PDA

View Full Version : Sports illustrated 2008 Baseball preview: Tigers over the Cubs

It's Time
03-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Welcome to 2004! :tongue:

Wonder who will be on the cover this year.:scratch:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2008/previews/index.html?eref=T1

gogosox16
03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
As long as the Cubs don't win it, I am happy....but I would be even more happier if the Sox were to win it again:D:

btrain929
03-25-2008, 08:03 PM
As long as the Cubs don't win it, I am happy....but I would be even more happier if the Sox were to win it again:D:

I would hope so...

gogosox16
03-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I would hope so...
You never know, I could have a feeling that the Orioles are gonna win it this year, and be just as happy.:redneck

WhiteSox5187
03-25-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't know how they couldn't think the Mets will win the NL pennant. But fine.

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Picking the Cubs is always the trendy, sexy pick, because it sells magazines and that sells more advertising. Every single year a bunch of columnists always pick the Cubs to win it all, just because it's trendy and sexy to do so and because it sells papers/magazines.

fquaye149
03-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Sports Illustrated picks "The All-Overhyped World Series" in 2008

Wonderful.

Neither team will likely make it even as far as their league's respective championship series

whitem0nkey
03-25-2008, 09:55 PM
hey at least they picked Royals 4th and Twins 5th, thats bold. :dunno:

Elephant
03-25-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't think the Tigers can pitch, and Cleveland made no improvements. We may have no 90 win teams in this division.

thegooch
03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Cleveland made no improvements.

I don't think this point can be stressed enough. Not only have that not improved but they might be worse off. I don't expect Carmona to be lights out again, he has to come back to Earth. The Sabathia contract situation has the potential to cause major unrest, and Joe Borowski is still their closer.

Their lineup is still formidable though.

chisoxfanatic
03-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Neither team will likely make it even as far as their league's respective championship series

That's right! I see a Sox/Fighting Phills series in our future.

FedEx227
03-25-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't think the Tigers can pitch, and Cleveland made no improvements. We may have no 90 win teams in this division.

The Tigers will be a lot like the 2006 White Sox. Mash teams into wins. They'll have starters give up 6 ER, but they'll score 8. People seriously don't understand how much they upgraded that offense.

fquaye149
03-26-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't think this point can be stressed enough. Not only have that not improved but they might be worse off. I don't expect Carmona to be lights out again, he has to come back to Earth. The Sabathia contract situation has the potential to cause major unrest, and Joe Borowski is still their closer.

Their lineup is still formidable though.
No ****ing way Hafner hits as bad this year as he did last year

fquaye149
03-26-2008, 12:32 AM
The Tigers will be a lot like the 2006 White Sox. Mash teams into wins. They'll have starters give up 6 ER, but they'll score 8. People seriously don't understand how much they upgraded that offense.

How'd that 2006 White Sox team end up?

Elephant
03-26-2008, 12:36 AM

The 06 Sox were a similar offensive team with a much better rotation and they squeaked to 90 wins.

They need some turnarounds from their starting 5. Willis and Bonderman are keys. 5 ERA's aren't gonna get this team past Boston and they might not even get them the division.

Whitesox029
03-26-2008, 01:12 AM
...Or how blatantly overrated their pitching staff is. With Zumaya and Rodney out to start the season, the only other one of their relievers I can even name is Todd Jones, and he's about 37.

Mr. White Sox
03-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Maybe Dusty will chip his tooth on a toothpick, requiring a leave of absence from the team, a callup of Jay Bruce and a normal usage rate of Bruce, Votto, Cueto and Bailey, and the Reds make a late surge and beat the Cubs in a 1-game playoff to win the NL Central.

Hey, it could happen.

gf2020
03-26-2008, 02:02 AM
Their AL picks are okay although unlikely to be perfect. But I completely disagree with the way they see the NL playoffs going down. The Cubs weren't better than the Diamondbacks last year and I fail to see how they could take them down with the addition of Haren. I also don't see the Rockies getting as hot as they were last year and think it even less likely that they beat the Mets in a five game series with Johan on the mound twice.

BadBobbyJenks
03-26-2008, 03:00 AM
Is the AL central the best division?

The AL east is pretty darn impressive if Toronto's starting pitching is healthy. And Ill take the Rays over Minn/KC. Baltimore absolutely brutal though.

Mohoney
03-26-2008, 06:32 AM
No ****ing way Hafner hits as bad this year as he did last year

My sentiments exactly. The Indians won 96 games with only a modest contribution from Hafner. I say he rebounds into the monster lefty power hitter that he was before last season.

As for Carmona, I'm scared ****less of that guy. I think he's going to be rock solid for them for a long time if he doesn't get hurt.

Corlose 15
03-26-2008, 07:22 AM
My sentiments exactly. The Indians won 96 games with only a modest contribution from Hafner. I say he rebounds into the monster lefty power hitter that he was before last season.

As for Carmona, I'm scared ****less of that guy. I think he's going to be rock solid for them for a long time if he doesn't get hurt.

Tom Verducci wrote an interesting article a while back on young pitchers who are possible injury risks this season. The premise is essentially that historically when a pitcher under 25 has increased his workload by more than 30IP over the previous year, the odds of him getting hurt have increased. Carmona pitched 56.1 IP more than the year before.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/tom_verducci/02/05/verducci.YAE/1.html

Corlose 15
03-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Does it annoy anyone else that the Sox are consistently referred to as an aging team? Other than the fact that the average age of the Sox is something like 27, and the idea that every team is aging, why does nobody bring up the Tigers age?

Todd Jones turns 40 in April
Kenny Rogers is 43
Rodriguez is 36
Guillen is 32
Renteria is 32
Polanco is 32
Jacque Jones turns 33 in April
Magglio is 34
Sheffield is 39

A lot of those guys have a history with injuries. There is no guarantee the lineup even stays healthy this year and the bullpen has already been hit with the injury bug.

rocky biddle
03-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Does it annoy anyone else that the Sox are consistently referred to as an aging team? Other than the fact that the average age of the Sox is something like 27, and the idea that every team is aging, why does nobody bring up the Tigers age?

Todd Jones turns 40 in April
Kenny Rogers is 43
Rodriguez is 36
Guillen is 32
Renteria is 32
Polanco is 32
Jacque Jones turns 33 in April
Magglio is 34
Sheffield is 39

A lot of those guys have a history with injuries. There is no guarantee the lineup even stays healthy this year and the bullpen has already been hit with the injury bug.

A few of the guys on that list have been purported to have a "secret weapon" in the battle against aging. I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

Hitmen77
03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
Their AL picks are okay although unlikely to be perfect. But I completely disagree with the way they see the NL playoffs going down. The Cubs weren't better than the Diamondbacks last year and I fail to see how they could take them down with the addition of Haren. I also don't see the Rockies getting as hot as they were last year and think it even less likely that they beat the Mets in a five game series with Johan on the mound twice.

I think the Diamondback and the Mets are better than the Cubs. They would be logical picks for the NL pennant. But, then again SI probably doesn't have wet dreams about the D-backs or Mets making the World Series.

skottyj242
03-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Padres vs. Mets in the NLCS. Peavy vs. Santana would be one of the best games ever.

russ99
03-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Picking the Cubs is always the trendy, sexy pick, because it sells magazines and that sells more advertising. Every single year a bunch of columnists always pick the Cubs to win it all, just because it's trendy and sexy to do so and because it sells papers/magazines.

Picking the Cubs is the idiot pick. They only have 3 good solid hitters and one is wasted in the leadoff spot, rookies up the middle, an unproven Japanese guy in RF with vastly inflated expectations, only 2 good starters, Wood as closer. If you still have doubts just repeat after me:

Ryan Dempster #3 starter... Ryan Dempster #3 starter... Ryan Dempster #3 starter...

If this roster were on any other team than the media's darling Cubs, they'd be picked for 3rd or 4th place, even in the NL Central.

Dread Farmer
03-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Picking the Cubs is the idiot pick. They only have 3 good solid hitters and one is wasted in the leadoff spot, rookies up the middle, an unproven Japanese guy in RF with vastly inflated expectations, only 2 good starters, Wood as closer. If you still have doubts just repeat after me:

Ryan Dempster #3 starter... Ryan Dempster #3 starter... Ryan Dempster #3 starter...

If this roster were on any other team than the media's darling Cubs, they'd be picked for 3rd or 4th place, even in the NL Central.

I appreciate the Cubs hate, but 4th place Please. I'll say the Brewers could give them a battle and the Reds could be the Brewers of last year but 4th place Wow.

Lip Man 1
03-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Sports Illustrated is just trying to make good on their 1984 "prediction.." LOL

Lip

It's Time
03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry, but that rotation after Zambrano does nothing for me.

Hill? Either dominant or bad.

Lilly? I don't look at him as a guy I'd "fear" facing.

Dempster? LOL

Marquis? LOL

Sorry, that rotation is average at best and certainly nothing to fear.

BadBobbyJenks
03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Padres vs. Mets in the NLCS. Peavy vs. Santana would be one of the best games ever.

Except for the part where Peavy chokes.

palehozenychicty
03-26-2008, 03:02 PM
I think the Diamondback and the Mets and the Phillies and the Rockies and the Dodgers and the Padres and the Braves are better than the Cubs. They would be logical picks for the NL pennant. But, then again SI probably doesn't have wet dreams about the D-backs or Mets making the World Series.

A slight adjustment. The Cubs are fortunate to be in a weak division.

kittle42
03-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Lilly? I don't look at hime as a guy I'd "fear" facing.

Dempster? LOL

Marquis? LOL

I'd take it over the Pale Hose 5.

cws05champ
03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
The only thing I found interesting was their PECOTA prediction of Alexi Ramirez: .298 with 15 home runs and an .803 OPS. I'd take that in a heartbeat!!!

Madscout
03-26-2008, 04:54 PM

Not in a million years. At least our question marks have either a career in front of them (Danks), or a run of success(Jose) , except for Floyd of course.

UofCSoxFan
03-26-2008, 05:26 PM
They must really think the AL East is going to own the AL Central. 87 wins for the Blue Jays. 80 for the Rays or whatever they want to call themselves these days? No way both those things happen. Reds don't approach 87 wins either and 85 wins seems pretty ambitious for the Braves, even in a weak division.

kittle42
03-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Not in a million years. At least our question marks have either a career in front of them (Danks), or a run of success(Jose) , except for Floyd of course.

Get over the Cubbie hate.

sullythered
03-26-2008, 11:48 PM
I think the Indians and the (blech) Red Sox are better and more well rounded than the Tigers. I kinda like the Mariners as a dark horse.

In the NL (not that it will matter) I think the Mets, Padres, Rockies, and maybe the Brewers and Phillies are better than the Cubs.

whitesoxrule
03-27-2008, 09:41 AM
If you still have doubts just repeat after me:

I would but then I would sound pretty stupid. Rich Hill is their #3 starter, they just don't want lefties going back to back.
:wink:

fquaye149
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM

I wouldn't.

Mohoney
03-28-2008, 03:11 AM
I kinda like the Mariners as a dark horse.

So do I. I think they will whale on really bad Texas and Oakland teams all year long and win the Wild Card. Then they can run Bedard and Hernandez out there for 4 games in a 5 game series.

As long as that lineup moves runners over, steals bases, and gets sac flies to offset their lack of extra base power, they can be a real threat in the AL.

russ99
03-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Lilly? I don't look at him as a guy I'd "fear" facing.

Dempster? LOL

Marquis? LOL

Agree. OK, I went a bit overboard with the 4th place, but their lineup isn't one to evoke the 27 Yankees either.

While Lee, Soriano and Ramirez are solid, the rest of the lineup is anything but. Theriot is moving to lead off after one decent season in the majors, Soto's been anointed starting catcher after 1 month of MLB play, DeRosa's had all manner of health issues this spring and Pie's status is shaky while his replacement Reed Johnson isn't an everyday player. I won't even get into the bullpen. Piniella even thinks the roster is flawed.

I really think the Cubs have more question marks than the Sox where we stand today.

whitesoxrule
03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Agree. OK, I went a bit overboard with the 4th place, but their lineup isn't one to evoke the 27 Yankees either.

While Lee, Soriano and Ramirez are solid, the rest of the lineup is anything but. Theriot is moving to lead off after one decent season in the majors, Soto's been anointed starting catcher after 1 month of MLB play, DeRosa's had all manner of health issues this spring and Pie's status is shaky while his replacement Reed Johnson isn't an everyday player. I won't even get into the bullpen. Piniella even thinks the roster is flawed.

I really think the Cubs have more question marks than the Sox where we stand today.

Yea.....Danks and Floyd have great resumes.:rolleyes: