PDA

View Full Version : Owens on DL?

Lorenzo Barcelo
03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080325&content_id=2457534&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

JermaineDye05
03-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Seems like the Pods injury all over again.

goon
Anderson in CF, Swisher leads off.

SoxNation05
ESPN had him on the News Wire saying he will be getting an MRI and will make the team as long as results don't come out positive.

btrain929
03-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Has this **** ever heard of stretching before games?

soltrain21
03-25-2008, 04:14 PM
The slogan "speed never slumps" appears to be wrong when it comes to both Podsednik and Owens.

JermaineDye05
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Has this **** ever heard of stretching before games?

I don't think this has to do with "not stretching". I saw Pods busting his ass before each game, didn't seem to help his groin problem.

thomas35forever
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
If this happens, say hello to your 2008 Opening Day leadoff man, Pablo Ozuna.

JermaineDye05
03-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Ozzie already said Pablo was going to lead off on Opening Day, even if Owens was healthy. Considering Pablo is right handed and has success against CC, it only makes sense. He had planned for Owens to bat 9th to sort of have a double lead off situation. I think now this puts BA at 9th on opening day.

sox1970

That was going to happen, regardless.

It's Dankerific
ESPN had him on the News Wire saying he will be getting an MRI and will make the team as long as results don't come out positive.

So he's hurt enough for a MRI, but not enough to keep him from STARTING against CC. That makes a ton of ****ing sense. I don't hope he's any more injured than he is, but I sure hope someone suggest he get healed up before playing some more. Real reason he wants to play? Because hes afraid what BA might do with 15 days....

KRS1
03-25-2008, 04:20 PM

That was going to happen regardless.

As for not stretching. Groin injuries just happen, and can linger for a good while. One wrong step while trying to get back into action and you're hurting. After hearing so much about being cautious with him after it first occurred, I had to laugh a bit when I saw him back a week later playing in a bunch of consecutive games.

WhiteSox5187
03-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Ugh, this isn't good. Yet again, we don't have a leadoff hitter. I love Owens speed, but he appears to be made of glass.

jabrch
03-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Ozzie keeps on screwing JO and giving BA chance after chance....

1) It's spring freaking training and it means very little until they count for real.

2) Our manager and GM are known to lead campaigns of misinformation, so nothing they say publicly should be taken as gospel.

3) See #1

Cuck the Fubs
03-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Mr. Anderson, your table is ready:cool:

WhiteSox5187
03-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Ozzie keeps on screwing JO and giving BA chance after chance....

1) It's spring freaking training and it means very little until they count for real.

2) Our manager and GM are known to lead campaigns of misinformation, so nothing they say publicly should be taken as gospel.

3) See #1
We have about a week left in ST and our potential leadoff hitter keeps having problems with his groin and going on the DL. I think this means a lot, this isn't something we can just shrug off.

Frontman
03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
And the hits just keep on coming.

Let's see:

Uribe at 2nd

Fields in AAA

Owens on the DL.

Great news to start the season.

oeo
03-25-2008, 05:05 PM
And the hits just keep on coming.

Let's see:

Uribe at 2nd

Fields in AAA

Owens on the DL.

Great news to start the season.

Don't forget about Richar on the DL and Anderson in CF.

Frontman
03-25-2008, 05:08 PM

I want Anderson on the main roster. I'd rather see a lead-off hitter out of the second base position. (IE trade or FA signing)

But what we got is what we got. I just hope the Sox win a few games prior to coming home on the 7th........

Optipessimism
03-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Any injury to Owens just puts Anderson behind Alexei Ramirez, who is behind Juan Uribe and maybe Pablo Ozuna too.

Lip Man 1
03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
This latest Owens situation is VERY, very distressing. This is shaping up like another Scott Podsednik....great when he's healthy but as Shakespeare once wrote, "therein lies the rub..."

Without him I don't know if the Sox actually have a leadoff hitter. We'll see what the MRI says, Kenny thinks it's scar tissue breaking up.

Lip

Lorenzo Barcelo
03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Kenny thinks it's scar tissue breaking up.

Lip

Can you get scar tissue without having surgery? :dunno:

KyWhiSoxFan
03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
I want Anderson on the main roster. I'd rather see a lead-off hitter out of the second base position. (IE trade or FA signing)

If Owens is not available, I would like to see Ramirez in the leadoff spot. I'm not a big fan of the idea of Swisher at leadoff. I don't like guys with no speed but good on-base percentage leading off, especially if Swisher is projected to hit 25-plus homers and drive in a lot of runs. He needs to be a guy in the middle of the lineup who protects the big hitters in front of him and gets on for the big hitters behind him.

If all you need is a good on base percentage to bat first, then you could argue that Thome would make the best leadoff hitter on the team.

Sockinchisox
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Dunno if you guys knew it was going to happen or not but Gonzales says Owens is definitely going to start the season on the DL.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/owens-on-dl.html

Optipessimism
03-25-2008, 06:10 PM
If Owens is not available, I would like to see Ramirez in the leadoff spot. I'm not a big fan of the idea of Swisher at leadoff. I don't like guys with no speed but good on-base percentage leading off, especially if Swisher is projected to hit 25-plus homers and drive in a lot of runs. He needs to be a guy in the middle of the lineup who protects the big hitters in front of him and gets on for the big hitters behind him.

If all you need is a good on base percentage to bat first, then you could argue that Thome would make the best leadoff hitter on the team.

OBP is going to be a problem throughout the lineup yet again. The only guys in our projected everyday lineup with career OBP's of .330 or above are JD, Thome, Konerko, and Swisher.

Cabrera: .321
Uribe: .295
Pierzynski: .328
Crede: .305
Owens: .324

Lip Man 1
03-25-2008, 06:12 PM
The adductor issue is exactly what hampered Podsednik for the past two seasons.

Obviously not a great way to start the season Mr. Owens.

Lip

PicktoCLick72
03-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Well, if BA keeps hitting into the season as he did in ST, then we won't have to worry about Owens as he will be pushed back to 4/5th OF and pinch runner, where he should have been all along.

JB98
03-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Ugh, this isn't good. Yet again, we don't have a leadoff hitter. I love Owens speed, but he appears to be made of glass.

I think we're all overreacting here. Made of glass? Has he had other injuries that I don't know about? Give the kid a break.

And even if Owens was healthy, we're not 100 percent sure he can do the job. It was roll of the dice regardless.

btrain929
03-25-2008, 06:53 PM
OBP is going to be a problem throughout the lineup yet again. The only guys in our projected everyday lineup with career OBP's of .330 or above are JD, Thome, Konerko, and Swisher.

Cabrera: .321
Uribe: .295
Pierzynski: .328
Crede: .305
Owens: .324

And you bring this stat up after Jerry Owens gets injured........why?

btrain929
03-25-2008, 06:55 PM
I don't think this has to do with "not stretching". I saw Pods busting his ass before each game, didn't seem to help his groin problem.

Maybe busting his ass before each game is exactly what caused his groin problem. I'm not talking about doing 30 yrd sprints before the game. I'm talking about having a trainer stretch you every whichaway before the game. I saw a training work on Swisher in spring training before a game. It was about a 30 minute process and some of the positions he was in I don't think I'd be able to get up from.

Brian26
03-25-2008, 07:02 PM
I think we're all overreacting here. Made of glass? Has he had other injuries that I don't know about? Give the kid a break.

I thought that was a ridiculous comment as well. Podsednik seemed made of glass the last two and a half years, but not Owens.

Brian26
03-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Maybe busting his ass before each game is exactly what caused his groin problem. I'm not talking about doing 30 yrd sprints before the game. I'm talking about having a trainer stretch you every whichaway before the game. I saw a training work on Swisher in spring training before a game. It was about a 30 minute process and some of the positions he was in I don't think I'd be able to get up from.

That licensed trainer employed by a major league team must have no idea what he's doing.

oeo
03-25-2008, 07:06 PM

And even if Owens was healthy, we're not 100 percent sure he can do the job. It was roll of the dice regardless.

Owens has always had something nagging him since he was called up in September of 2006. I have a bad feeling he's always going to have some kind of problem.

gogosox16
03-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Owens has always had something nagging him since he was called up in September of 2006. I have a bad feeling he's always going to have some kind of problem.
Another Podsednik in the making....not good

JB98
03-25-2008, 07:15 PM

Most baseball players have stuff nagging them at different points during the season. It only becomes a problem when you have to sit out all the time.

Podsednik could be described as having serious injury issues. Owens does not have a long history of trips to the DL. For someone to say he is "made of glass," that is pure hyperbole at this point.

TheOldRoman
03-25-2008, 07:40 PM
This latest Owens situation is VERY, very distressing. This is shaping up like another Scott Podsednik....great when he's healthy but as Shakespeare once wrote, "therein lies the rub..."

Without him I don't know if the Sox actually have a leadoff hitter. We'll see what the MRI says, Kenny thinks it's scar tissue breaking up.

LipI agree with what you are saying, but it is a pretty big stretch to say Owens is great when he is healthy. We don't really know what type of player he could be yet. That being said, its not the worst thing in the world giving Anderson time and letting Swisher lead off.

Lip Man 1
03-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Sorry hit the wrong button!

Lip

Lip Man 1
03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
According to Mark Gonzales Hardball, the tear occurred in the first intersquad game and never healed properly because Owens kept coming back to soon.

Two weeks off might fix it and then it might not.

Roman, I see your point, "great" was a poor choice of words on my part...let's say I was very impressed with his 36 steals last year.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Posednik stayed healthy for the Rockies and stole 30 bases or so while Owens turned into Podsednik with the Sox?

And Roman, given that the team (or Ozzie in particular) said he was tired of standing around waiting for the three run home run, it is a setback when you lose one of the only guys (maybe the only one..) who can in fact steal 35-50 bases. I don't think BA even if he plays everyday would do that.

Lip

TheOldRoman
03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Well, I was really busy with work at the end of last season, so needless to say, when I had time, I didn't go out of my way to watch the Sox. I didn't see much of Owens, so I can't judge him other than by stats.

I think Owens has potential and can be a good leadoff hitter. I am also high on Anderson, and think he would be the best option in CF (with Swisher or Ramirez leading off). However, I agree with OEO. If Owens starts, hits well, and get on at over a .350 clip, I have no problem with him playing. For our sake, I hope Anderson runs away and hides with the CF job while Owens is on the DL. For Owens' sake, I hope this doesn't turn into the nagging Pods-type injury.

santo=dorf
03-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Just remember young Sox fans, speed doesn't slump, it just ends up on the DL with groin injuries.

Dabchsx28
03-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Brian Roberts any1 ?

Mohoney
03-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic if Posednik stayed healthy for the Rockies and stole 30 bases or so while Owens turned into Podsednik with the Sox?

It wouldn't be ironic, it would just be bad luck.

Kenny Williams already took 2 gambles on an unhealthy Podsednik for 2006 and 2007, and wasn't going to do it a 3rd time. I can understand that.

I wanted Kenny to go ahead and gamble on Pods again for this season. I figured, if Juan Uribe can get $4.5 million while being every bit as useless as Pods last year (and IMO, even MORE useless because he was healthy and bad as opposed to hurt and bad, which means he had an everyday opportunity to suck), what could it have hurt to bring Pods back? It's not like we brought in an established leadoff hitter or an established CF during the offseason, so why not try going with Pods again and have Owens as Plan B?

That being said, I reiterate that I fully understand the decision not to bring Pods back. It's just the other moves afterward that I question, namely the Swisher deal. Swisher fills a dire need by getting on base, but he isn't a leadoff hitter or a CF. Much like Mackowiak playing out of position in CF in 2006 and Erstad being counted on to be the starting CF in 2007, I fear that, once again, we will be trying to force a player (in this case, Swisher leading off) into a role that he's not supposed to be used to fill.

soxfan21
03-26-2008, 07:39 AM
I just hope that he takes the time needed to get over this injury. If it means taking a month off to become 100% again so be it. I just don't want this situation turning into another Pods situation, where he is good for a week or 2 then back on the DL.

russ99
03-26-2008, 08:53 AM

You guys. One injury and he's made of glass.

If that's the case Thome's made of glass because of his back, Dye's glass because of his knee and Crede's some material 50x more fragile than glass.

It's obvious he came back before healed. Owens even said he was going to go all out and test it. Given a standard recovery, he'll be fine.

Those who are making comparisons, Pods injuries were a direct result of having 2 groin operations in the offseason before, and then by favoring those muscles, strained/tore other ones. Owens had no surgery, he's not the same.

soxfan13
03-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Can you get scar tissue without having surgery? :dunno:

Yes you can and Ill bet you have plenty of scar tissue that you do not know about.

btrain929
03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
That licensed trainer employed by a major league team must have no idea what he's doing.

That's not what I was saying. I know it was in teal, but Swisher is smart enough to get stretched out real good before a game. I wouldn't be surprised if Owens just did his own thing for stretching, which could contribute to his repeated groin issues: not having proper stretching done on him.

JorgeFabregas
03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm not a big Jerry Owens fan, but this speculation that this injury is his fault lacks any evidence at all.

Dornado
03-26-2008, 10:40 AM
This injury nonsense with Pods and now Owens really makes you appreciate a guy like Rickey Henderson or Kenny Lofton.... it would just be nice to find a leadoff hitter and plug him in for a decade.

Luke
03-26-2008, 11:17 AM
That's not what I was saying. I know it was in teal, but Swisher is smart enough to get stretched out real good before a game. I wouldn't be surprised if Owens just did his own thing for stretching, which could contribute to his repeated groin issues: not having proper stretching done on him.

Stretching helps your flexibility but it doesn't keep you from getting injured. There was an interesting article on CBS news about this today.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/26/earlyshow/health/main3968398.shtml

I don't know why we would all assume that this injury is somehow due to negligence on the part of Jerry Owens...as if he has some secret pre-game routine that is guaranteed to prevent injury, and he just chose to skip it. Injuries happen. Nomar has one of the most disciplined, intense, pre-game routines there is, and he still an injury waiting to happen.

jabrch
03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Swisher is smart enough to get stretched out real good before a game. I wouldn't be surprised if Owens just did his own thing for stretching, which could contribute to his repeated groin issues: not having proper stretching done on him.

Swisher = smart and stretched out - thus healthy

Owens = dumb and doing his own thing - thus hurt

I assume you have some sort of proof of this - right?

kittle42
03-26-2008, 02:23 PM

The voice coming out of his ass.

It's Dankerific
03-26-2008, 02:51 PM

I thought BA took a switch blade to it while Owens was sleeping...