PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Forecast - from a dead Cub

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-26-2008, 07:30 AM
I swear to God, I'm not sure what is worse anymore - the bull**** stories from the Red Sox that we overhear about....or this **** that's literally in our face every day.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/hoekstra/861175,CST-FTR-cubs26.article

MarySwiss
03-26-2008, 08:14 AM
I swear to God, I'm not sure what is worse anymore - the bull**** stories from the Red Sox that we overhear about....or this **** that's literally in our face every day.

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/hoekstra/861175,CST-FTR-cubs26.article

Listen to this! I swear it's all true!

About a half-hour ago, I sat down at the kitchen table to enjoy my morning coffee and read the paper, same as every other day. The "Food" section caught my eye. Front page story called "Out of the Park," about a new restaurant opening in Scottsdale. It's near the park where the Giants train and is owned by a Yankees fan. So what caught my eye? The Cubs logo in the photo! (What, they couldn't find a D'Backs logo?)

So I turn to the sports section. On the page about the Cactus League, there's a big story about Kerry Wood, including a photo, and a Q&A with Matt Murton sidebar.

Next, the "Chandler" section. Nice little article about a group called the "Chicago Cubs Club" that meets every year in Mesa. (So why is it in the Chandler section? Who the hell knows!)

This is all in The Arizona Republic. Sheesh!

And in about another half-hour, I'll leave for work, driving past a house flying a Cubs flag.

There's just no escaping it. Although there's no question that you guys who live there have it worse.

SOXPHILE
03-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Dear God, I want those 3 minutes back that I just spent reading that. Why in the hell is this crap even a story in a major city newspaper ? Oh, wait, it has something to do with the Cubs, and their 100 year history of sucking ? Print it !

<Any major media outlet to their employees> : "Don't forget, any story or angle that has anything to do with the Cubs, no matter how weird, stupid, odd, obscure or just downright dumb, RUN WITH IT ! Guy thinks he can talk to long dead Cubs ? Get on it ! Old lady in Park Ridge takes out her dentures and rubs them for good luck whenever Aramis Ramirez comes to bat; a sweatstain on (his holiness) Kerry Wood's warm up jersey looks like the Virgin Mary; a billy goat in Woodstock wears a custom made Cubs hat, likes to eat peanuts from Wrigley Field, and craps out shapes that look remarkably like Ron Santo and Jim Belushi ? GET THE STORY ! It's 2008 ! This is the year ! They're going to break 'the curse', Believe, Go Cubs Go, It's Their Turn, etc."

MarySwiss
03-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Dear God, I want those 3 minutes back that I just spent reading that. Why in the hell is this crap even a story in a major city newspaper ? Oh, wait, it has something to do with the Cubs, and their 100 year history of sucking ? Print it !

<Any major media outlet to their employees> : "Don't forget, any story or angle that has anything to do with the Cubs, no matter how weird, stupid, odd, obscure or just downright dumb, RUN WITH IT ! Guy thinks he can talk to long dead Cubs ? Get on it ! Old lady in Park Ridge takes out her dentures and rubs them for good luck whenever Aramis Ramirez comes to bat; a sweatstain on (his holiness) Kerry Wood's warm up jersey looks like the Virgin Mary; a billy goat in Woodstock wears a custom made Cubs hat, likes to eat peanuts from Wrigley Field, and craps out shapes that look remarkably like Ron Santo and Jim Belushi ? GET THE STORY ! It's 2008 ! This is the year ! They're going to break 'the curse', Believe, Go Cubs Go, It's Their Turn, etc."

Epic rant!!! :rolling:

C-Dawg
03-26-2008, 09:40 AM

These articles are hilarious to dig up after the season ends and the Cubs have nothing to show for it, as usual. The Sports Illustrated "Hell Freezes Over" issue comes immediately to mind as an example.

In 2003, the Ch. 7 news interviewed an 11-year-old kid, right about the time the post-season began. This kid was a Cubs fan and he claimed to have analyzed all the stats and predicted the Cubs winning the World Series. It was of course just a warm-n-fuzzy type of story but after Florida won it all I wanted to see a follow-up story about this kid and his predictions. I really wanted to see it!

chisoxmike
03-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Who could forget Carol Slezak's gem at the start of spring training in 2004 when she wrote a game by game recap for seven games of the 2004 World Series between the Cubs and Yankees, with the Yankees winning.

She claimed the season shouldn't even be played as the Cubs and Yankees will meet in the fall classic. :rolling:

itsnotrequired
03-26-2008, 09:48 AM
The Cubs belong in jail.

Chilli Palmer
03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
The Cubs belong in jail.

On some nights I am sure you do as well.

MCHSoxFan
03-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I ignore this crap. I saw the headline today as I was walking this morning (DOWN 35TH & NORMAL STREET, TOO!). I was so confused and upset. :angry:

bryPt
03-26-2008, 01:14 PM
It is seriously sad that the two major papers in this town are so horribly bad, you feel the need to off yourself after reading them. Chicago is a great town and deserves much better.

Their websites are even worse.

And the TV and radio media follow like the lemmings they are.

And some wonder why Chicago is the laughing stock of towns when it comes to print media.

I refuse to read the papers in Chicago anymore. The Daily Herald is fine with me.

Heffalump
03-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Who cares? Don't waste your time reading it. All that matters is that the team perpetually blows. If anything, all the hub-bub about the fLubs is funny to me.

kittle42
03-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Things like this make me proud to be in the minority.

Carolina Kenny
03-26-2008, 02:18 PM
It is seriously sad that the two major papers in this town are so horribly bad, you feel the need to off yourself after reading them. Chicago is a great town and deserves much better.

Their websites are even worse.

And the TV and radio media follow like the lemmings they are.

And some wonder why Chicago is the laughing stock of towns when it comes to print media.

I refuse to read the papers in Chicago anymore. The Daily Herald is fine with me.

You won't have to worry about the "bright one" too much longer.

doublem23
03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
You won't have to worry about the "bright one" too much longer.

Not soon enough!

When you're getting killed by the Red Eye, you know you suck.

kittle42
03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
When you're reading the Red Eye, you know you suck.

Improved it.

itsnotrequired
03-26-2008, 03:25 PM
On some nights I am sure you do as well.

Only after I commit crimes.:D:

Foulke You
03-26-2008, 06:03 PM

Excellent rant! Great stuff there. I enjoyed it very much.:cool: The sad part is that it isn't far from the truth.

RadioheadRocks
03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
And that's not all that's ridiculous with today's Sun-Times. Anyone else here check out that puff piece by Rick Telander regarding the "Let's Welcome Next Year Day" party at the Cubby Bear??? Among other things, this gathering also promises a "Pin The Mullet On The White Sox Fan" contest (???!!!???!!!???)

Let's just say any of you folks needing to wrap fish or line the bottom of your birdcages have plenty of choices today!

SoxandtheCityTee
03-27-2008, 10:28 PM
In related news, the SunTimes Media Group has been threatened with delisting by the NYSE because its stock has been trading below $1.00 a share.

As the downward spiral continues the PennyStock-Times will be hard to tell apart from the Cubune in how far up the Cubbybutt the paper will stick its nose. It's all just so much shuffling of the deck chairs; the ship is going down. I wouldn't bother reading the junk they will come up with. The last thing you'll hear is the tinny strains of "Nearer My Cubs to Thee" as the waters close over what was once a major Chicago newspaper.

SOXPHILE
03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
In related news, the SunTimes Media Group has been threatened with delisting by the NYSE because its stock has been trading below $1.00 a share.

As the downward spiral continues the PennyStock-Times will be hard to tell apart from the Cubune in how far up the Cubbybutt the paper will stick its nose. It's all just so much shuffling of the deck chairs; the ship is going down. I wouldn't bother reading the junk they will come up with. The last thing you'll hear is the tinny strains of "Nearer My Cubs to Thee" as the waters close over what was once a major Chicago newspaper.

Ha ! I can picture The Moron, Rick Telander, and Greg Couch in the roles of Jack, Rose, and Cal, as the S.S. Sun Times goes down.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Ha ! I can picture The Moron, Rick Telander, and Greg Couch in the roles of Jack, Rose, and Cal, as the S.S. Sun Times goes down.

Except I see Telander leaving the Moron handcuffed to the pipe..."Sorry, couldn't find an axe."

gobears1987
03-28-2008, 12:53 PM
The Sun Times is a dead paper. What do you expect from them? Real journalism? Even Red Eye is kicking their ass.

cheezheadsoxfan
03-28-2008, 01:22 PM

:rolling: