competitive! I know it is very unlikely for anything to happen considering it is soooo close to opening day, but I am just hoping there is something that is being worked on. We are still about 2 moves away I think. What do you guys think about all this?

yes, 2 moves, maybe 3 - Roberts WOULD solve a couple of spots (2B & leadoff), but will Kw pull it off? If so, we can include Owens and Richar w/ Uribe in that trade, and keep BA as a solid 4th OF (& def replacement) or Ramirez in a 2B/CF role - trade Crede (if a market arises) for a pitcher like Floyd (high prospect that original team can't no longer wait for) - the 3rd move is to part ways with one-dimensional Thome (Swisher to first, PK to DH - or Swisher & Quentin in OF corners, Dye to DH - or Fields to DH, etc...) Konerko doesn't need to be traded

LoveYourSuit
03-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I'll tell you one thing: if someone is traded before Opening Day, it sure as hell won't be Konerko.

:scratch:

I don't get it?

Why not?

Chicken Dinner
03-26-2008, 11:37 PM
I still think Masset could be traded seeing as he has no options.

TDog
03-26-2008, 11:57 PM
In 1978, the White Sox traded Steve Renko, who many thought would start opening day, and starting catcher Jim Essian to the A's for Pablo Torreabla just before opening day. That was not a good deal, but the 1978 White Sox were not a good team.

With the trade deadline coming so late in the season now, such trades don't happen very often.

soxfandy
03-27-2008, 12:34 AM

Why is this? He has the salary to match any pitcher that is worth getting for him and an even bigger reason is that we would be able to trade him before he reaches his 10/5 status. I don't wanna see him go either, but I say if the price is right go ahead and pull the trigger. There are alot of teams in the NL that could use a good fielding/power hitting first baseman in the middle of their lineup!

btrain929
03-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Why is this? He has the salary to match any pitcher that is worth getting for him and an even bigger reason is that we would be able to trade him before he reaches his 10/5 status. I don't wanna see him go either, but I say if the price is right go ahead and pull the trigger. There are alot of teams in the NL that could use a good fielding/power hitting first baseman in the middle of their lineup!

I count about 2.

kittle42
03-27-2008, 12:56 AM
:threadsucks

BRDSR
03-27-2008, 06:56 AM
I still think Masset could be traded seeing as he has no options.

He won't be traded because if that's the only reason he gets traded, we'll get absolutely nothing back for him. He'll start the season on the roster, hopefully be at least average in the long relief role, and we can trade him at the break as part of a package deal to secure a quality starter for our playoff push.

MISoxfan
03-27-2008, 07:25 AM
What does salmon represent? Hopeful sarcasm?