PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think the A's are getting the shaft here?

Whitesox029
03-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Reasons:
1. Losing two home games against the Red Sox, which means...
a. considerably less revenue
b. very little fan support in those two games (the crowd for the first game was overwhelmingly in favor of the Red Sox, probably because they have two players whom the Japanese fans recognize and because there are a lot of Red Sox fans with deep pockets making the trip over)
2. The games are at 6 a.m. Eastern time, which is a perfectly reasonable time for people to get up and watch or listen while they get ready for work. On the other hand, they're at 3 a.m. Pacific time, which is far too early to wake up, and anyone who stays up til 3 isn't going to want to watch a 3 hour 50 minute game at that point.

I'm very surprised the A's agreed to this arrangement. If MLB is going to keep doing this, they need to send teams from the Eastern and Central time zones, and each team needs to lose a home game, as happened with the Cubs and Mets in 2000.

TDog
03-25-2008, 02:59 PM
Any adversity that faces the A's, much like any adversity that faces the Cubs, is welcome from my perspective.

Elephant
03-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Don't the A's get some kind of home team compensation? I seriously doubt they'd give up home games for free.

DSpivack
03-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Any adversity that faces the A's, much like any adversity that faces the Cubs, is welcome from my perspective.

That helps the Red Sox? Talk about a wash.

I don't see why each team got one "home game", but the Red Sox would not be denied one whole game's worth of revenue.

anewman35
03-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Reasons:
1. Losing two home games against the Red Sox, which means...
a. considerably less revenue
b. very little fan support in those two games (the crowd for the first game was overwhelmingly in favor of the Red Sox, probably because they have two players whom the Japanese fans recognize and because there are a lot of Red Sox fans with deep pockets making the trip over)
2. The games are at 6 a.m. Eastern time, which is a perfectly reasonable time for people to get up and watch or listen while they get ready for work. On the other hand, they're at 3 a.m. Pacific time, which is far too early to wake up, and anyone who stays up til 3 isn't going to want to watch a 3 hour 50 minute game at that point.

I'm very surprised the A's agreed to this arrangement. If MLB is going to keep doing this, they need to send teams from the Eastern and Central time zones, and each team needs to lose a home game, as happened with the Cubs and Mets in 2000.

The A's are being compensated by MLB for all revenue they'd lose, plus MLB is giving them 5 home games against the Red Sox (in addition to these 2) this year, which is a lot (we're only in Oakland 3 games this season, for example).

I doubt they're too worried about the fans at the game, because it's the Red Sox, they'd have a lot of Red Sox fans no matter where they play. And, it's baseball, it's not as if a team can't win with hostile fans.

Yes, it's too bad for Oakland fans, but I'm sure overall they're getting more interest in these games then they would otherwise. I read an article that said that Tampa Bay is one of the more popular teams in Japan because they played the Yankees there a few years ago, and it's helped them get a Japanese player and Japanese advertisements. So the A's probably figure that 2 games of inconveniencing their fans is worth it.

Whitesox029
03-25-2008, 03:31 PM
I doubt they're too worried about the fans at the game, because it's the Red Sox, they'd have a lot of Red Sox fans no matter where they play. And, it's baseball, it's not as if a team can't win with hostile fans.

Sure there'd be a lot of Red Sox fans in Oakland too, but I was more referring to the lack of A's fans.

DumpJerry
03-25-2008, 03:32 PM
The A's are being compensated by MLB for all revenue they'd lose, plus MLB is giving them 5 home games against the Red Sox (in addition to these 2) this year, which is a lot (we're only in Oakland 3 games this season, for example).
That is how they are getting the shaft. The only have 3 home games against us and five games with the Red Invasion. This is good for us.

anewman35
03-25-2008, 03:40 PM
That is how they are getting the shaft. The only have 3 home games against us and five games with the Red Invasion. This is good for us.

It's certianly good for us, but it's also good for the revenue of the A's.

Anyway, I don't get the impression they especially care about winning games this year, anyway. If they lose an extra game or two because of this, how is it going to matter?

infohawk
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Don't the A's get some kind of home team compensation? I seriously doubt they'd give up home games for free.
I agree. I'm sure MLB and the A's worked out a deal where the A's would get revenue as if these were home games.

AZChiSoxFan
03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
You left off one of the other ways in which the A's are getting shafted:

On Wed, April 2 the A's are at home vs. the Red Sox. Both teams have an off day on April 3 and the Red Sox play at Toronto on April 4 (night game). Per MLB rules and the CBA, the A's are allowed to set the game time for the April 2 game to whenever they want. Naturally, they wanted a 7:05 PM start, in anticipation of getting a sellout vs. the Red Sox. From what I understand, they printed their tickets with the 7:05 start time. Well, the Red Sox whined and complained that they would be tired due to their trip to Japan (poor babies) and got the league to force the A's to change the game time to 12:35.

For me, this is simply reason # 654,485 as to why I totally despise the Red Cubs.

pierzynski07
03-25-2008, 07:29 PM
You left off one of the other ways in which the A's are getting shafted:

On Wed, April 2 the A's are at home vs. the Red Sox. Both teams have an off day on April 3 and the Red Sox play at Toronto on April 4 (night game). Per MLB rules and the CBA, the A's are allowed to set the game time for the April 2 game to whenever they want. Naturally, they wanted a 7:05 PM start, in anticipation of getting a sellout vs. the Red Sox. From what I understand, they printed their tickets with the 7:05 start time. Well, the Red Sox whined and complained that they would be tired due to their trip to Japan (poor babies) and got the league to force the A's to change the game time to 12:35.

For me, this is simply reason # 654,485 as to why I totally despise the Red Cubs.

Hmmm. Sounds like BS to me.

BadBobbyJenks
03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Do Oakland fans care? Considering they cant put people in the upper deck for playoff games, I would guess not.

Fenway
03-25-2008, 07:34 PM
The A's ownership gets a huge payday from MLB PLUS 4 more Boston games in Oakland.......... cry me a river

That said they are TOTALLY forgotten here in Japan

Chicken Dinner
03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Don't really care about either team. :D:

Elephant
03-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Does anyone else think it's ridiculous how MLB likes to open the season in another country all the time? I don't know, I don't really care either way. It's not like baseball is America's pastime or anything.

:shrug:

anewman35
03-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Does anyone else think it's ridiculous how MLB likes to open the season in another country all the time? I don't know, I don't really care either way. It's not like baseball is America's pastime or anything.

:shrug:

You're right. Baseball should stay only in America. And we should only use American players. That's how it should be. Screw the rest of the world!

doublem23
03-26-2008, 07:28 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't mind of our Sox played its home games against the Carmines in Japan, or Mexico, or somewhere else in the world so we wouldn't have to deal with the infestation of douchebags that we do every year.

SoxFan78
03-26-2008, 08:24 AM
I watched part of the game this morning on ESPN and I was surprised that the A's were even playing. I did get lots of info about the Boston Red Cubs and also the Yankees, but of the A's, not so much.

skottyj242
03-26-2008, 09:48 AM
I watched part of the game this morning on ESPN and I was surprised that the A's were even playing. I did get lots of info about the Boston Red Cubs and also the Yankees, but of the A's, not so much.

Couldn't agree more. It didn't matter who they were playing the broadcast was all about the Red Sox. They're losing this morning, two outs in the ninth and all they were showing was what was going on in the Red Sox dugout. Even after the game was over they stayed with the Red Sox.

AZChiSoxFan
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't mind of our Sox played its home games against the Carmines in Japan, or Mexico, or somewhere else in the world so we wouldn't have to deal with the infestation of douchebags that we do every year.

Classic post!!!

Have I mentioned yet in this thread how much I despise the Red Cubs?