PDA

View Full Version : Twins Sign Nathan

TwinKess
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Possibly around 11 mil/yr.

We spend 11 for Nathan and we wont spend 26 for Santana?

...:angry:

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/neal/2008/03/24/twins-extend-nathan-through-2011/

munchman33
03-24-2008, 02:43 PM

http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/neal/2008/03/24/twins-extend-nathan-through-2011/

I don't understand the anger. They were both at or near the top of their position. Nathan took a huge pay cut from what he could be making. Rivera got 15 per at his age. Nathan could have got a crazy deal.

TwinKess
03-24-2008, 02:45 PM
It's really just venting of frustration as a Twins fan, constantly losing talent and being the "jr. varsity" team before players graduate to varsity.

munchman33
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
It's really just venting of frustration as a Twins fan, constantly losing talent and being the "jr. varsity" team before players graduate to varsity.

But you're complaining that you retained a guy. A guy that's very very good.

Tekijawa
03-24-2008, 02:53 PM
But you're complaining that you retained a guy. A guy that's very very good.
That isn't Santana... I think that's the complaint... why not cough up the extra money and lock one of the best pitchers, if not the best, for the long haul and lock up around 20 wins a year for at least the near future...

munchman33
03-24-2008, 02:56 PM
That isn't Santana... I think that's the complaint... why not cough up the extra money and lock one of the best pitchers, if not the best, for the long haul and lock up around 20 wins a year for at least the near future...

I can think of 15 million more reasons to chose Nathan as the guy to keep.

I don't think the Twins are in as dire straights as many here believe them to be. And while I think we're better than they are on paper, if their youngsters develop this year, we'll find ourselves chasing them too.

doublem23
03-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Dammit. I was hoping they would ship Nathan and enter a 2-3 year rebuilding phase.

This is a ferocious division. :o:

LoveYourSuit
03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Wow, doesn't that make him the highest paid player on that team (Morneu signed a big deal but is back loaded I think)?

The price of closers is getting ridiculous.

When is Bobby due for FA?

Foulke You
03-24-2008, 04:43 PM
I find this signing to be rather surprising. It seemed the next logical step was to trade Nathan. Damn...one of the best closers in the game stays in Minny. Perhaps this is a token effort from Twins ownership to show their fans that they aren't completely rebuilding this year?

munchman33
03-24-2008, 04:55 PM
I find this signing to be rather surprising. It seemed the next logical step was to trade Nathan. Damn...one of the best closers in the game stays in Minny. Perhaps this is a token effort from Twins ownership to show their fans that they aren't completely rebuilding this year?

Don't ever discount the Twins. We've been burned by that too many times.

oeo
03-24-2008, 04:57 PM

I find this signing to be rather stupid. Sure, Nathan has been good...but for a team that doesn't spend much money, putting $11 million into a 33-year-old relief pitcher is stupid.

DumpJerry
03-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Santana wanted out is my guess.

Foulke You
03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Don't ever discount the Twins. We've been burned by that too many times.
I never count the Twins out. Their scouting and player development has been among the best in baseball the past five years so they could always surprise. However, there is no denying that they are in more of a rebuild type mode now after dumping Santana and letting Carlos Silva and Torii Hunter leave via free agency. As oeo pointed out, $11 million per year for a 33 yr old closer is a curious move when you are only spending in the $60-$70 million range for payroll.

LoveYourSuit
03-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Lariano is still having velocity issues from what I heard, they were banking on him being Johan's replacement.

Not going to happen.

I will go out on a limb, I guess, and say that the Twins will not be good this years, regardless of great scouting/player development or not.

Just my opinion.

DumpJerry
03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Lariano is still having velocity issues from what I heard, they were banking on him being Johan's replacement.
Liriano had Tommy John because of the way he pitched. He can no longer pitch that way, so now he will have to learn all over again how to pitch and he won't be the same. He will have to be a Buehrle/Maddux style of pitcher.

spiffie
03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I never count the Twins out. Their scouting and player development has been among the best in baseball the past five years so they could always surprise. However, there is no denying that they are in more of a rebuild type mode now after dumping Santana and letting Carlos Silva and Torii Hunter leave via free agency. As oeo pointed out, $11 million per year for a 33 yr old closer is a curious move when you are only spending in the $60-$70 million range for payroll.
I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to keep him only as long as they are in contention, and if they have fallen off this year, ship him at the deadline. Some team will pay for a closer at that point.

Lip Man 1
03-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I wonder what the overall Twins philosophy will be now that the new stadium is going up.

Lip

Foulke You
03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I wonder what the overall Twins philosophy will be now that the new stadium is going up.

Lip
Their hitters are certainly going to need a new approach on real grass. No more relying on speedy players to fatten up on turf hits and infield choppers as we've seen in years past. It was really bad when they had that billiard felt covered concrete for turf. The new stuff has helped but there are still plenty of turf assisted hits in that park. I guess a lot will depend on wheter they plan on constructing a hitters park or a pitcher's park. I don't think they've made any plans on HR fence dimensions yet. One thing I do know, an outdoor Minnesota ballpark in April will not be a very nice place to hit.

TwinKess
03-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I hope they have decided on field demensions, because construction has been going on for months! It is virtually identical to the HumptyDome:

Metrodome:
Left Field - 343 ft
Left-Center - 385 ft
Center Field - 408 ft
Right-Center - 367 ft
Right Field - 327 ft

New Ballpark:
Left Field - 339 ft
Left-Center - 377 ft
Center Field - 404 ft
Right-Center - 367 ft.
Right Field - 328 ft.

ma-gaga
03-27-2008, 11:22 AM
I hope they have decided on field demensions, because construction has been going on for months!

mmm. webcam (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/ballpark/new_ballpark_webcam_full.jsp)

Scottiehaswheels
03-27-2008, 01:45 PM
What is that in the background? Cargill grain elevator or something else?

TwinKess
03-28-2008, 10:53 AM
That is the Hennepin County Energy Recovery Center, otherwise known as the garbage burner.

Nellie_Fox
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
I hope they have decided on field demensions, because construction has been going on for months! It is virtually identical to the HumptyDome:And I believe that they're going to make the right field fence the same height as the baggie in the Humpdome (20 feet??)