PDA

View Full Version : State of the Sox...

Parrothead
03-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Over the last 11 games in Spring Training, where the majority of the guys who will not be making the team, the Sox have 1 w - 7 L - 3 ties. Who out there feels comfortable with the team that is going to take the field this year? The Sox have been truely horrible in every aspect of the game.

The pitching has been way beyond horrible...Contreas, Danks, Floyd, Perez and Logan, McDougal, Masset all with ERA's over 5. The only bright spots I see are A. Ramirez, J. Owens and B. Anderson and who knows what is going to happen with these guys.

To me it appears that it is more of the same as last year. "We will be fine" , "I feel good about our team" ect....The offense may come around but the pitching is going to get beat like a red head step child. Wear your hard hats in the outfield this year there will be a lot balls going out to those seats...I am begining to agree with BP. Looks like another long season.

kittle42
03-24-2008, 10:46 PM
The offense may come around but the pitching is going to get beat like a red head step child. Wear your hard hats in the outfield this year there will be a lot balls going out to those seats...I am begining to agree with BP. Looks like another long season.

Let them play the games.

ksimpson14
03-24-2008, 10:49 PM
It's less about 'we'll be fine' and more about not being able to judge from spring either way. Here are our stats from 05 ST http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/springStats?team=chw&type=pitch&year=2005

4/5 of our starting rotation had a ERA over 6

kittle42
03-24-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't need ST stats to tell me 3 of these guys probably stink.

A. Cavatica
03-24-2008, 11:53 PM
The pitching has been way beyond horrible...Contreas, Danks, Floyd, Perez and Logan, McDougal, Masset all with ERA's over 5.

Perez has been beyond beyond horrible (15 hits in 3.2 innings, 29.45 ERA) but he shouldn't have been in big league camp anyway.

areilly
03-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Over the last 11 games in Spring Training, where the majority of the guys who will not be making the team, the Sox have 1 w - 7 L - 3 ties. Who out there feels comfortable with the team that is going to take the field this year? The Sox have been truely horrible in every aspect of the game.

You know when the Sox also had a bad spring? 2005 BABY!!!! YEAH!!!! WOOO!!!!! YEAH!!!!

TDog
03-25-2008, 12:07 AM
You're right. And Tampa Bay looks like they can start printing postseason tickets. It looks like they have a good chance of meeting the Marlins in the World Series.

When I was 12, I was excited with the coming 1970 season. Johnny Matias was hitting .500 in Florida, where the Sox looked great.

Parrothead
03-25-2008, 12:33 AM
You know when the Sox also had a bad spring? 2005 BABY!!!! YEAH!!!! WOOO!!!!! YEAH!!!!

You're right. And Tampa Bay looks like they can start printing postseason tickets. It looks like they have a good chance of meeting the Marlins in the World Series.

When I was 12, I was excited with the coming 1970 season. Johnny Matias was hitting .500 in Florida, where the Sox looked great.

I really don't understand the most people acceptance of a crappy team performance. While the team record is bad, the individual performances are worse and more of an indication of how bad each individual will be, especially the pitchers. Anyone who thinks the pitching will be fine is just completely nuts.

For the record the 2005 Spring training record was 14 - 18. Not extremely horrible but bad none the less. I am not sure how they performed in the last 2 weeks though perhaps thier record / stats were better. Not sure.

Either way, just because the Sox won one World Series with a bad spring training record once in 88 years is not an indication that will likely happen again.

Elephant
03-25-2008, 12:41 AM
This is an annual conversation.

Pretty much nothing about ST matters except the development and performance of players who aren't guaranteed to make the club.

If you want to worry about ST records, fine. It's just not real baseball. :shrug:

whitem0nkey
03-25-2008, 12:43 AM
It's less about 'we'll be fine' and more about not being able to judge from spring either way. Here are our stats from 05 ST http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/springStats?team=chw&type=pitch&year=2005

4/5 of our starting rotation had a ERA over 6

:SuperFan: and Rowand Batted .438, a sign of thing to come my friend

TDog
03-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Either way, just because the Sox won one World Series with a bad spring training record once in 88 years is not an indication that will likely happen again.

And by the same token, Sox teams have had great springs and lousy seasons. This is because there is no relationship between spring training and the regular season.

Spring training is so unimportant that I ignore it. I learned to ignore it. Before looking up the "standings" tonight, I guessed that Tampa Bay and Florida would have great records, though.

Whitesox029
03-25-2008, 12:58 AM
I really don't understand the most people acceptance of a crappy team performance. While the team record is bad, the individual performances are worse and more of an indication of how bad each individual will be, especially the pitchers. Anyone who thinks the pitching will be fine is just completely nuts.

For the record the 2005 Spring training record was 14 - 18. Not extremely horrible but bad none the less. I am not sure how they performed in the last 2 weeks though perhaps thier record / stats were better. Not sure.

If this is the way you feel, then why even watch the Sox? And if you're not going to watch, why even continue to post here? It will just depress you and everyone on this site. To you I say good-bye and good riddance, and we'll see you back the next time the Sox go 27-5 in spring training.
:darkclouds:+:darkcloud:=
:threadsucks

whitesoxfan
03-25-2008, 01:01 AM
People actually pay that much attention to Spring Training?

ksimpson14
03-25-2008, 01:16 AM

Yeah, sorry, I'm not some blind idiot fan, I'm using our last reference point of success to back up my point that you can't judge it one way or another. I'm not saying "because it was bad in 2005, that must mean we'll win a championship this year"

A. Cavatica
03-25-2008, 01:25 AM
The Sox haven't had the best Spring Training record since 1911, and it's time they broke through.

Parrothead
03-25-2008, 02:28 AM
If this is the way you feel, then why even watch the Sox? And if you're not going to watch, why even continue to post here? It will just depress you and everyone on this site. To you I say good-bye and good riddance, and we'll see you back the next time the Sox go 27-5 in spring training.

I was just curious if people out there were as concerned as I. Guess not. It would appear I am a dark cloud (which worked for me for the last 2 years) and I am the only one where everything is not rainbows and puppies. And for your information, I am on planning watching the Sox less (for monetary reasons-they have finally priced me out. I canceled my season tix) and there are too many other options, like the other local minor league teams. At least I will be paying minor league prices for a minor league quality team. Note, I will be in NY to see them play there knocking out 2 more stadiums on my MLB list.

cards press box
03-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Most of the posters here rightly subscribe to Earl Weaver's theory that spring training records mean absolutely nothing. As Weaver observed in Weaver on Strategy, they call them exhibition games because they don't count. Weaver also said that he spent his time evaluating players and not worrying about winning exhibition games. Makes sense to me.

LoveYourSuit
03-25-2008, 04:07 AM
:darkclouds:+:darkcloud:=
:threadsucks

Wow, give the guy a break !

He has the right to be concerned. I'm concerned too as many other Sox fans are not because of spring training but because of plenty of holes on this team. But only the games will tell if all of sudden the lights come on and those holes don't exist.

I think this is the one year this "dark cloud" reference and nonesense should not exist ...... it's hard to be a dark cloud when already no one expects this team to win. It is what it is.

PeoriaSoxFan
03-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Last week on the Score (forgive me God for listening to Murph for 15 min) and John Dewan rattled off a stat that about 2/3rds of all playoff teams, over the past 12 yrs. had a winning ST record. 05 obviously puts a hole in that stat, but I do hope the Sox pick it up this week. I am most concerned about Danks and moreover Floyd. I also worry about the lack of offense recently, esp. vs LH. I alo see the same tendency to not move runners over, etc. I do think this team has way more depth than in the past though, with some new exciting players. My hope springs eternal; I can see anywhere btw 75 and 90 + wins. I think the first 12 games will be critical vs tough div. rivals. Hopefully we are above 500 in that stretch, when it counts.

Iwritecode
03-25-2008, 10:02 AM
It would appear I am a dark cloud (which worked for me for the last 2 years) and I am the only one where everything is not rainbows and puppies.

So you're one of those people that predicts the Sox will be bad so you can come back at the end of the season and say "See! I told you so!"

areilly
03-25-2008, 11:23 AM
So you're one of those people that predicts the Sox will be bad so you can come back at the end of the season and say "See! I told you so!"

That's a pretty dismissive assessment of people who think the team will be bad. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be down on this team, just as there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Why can't people accept the fact that we all have our own reasons for feeling the way we do about this team? Damn!

BRDSR
03-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I was just curious if people out there were as concerned as I. Guess not. It would appear I am a dark cloud (which worked for me for the last 2 years) and I am the only one where everything is not rainbows and puppies. And for your information, I am on planning watching the Sox less (for monetary reasons-they have finally priced me out. I canceled my season tix) and there are too many other options, like the other local minor league teams. At least I will be paying minor league prices for a minor league quality team. Note, I will be in NY to see them play there knocking out 2 more stadiums on my MLB list.

I share your concern. It didn't stop me from buying a plane ticket home to keep my Opening Day streak alive, but I share your concern.

At the very best, I think this team will look like the Reds or Brewers of the past few years. Good starts with young, talented players who get injured/falter down the stretch and end up with 80-85 wins. If this team wins more than 85 games I'd be very surprised and if it makes the playoffs I'd be absolutely astounded.

It doesn't matter what the spring record is; playoff teams just don't have this many question marks on Opening Day.

TomBradley72
03-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes I'm concerned. I'm concerned that Owens is our lead off man and starting CF. I'm worried that 60% of our rotation is Contreras, Danks and Floyd. I'm concerned how much we will count on Linebrink and Dotal this year. I'm concerned we have virtually nothing at the AA/AAA that has any chance of helping us in the near future.

But the results of spring training games have nothing to do with my concerns. They are practice games played on practice fields in Arizona.

Carolina Kenny
03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes I'm concerned. I'm concerned that Owens is our lead off man and starting CF. I'm worried that 60% of our rotation is Contreras, Danks and Floyd. I'm concerned how much we will count on Linebrink and Dotal this year. I'm concerned we have virtually nothing at the AA/AAA that has any chance of helping us in the near future.

But the results of spring training games have nothing to do with my concerns. They are practice games played on practice fields in Arizona.

Start the season PLEASE. I am concerned Orlando Cabrea will lead all MLB shortsops in throwing errors this year!!

kjhanson
03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
While the team record is bad, the individual performances are worse and more of an indication of how bad each individual will be, especially the pitchers.

Show me the proof of this and I will believe you. Every study that I've ever read about spring training performance translating into regular season success has come up empty. In other words, you're wrong.

Whitesox029
03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Wow, give the guy a break !

He has the right to be concerned. I'm concerned too as many other Sox fans are not because of spring training but because of plenty of holes on this team. But only the games will tell if all of sudden the lights come on and those holes don't exist.

I think this is the one year this "dark cloud" reference and nonesense should not exist ...... it's hard to be a dark cloud when already no one expects this team to win. It is what it is.
I'm going to defend myself on this one.

I never said I wasn't concerned too. I am just as concerned as any Sox fan. The thing is, there is a huge difference between being concerned and being a "dark cloud." Do I think the Sox have better than a 10-1 shot at winning the division? No, not really. There are a heck of a lot of things that would have to go right. But do I go around proclaiming "we're done" and "the season was over before it began"? No, absolutely not. If that's what you want to think, then fine, but please keep it to yourself. I don't know about everyone else, but I am feverishly excited for the season to start every year, no matter how bad the Sox appear to be. Basically, I see this thread as telling me I have nothing to be excited about. Part of the reason baseball is so great is that it's so unpredictable.
For example, I could probably fit inside my dorm room:
-Every person in America who predicted that the Red Sox would win the ALCS after the first 3 games in 2004
-Every person who picked the Sox to win the World Series in '05
-Every person who thought Mark Buehrle would ever throw a no-hitter (there aren't many; he throws too many strikes)
-Every person who thought Esteban Loaiza would win 21 games in 2003
-Every person who thought on September 1 that the Rockies or Phillies even had a chance to sniff the '07 playoffs
...and on and on and on.

And if you aren't going to go to as many games this year, Parrothead, that's your call. I didn't go to as many last year as I did in '06. When I said "don't watch," I meant "don't even bother following the Sox." There is absolutely no reason to give up on your team, as you seem to be doing, before they even set foot in a real baseball stadium. If you ask me, that's toeing the line of being a fairweather fan. And again: If you choose to do so, at least keep it to yourself and don't put a damper on the excitement and enjoyment of people who don't write their team off based on nothing but a whim and a meaningless spring training record.
[/rant]

A.T. Money
03-25-2008, 12:34 PM
This is the same tune every year. Really, it's just another typical year in AZ, where the Sox have ALWAYS been bad.

Ever since the move to Tucson, we've been pathetic.

kittle42
03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Why are we arguing about the results of spring training carrying over into the season when - as several posters here have pointed out - this team has all the makings of a .500 club? I don't need Arizona to tell me that. If they went 32-0 or 0-32, I'd feel the same way.

Iwritecode
03-25-2008, 12:40 PM
That's a pretty dismissive assessment of people who think the team will be bad. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to be down on this team, just as there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. Why can't people accept the fact that we all have our own reasons for feeling the way we do about this team? Damn!

I didn't say everyone. Just the one person that's a self-admitted dark cloud and made the comment that it's "worked for me for the last 2 years."

That reeks of "I told you so" to me.

Whitesox029
03-25-2008, 12:41 PM
In addition, I consider myself a member of the Chicago White Sox family as a loyal, lifelong fan. Not someone who stands at the margins (season tickets or not) and decides a minor league team is more worth my time the second things start to look a little down or the prices go up a little, as they are bound to do every year, for every team.

btrain929
03-25-2008, 12:50 PM

The pitching has been way beyond horrible...Contreas, Danks, Floyd, Perez and Logan, McDougal, Masset all with ERA's over 5. The only bright spots I see are A. Ramirez, J. Owens and B. Anderson and who knows what is going to happen with these guys.

To me it appears that it is more of the same as last year. "We will be fine" , "I feel good about our team" ect....The offense may come around but the pitching is going to get beat like a red head step child. Wear your hard hats in the outfield this year there will be a lot balls going out to those seats...I am begining to agree with BP. Looks like another long season.

I do.

btrain929
03-25-2008, 12:59 PM

If you've really watch White Sox spring training, you should know how many games we were leading in going into the later innings of the game, only to let Oneli Perez, Carlos Vazquez, Adam Russell, and other minor league ****s piss the game away. Right there is at least a 5 game swing.

A lot of these hitters just want to see pitches. Pitches, pitches, pitches. If that means them getting in an 0-2 hole right away every at bat, so be it because it's SPRING TRAINING. Their approach to spring training games, ESPECIALLY in the final week when nobody wants to be there and they all wanna get the season started, is 200% different then we March 31st comes around.

Like other posters have stated, when you see TB and Florida on top of the standings, you know spring is a joke. Just let them get their reps in and do what they gotta do to get ready for the season. If they are 4-22 after April, then go ahead and tell us you told us so. Until then, :dtroll:

BRDSR
03-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Like other posters have stated, when you see TB and Florida on top of the standings, you know spring is a joke. Just let them get their reps in and do what they gotta do to get ready for the season. If they are 4-22 after April, then go ahead and tell us you told us so. Until then, :dtroll:

I don't think many people in this thread are suggesting that the spring results are necessarily indicative of the season the Sox are going to have. I think most people (at least I am) are suggesting that the current roster is indicative of a mediocre team.

You know what I call blind optimists? Cubs fans.

I don't really appreciate when people insinuate that I am a troll or somehow not a true fan just because I don't think this is a playoff team. I hope certainly hope I'm wrong and will gladly admit it if the White Sox are playing baseball in October.

Whitesox029
03-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't think many people in this thread are suggesting that the spring results are necessarily indicative of the season the Sox are going to have. I think most people (at least I am) are suggesting that the current roster is indicative of a mediocre team.

You know what I call blind optimists? Cubs fans.

I don't really appreciate when people insinuate that I am a troll or somehow not a true fan just because I don't think this is a playoff team. I hope certainly hope I'm wrong and will gladly admit it if the White Sox are playing baseball in October.
You don't want us to insinuate that you're a troll, and then you insinuate that we're "blind optimists" and "Cubs fans." Hmm.
First of all, nowhere, and I mean nowhere in my or btrain929's posts did we say that we thought this was a playoff team. In fact, I explicitly stated that I am very concerned with this team. You and several other people, however, seem to be missing the point entirely, and it's this:
It's impossible to state that a team has no chance based on a spring training record.
I think it is extremely foolish to say that a team is done for or that a team is World Series bound (notice that I am stating here that I think blind pessimism or optimism is foolish) based purely on Spring Training records. In fact, A Sox 'fan' who writes the team off and doesn't even follow them is just as foolish as a Cubs fan who wants to print playoff tickets.

To end with a cliched but perfectly valid statement, that is why they play the games.

rdivaldi
03-25-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm comfortable with the everyday lineup that's going to be on the field and the bullpen as a whole. The rotation is another story.

rdivaldi
03-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Show me the proof of this and I will believe you. Every study that I've ever read about spring training performance translating into regular season success has come up empty. In other words, you're wrong.

Grady Sizemore hit .115 in ST last year. That's really all you need to know, the stats are pretty much meaningless.

It's Dankerific
03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
You don't want us to insinuate that you're a troll, and then you insinuate that we're "blind optimists" and "Cubs fans." Hmm.

To end with a cliched but perfectly valid statement, that is why they play the games.

When is it ok to be pessimistic about the team? How many days before its "hindsight" only?

I lost alot of respect for some of the posters here last season. ST, too early, April, too early, May too early, June too early, July got a big run coming, August - easy to say NOW they're bad--- you WANTED them to fail and thats why they failed.

Give me a break. You can be a White Sox fan and still be pissed/upset/disappointed/crying about the current state of affairs.

rdivaldi
03-25-2008, 02:14 PM
It's okay to be pessimistic about this team's chances, but it's how people word their pessimism that comes off as Trollish, dark-cloudish or whatever.

It's completely reasonable to say that the Sox will only win 75- 77 games this year due to a lack of major league experience in the rotation, some question marks in the bullpen and fielding an offense similar to the one that was one of the worst in baseball last year. But when people use "suck", "terrible", "worst", etc. their statements are almost impossible to take seriously. It's like trying to hold a conversation with my 3 year old.

Bob G
03-25-2008, 02:18 PM
I think a better way to judge how successful (or not) Spring Training is to review how the team (including coaches and management) did relative to the goals they set prior to the start of ST.

According to KW and OG this is what they said they were going to accomplish:

1. Get 3rd base settled: Crede or Fields?
2. Get 2nd base settled: Richar, Uribe, Ramirez, or Ozuna?
3. Get center field settled: Owens, Quentin, or Anderson?
4. Get the bullpen settled: appear to be down to Masset or Wassermann for the final spot
5. Establish a winning attitude with more intensity and try to win as many games as possible (one of Ozzie's stated goals)
6. Have an established starting line up the last 2 weeks of ST (again this is from Ozzie)
7. Improve on the fundamentals such as base running and bunting - saw some evidence of this early on but I haven't heard anything recently.

So how did the team do on all of the above? Overall - not very good in my opinion.

BRDSR
03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
You and several other people, however, seem to be missing the point entirely, and it's this:
It's impossible to state that a team has no chance based on a spring training record.

I agree with that point.

I think it is extremely foolish to say that a team is done for or that a team is World Series bound (notice that I am stating here that I think blind pessimism or optimism is foolish) based purely on Spring Training records.

I still agree. However, I will add that it is not foolish to predict a poor season because of factors other than spring training records. It is simply realistic.

In fact, A Sox 'fan' who writes the team off and doesn't even follow them is just as foolish as a Cubs fan who wants to print playoff tickets.

I still agree, but only because a fan follows his or her team whether they're good or bad. Also, there is a difference between predicting a poor season and "writing the team off." The first is just that, a prediction. The second, as you suggest, means that the "fan" doesn't even follow the team to find out whether they're right or wrong.

Of course that's why we play the games. I think the White Sox are going to lose more of those games than they win this season, and that has nothing to do with their spring training record. It has to do with the players they will be putting on the field this season. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Also, sorry for insinuating you were like a Cubs fan. Pretty low blow, and uncalled for.

santo=dorf
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Grady Sizemore hit .115 in ST last year. That's really all you need to know, the stats are pretty much meaningless.
Got it. One batter defines the trend for 1000+ players.

How about Thome in 2006? He homered in the last 8 games or something and homered in the first two games of the season ending up with 10 homers in April.

kaufsox
03-25-2008, 02:29 PM
yawn. The games can't start soon enough.

rdivaldi
03-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Got it. One batter defines the trend for 1000+

Well that's pretty silly, the point I'm trying to get across is that you can't take Spring Training numbers and extrapolate them into the regular season. Sure some guys will carry hot streaks and cold streaks in from AZ or FL, but there's no evidence to suggest that their overall ST numbers hold any future predictions for the regular season. As for Thome in 2006, you're talking about a guy with a proven track record and pretty much put up numbers equal to his last 3 spring trainings in 2003- 2005. His 2006 wasn't remarkable either, pretty much close to his career averages, so I don't see what bringing him up has to do with anything.

Here's to #2000 :gulp:

Whitesox029
03-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I will add that it is not foolish to predict a poor season because of factors other than spring training records. It is simply realistic.

I still agree, but only because a fan follows his or her team whether they're good or bad. Also, there is a difference between predicting a poor season and "writing the team off." The first is just that, a prediction. The second, as you suggest, means that the "fan" doesn't even follow the team to find out whether they're right or wrong.

Also, sorry for insinuating you were like a Cubs fan. Pretty low blow, and uncalled for.
I think we're getting to the heart of why I take such exception to the original post in this thread and the one he posted in reply to me, and it's because the poster made it sound as if he didn't care to follow the Sox this season, like he's at a supermarket choosing a team to follow this year (in my book, that's being a fairweather fan). The other reason I didn't like it was that it just seemed unnecessary to say. What Sox fan wouldn't be concerned right now? Why do we need to bring out into the open what we all are aware of? As rdivaldi said, using words like "suck," "terrible" and "worst" is just putting a damper on all the people who are loyal (the good fans) and refuse to abandon the team at the first sign of bad times.

Also, apology accepted, no hard feelings. I always like these kinds of discussions to reach some sort of agreement, so that's what I'm working toward.

spawn
03-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Ichiro had a couple of hits yesterday to push his average to .211. That guy really sucks.

Right now our record is 0-0 in games that really matter. I think i'll wait until the season starts before I pass judment.

Whitesox029
03-25-2008, 03:00 PM
As a side note, my dad and I stuck with the Chicago Blackhawks through the thin times of the last 10 years or so, and our loyalty is paying off now. It's an extremely fulfilling feeling, as it was in 2005 when our Sox loyalty paid off. Believe me, things were worse for the Hawks in those years than they ever will be for the Sox.

jdm2662
03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
A few things.

Are there legit concerns of the White Sox? Of course there are. All teams have question marks coming into the season.

I have concerns about the strength of the division, the lineup bouncing back, having several inexperienced/unproven players on the roster, the rotation not being overally thrilled about, injuries questions, etc. There is nothing wrong with having these concerns.

That said, anyone who bases their opinions on the Sox Spring Training record/performance needs to find a better hobby. I pay no attention to preseason in any sport. Why? Because, for the most part, all it is are fluff pieces about how this player looks, and random stories just to fill air time. In fact, my friend went to a couple of spring training games in 2005 before he headed to Vegas. He was so unimpressed about the Sox performances, he didn't bet on the 18-1 odds to win the World Series. Opps.

Sure, I have concerns, but has NOTHING to do with Spring Training. I have no idea what the Sox record is, or how someone has been doing. Spring Training means nothing in general and it bores the hell out of me. As someone else has mentioned, the White Sox have had plenty of leads late in games only to be blown by players who will probably be in AA next week. Now, after March 31, if the team doesn't look very good, then call me. Those games actually count.