PDA

View Full Version : Canseco accuses A-Rod....sort of.

Sockinchisox
03-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Apparently someone got their hands on a copy "Vindicated" and in it, Canseco accuses A-Rod of....going after his wife. He also says he introduced A-Rod to a supplier of steroids.

...And that he personally injected Maggs with steroids.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spcanseco0326,0,1346697.story

Rockin Robin
03-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Didn't he try to get Magglio to give him some money for the book, otherwise he'll implicate him?

skottyj242
03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Didn't he try to get Magglio to give him some money for the book, otherwise he'll implicate him?

I believe so.

jenn2080
03-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Canseco needs to go away.

RoobarbPie
03-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Here's a spoiler of the book which seems to be legit because Baseball Musings is posting about it too:

http://www.joelavin.com/canseco.html

How classy of Jose to end a chapter with this: "So A-Rod, if you're reading this book, and if I'm not getting through to you, let's get clear on one thing: I hate your ****ing guts."

SoxyStu
03-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Here's a spoiler of the book which seems to be legit because Baseball Musings is posting about it too:

http://www.joelavin.com/canseco.html

How classy of Jose to end a chapter with this: "So A-Rod, if you're reading this book, and if I'm not getting through to you, let's get clear on one thing: I hate your ****ing guts."

If Jose really believes that A-Rod was trying to steal his wife from right under his nose, how classy is that? Wouldn't you be pissed if you really believed someone tried to steal your wife/girl from right under your nose?

FedEx227
03-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm pretty sure A-Rod could get 99% of the women on this planet... why would he go after Canseco's wife?

RoobarbPie
03-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty sure A-Rod could get 99% of the women on this planet... why would he go after Canseco's wife?

That's exactly what I was thinking as I read that, although if what Jose says is true then I would agree with the post above yours - I'd be pissed at him too. They should just settle it in the octagon on PPV.

pjchisox13
03-25-2008, 02:57 PM

I agree about A-Rod finding any woman, I just find that, I know I've read this on this site before, if Canseco knew all of this stuff about before why didn't he put it in the first book? He had know idea that the first book was going to be a seller or a dud so why not put everything you know (which I think he did) and go from there. This A-Rod, I introduced him to a steroid supplier is a little weak anyways.

voodoochile
03-25-2008, 02:59 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking as I read that, although if what Jose says is true then I would agree with the post above yours - I'd be pissed at him too. They should just settle it in the octagon on PPV.

:canseco
"Great idea. I'll bring this bat, a bunch of coke and the roid rage, just make sure playrod is there..."

FedEx227
03-25-2008, 03:06 PM
I agree about A-Rod finding any woman, I just find that, I know I've read this on this site before, if Canseco knew all of this stuff about before why didn't he put it in the first book? He had know idea that the first book was going to be a seller or a dud so why not put everything you know (which I think he did) and go from there. This A-Rod, I introduced him to a steroid supplier is a little weak anyways.

Yeah, his first book was tell-all.

So this is tell-all MORE, tell-all AGAIN. Get out of here Jose.

DSpivack
03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
So A-Rod is supposedly a cheater and a cheater?

Viva Medias B's
03-25-2008, 09:07 PM
So Canseco will claim that he injected Ordóñez with steroids, implying that it happened in 2001 when both were on the Sox. Perhaps Ozzie believes this happened and, hence, it was what he might have meant in his rant against Ordóñez a few years ago when he said "I could [bleep] him in so many ways."

If it turned out that Ordóñez used PEDs, it would be very shameful.

chisoxfanatic
03-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Canseco needs to go away.

Agreed. A lot of this is the pot calling the kettle black.

Gregory Pratt
03-25-2008, 11:39 PM

He says his first publisher objected to Rodriguez and Clemens, and he also claims that President Bush might be behind a conspiracy to protect "Rocket." That's what he says.

(For what it's worth, I believe that Rodriguez is a steroid user, or was, but not because of this. That's not what this is about, however; my belief and idea. I'm just saying, according to the review, this is why he didn't put them in the first book.)

Viva Medias B's
03-28-2008, 09:06 AM
ABC's "Nightline" did a story on this last night in which José Canseco was interviewed. In the story, Canseco claimed that he injected Mágglio Ordóñez with steroids in the White Sox clubhouse in 2001 when they were teammates. When asked about this, Ordóñez issued what appears to be a non-denial saying there are more important things to worry about.

Link (http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=4538905&page=1)

This obviously raises an issue for us as White Sox fans. When Ordóñez was a member of the White Sox, we often promoted him with pride as the (what we probably believed at the time) clean right fielder alternative to Sammy Sosa on the other side of town. While we often ripped Sosa for his alleged steroid use, his one-dimensional play, his showboating, etc., we praised Ordóñez as our quiet and productive right fielder who did not (we thought at the time) use PEDs. If indeed Ordóñez used PEDs, it brings nothing but shame. It does not matter whether Canseco "corrupted" Ordóñez's mind by introducing him to steroids. If Canseco's claims are true about Ordóñez, Mágglio was the one who made the choice to use them. And, for that, he deserves scorn from us.

Juice16
03-28-2008, 09:29 AM
This obviously raises an issue for us as White Sox fans. When Ordóñez was a member of the White Sox, we often promoted him with pride as the (what we probably believed at the time) clean right fielder alternative to Sammy Sosa on the other side of town. While we often ripped Sosa for his alleged steroid use, his one-dimensional play, his showboating, etc., we praised Ordóñez as our quiet and productive right fielder who did not (we thought at the time) use PEDs. If indeed Ordóñez used PEDs, it brings nothing but shame. It does not matter whether Canseco "corrupted" Ordóñez's mind by introducing him to steroids. If Canseco's claims are true about Ordóñez, Mágglio was the one who made the choice to use them. And, for that, he deserves scorn from us.

I agree, this scares me about Magglio. I'm tired of this go away Jose crap. I'm glad someone has the guts to name names. He has admitted taking them and as not been wrong. Magglio hasn't given any of us a reason to trust him after the way he departed while Jose hasn't given us a reason not to believe what he claims.

voodoochile
03-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I am not surprised by this at all. Magglio always struck me as a me first kind of guy who wanted to get paid above all else. I wouldn't be surprised if part of his recovery from the knee problem involved tons and tons of HGH.

I got over Magglio a long time ago. None of this makes me think any better of him. Enjoy your time in Detroit you overpaid cheater...

Red Barchetta
03-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Agreed. A lot of this is the pot calling the kettle black.

Canseco is breaking every social "man-law" code possible. He's basically the face of the steriod era and since he knows he won't make the HOF, he's trying to bring down everyone with him.

As stated earlier, the blame goes beyond the few marquee players and should be shared with the players union, trainers, owners and coaches. It's a black eye era to the game and I'm glad we're moving on.

To me, Canseco won't be remembered by his play, rather the home run that bounced off his head and into the stands. :D:

Viva Medias B's
03-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Not that I would recommend buying it, but I spotted the new Canseco book at my local Borders. I thought its street date was 4/1.

FedEx227
03-28-2008, 01:12 PM
I am not surprised by this at all. Magglio always struck me as a me first kind of guy who wanted to get paid above all else. I wouldn't be surprised if part of his recovery from the knee problem involved tons and tons of HGH.

I got over Magglio a long time ago. None of this makes me think any better of him. Enjoy your time in Detroit you overpaid cheater...

I'm not a big fan of Magglio either, but let's not have a Salem Witch/McCarthy thing happening here.

Canseco had a chance to "tell-all" and he did, his first book for the most part was very accurate... however now he's "TELLING ALL AGAIN" and we're going to immediately consider it as fact. I'm all for jumping on steroid abusers, but I would like a bit more evidence than Jose trying to sell his new book.

Viva Medias B's
03-28-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm not a big fan of Magglio either, but let's not have a Salem Witch/McCarthy thing happening here.

Canseco had a chance to "tell-all" and he did, his first book for the most part was very accurate... however now he's "TELLING ALL AGAIN" and we're going to immediately consider it as fact. I'm all for jumping on steroid abusers, but I would like a bit more evidence than Jose trying to sell his new book.

I agree with that, but I think that if Mágglio Ordóñez used PEDs he should be held accountable. So should everyone else who used them as well as those who enabled that to happen.

FedEx227
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree with that, but I think that if Mágglio Ordóñez used PEDs he should be held accountable. So should everyone else who used them as well as those who enabled that to happen.

And we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But I'm not about to say "I KNEW MAGGLIO WAS A SCUMBAG CHEATER" because right now, we have no idea if he's done it or not.

You can't really point to any significant changes in body shape or statistics, so right now it's just word vs. word until we get more developments.

FloridaTigers
03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
As long as Maggs hasn't done it as a Tiger, it wouldn't matter to me ;).

I seriously doubt this will hurt A-Rod or Maggs anyways. The public is already tired of all this. Yes, many people used steroids. Can we please move on?

Viva Medias B's
03-29-2008, 12:13 AM
The public is already tired of all this. Yes, many people used steroids. Can we please move on?

No. This problem of MLB players using PEDs has not ceased. We can "move on" when it does.

kaufsox
03-29-2008, 12:19 AM
And we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But I'm not about to say "I KNEW MAGGLIO WAS A SCUMBAG CHEATER" because right now, we have no idea if he's done it or not.

You can't really point to any significant changes in body shape or statistics, so right now it's just word vs. word until we get more developments.

I agree with you on this, but the one troubling aspect of this is why the non-denial statements? If it is untrue and slanderous, why doesn't anyone sue Canseco? I've believed for sometime that the guys who got caught were just the tip of the iceberg. By the time testing actually occurred, the majority of users had cleaned up. I really wish the testing system would catch up with the pharmaceuticals so we can finally get a clean game.

Viva Medias B's
03-29-2008, 12:24 AM
I agree with you on this, but the one troubling aspect of this is why the non-denial statements? If it is untrue and slanderous, why doesn't anyone sue Canseco? I've believed for sometime that the guys who got caught were just the tip of the iceberg. By the time testing actually occurred, the majority of users had cleaned up. I really wish the testing system would catch up with the pharmaceuticals so we can finally get a clean game.

Bingo. If I was a clean MLB player and Canseco accused me of using steroids, I'd sue his arse off. I am not saying Ordóñez or anyone else not cited in the Mitchell Report but fingered by Canseco is guilty. But a lack of proactive defense against Canseco's claims raises red flags.

twentywontowin
03-29-2008, 12:31 AM

Bringing a suit up for slander is a slipperly slope. You have to prove intent along with proof of how the slander has caused you hardship. It's a tough one to fight for both parties.

FarWestChicago
03-29-2008, 08:41 AM

Canseco had a chance to "tell-all" and he did, his first book for the most part was very accurate... however now he's "TELLING ALL AGAIN" and we're going to immediately consider it as fact. I'm all for jumping on steroid abusers, but I would like a bit more evidence than Jose trying to sell his new book.That's what everybody said the last time. The next time somebody Canseco has ratted out is innocent will be the first time. :nod:

FedEx227
03-29-2008, 09:50 AM
That's what everybody said the last time. The next time somebody Canseco has ratted out is innocent will be the first time. :nod:

But I'm more willing to trust Canseco's first "TELL ALL" book than I am his all of a sudden, "Oh wait, here's bombshell news on some even bigger guys that apparently I just completely forgot!"

thedudeabides
03-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Have you seen Magglio the last couple of years? He lost a significant amount of weight. His agent attributed it to a stomach virus in '05, that mysteriously turned into a hernia. He never managed to put the weight back on.

Elephant
03-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Yeah, his first book was tell-all.

So this is tell-all MORE, tell-all AGAIN. Get out of here Jose.

I believe the followup to a tell-all is tell-all 2 the x-treme.

TommyJohn
03-29-2008, 07:33 PM
But I'm more willing to trust Canseco's first "TELL ALL" book than I am his all of a sudden, "Oh wait, here's bombshell news on some even bigger guys that apparently I just completely forgot!"

That has me wondering. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Ordonez is
100% clean, but why didn't he call them out in the first book? Ordonez
and Rodriguez are two highly recognized stars. Surely Canseco would
have spilled the beans in the first book.

And am I the only one who finds his story suspicious? He claims to have
introduced all these players to steroids himself? I haven't read the books
but how many players does he claim to have personally injected?

I don't believe Ordonez is an angel. He has lost a lot of weight, but with
the drug culture going on in baseball, I find it hard to believe that he
didn't discover them until Roid Boy himself arrived in Chicago and added
him to the list of players he personally injected.

Ziggy S
03-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I believe the followup to a tell-all is tell-all 2 the x-treme.
He's probably been hanging out with this guy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Vanilla_Ice-To_the_Extreme_%28album_cover%29.JPG