PDA

View Full Version : The Sodfather

KRS1
03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Great article in April's Smithsonian magazine about the man Roger Bossard and his family.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/sodfather.html

The first five paragraphs are about his Wrigley renovation, but it's a really good read regardless.

ChetChat
03-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I just finished reading the article and logged in to say the exact same thing! Now the whole non baseball world can know that our Roger is the real deal.

itsnotrequired
03-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I just finished reading the article and logged in to say the exact same thing! Now the whole non baseball world can know that our Roger is the real deal.

Bossard has been doing non-baseball fields for years now.

I want Mags back
03-26-2008, 10:48 PM
"Now in his 42nd season with the White Sox, Bossard, 59, has toiled in sod and soil since his teens. He studied agronomy at Purdue University but walked away from a college degree when he was offered a groundskeeping job at old Comiskey Park on Chicago's South Side."

He's a Boiler. ****, I can't like him anymore.

ChetChat
03-27-2008, 12:13 AM

I was referring to the world of Smithsonian readers by "non baseball world" :?:

SoxFan64
03-27-2008, 12:39 AM
The article was nice. But I have a bone to pick with the Chicago based writer, Mike Thomas. He wrote:

"Gene had presided over Comiskey Park for 40 years without witnessing a World Series trophy in White Sox hands—the result, some said, of a curse the team suffered following the "Black Sox" gambling scandal of 1919."

Where does this curse come from? Ok the Cubs have a curse and the Red Sox had a curse. But in my 45 years of cheering for the Sox I never heard a self-respecting Sox fan blame our fate on a curse. We lost for the most basic of reasons -- we weren't very good.

I can't believe a Chicago writer- not based in Tribune Tower -- writing this stuff. The Smithsonian does not hire hacks to free lance for them. Just disappointed with the fall back on tired old theories that don't hold up to light.

IlliniSox4Life
03-27-2008, 01:05 AM
The article was nice. But I have a bone to pick with the Chicago based writer, Mike Thomas. He wrote:

"Gene had presided over Comiskey Park for 40 years without witnessing a World Series trophy in White Sox hands—the result, some said, of a curse the team suffered following the "Black Sox" gambling scandal of 1919."

Where does this curse come from? Ok the Cubs have a curse and the Red Sox had a curse. But in my 45 years of cheering for the Sox I never heard a self-respecting Sox fan blame our fate on a curse. We lost for the most basic of reasons -- we weren't very good.

I can't believe a Chicago writer- not based in Tribune Tower -- writing this stuff. The Smithsonian does not hire hacks to free lance for them. Just disappointed with the fall back on tired old theories that don't hold up to light.

It came from the ESPN coverage once we got in the World Series in 2005. I imagine the thoughts of some writer over there went something like

Okay, let's see, got to get some material for this show on the World Series. I'll just open up our file on the Houston Astros...... There's all sorts of good information in here. Let's see now, who else is in the series. The White Sox? Is this a typo? I thought they were called the Red Sox. Let's just do a google search....huh, what do you know, there's another 'Sox' team.... and they play in Chicago?! The Cubs are from Chicago. Maybe this is a minor league team... someone's got to be pulling a prank.. Oh well, the Cubs are cursed right. Let's see how long the Sox haven't been in it... 87 years?! That's longer than the Red Sox. Well if the Sawx were cursed and the Cubs are cursed, the White Sox must be...let's do another google search... holy hell, they threw the World Series?! If that's not a curse I don't know what is. I mean if curses existed that is actually something to get cursed over. I bet they talk about this curse all the time in Chicago. Maybe we should actually get a reporter out there sometime to check out these "White" Sox.

JNS
03-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Mods - if this is not the correct place to post this, please move it as necessary - thanks!

A very nice article on Roger Bossard and Dad in this month's Smithsonian Mag. Unfortunately the opening graphs are about his work this off-season at Wrigley. But some nice pix of the Cell and a good overview of his fantastic work over the years, along with some history - his Dad and Grandfather.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/sodfather.html

itsnotrequired
03-27-2008, 09:02 AM
I was referring to the world of Smithsonian readers by "non baseball world" :?:

Ah, I see where you are coming from. I was saying that people in sports other than baseball already know about him. Perhaps you meant to say non-sports world.

Semantics battle! Where's kittle42?!:D:

Mr.1Dog
03-27-2008, 09:05 AM
A great read.:bandance:

skottyj242
03-27-2008, 09:43 AM
It says that he came aboard for the 1967 pennant season. Wasn't that the Red Sox that won the pannant in 1967? Other than that great read.

skottyj242
03-27-2008, 10:26 AM
The article says hey came to the team in the pennant year of 1967. Didn't the Red Sox win the pennant that year?

JNS
03-27-2008, 10:42 AM
It says that he came aboard for the 1967 pennant season. Wasn't that the Red Sox that won the pannant in 1967? Other than that great read.

Good point - that and the opening graph references to Wrigley, Harry as the Cubs announcer, and the Sox as that OTHER team just feeds our paranoia.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Maybe the Smithsonian should read Forbes. Why would Bossard want to work in a "dump"?

Yes, it's a dump that's game ready in no time after a heavy rain. That's why the assclowns on the North side hired him. But hey, what do we know, our park is a toilet.

Frontman
03-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I found the article very well done. Kudos to Roger, the Sodfather of the Southside!

Palehose Pete
03-28-2008, 10:53 PM
It came from the ESPN coverage once we got in the World Series in 2005. I imagine the thoughts of some writer over there went something like

Okay, let's see, got to get some material for this show on the World Series. I'll just open up our file on the Houston Astros...... There's all sorts of good information in here. Let's see now, who else is in the series. The White Sox? Is this a typo? I thought they were called the Red Sox. Let's just do a google search....huh, what do you know, there's another 'Sox' team.... and they play in Chicago?! The Cubs are from Chicago. Maybe this is a minor league team... someone's got to be pulling a prank.. Oh well, the Cubs are cursed right. Let's see how long the Sox haven't been in it... 87 years?! That's longer than the Red Sox. Well if the Sawx were cursed and the Cubs are cursed, the White Sox must be...let's do another google search... holy hell, they threw the World Series?! If that's not a curse I don't know what is. I mean if curses existed that is actually something to get cursed over. I bet they talk about this curse all the time in Chicago. Maybe we should actually get a reporter out there sometime to check out these "White" Sox.

LOL

bigfoot
03-29-2008, 11:23 AM

IIRC, Roger did some "non-baseball" work at Clark and Addison, just last year.:gulp::gulp::gulp: