PDA

View Full Version : Brewers Cut Claudio Vargas

Mr. White Sox
03-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Per Rotoworld. I don't know the new rules so I won't even bother quoting.

Yeah, he's mediocre...but again, I think he'd be a more stable option than Floyd or even Danks, and at the least he'd be a better spot starter than Broadway at this point in time.

Rocky Soprano
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Vargas at times has shown some pretty good skills. I actually would love if the Sox picked him up.

kittle42
03-25-2008, 05:37 PM
He's terrible. There's a reason the Brewers cut him despite losing two starters and his having a 3.86 spring ERA - he's ****ing brutal.

The other reason is Manny Parra, who is probably better than either of the young guys in the Sox rotation.

FedEx227
03-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Very happy to see Parra get a chance out there with the Capuano injury and now with Vargas cut.

Domeshot17
03-25-2008, 06:29 PM
If he isnt good enough to pitch for the incredibly pitching deprived Brewers in the worst division in baseball, he is for sure not good enough to pitch for a team trying to win in the hardest division in baseball.

doublem23
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Per Rotoworld. I don't know the new rules so I won't even bother quoting.

Yeah, he's mediocre...but again, I think he'd be a more stable option than Floyd or even Danks, and at the least he'd be a better spot starter than Broadway at this point in time.

They are very simple. You may post a link to the article or website you are refering to, but you may not copy and paste any of their material onto our boards.

champagne030
03-25-2008, 08:48 PM
He's terrible. There's a reason the Brewers cut him despite losing two starters and his having a 3.86 spring ERA - he's ****ing brutal.

He can't be worse than Gavin. :D:

The other reason is Manny Parra, who is probably better than either of the young guys in the Sox rotation. Danks has a couple of years to catch him, but I would certainly agree for this season.

JB98
03-25-2008, 09:20 PM

No question. The guy is ****ing awful.

Why are Sox fans so desperate to sign castoffs from mediocre-to-bad National League teams?

If we only had John Patterson and Claudio Vargas, we'd be on our way!

CHISOXFAN13
03-26-2008, 01:00 AM
It is really neccesary for someone to start a thread about the Sox picking up below average talent every time they are released by other teams?

Mr. White Sox
03-26-2008, 01:47 AM
No question. The guy is ****ing awful.

Why are Sox fans so desperate to sign castoffs from mediocre-to-bad National League teams?

If we only had John Patterson and Claudio Vargas, we'd be on our way!

It's not Sox fans; from the responses in my threads I can clearly see it's just me. Again, if they sign these guys to minor league deals - like the Red Sox did with Colon - it's a low risk maneuver that can maybe buffer our quite pedestrian back end of the rotation. Our 4 and 5 starters risk being below average for an AL Central playoff contender, unless our #5 puts together a season with an ERA under 5.30 and our #4 with an ERA under 4.95 or so. For comparison, Detroit's 4 and 5 put together ERA's under 5 last year, and Cleveland's #4 had an ERA under 4.9 and their #5 with an ERA under 5.70 with a much better offense + C.C. and Fausto. The White Sox had ERAs under 5 for the 4 and 5 spots (one of the only teams in the majors to do so), but that was with Jon Garland over Gavin Floyd.

This Hardball Times article (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/how-good-is-your-4-starter/) actually opened my eyes a bit on how much worse the #4's and #5's are in the league compared to other rotation slots, and those stats above are culled from the article (in generalities...I get the new quoting rules but I'm not sure if using data from those sites is OK), so it dampens my criticism of this club's back end of the rotation a fair amount.

I hope they do just as much as anyone else on this board, but I guess my expectations aren't as high. Plus, I'd like the ability to pick from Vargas or another veteran over possibly Broadway and Egbert if Danks or Floyd goes down, which just allows for another level of choice based slightly on how their AAA seasons progress.

dwalteroo
03-26-2008, 01:19 PM
The Brew Crew released Claudio Vargas today:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/03/25/brewers-release-vargas.aspx

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a WS uniform. I know his numbers don't necessarily translate from the NL Central, but he would be insurance.