PDA

View Full Version : WBC 2009 Details

dakuda
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I am bored, so I listened to the press conference. Forgive my spelling on some of the names. I was typing while they were talking.

1st Round Teams:
Pool A - China, Chinese Taipei, Japan, Korea. March 5 - 9
Pool B - Australia, Cuba, Mexico, South Africa. March 8 - 12
Pool C - Canada, Italy, USA, Venezuela. March 8 - 12
Pool D - Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Panama, Puerto Rico. March 8 - 11

1st Round Locations:
Pool A - Tokyo Dome; Tokyo, Japan
Pool B - Foro Sol Stadium, Mexico City, Mexico
Pool C - Rogers Centre; Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Pool D - Hiram Bithorn Stadium; San Juan, Puerto Rico

Format Changes:
Double Elimination in the first two rounds instead of Round Robin. No tiebreakers based on runs scored or records against.

Crossover in the Final Four Round among brackets. Out of the second round into the final four, the winner of one pool will play the runner up of another pool.

ksimpson14
03-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Nice, I have been thinking about this lately, wondering when details would come. Never been to Toronto before, hmmm, possible road trip

I want Mags back
03-23-2008, 09:00 PM
it seems Israel failed to qualify:whiner:

Madvora
03-23-2008, 10:35 PM
The last time this came around, people attacked this idea like they had some personal vendetta against it. I don't understand where all the hate was coming from, it's just more baseball to watch. Let's please not turn this thread into that again.
I really enjoyed this last time and I'm going to love this one too. I can't wait.

As for the tournament... interesting to see that there are no games in the US this time, well at least first round stuff.
I think they needed a format change because Korea got screwed last time. They beat Japan 2 out of 3 times, but they didn't advance because Japan won the elimination game in the brackets.

minastirith67
03-23-2008, 10:56 PM

Haha, like your sig.

I want Mags back
03-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Haha, like your sig.

:rolleyes:

I dont even know if they had an official qualification, but I know that Israel was going to try to get a team of Jewish players together

WhiteSox5187
03-23-2008, 11:42 PM
:rolleyes:

I dont even know if they had an official qualification, but I know that Israel was going to try to get a team of Jewish players together
You know since South Africa has a team and the Italian players are really guys who weren't invited on the US team and are second, third, fourth generation Italians, seeing as how that's the case, I think Israel ought to have a team in competition, as should Ireland (just watched the "Emerald Diamond"), of course I don't think either Ireland or Israel would have much of a chance to win it, but it'd be cool to have them there. They'd be as good as the Netherlands I'm sure (the only player from the Netherland I can think of is Sidney Ponson), or at least have as much of a shot.

03-24-2008, 12:24 AM
There should be some games in the U.S.

San Diego would be nice! :D:

I want Mags back
03-24-2008, 09:48 AM
You know since South Africa has a team and the Italian players are really guys who weren't invited on the US team and are second, third, fourth generation Italians, seeing as how that's the case, I think Israel ought to have a team in competition, as should Ireland (just watched the "Emerald Diamond"), of course I don't think either Ireland or Israel would have much of a chance to win it, but it'd be cool to have them there. They'd be as good as the Netherlands I'm sure (the only player from the Netherland I can think of is Sidney Ponson), or at least have as much of a shot.

yea well what I read today is that they decided to use the same 16 teams as before, but are shooting to have 24 teams with qualifying for '13. Plus Israel has "the right to return" so jewish players could be granted citizenship by the state of Israel without a problem before competing

btw Mark Mulder is also on the Netherlands

Fenway
03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
--China, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan will play in Group A at the Tokyo Dome from March 5-9.

--Australia, Cuba, Mexico and South Africa will play in Group B at Mexico City's Foro Sol Stadium from March 8-12.

--Canada, Italy, United States and Venezuela will play in Group C at Toronto's Rogers Centre from March 8-12.

--Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Panama and Puerto Rico will play in Group D at San Juan's Hiram Bithorn Stadium from March 7-11.

dakuda
03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Where were you yesterday?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98944

Fenway
03-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Where were you yesterday?

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98944

I don't even know what day it is....I think it is Tuesday morning now :tongue:

dakuda
03-24-2008, 11:26 AM

I think that they said the later rounds would be in San Diego.

whitem0nkey
03-24-2008, 11:27 AM

San Diego's PETCO Park seems to be set for the second round and Dodger Stadium has the inside track for the semifinals and finals.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080323&content_id=2452760&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Fenway
03-24-2008, 11:33 AM

blame this guy
http://www.israelbaseballleague.com/about/iblexecutive/index.html?staff_id=2

getonbckthr
03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Well for the Jewish team:
C- Mike Lieberthal
1B- Kevin Youkilis
2B- Dave Newhan
SS-
3B- Ryan Braun
LF- Shawn Green
CF- Dave Roberts
RF-
P- Scott Schoenweis, Jason Marquis, John Grabow, Matt Ford

I want Mags back
03-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Well for the Jewish team:
C- Mike Lieberthal
1B- Kevin Youkilis
2B- Dave Newhan
SS-
3B- Ryan Braun
LF- Shawn Green
CF- Dave Roberts
RF-
P- Scott Schoenweis, Jason Marquis, John Grabow, Matt Ford

others
C-Brad Ausmus
2B - Ian Kinsler
OF- Gabe Kapler, Adam Stern
other pitchers - Scott Feldman, Jason Hirsh, Craig Breslow,

ksimpson14
03-24-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't even know what day it is....I think it is Tuesday morning now :tongue:

Tuesday morning ey, who won the season opener? You'll be helping some people in Vegas :redneck

russ99
03-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh, great. Bud's doing another World Baseball Craptacular?

What, is he running short of cash?