PDA

View Full Version : First Game at Washington New Ballpark

DoItForDanPasqua
03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
A college baseball game was played at the Nationals' new ballpark. Here's a link to pictures from the game. It looks pretty nice, but I wonder if they are going to switch to green seats in a few years.

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/2008/03/22/the-inaugural-event-at-dcs-brand-new-nationals-park-lots-of-pics/

DoItForDanPasqua
03-23-2008, 08:42 PM
If the mods can change the title to "First Game at Washington's New Ballpark," I promise to never start a thread about politics, Aaron Rowand, or attendance.

Daver
03-23-2008, 08:54 PM
If the mods can change the title to "First Game at Washington's New Ballpark," I promise to never start a thread about politics, Aaron Rowand, or attendance.

Not a chance.

eriqjaffe
03-23-2008, 10:04 PM
This, by far, is the best picture of the bunch.

http://images.berecruited.com/sportswrap/uploads/nationals-dc/IMG_0895.jpg

Knowing what I do about TR, there's no way he'd let himself lose in a footrace against Lincoln. :twocents:

LoveYourSuit
03-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Looks like a nice place to catch a game...when do our Sox go down there?

Red Barchetta
03-24-2008, 09:14 AM
A few comments; first it seems like the color of the green padding is a different shad than the painted green concourse. Second, the view from the LF patio looks very much like views from the deck at US Cellular. Third, do they have (gasp) outside walkway ramps similar the Cell? Finally, I still think the green seats look a lot better than any shade of blue. Not enough to make a difference whether I attended more game or not however.

In many ways, this ballpark looks earily close to that of Comiskey II about five years after it opened (Maybe it's the empty seats). Some of the seats down the line look further back than our original upper deck. Either way, proof again that most of the design problems with Comiskey II were fabricated by the "experts" in the Chicago media.

The Cell looks better and better each season. Hopefully the neighborhood will continue to develop around it.

DSpivack
03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
This, by far, is the best picture of the bunch.

Knowing what I do about TR, there's no way he'd let himself lose in a footrace against Lincoln. :twocents:

Teddy has never won the race. :rolleyes:

A college baseball game was played at the Nationals' new ballpark. Here's a link to pictures from the game. It looks pretty nice, but I wonder if they are going to switch to green seats in a few years.

http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/2008/03/22/the-inaugural-event-at-dcs-brand-new-nationals-park-lots-of-pics/

The seats will forever remain red (no white) and blue.

Brian26
03-24-2008, 07:12 PM
The pictures just don't knock my socks off. Doesn't it look too much like every other fake retro-style park that's been built in the past 15 years?

ksimpson14
03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
I like it but it's not something that makes me say 'ohhh, I have to go visit that!'. Maybe if I lived on the East Coast I would

Rockin Robin
03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah, it looks ok I guess. Nothing beats PNC though. I have to make it there sometime.

Elephant
03-24-2008, 09:06 PM

What the hell is up with WSI people and apostrophes? :?:

Anyway, to me this is an underwhelming new park. It has a similarly bland feel as Cincinnati, and the outfield layout is nearly identical to Anaheim, which is not the ideal park to pay tribute to (a Disneyed up former multi-purpose).

ksimpson14
03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
From that site's link, more pictures here http://www.jdland.com/dc/quickgallery.cfm?quickdate=080322-2 and here http://www.jdland.com/dc/quickgallery.cfm?quickdate=080322

I like what they did with the outside and the years, but another Build-A-Bear? And a jungle gym? Meh

DSpivack
03-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I don't see anything particularly wrong with it, but it doesn't seem a real exciting park. Parts of it remind me of USCF (open concourse), PetCo and Comerica (the weird upper deck split), Busch/PetCo/Citizens Bank (the 4 or so tiers of seating), Turner Field (the bar in the outfield, the center field entrance), Coors/Turner (the two tiers of seating in RF); it seems a hodge-podge of other parks, that gels together well, but just doesn't providing anything particularly unique or exciting. I do really like the outside design of glass and steel; no bricks to make it retro, but a design one sees around many, many buildings in DC.

I'm just excited about it because it's new and it's here.
I haven't yet been to Camden Yards, now that I am excited to see--The White Sox will be there in three weeks! :bandance:

EDIT: It'll also be nice when the cherry trees bloom just beyond the LF seats (not sure if they've been planted for this season, though).

roylestillman
03-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Maybe these pictures are not doing it justice, but I think the outside looks awful. Just a bunch of ramps with signs tacked on.

Scoreboard is sharp - almost looks photo-shopped.

russ99
03-25-2008, 09:52 AM
That left field area will look much nicer once the cherry trees bloom.

I don't especially like the parking garages right behind the walls, but from what I understand that's the only place they could put them, since parking is very sparse in that section of Washington.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-25-2008, 10:36 AM

When the cherry trees grow, will they have George Washington cut one down? :tongue:

DSpivack
03-25-2008, 03:28 PM

I don't especially like the parking garages right behind the walls, but from what I understand that's the only place they could put them, since parking is very sparse in that section of Washington.

There really wasn't much of anything around there, don't really see why they needed to put the garage in that specific location. Also, it's a small garage for the 'elite' ticket holders, only. There is no available on-site parking for most ticket holders, although there is a free shuttle (and currently free parking) from the RFK lots a few miles away.

Maybe these pictures are not doing it justice, but I think the outside looks awful. Just a bunch of ramps with signs tacked on.

Scoreboard is sharp - almost looks photo-shopped.

The inside looks like a lot of other new parks, but I'm glad the outside is not a rehash of brick and faux retro look that is common in so many other parks. It fits in well in DC. That said, the pictures do give it a kind of unfinished look, just a lot of bare concrete.

I_Liked_Manuel
03-25-2008, 04:50 PM
looks pretty bad, but anything is an improvement over rfk. i've never been more terrified in my life than when i was walking through that neighborhood by the navy yard stop at night a few years ago - it made detroit look nice.

DSpivack
03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
looks pretty bad, but anything is an improvement over rfk. i've never been more terrified in my life than when i was walking through that neighborhood by the navy yard stop at night a few years ago - it made detroit look nice.

What brought you there?

I_Liked_Manuel
03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
What brought you there?

a gentleman's club

Railsplitter
03-26-2008, 06:47 AM
http://images.berecruited.com/sportswrap/uploads/nationals-dc/IMG_0895.jpg

Knowing what I do about TR, there's no way he'd let himself lose in a footrace against Lincoln. :twocents:Since the Milwaukee races originally had foor types of sausage, I'm assuming this has the four MT Rushmore Presidents.

Law11
03-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Just by the pics this park seems to mirror the new Busch Stadium in its layout.
Not that thats a bad thing, just my take..

NDSox12
03-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Since the Milwaukee races originally had foor types of sausage, I'm assuming this has the four MT Rushmore Presidents.

You are correct, and like DSpivack said, Teddy has never won. He's a crowd favorite though.

DSpivack
03-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Since the Milwaukee races originally had foor types of sausage, I'm assuming this has the four MT Rushmore Presidents.

Does that mean we'll get a Mt Rushmore of sassage? Woo Hoo! :bandance: