PDA

View Full Version : Who is your surprise team of 2008?

chisoxmike
03-26-2008, 12:43 PM
For the past few years a team that nobody picks to do anything comes out of nowhere and wins their division/wild card and makes a good run. In '05 it was our Sox, in '06 it was the Tigers, last year it was the Rockies.

Who do you think it will be this year?

oeo
03-26-2008, 12:44 PM
In the midst of all the Mets and Phillies garbage, the Braves re-take the NL East crown.

btrain929
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Cincinnatti Reds.

Bruce, Cueto, Cordero, maybe Bailey, and Dunn in his contract year will light a spark into this team, and they will make some noise.

oeo
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Cincinnatti Reds.

Bruce, Cueto, Cordero, maybe Bailey, and Dunn in his contract year will light a spark into this team, and they will make some noise.

Did you forget that toothpick man is their manager?

chisoxmike
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
In the midst of all the Mets and Phillies garbage, the Braves re-take the NL East crown.

I knew I forgot to add a team to the poll. :mad:

sox1970
03-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I think the Twins are a decent team, even without Santana. Some good, young offensive talent, and some really good, young starting pitching...and they still have that bullpen.

Kevin Slowey will be the starter for the Twins on the Sox opening day. He had a real good start last year against the Sox.

btrain929
03-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Did you forget that toothpick man is their manager?

He has a history of doing really well in the 1st year, maybe the first 2 years of his tenure with a new team. After that is when it goes to ****...

soxfanatlanta
03-26-2008, 12:51 PM

It will be the last hurrah for Smoltz, and Glavine. If their bullpen performs well, they will be a very exciting team to watch.

soxfanatlanta
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Kevin Slowey will be the starter for the Twins on the Sox opening day. He had a real good start last year against the Sox.

A starter having a good game against the Sox the first time he faces them? Never.

sox1970
03-26-2008, 12:56 PM
A starter having a good game against the Sox the first time he faces them? Never.

Good pint.

He is a good pitcher though.

soxfan13
03-26-2008, 01:02 PM

Damn you beat me to it!!

spiffie
03-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Does Seattle count in this? Because I have a feeling they are going to win the AL West this season, and could make some noise in the playoffs.

goofymsfan
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Does Seattle count in this? Because I have a feeling they are going to win the AL West this season, and could make some noise in the playoffs.

I'd really like to see this happen.

palehozenychicty
03-26-2008, 01:08 PM
The D-Rays are really, really close to being a factor for quite awhile.

moochpuppy
03-26-2008, 01:08 PM
A tough decision between the Rays and Astros but I think the Rays are finally ready to turn the corner.

skottyj242
03-26-2008, 01:18 PM
I like the Reds and the Blue Jays.

WhiteSox5187
03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm going the homer route and picking the Sox, but I really think the Rays are going to turn some heads this year and could possibily finish second if the Red Sox or Yankees run into injuries.

I want Mags back
03-26-2008, 02:10 PM
either the Rays or Jays will finish ahead of the Yankees. NEither will go to the playoffs, the WC comes from the central

doublem23
03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
I think Baker will do fine in the first year or so he's in Cincinnati... He's got a good reputation of motivating superstars and getting a lot of his pitchers. Plus, it takes about a full year before he can blow out everyone's arm.

The Reds are going to win 90 games this year and take the NL Central.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Rays. They gotta win sometime right?

JohnTucker0814
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm going with the Twins... most everyone is writing this team off because they lost Santana and Hunter. I think they've upgraded offensively adding Delmon Young (superior hitter to Hunter in my mind) and Carlos Gomez to play CF, kid had 64 SB in minors a few years ago. They still have Mauer, Morneau and Cuddyer... Liriano possibly back to cover for Santana... watch out for those fiesty guys from up north!

oeo
03-26-2008, 05:05 PM
I thought the point of the thread was to pick the surprise team that is suddenly elite?

I'm surprised so many people picked the Rays. While I don't think they're the same garbage they have been in years past, they're still not a team worthy of strong playoff push. Maybe it's the 'surprise' that I'm missing here, but if you look at the surprise teams that were mentioned, they had solid veteran cores...the Rays are still too young to make that big push in the AL East. If they don't start spending some money, I don't think that year will ever come.

oeo
03-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm going with the Twins... most everyone is writing this team off because they lost Santana and Hunter. I think they've upgraded offensively adding Delmon Young (superior hitter to Hunter in my mind) and Carlos Gomez to play CF, kid had 64 SB in minors a few years ago. They still have Mauer, Morneau and Cuddyer... Liriano possibly back to cover for Santana... watch out for those fiesty guys from up north!

People are concerned about our rotation (and rightfully so), but not the Twins'? Liriano (who is a question mark himself), then a bunch of question marks/garbage. At least we have two solid veteran starters at the top.

btrain929
03-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Their SP should be atrocious. No Johan, no Garza (he's a #2 or really good #3 type pitcher), and Liriano is no guarantee for 170+ IP. They have a solid offense, but I don't think solid enough to overcome the runs their SP will give up.

WhiteSoxJunkie
03-26-2008, 06:54 PM
The easy answer is the Rays or Reds. But for some reason, I have a feeling the Braves will take the NL East this year.

chisox77
03-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Of course, the White Sox.

My other surprise will be the Rays - they have talent and can win 85 games. They need one more strong starter, but they are headed in the right direction.

:cool:

soxfan21
03-27-2008, 04:51 AM
White Sox.

PKalltheway
03-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I'll take the Cincinnati Reds. They're in a weak division, and the Cubs and Brewers aren't exactly the Red Sox and Yankees.

Britt Burns
03-27-2008, 01:25 PM
I think Milwaukee will be the surprise team of the year for the 4th year running.