PDA

View Full Version : Cubs sign Reed Johnson

CHIsoxNation
03-25-2008, 03:07 PM
So does this mean they couldn't pull off the deal for Crisp?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/859814,cubs032508.article

kittle42
03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I just think they don't think they need Crisp. Johnson is a solid enough backup at each OF position.

esbrechtel
03-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Doesn't he have an awful goatee? I swear this guy had it in like a ponytail when they played the sox...Boone should take notes :D:

russ99
03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
I just think they don't think they need Crisp. Johnson is a solid enough backup at each OF position.

That's all he is, though, a backup. One that hit righthanders poorly enough (.202 last year) so he was cut by the Blue Jays.

It seems to me both the Cubs players and fans were expecting a big move to shore up obvious weaknesses before the season. They have to be disappointed in Hendry grabbing Johnson off the pile of discards instead of dealing for Crisp / Marlon Byrd and Brian Roberts...

jabrch
03-25-2008, 06:15 PM
If his back is OK, he's exactly what they need to platoon with Pie.

Brian26
03-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Hendry the Thief pulls it off again. Watch Johnson hit .375 this year with 30 HRs because he loves playing at the Friendly Confines so much because of the history, the tradition and the mutual love affair between the fans and the storied franchise that is the Chicago National League Ballclub.

DrCrawdad
03-25-2008, 08:48 PM
If his back is OK, he's exactly what they need to platoon with Pie.

Why the need of a platoon with Pie, wasn't he their next Cory Patterson?

gogosox16
03-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Why the need of a platoon with Pie, wasn't he their next Cory Patterson?
I thought they were going to do a platoon with Pie and Sam Fuld or something

Johnnydogs
03-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I thought they were going to do a platoon with Pie and Sam Fuld or something

Pie and Fuld are both left handed so that can't be the case. I think Johnson was picked up as insurance because they didn't have a backup CFer and they needed someone to hit from the right side against tough lefties. Marlon Byrd is no prize and Coco Crisp would want to play more than Pie. I think it was a smart move for them because Pie will get the majority of the ABs.