PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Devilishly Dumb Rays Demote Longoria

Mr. White Sox
03-24-2008, 04:59 PM
http://blogs.tampabay.com/rays/2008/03/longoria-sent-d.html

Speculation is so they can get an extra arbitration year in the future. I think this is a silly move to say the least, especially with the roster they have and the ability they had to maybe make a surprise splash in the East.

VenturaFan23
03-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Man, I drafted that guy thinking he was going to make the club for sure. He'll be back up soon, no doubt.

Huisj
03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Wasn't there some thing where if they keep him in the minors until some specific date at the end of April or in early May, it lets them keep him another year because of his cumulative service time?

It's Dankerific
03-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I think for free agency, he needs to spend one day in the minors. For that special arbitration status, he'd need to stay down there weeks/months.

I understand the $$$ implications. I hope they split the difference, bring him up the first weekend of baseball, save the FA year, pay the future arbitration $$$. You never know, it may lead to more goodwill from him in the long term.

PalehosePlanet
03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Wasn't there some thing where if they keep him in the minors until some specific date at the end of April or in early May, it lets them keep him another year because of his cumulative service time?

I believe that if they bring him up after June 1st then he would not be able to walk until 2014.

Delmon Young was right when he stated that --- and I'm paraphrasing --- that every young player wants to get the clock started so that in 6 years he could get away from them.

TomBradley72
03-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Pathetic.

So they save a year of his FA or arbitration in 2014.

And the player carries a chip on his shoulder for 6 years waiting to get the hell out of there. And every other player on the roster sees where management's priorities are. And so do potential free agents or draft choices. And so do their long suffering fans.

But they save a year of his FA or arbitration in 2014.

Bump34
03-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I know it sounds like the company line... but while he may have been the best 3rd baseman we had on the roster there were still some concerns about putting him on the Opening Day roster...

He only has 100 Triple-A at bats... he struck out 30 of those times... he did have 3 homers this spring but hit only .262... and most of his hits were off fastballs...

There is talk that this was a financial move... and yes if he spends a couple of weeks in the minors we push back his free agency back a year... but in order to push back his arbitration years he would have to stay in the minors til at least June...

Bottom line if he is tearing up Triple A after 10 days... 20 days... 2 months he will get called up...

BTW... how come nobody made a stink about Jay Bruce being sent down by the Reds? He is the #1 prospect in MLB... and has more AAA at bats than Longoria...

FedEx227
03-24-2008, 10:53 PM
I know it sounds like the company line... but while he may have been the best 3rd baseman we had on the roster there were still some concerns about putting him on the Opening Day roster...

He only has 100 Triple-A at bats... he struck out 30 of those times... he did have 3 homers this spring but hit only .262... and most of his hits were off fastballs...

There is talk that this was a financial move... and yes if he spends a couple of weeks in the minors we push back his free agency back a year... but in order to push back his arbitration years he would have to stay in the minors til at least June...

Bottom line if he is tearing up Triple A after 10 days... 20 days... 2 months he will get called up...

BTW... how come nobody made a stink about Jay Bruce being sent down by the Reds? He is the #1 prospect in MLB... and has more AAA at bats than Longoria...

Because it's Dusty and there's little surprise, he found his boy Corey Patterson.

It sucks, but we'll see him this year no matter what. I hate to see them do this though because the team stacked up real well with him at 3rd, allowing Iwamura to play 2B.

Who are you guys playing at 3rd then, Guzman? He's never really impressed me.

fozzy
03-24-2008, 11:11 PM
my bet is Willy Aybar he could lead-off and push everyone down a spot in the line-up.

FedEx227
03-24-2008, 11:18 PM
I'd be more in favor with that, Guzman to me is trash. Never liked him.

I'm really rooting for the Rays this year, the past couple of years I've supported them sort of as a joke, but then began really liking Rocco/Crawford, now I think they are a damn good overall team. Kazmir, Shields, Price, Iwamura, Upton, etc.

NardiWasHere
03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
I'd be more in favor with that, Guzman to me is trash. Never liked him.

I'm really rooting for the Rays this year, the past couple of years I've supported them sort of as a joke, but then began really liking Rocco/Crawford, now I think they are a damn good overall team. Kazmir, Shields, Price, Iwamura, Upton, etc.

I'm with you. There is tons of buzz surrounding Toronto, but I'm a TB guy myself. At the very least, I think they will definitely be a bigger spoiler than any other team in that division. And who knows... maybe they can stick around themselves.

Kazmir, Shields, Garza... that's not too shabby.

cws05champ
03-25-2008, 10:21 AM
I believe that if they bring him up after June 1st then he would not be able to walk until 2014.

Delmon Young was right when he stated that --- and I'm paraphrasing --- that every young player wants to get the clock started so that in 6 years he could get away from them.
He only has to be in the minors for a few weeks for the Rays to get that extra Arb year in 2014. I expect him to be up before the end of April.

I was pissed about Chase Headley on San Diego as well...he was hitting over .350 and leading the team in HR's in the spring(5), and he gets sent down when they have two OF's that are currently hurt.

FedEx227
03-25-2008, 10:27 AM
He only has to be in the minors for a few weeks for the Rays to get that extra Arb year in 2014. I expect him to be up before the end of April.

I was pissed about Chase Headley on San Diego as well...he was hitting over .350 and leading the team in HR's in the spring(5), and he gets sent down when they have two OF's that are currently hurt.

That one is odd because by all rights he should be their starting LF.