PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Good At 15-7

SOXSINCE'70
04-25-2002, 08:57 PM
I know it's early,but it pays to get off to a good start.There are many tests awaiting our Soth Side Saviors,but they have aced part one.Now how do they do against the 2 best teams in the A.L.West?? This remains a question.You've got to like our chances of possibly taking 2 out of 3 with Ritchie and Beuhrle going in this series.But,permit me to ask some questions,as the narrator of the old "Batman" tv series used to do as part 1 of the show ended each week:

-"Will 'Choice' hit for average??"
-"Could Lofton be more of a team MVP??" :)
-"Will the 'Can't Miss Kids' make it through the Summer??"
-"What will Beuhrle and Ritchie look like in Sept.??"
And finally,
-"How long can this glorious offense last??"

"For the answer to these and other questions,tune in tomorrow.
Same Bat Time,
Same Bat Channel".

LONG LIVE THE SOUTH SIDE HITMEN!!"

RKMeibalane
04-25-2002, 09:56 PM
It's great to see the Sox getting back to what they did in 2000. Baseball is so much more fun when things are going well. You notice how the Cubs fans don't really say much anymore. I wonder why.

I hope this continues. If the Sox are healthy for the rest of the season, I don't see why good things won't continue to happen for this ballclub. It's nice to see the younger players maturing. Granted, some of them are still making mistakes characteristic of players their age, but they'll get over that sooner or later. I can't wait until May, when the Sox face the Yankees. I hope David Wells has to pitch at Comiskey. And I hope that Thomas takes him deep.

It's going to be an exciting summer on the Southside- where Chicago's REAL baseball team plays.

BackInBlack
04-26-2002, 01:08 AM
It's great to see the Sox getting back to what they did in 2000. Baseball is so much more fun when things are going well. You notice how the Cubs fans don't really say much anymore. I wonder why.

Ain't that the truth. When the season had just begun, I used to exchange a good dozen emails each day talking smack to all my Flubbie friends going back and forth argueing this and that and everything in between. I continue to send those sorry saps "Your Daily White Sox/Cubs Update," which basically shows the difference in quality between our two Chicago teams. But it's funny, they rarley respond these days. Hmmm... After every Cubs win, of course, I get an avalanche of emails declaring how the Cubs are *now* back on track. And they truely believe this! Right. Before the season ever began, I told them how "explosive" our offense would be. I was ridiculed time and time again. It was the Cubs who were supposed to swing the big bats, according to them. Now all I have to do is display a few simple stats and they get real quiet real fast.

And yeah, I hope that fat #@$% David Wells comes back to pitch in Chicago so our killah "Go-Go Hitmen" can knock his fat @$$ out of the game. What a dip #$%^, we trade quality prospects and invest a lot of money for him to take the beloved to the next level. Instead, his fat @$$ gets fatter, he talks smack, and disrupts the entire clubhouse... were injuries the only problem with last year's team? hellz NO. But a BIG part of the problem is thankfully gone (and when I say big, I mean H-U-G-E). He'll get his due. Bomb 'em.

bc2k
04-26-2002, 02:00 AM
Yeah if the Sox players want to knock David Wells around they should bunt on his ass all day. Do what the Cubs did to him last year. I'd like to see Lofton and Durham lay down a couple to open up the game.

Here's how I see it going down; Lofton bunt single, Durham bunts while Wells throws the ball away allowing Lofton to score. 1-0 Sox, Durham on second. Thomas watches the first two pitches go past him for strikes, then gets caught looking at a breaking ball for strike three on the outside corner because he is too far away from the plate to hit the outside strikes. One out. Maggs walks setting up the double play but Konerko adds to his major league leading rbi total with a three run shot. Valentin lays down another bunt, this one taking Wells out of the game because he tweaked his back. Wells' line; 1/3 of an inning, 4er, 0walks, 1K.

But I can't get on Wells too much. The guy is a real pitcher and he did help get rid of crybaby Sirotka.

FarWestChicago
04-26-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Thomas watches the first two pitches go past him for strikes, then gets caught looking at a breaking ball for strike three on the outside corner because he is too far away from the plate to hit the outside strikes.:whoflungpoo

RedPinStripes
04-26-2002, 02:20 AM
Yeah if the Sox players want to knock David Wells around they should bunt on his ass all day. Do what the Cubs did to him last year. I'd like to see Lofton and Durham lay down a couple to open up the game.

Here's how I see it going down; Lofton bunt single, Durham bunts while Wells throws the ball away allowing Lofton to score. 1-0 Sox, Durham on second. Thomas watches the first two pitches go past him for strikes, then gets caught looking at a breaking ball for strike three on the outside corner because he is too far away from the plate to hit the outside strikes. One out. Maggs walks setting up the double play but Konerko adds to his major league leading rbi total with a three run shot. Valentin lays down another bunt, this one taking Wells out of the game because he tweaked his back. Wells' line; 1/3 of an inning, 4er, 0walks, 1K.

But I can't get on Wells too much. The guy is a real pitcher and he did help get rid of crybaby Sirotka.

What in the hell are you talking about? Fatass wells is apitcher for the Yankmees and would still be a fatass for the sox and don't try telling me that he's a good fatass pitcher a 38. weight+ age = BAD!

And if you're going to bash Thomas, have some good logic. He has always stayed off the plate because he's 6-6 and 280 lbs. Want him to get on the plate so he can get jammed all day? He's not doing what he has done in the past, but he was out of baseball for a year. He's holds just about every sox record and you think he sucks? HA!

And yeah, I hope that fat #@$% David Wells comes back to pitch in Chicago so our killah "Go-Go Hitmen" can knock his fat @$$ out of the game. What a dip #$%^, we trade quality prospects and invest a lot of money for him to take the beloved to the next level. Instead, his fat @$$ gets fatter, he talks smack, and disrupts the entire clubhouse... were injuries the only problem with last year's team? hellz NO. But a BIG part of the problem is thankfully gone (and when I say big, I mean H-U-G-E). He'll get his due. Bomb 'em.

Hell yeah!!!!!!! :gulp:

bc2k
04-26-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:whoflungpoo

Stop pooping on my wife, Jessica Alba.

bc2k
04-26-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

What in the hell are you talking about? Fatass wells is apitcher for the Yankmees and would still be a fatass for the sox and don't try telling me that he's a good fatass pitcher a 38. weight+ age = BAD!

And if you're going to bash Thomas, have some good logic. He has always stayed off the plate because he's 6-6 and 280 lbs. Want him to get on the plate so he can get jammed all day? He's not doing what he has done in the past, but he was out of baseball for a year. He's holds just about every sox record and you think he sucks? HA!

Wells is past his prime now, I just like his mindset as a pitcher. I like the way he carrys himself on the field and off. I guess you could say he does a little too much of this :gulp: . I would take a little drinking over this :whiner: .

I once thought the same thing about Thomas. He has the height and wingspan to stand farther away from the plate and the weight to carry a longer bat. So it would make sense for a man with his body type to stand away to avoid getting jammed on the inside corner yet still be able to reach the outside corners with his wingspan and bat. But he still pops up the inside junk way too much and gets frozen on that outside corner, again way too much. Especially if the ump calls a wide plate. So what does that leave us with? A hitter who can't hit the inside or outside pitch with consistency. So the only thing he can hurt you with is a ball over the plate. With the name he has made for himself, not many pitchers are going to groove meatballs dead center.

What I propose is for Thomas to stand closer to the plate, but not on top of it. This may sound elementary, but I think with his makeup, being closer to the plate would allow him to turn on inside pitches and also be able to put some opposite field power on those outside pitches instead of just flicking at them for bloop singles. He's not a lead-off hitter. But maybe that wouldn't work for him either. Maybe he just doesn't have the bat speed for those inside pitches anymore so he has to stand off the plate. But I would like to see him do this before he tries another batting stance.

RedPinStripes
04-26-2002, 03:11 AM

Wells is past his prime now, I just like his mindset as a pitcher. I like the way he carrys himself on the field and off. I guess you could say he does a little too much of this :gulp: . I would take a little drinking over this :whiner: .

I once thought the same thing about Thomas. He has the height and wingspan to stand farther away from the plate and the weight to carry a longer bat. So it would make sense for a man with his body type to stand away to avoid getting jammed on the inside corner yet still be able to reach the outside corners with his wingspan and bat. But he still pops up the inside junk way too much and gets frozen on that outside corner, again way too much. Especially if the ump calls a wide plate. So what does that leave us with? A hitter who can't hit the inside or outside pitch with consistency. So the only thing he can hurt you with is a ball over the plate. With the name he has made for himself, not many pitchers are going to groove meatballs dead center.

What I propose is for Thomas to stand closer to the plate, but not on top of it. This may sound elementary, but I think with his makeup, being closer to the plate would allow him to turn on inside pitches and also be able to put some opposite field power on those outside pitches instead of just flicking at them for bloop singles. He's not a lead-off hitter. But maybe that wouldn't work for him either. Maybe he just doesn't have the bat speed for those inside pitches anymore so he has to stand off the plate. But I would like to see him do this before he tries another batting stance.

When a player pops-up like Thomas has been doing, that's a good indication that his timing is off and swung too late. I'm willing to bet you don't see half as many frank pop-ups and frozen outside corners in a month.

RedPinStripes
04-26-2002, 03:15 AM
Frank Thomas

Born: May 27, 1968
Baseball 1B

2-time AL MVP with Chicago (1993,94); 5-time All Star; first player in MLB history to hit .300, hit at least 20 home runs and have over 100 walks, RBIs and runs scored in seven straight seasons; has hit 40 home runs 4 times (1993,95,96,00); nicknamed “the Big Hurt.”

Yeah, we better dump this bum. He'll never adjust.

bc2k
04-26-2002, 03:53 AM
Frank Thomas

Born: May 27, 1968
Baseball 1B

2-time AL MVP with Chicago (1993,94); 5-time All Star; first player in MLB history to hit .300, hit at least 20 home runs and have over 100 walks, RBIs and runs scored in seven straight seasons; has hit 40 home runs 4 times (1993,95,96,00); nicknamed “the Big Hurt.”

Yeah, we better dump this bum. He'll never adjust.

I didn't know past greatness guaranteed today's success.

Ted Williams

Born: August 30, 1918
WEIGHT: 205 LBS.

DiMaggio, Cobb, Bench, Mantle, Carew, TED WILLIAMS. They all have had great careers, they're all mortal. Thomas has had a great career, but why assume he'll have an infinate one? Like all race horses, he's got to be put down sometime. I'm saying lets get rid of him while we can still get something for him. Come 2004-2006, I don't want a 10 million dollar per year automatic out who has no value in the field.

RedPinStripes
04-26-2002, 04:05 AM

I didn't know past greatness guaranteed today's success.

Ted Williams

Born: August 30, 1918
WEIGHT: 205 LBS.

DiMaggio, Cobb, Bench, Mantle, Carew, TED WILLIAMS. They all have had great careers, they're all mortal. Thomas has had a great career, but why assume he'll have an infinate one? Like all race horses, he's got to be put down sometime. I'm saying lets get rid of him while we can still get something for him. Come 2004-2006, I don't want a 10 million dollar per year automatic out who has no value in the field.

If you're trying to prove a point, you didn't succeed. One guy is on his death bed while the other one is almost 34 recovering from an injury. Did ted williams suck at 34?

NAME GP AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS SF SH OBP SLG OPS AVG

Frank Thomas 21 80 14 22 40 4 1 4 17 15 15 1 0 3 0 .384 .500 .884 .275

.275 ba. not great, but ok so far. .384 ob% . I'd say he's watching some bad pitches too.

bc2k
04-26-2002, 04:35 AM

If you're trying to prove a point, you didn't succeed. One guy is on his death bed while the other one is almost 34 recovering from an injury. Did ted williams suck at 34?

.275 ba. not great, but ok so far. .384 ob% . I'd say he's watching some bad pitches too.

Ted Williams was probably great at age 34.

Frank is leading the team in strikeouts, I wonder how many caught looking on the outside corner.

I thought I made a well thought-out, intelligent point. To repeat, my point was all great hitters can't play forever. Williams, as you said, is on his deathbed. Frank is far from his deathbed, but is definately not going to become a better hitter. His dominating window has shut, he is just another good player now. When will that good player window close? 2004? 2005? My point is to get rid of him before we get stuck with a 10 million dollar hitter who can't hit.

Many of us were upset with Clayton for not hitting last year and collecting 4.5 million. Now picture Thomas in 2005 draining twice the payroll as Royce, and being a DH not being able to provide gold glove type defense like Clayton did.

RedPinStripes
04-26-2002, 04:46 AM

Frank is leading the team in strikeouts, I wonder how many caught looking on the outside corner.

I thought I made a well thought-out, intelligent point. To repeat, my point was all great hitters can't play forever. Williams, as you said, is on his deathbed. Frank is far from his deathbed, but is definately not going to become a better hitter. His dominating window has shut, he is just another good player now. When will that good player window close? 2004? 2005? My point is to get rid of him before we get stuck with a 10 million dollar hitter who can't hit.

Many of us were upset with Clayton for not hitting last year and collecting 4.5 million. Now picture Thomas in 2005 draining twice the payroll as Royce, and being a DH not being able to provide gold glove type defense like Clayton did.

Clayton was never a good hitter to begin with and I guess you can tell barry Bonds you dont get any better at 38 too. 34 is not old. Look at lofton. As good as frank has done in the past, you think he's washed up at 34? Since BMR is the kinder gentleman now, I'll take his line. You need to go to more games, watch more games and pay attention to a good hitter through out his career. When did you become a sox fan anyway? Are you one of those who started watching the Sox a few years ago and really know **** about Thomas? I've been watching him since he came up and I know he's not done. Belive me, and every other member on this board. Frank will adjust. He'll still suck in your eyes though because he can't steal a base and he K's a lot and walks 100 times. Watch closly .His timing is still off. That would be a reason for the pop-ups as i said before. He sat out all of last year and beside that, he ALWAYS has a slow start. Why do you think Ray gets meat thrown at him now? Pitchers know they have to face Thomas next and don't want to walk ray. What does that tell you?

hold2dibber
04-26-2002, 09:11 AM

How can you possibly say, with any degree of confidence, that "his dominating window has shut, he is just another good player now"? His last full season he was absolutely lights out, arguably the best hitter in the league ("dominating" by any standard). And while he's off to somewhat of a slow start, if you project his numbers over 162 games, he'd still hit nearly .300 with over 30 HRs and over 100 RBIs. And it's clear that he's not hit his stride yet. We're 20 games into a 162 game season; to suggest that you can make any conclusive determination of whether or not Frank's dominating days are over yet is ludicrious. I've seen him in slumps much worse than he's in now in the midst of dominating seasons. In this day and age, 34 is still pretty young. I'm not saying that he definitely is still the same dominating Frank; I'm just saying that it is absurd to suggest that anyone can say that he is or is not still his old self at this early stage of the season.

Iwritecode
04-26-2002, 10:45 AM

Actually, Frank and Choice are tied for the team lead in K's. Although you forgot to mention that he leads the team in walks, 2nd in RBI's, tied for 2nd in HR's and 5th in runs. He is on pace for 100+ walks, RBI's and runs scored. His average is a little low but I'm sure that will go up once he gets his timing down. He missed most of last season and is a notoriously slow starter anyway. The biggest difference this year is that he doesn't have to carry the offense as much as in years past. The lineup is so potent 1-9 that the team can afford for him to take his time and get back to his old self again.

RKMeibalane
04-26-2002, 12:27 PM
If people think Frank Thomas is done, they need to have their eyes examined. He has gotten off to a bit of slow start, but that's normal for him. April is his slowest month. He usually has strong Mays, so I expect him to pick things up sooner or later. Let's also keep in mind that some of balls he's hit aren't carrying as much as they normally would because it's cold in Chicago, even now.

Frank's season lasted twenty games last year. I don't think anyone believes that was a typical Frank Thomas season. Anyone who judges a player's season based on what he did over a twenty game stretch is an idiot. The season is one eighth complete, and people are already spewing out garbage. I leave you with the following reminder: April doesn't mean anything. Yes, it's good to get off to a good start, but that's all it is in the real scheme of things. Thomas' numbers will go up once he gets going, and that will happen eventually.

voodoochile
04-26-2002, 12:49 PM
What happened to the debate about Frank being slow? He stole the base that b2ck wanted. Heck, he even hit a triple and it was to left-center. Recently he has had a couple of line drives to right field - so I guess he is starting to hit the outside pitches better too. He clearly can still pull the ball to left as that is where is home runs and triple all went.

b2ck, you crack me up...

You keep hammering the fat thing, but Frank has shown that isn't true (how many fat men steal bases and hit triples?). You say that he is washed up, but you don't have a shred of evidence to back it up, only your opinion - which isn't worth anything when it comes to Frank. You are clearly biased. Maybe you should recuse yourself from further discussions on the Big Hurt, you are merely proving your bias and damaging your own reputation. You clearly don't like the man, and sound like you are rooting against him just so you can be proven correct - give it up...

BTW, if ever I have wanted to see someone eat their words, it is you. I hope you will have the guts to come back in a few months and post an apology for the crap you have thrown Frank's way. If anyone on the White Sox deserves our loyalty and support, it would be him...

FarWestChicago
04-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
BTW, if ever I have wanted to see someone eat their words, it is you. I hope you will have the guts to come back in a few months and post an apology for the crap you have thrown Frank's way.Don't hold your breath, VC. If Frank won the Triple Crown, AL MVP and World Series MVP this guy would still be ripping on him. The only people I have ever seen with such an irrational hatred of Frank are Flubs fans.

moochpuppy
04-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
It's great to see the Sox getting back to what they did in 2000.

Sox after 22 games the last three years:

2000: 15-7 ( 2 games in front)

2001: 7-15 (9 games back)

2002: 15-7 (1 game in front)

Iwritecode
04-26-2002, 01:15 PM
Don't hold your breath, VC. If Frank won the Triple Crown, AL MVP and World Series MVP this guy would still be ripping on him. The only people I have ever seen with such an irrational hatred of Frank are Flubs fans.

If Frank won the World Series MVP I think this guy would be trampled in the celebrations first...

Iwritecode
04-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

Sox after 22 games the last three years:

2000: 15-7 ( 2 games in front)

2001: 7-15 (9 games back)

2002: 15-7 (1 game in front)

Wow, talk about de ja vu(sp?)

moochpuppy
04-26-2002, 01:23 PM

Ted Williams (http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/willite01.shtml)

He was injured the majority of the '52 and '53 season when he was 33 and 34 years of age. He came back and had 7 more very productive seasons.

Paulwny
04-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

Ted Williams (http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/willite01.shtml)

He was injured the majority of the '52 and '53 season when he was 33 and 34 years of age. He came back and had 7 more very productive seasons.

From the baseball library:

Williams was called up to active duty in the Korean War after six games in 1952 (with a .400 average); his service in two wars was unique for a star ballplayer. Typically, Williams left with a bang, homering off of Dizzy Trout in his final at-bat on Ted Williams Day at Fenway Park. Unlike many wartime ballplayers, who continued to play baseball for service teams while in uniform, Williams was a pilot and flew combat missions over Korea. Hit by small-arms fire during one run, Williams crash-landed his crippled jet and escaped from the flaming wreckage. Shortly thereafter he contracted pneumonia and was sent stateside after thirty-nine missions.

RedPinStripes
04-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Don't hold your breath, VC. If Frank won the Triple Crown, AL MVP and World Series MVP this guy would still be ripping on him. The only people I have ever seen with such an irrational hatred of Frank are Flubs fans.

Where's the tag for bc2k being shot down again?

well, here's one for now

:moron
"I hate frank as much as you do bc2k"

rmusacch
04-26-2002, 02:27 PM

Ted Williams at 34

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP

37 91 17 37 6 0 13 34 0 1 19 10 .407 .509 .901 82 0 0 1

Paulwny
04-26-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Ted Williams at 34

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP

37 91 17 37 6 0 13 34 0 1 19 10 .407 .509 .901 82 0 0 1

At age 34 Williams just got out of the military, that's the reason for the low number of games.

ode to veeck
04-26-2002, 02:44 PM

I'd pay Frank Thomas 5 times whatever Royce is shafting JR for anyday!!

Royce was an adaquate fielder last year, not a gold glove (nice drugs you've got there!)

We were upset with Royce not hitting AND not getting on base last eyar (OBP sucked too); Frank still will draw something like 100 more on base for the year than Clayton will (between a higher BA and about 5 times as many walks)

Needless to say, We're seeing a different Royce at the plate this spring, but he's moved up to the low end of adequate at the plate overall, though surprisingly good in the clutch (as noted by his key ribbies so far)

I take back what I said about nice drugs, anything that would make one think about trashing Frank's gotta be a nightmare - sounds pretty toxic to me

Bisco Stu
04-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Frank's the greatest player in franchise history. We're the 4th most winning team in baseball since he joined. He should retire with the Sox. Don't care what he's getting paid. Ain't my money.

CLR01
04-26-2002, 08:42 PM

Ummmm...how can DW escape wihout any walks if maggs takes a walk? Must be some of that fuzzy math.

Originally posted by voodoochile
BTW, if ever I have wanted to see someone eat their words, it is you. I hope you will have the guts to come back in a few months and post an apology for the crap you have thrown Frank's way. If anyone on the White Sox deserves our loyalty and support, it would be him...

Hey dont forget about me. :D:

Bmr31
04-26-2002, 08:44 PM

yeah, as you know west, im not a huge Frank Thomas fan, myself. Mostly because of personal traits. However, id be an idiot to not admit hes a great hitter.