PDA

View Full Version : MLB on the radio ( not XM )

Fenway
03-24-2008, 06:59 AM
In Chicago there are still a handful of choices to hear other teams on radio.

stations that are easily heard

WGN 720 ( you know who )

WTMJ 620 Milwaukee (Brewers day and night )

rest can be heard after sundown

WTAM 1100 Indians
WLW 700 Reds
KOA 850 Rockies

1500 depends on which way the wind is blowing....
ould be either KSTP Twins or WWWT Washington

Best station to hear the Yankees is WHAM 1180 Rochester that comes into Chicago at night Can also try WCBS 880 but it is harder because of WLS

Mets can be heard on WFAN 660

1080 can give you either Rangers on KRLD or Red Sox on WTIC

johnr1note
03-24-2008, 09:48 AM
In the mid 70s, I also used to listen to a fair number of Detroit Tiger broadcasts and Texas Rangers broadcasts "after hours." I don't recall the frequency for the Tigers, but remember that for a time, the Rangers were on 820 AM. Whichever station owned 820 in Chicago was restricted to a sundown-end to their broadcast day, so Rangers night games were available. Also, KMOX, who did the Cardinals broadcasts for years, also could be heard in the evenings if the conditions were right.

At the same time, there were times when the White Sox radio affiliates weren't available in the south suburbs! :tongue:

Fenway
03-24-2008, 09:56 AM
In the mid 70s, I also used to listen to a fair number of Detroit Tiger broadcasts and Texas Rangers broadcasts "after hours." I don't recall the frequency for the Tigers, but remember that for a time, the Rangers were on 820 AM. Whichever station owned 820 in Chicago was restricted to a sundown-end to their broadcast day, so Rangers night games were available. Also, KMOX, who did the Cardinals broadcasts for years, also could be heard in the evenings if the conditions were right.

At the same time, there were times when the White Sox radio affiliates weren't available in the south suburbs! :tongue:

The Tigers moved off WJR to WXYT and there are parts of Detroit that have problems with the signal.

Oblong might now but did they leave WJR because of the fallout of Ernie Harwell being fired by the station?

Pirates moved to FM and Twins moved off WCCO. St Louis left KMOX and their new station has an awful night signal.

ksimpson14
04-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I didn't know many of these, just have heard the Brewers (and the Reds once by accident). Tonight I was surprised when I picked up the Rockies, clear as day. Thought it was the Stl broadcast at first, but nope, the Colorado feed. Will have to test these out when not driving in the car with XM.

Do you know these by experience, or look at some chart with how far the signal goes?

Fenway
04-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I didn't know many of these, just have heard the Brewers (and the Reds once by accident). Tonight I was surprised when I picked up the Rockies, clear as day. Thought it was the Stl broadcast at first, but nope, the Colorado feed. Will have to test these out when not driving in the car with XM.

Do you know these by experience, or look at some chart with how far the signal goes?

Many years in car radios taught me where to look :tongue:

Huisj
04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
The Tigers moved off WJR to WXYT and there are parts of Detroit that have problems with the signal.

Oblong might now but did they leave WJR because of the fallout of Ernie Harwell being fired by the station?

Pirates moved to FM and Twins moved off WCCO. St Louis left KMOX and their new station has an awful night signal.

Yeah, the Tigers do a network affiliate thing here now with no real powerful flagship station. The station they are on here in Lansing (730) has a crap signal after 8 pm, and there are times when I'm driving around town and can hardly pick it up in my car. Stupid.

I remember when I was little that if I'd go up north for a camping weekend with friends or family, I could always count on picking up KMOX on my walkman radio late at night to get baseball scores. It was about the only thing that came in clear at wilderness state park.

Fenway
04-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah, the Tigers do a network affiliate thing here now with no real powerful flagship station. The station they are on here in Lansing (730) has a crap signal after 8 pm, and there are times when I'm driving around town and can hardly pick it up in my car. Stupid.

I remember when I was little that if I'd go up north for a camping weekend with friends or family, I could always count on picking up KMOX on my walkman radio late at night to get baseball scores. It was about the only thing that came in clear at wilderness state park.

The Red Sox have never used the major blowtorch in Boston WBZ instead electing to use a powerful regional signal in the metroarea and about 60 other stations in New England....( the station in Hartford WTIC however is a clear channel )

If they had used WBZ they would not have a network at all as the the station can be heard in all 6 states clearly day and night.

ComiskeyBrewer
04-02-2008, 12:14 PM
In Chicago there are still a handful of choices to hear other teams on radio.

stations that are easily heard

WGN 720 ( you know who )

WTMJ 620 Milwaukee (Brewers day and night )

rest can be heard after sundown

WTAM 1100 Indians
WLW 700 Reds
KOA 850 Rockies

1500 depends on which way the wind is blowing....
ould be either KSTP Twins or WWWT Washington

Best station to hear the Yankees is WHAM 1180 Rochester that comes into Chicago at night Can also try WCBS 880 but it is harder because of WLS

Mets can be heard on WFAN 660

1080 can give you either Rangers on KRLD or Red Sox on WTIC

Fen, that's an awesome list. I live about 2.5 hours NW of Chicago, so i'm not sure which stations i can get, anyway for me to check online or something?

Fenway
04-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Fen, that's an awesome list. I live about 2.5 hours NW of Chicago, so i'm not sure which stations i can get, anyway for me to check online or something?
Just play with your AM radio at night and tune near the numbers given.....you will know when you find baseball :D:

ComiskeyBrewer
04-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Just play with your AM radio at night and tune near the numbers given.....you will know when you find baseball :D:

Simplest way is always the best. Thanks Fenway.

HomeFish
04-02-2008, 06:23 PM
I remember reading something at WSI about a small town in the middle of West Virginia that was full of White Sox fans, since they got our station and nobody else's because of some strange effect with the surrounding mountains.