PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Cabrera & Tigers agree to 8 year deal

Domeshot17
03-22-2008, 10:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3307289

Great, Johan goes for good but Cabrera is here to stay for 8 more years.

153 mil deal, pending a physical

Corlose 15
03-22-2008, 10:25 PM
I guess given the choice between the two I would prefer that Cabrera be in the division than Santana.

SaltyPretzel
03-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Hopefully, he'll weight in around 463 lbs. by the end of the contract.

santo=dorf
03-22-2008, 10:34 PM
So Detroit gave up all those prospects just to give out $153 million to one player! Man they got jobbed on that trade.

gobears1987
03-22-2008, 10:41 PM
There will really hurt them. Michigan's economy is in the ****ter and attendance is really going to drop in light of the recent ticket price increases. The Tigers have mortgaged their future.

santo=dorf
03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
There will really hurt them. Michigan's economy is in the ****ter and attendance is really going to drop in light of the recent ticket price increases. The Tigers have mortgaged their future.
Oh, so that explains the huge spike in ticket sales the day after the Marlins trade. :scratch::?:

He's a star player, and the owner isn't crying poor with income from his ****ty pizza change.

Sockinchisox
03-22-2008, 10:50 PM
The Tigers must have done a real good job of convincing him he won't be worth A-Rod money in the future...

Lip Man 1
03-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Wow, that's a lot of money.

Detroit has really upped their payroll the past few years. They are becoming positively Yankee-Red Sox like.

Lip

Sockinchisox
03-22-2008, 10:57 PM

Detroit has really upped their payroll the past few years. They are becoming positively Yankee-Red Sox like.

Lip

Cabrera actually sold himself cheap IMO.

Oblong
03-22-2008, 11:17 PM
So Detroit gave up all those prospects just to give out $153 million to one player! Man they got jobbed on that trade.

I've had to explain the teal feature to a bunch of Tiger fans discussing the trade. They linked to a bunch of non Tiger sites for reaction.

As for the deal... the risk for the Tigers is in 5 years he could be a fat DH. The risk for Cabrera is in 6 years he could still be on the fast track to the HOF and "only" making $19 million per year.

santo=dorf
03-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I've had to explain the teal feature to a bunch of Tiger fans discussing the trade. They linked to a bunch of non Tiger sites for reaction.

As for the deal... the risk for the Tigers is in 5 years he could be a fat DH. The risk for Cabrera is in 6 years he could still be on the fast track to the HOF and "only" making $19 million per year.
Thanks. :smile: I don't want them to think I am in the same padded wall boat as gobears1987. :cool: I think teal is an appropriate color for Tiger fans to use considering they made a great trade with the Marlins.

DSpivack
03-22-2008, 11:48 PM

Lip

What is their payroll--is it that much higher than ours?

pierzynski07
03-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Their's is about 125-130. Ours is about 110.

FloridaTigers
03-23-2008, 02:18 AM

:scratch:

Learn to economics.

Whats wrong if he becomes a fat DH? As long as he's belting out 30 HR's as a fat DH by the end of his contract, I'll be happy.

Nellie_Fox
03-23-2008, 02:25 AM
Whats wrong if he becomes a fat DH? As long as he's belting out 30 HR's as a fat DH by the end of his contract, I'll be happy.Because we all know that home runs are all that matters.

doublem23
03-23-2008, 04:34 AM
Just as long as they don't up the price of a Hot-N-Ready pizza.

kittle42
03-23-2008, 12:18 PM
It would be nice to see a similar story about the Sox someday.

fquaye149
03-23-2008, 01:50 PM
8 years is a long time.

That said 19 million is cheap. CHEAP.

MiamiSpartan
03-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh, so that explains the huge spike in ticket sales the day after the Marlins trade. :scratch::?:

He's a star player, and the owner isn't crying poor with income from his ****ty pizza change.

I agree. He's a player I wish the Sox had done more to pick up....Weight's been an issue, but he always still manages to produce big numbers, and produce in the clutch...

SoxNation05
03-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Good move it will help their lineup and their concession sales.

goon
03-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Ahhh, I was holding out hope that he would sign with the Sox if he became a free agent in the next two years.

Sockinchisox
03-23-2008, 03:20 PM
It's a 7 year deal, not 8.

http://blog.mlive.com/tigersinsider/2008/03/cabreras_contract_its_actually.html

LoveYourSuit
03-23-2008, 03:56 PM
That's a real good contract for an AL team, not a NL team.

The DH rule will save the Tigers on this one

Slats
03-23-2008, 04:10 PM
The Tigers can sign all the big contracts... but one thing will never change.
Your players will have to live in Detroit. The armpit of America.
That'll drop your batting average at least 20 points. (or more) :redneck

cws05champ
03-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah...look at what it did for Ordonez. :D:

fquaye149
03-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah...look at what it did for Ordonez. :D:

he lost some power!

twentywontowin
03-23-2008, 10:27 PM
This is what happens when you have Richards High School alumni calling the shots. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
03-24-2008, 01:50 AM
That'll drop your batting average at least 20 points. (or more) :redneckI don't think they've instituted a residency requirement. He can live in the suburbs.

DumpJerry
03-24-2008, 02:21 AM
I don't think they've instituted a residency requirement. He can live in the suburbs.
....and if you've never been to Bloomfield Hills, you don't know what you're missing. That place makes Beverly Hills, CA look like Ford Heights, IL. Wealthiest suburb in the country.

TDog
03-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Cabrera actually sold himself cheap IMO.

Really? If you give this kind of contract to a player who is fighting a weight problem at the age of 24, you better hope he has the character to work ever year like it's a contract year. he no longer has a future contract to play for, and he is moving to a new league. I expect him to regress.

Oblong
03-24-2008, 07:56 AM
....and if you've never been to Bloomfield Hills, you don't know what you're missing. That place makes Beverly Hills, CA look like Ford Heights, IL. Wealthiest suburb in the country.

Carlos Guillen and Magglio live in Birmingham, MI which is one of the wealthiest communities in the country. I wouldn't be surprised if Miguel will live near his fellow countrymen. The only guys I know that have lived in Detroit have been young rookies who've lived in hotel rooms near the stadium or apartments on the river. In fact, when Juan Gonzalez was traded here one of the local radio stations asked him if he'd get a house or apartment and he said, in broken english, "oh, apartment. Apartment!" as in "I don't plan on being here too long".

Dearborn has two nice apartment/condo complexes that cater to travelling businessmen who require furnished places for less than a year, many of the players stay there. Those with families go to places like bloomfield or Birmingham.

The lack of Detroit nightlife has been cited as one of the reasons Carlos Guillen's taken off when coming here. In Seattle he had a reputation as enjoying the clubs and bars. No such problems here unless you want to drive around.

Scottiehaswheels
03-24-2008, 08:17 AM
I just hope Ozzie starts telling him he's looking really skinny real soon.... lol

FloridaTigers
03-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Really? If you give this kind of contract to a player who is fighting a weight problem at the age of 24, you better hope he has the character to work ever year like it's a contract year. he no longer has a future contract to play for, and he is moving to a new league. I expect him to regress.

This is also a kid whose numbers are comparable to Hank Aaron at age 24. The risk? He becomes a fatty DH. Ortiz-like. Reward? Hall of Famer. A hitter is a hitter, how can you expect him to regress? Especially since a few elite pitchers moved to the NL this season? How do you know he has no reason to play for? He's going to want to prove himself, establish himself in the AL.

kittle42
03-24-2008, 04:16 PM
This is also a kid whose numbers are comparable to Hank Aaron at age 24. The risk? He becomes a fatty DH. Ortiz-like. Reward? Hall of Famer. A hitter is a hitter, how can you expect him to regress? Especially since a few elite pitchers moved to the NL this season? How do you know he has no reason to play for? He's going to want to prove himself, establish himself in the AL.

Eh, some here just like to justify to themselves why the Sox never hand out long-term contracts. :smile:

hi im skot
03-24-2008, 05:06 PM

C'mon...we all know New Jersey is the armpit of America.

TDog
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM

Dimitri Young was a "fatty DH" for the Tigers and Hank Aaron had to earn his pay every year. So did Ted Williams, for that matter.

Everything depends on Cabrera's work ethic. Many big-money free agents don't produce what they did before they signed the big contract. Aaron had a lot more to play for than Cabrera does.

Soxfest
03-24-2008, 08:29 PM
JR would not have paid him this much anyway!:scratch:

Oblong
03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Dimitri Young was a "fatty DH" for the Tigers and Hank Aaron had to earn his pay every year. So did Ted Williams, for that matter.

Everything depends on Cabrera's work ethic. Many big-money free agents don't produce what they did before they signed the big contract. Aaron had a lot more to play for than Cabrera does.

Cabrera hasn't reached FA yet. The point is, one big reason why many big money free agents don't appear to live up to their contract terms is that they hit free agency right at their prime. They are at, or very close to their peak and some idiot owner gives them a 5-6 year deal then acts shocked when in years 3-5 they are not performing at the same level. This won't be the last big deal that Cabrera will sign. He'll be 32 or 33 at the end of it and there's room for another 4-5 year contract in his career. He'll have $100 million reasons to stay in shape.

One thing with the conditioning is consider who his teammates were in Florida. He was among the veterans and leaders. Players learn their habits from their teammates. When he's out with the boys on the road if he sees that nobody else is ordering the basket of fries and cheeseburgers because they have to stay fit then he'll understand that an MLB player has to be conscious of all of that.

TDog
03-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Cabrera hasn't reached FA yet. The point is, one big reason why many big money free agents don't appear to live up to their contract terms is that they hit free agency right at their prime. They are at, or very close to their peak and some idiot owner gives them a 5-6 year deal then acts shocked when in years 3-5 they are not performing at the same level. This won't be the last big deal that Cabrera will sign. He'll be 32 or 33 at the end of it and there's room for another 4-5 year contract in his career. He'll have $100 million reasons to stay in shape.

One thing with the conditioning is consider who his teammates were in Florida. He was among the veterans and leaders. Players learn their habits from their teammates. When he's out with the boys on the road if he sees that nobody else is ordering the basket of fries and cheeseburgers because they have to stay fit then he'll understand that an MLB player has to be conscious of all of that.

It isn't just players past their primes who regress when they sign for big money. Players rarely live up to huge longterm contracts. Alex Rodriguez may be an exception, but his contract situation since signing with Texas has been a joke, with the punchline being that he went to a team that has won far more World Series than any other franchise but still has no World Series ring.

You don't know what money will do to people, even if you have been on the road with the Tigers to see they aren't eating junk food.

If you have a player that you have developed, who the coaching staff knows well, you have a better idea if he has the character to play under a longterm contract. History has shown that signing players who have never played for your city to longterm contracts is not a smart move.

If the White Sox had traded for and then signed Cabrera to the Tigers contract, it would universally be hailed a stupid move, and I would be agreeing with those detractors.

Oblong
03-25-2008, 02:29 PM
What has ARod not done to help his teams win? As for the hometown angle, Dombrowski and his top assistant, Al Avila, were the ones who scouted and drafted him at the age of 15. Many of the scouts and staff in the Tiger system were there in Florida's system when he was developing. So they know him.

When a player doesn't perform to his contract terms you can't just assume that it's because of the money. Most of these guys have a lot of money already. It's because the owners overpaid and their expectations are too high and the fans often view a player's expected performance due to their contract.

For example, I think Torii Hunter's going to be a bust. But it's not because he signed a huge contract, it's because I dont' think he's as good as he used to be.

Who are some of these busts who go in the tank once they get the money? Let's evaluate them.

TDog
03-26-2008, 03:26 PM

Who are some of these busts who go in the tank once they get the money? Let's evaluate them.

If you can't think of any, you don't pay much attention to baseball.

Your enthusiasm for big money, long-term deals might be tempered when you consider that Alex Rodriguez was signed by the Rangers and Gary Sheffield was signed by the Yankees.

Oblong
03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
You are the one who said they exist, not me. I think the whole "play big in a contract year/fail after the big money" thing is largely a myth. Yes it happens but there's also times when it doesn't happen. And it happens regardless of contract. That's baseball.

I don't understand your second point.

TDog
03-26-2008, 05:35 PM
You are the one who said they exist, not me. I think the whole "play big in a contract year/fail after the big money" thing is largely a myth. Yes it happens but there's also times when it doesn't happen. And it happens regardless of contract. That's baseball.

I don't understand your second point.

It is rare that signing a player to a long-term contract for big money helps a team. That was true, in relative terms, when the Yankees signed Rawley Eastwick. That was true with Jose Canseco. That was true with Gary Sheffield. That was true with Kevin Brown. To a lesser extent, it wasn't true with Mark Prior and Kerry Wood, and it continues to be true.

The best way to get the most productivity out of a player is to sign him to one-year contracts with a reserve clause that essentially binds him to a team as long as the team wants him. That system hasn't existed in more than 30 years because it cheated the players. A system where long-term contracts are necessary to sign players with the promise to be great usually cheats the owners and often cheats the fans. The only thing that it has in its favor is that is superior to the old system.

Oblong
03-26-2008, 06:25 PM
It is rare that signing a player to a long-term contract for big money helps a team. That was true, in relative terms, when the Yankees signed Rawley Eastwick. That was true with Jose Canseco. That was true with Gary Sheffield. That was true with Kevin Brown. To a lesser extent, it wasn't true with Mark Prior and Kerry Wood, and it continues to be true.

The best way to get the most productivity out of a player is to sign him to one-year contracts with a reserve clause that essentially binds him to a team as long as the team wants him. That system hasn't existed in more than 30 years because it cheated the players. A system where long-term contracts are necessary to sign players with the promise to be great usually cheats the owners and often cheats the fans. The only thing that it has in its favor is that is superior to the old system.

If it cheats the owners then why do they continue to do it? Are you saying that Albert Pujols and Alex Rodriguez would be more productive if they had one year contracts? Magglio Ordonez signed a ridiculous contract and had a career year 3 years into it. How is that possible?

Manny Ramirez seems to have helped Boston. They won 2 world series titles with him. Vlad Guerrero with Anaheim? He's not helping them? Carlos Beltran?

Are you seriously suggesting that a player with a big contract plays different if he's traded or signs the deal with his original team? That they only "bust" when it's a free agent going to a new team? The Tigers traded for Cabrera then signed him to an extension. How does that change things as opposed to just trading for a guy mid contract or signing your own guy you drafted? Would Cabrera play better if he was still in Florida and not dealt? Did Paul Konerko bust when he got his big deal?

I don't think for a second that contracts determine or influence how a guy will play. They're either good or bad. Some get lucky and get good at the right time and some get lucky because an idiot owner overvalues them.

TDog
03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't think for a second that contracts determine or influence how a guy will play. They're either good or bad. Some get lucky and get good at the right time and some get lucky because an idiot owner overvalues them.

That is why you are wrong.

Oblong
03-26-2008, 11:26 PM
based on what? You've still not shown me these players who tank after signing the big contract. I'm not saying they don't exist but it's because they just weren't that good to begin with.

It's a nice theory but without evidence to base the conclusion on then it's just that, a theory.

Why is Alex Rodriguez still the best player in the game after making $170 million in his career? Surely he'd have mailed it in by now.

Here's (http://sportsline.com/mlb/salaries/top50) the top 50 single season salaries from 2007. I'll pick one at random. JD Drew. Ok. He's not worth it. But find anyone outside of Boston's front office who thought it was a good signing.

TDog
03-27-2008, 01:53 AM
based on what? You've still not shown me these players who tank after signing the big contract. I'm not saying they don't exist but it's because they just weren't that good to begin with.

It's a nice theory but without evidence to base the conclusion on then it's just that, a theory.

Why is Alex Rodriguez still the best player in the game after making $170 million in his career? Surely he'd have mailed it in by now.

Here's (http://sportsline.com/mlb/salaries/top50) the top 50 single season salaries from 2007. I'll pick one at random. JD Drew. Ok. He's not worth it. But find anyone outside of Boston's front office who thought it was a good signing.

If you argument is that it is smart to sign a player to a five, six, seven or eight year contract and guaranteeing him more than $100 million whether or not he stays in shape -- whether or not hie is physically unable to play due to injury or neglect of physical conditioning, you lose. My argument is that it is not smart to sign anyone to such a contract. Baseball history is on my side. Just the exploits of the Yankees in this century support my argument.

If you think the Cabrera contract was the Tigers' first choice in their dealings with their new star player, you simply aren't equipped to participate in this argument.

Oblong
03-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Just the exploits of the Yankees in this century support my argument.

You mean it hasn't been good for the team that's made the playoffs 13 years in a row, won 10 divisional titles, 4 world titles, and 6 pennants, along with building a new billion dollar stadium with $2500 seats? It hasn't been good for them? Ok.

TDog
03-27-2008, 02:52 PM
You mean it hasn't been good for the team that's made the playoffs 13 years in a row, won 10 divisional titles, 4 world titles, and 6 pennants, along with building a new billion dollar stadium with $2500 seats? It hasn't been good for them? Ok.

No, it hasn't. In this century, a major reason the Yankees haven't won the World Series in this decade is big contracts. A few years ago it was to middle relievers, which was deemed a need. The Yankees have enough money because of their market, legacy etc. to spend more money to make up for the mistakes with big contracts. They not only sign free agents, but take on other teams' expensive mistakes. (Maybe Cabrera will be playing in a Yankees' uniform by the end of the decade. Rangers fans, after all, didn't expect to see Alex Rodriguez in pinstripes.) I've never broken it down, but how do the Yankees' revenues from broadcasting a single game compare to Tampa Bay's entire payroll.

Yet, even the revenues the team produces, they haven't been able to buy the team that management wants. Last season the Yankees finished in second place. I can see how just making the postseason would be impressive to a Tigers fan, considering the Tigers haven't even finished first since 1987. I would be impressed if the White Sox made the postseason every year. But Yankees fans and management are frustrated and spending money often only makes it harder to fill the holes that the spending was supposed to fill.

My original point was that I don't belieave Cabrera was cheap. The Tigers are taking a huge risk by signing him, especially considering he has never played a season for the Tigers. Cabrera's risk is that had he waited to become a free agent, he could have made a few million dollars more. He would be gambling that he doesn't suffer an injury, that outside factors don't affect his production or that there isn't some sort of market correction.

Giving a player a big contract won't make him play better or even as well as he did when he was still hungry for the big contract. Some players are worth the long-term money. Many are not.

EndemicSox
03-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Lets just move on, in all likelyhood, Miggy is going to be a serious pain in the White Sox's rear end for the next decade...

I wish his relationship with the Guillen family was enough to get him, but alas, it wasn't meant to be...money talks...

FloridaTigers
03-27-2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2008/03/more_evidence_cabreras_worth_t.html

Thats an astounding list. Miguel Cabrera simply won't fizzle out because he won't be playing for a contract. You don't know him. You don't know what drives him.