PDA

View Full Version : Wood Cubs new closer

JermaineDye05
03-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Link (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080324&content_id=2454692&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc)

Wonder if this will last longer then Soriano in Center.

On a serious note, he has the stuff however I think Marmol would be a better closer. I may just be saying this because Marmol is on my fantasy team :D:.

TDog
03-24-2008, 11:18 PM
If the Cubs don't play a lot of close games on consecutive days, they might be able to make it work. I don't know if Wood has the ability to effectively pitch on successive days the way closers often must.

When Kerry Wood struck out 20 and became a legend, I told people he wouldn't win as many games in his career as Wilbur Wood did in his. Now I will predict he won't save as many games as Wilbur Wood did.

At this point, Mark Buehrle has more saves than Kerry Wood, but that's including World Series stats, unfair because that is something Kerry Wood will never have.

fquaye149
03-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I think you meant "Woods"

WhiteSox5187
03-25-2008, 02:09 AM
I've actually met Kerry Wood and he is an incredibly nice guy, I wish him the best and I actually think he'd make a good closer.

DrCrawdad
03-25-2008, 07:41 AM
If the Cubs don't play a lot of close games on consecutive days, they might be able to make it work. I don't know if Wood has the ability to effectively pitch on successive days the way closers often must.

When Kerry Wood struck out 20 and became a legend, I told people he wouldn't win as many games in his career as Wilbur Wood did in his. Now I will predict he won't save as many games as Wilbur Wood did.

At this point, Mark Buehrle has more saves than Kerry Wood, but that's including World Series stats, unfair because that is something Kerry Wood will never have.

Ouch!

They've been proudly boasting about Wood going over 100 mph this spring, but I think that was the Cubbies juiced radar guns.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/archive/thumb0707.jpg

PatK
03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I've actually met Kerry Wood and he is an incredibly nice guy, I wish him the best and I actually think he'd make a good closer.

In his career, he's shown a tendency to get hammered early. Granted, that's as a starter, but something that could crossover into the closer roll.

DumpJerry
03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
He could be their Dustin Hermanson, 2005 model. However, this will not be their 2005.

veeter
03-25-2008, 10:09 AM
The cubs still haven't learned that relying on Wood to perform in key positions,(i.e starter, now closer) is a mistake. He's best served as a mop-up guy. He can make his grand appearance from the pen, the crowd goes nuts and everyone is happy, win or lose. Now he's back to the pressure cooker. I like Kerry, but it just never works out.

palehozenychicty
03-25-2008, 10:40 AM
The cubs still haven't learned that relying on Wood to perform in key positions,(i.e starter, now closer) is a mistake. He's best served as a mop-up guy. He can make his grand appearance from the pen, the crowd goes nuts and everyone is happy, win or lose. Now he's back to the pressure cooker. I like Kerry, but it just never works out.

:scratch: Seriously. I've heard of torturing oneself, but....

veeter
03-25-2008, 12:55 PM
:scratch: Seriously. I've heard of torturing oneself, but....What do you mean?

palehozenychicty
03-25-2008, 01:58 PM
What do you mean?

The Cubs constantly hyping Wood as answer that will put them over the top when he has rarely shown the consistency to do this. It ain't gonna happen. That is the masochism I was referring to.

SoxNation05
03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
I say he will get injured on April 13th.

TornLabrum
03-25-2008, 08:48 PM
What are the odds that he leads the league in simulated saves?

turners56
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
What happened to Carlos Marmol? Cubs management just never learns...depending on Wood is gonna screw them over again.

PicktoCLick72
03-27-2008, 07:44 PM
If wood is throwing with the towel in the simulated game, who gets the save Wood or the towel?

MarySwiss
03-27-2008, 08:01 PM
I say he will get injured on April 13th.

Optimist! I call April 4th at the latest.

Tragg
03-27-2008, 08:25 PM
I have a Cub question and didn't want to start a thread, so pardon the hijack.
Today, Brenly was raving about Murton - going to win a batting title (probably in the AL) - but he's not good enough to make the Cubs' major league roster. Yet, they just signed Reeves Johnson, who was cut by Toronto and Johnson will make the roster. Does that make sense?

Frontman
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I have a Cub question and didn't want to start a thread, so pardon the hijack.
Today, Brenly was raving about Murton - going to win a batting title (probably in the AL) - but he's not good enough to make the Cubs' major league roster. Yet, they just signed Reeves Johnson, who was cut by Toronto and Johnson will make the roster. Does that make sense?

To Cubs fans; yes. Jesse Rogers sitting in for Mike Murphy today on the Score kept on touting that the Cubs would lose out on trading/releasing Murton. Yet he's just an ok hitter, can't play any outfield position well, and sure as heck shouldn't play an infield position.

So, if he isn't all that great, what would the Cubs be missing out on if he's traded/released?

:scratch:

Boondock Saint
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Just another bad move by the Cubs. Marmol is obviously the guy you want in the closer role. The only smart thing I've seen them do recently is move Soriano out of the lead off spot.

EndemicSox
03-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Good for Wood, even though he plays on the wrong side of town, I've always respected his ability. Marmol will get the role before long, but I think many underestimate the value of a guy who can pitch the 7th and 8th innings in dominating fashion...