PDA

View Full Version : Trolley Service to Comiskey Park?

34thStreet
04-25-2002, 07:50 PM

I think a unique way to bring more fans into Comiskey Park would be to have the White Sox provide a free trolley service - running from the train stations (Union, Ogilvie/Metra and 18th St. Metra) to the park. Imagine White Sox Express Trolleys - a fun, easy and safe way to get to Comiskey and back to your train.

The free trolleys from Chicago Trolley Company (ideally located about a mile from Comiskey, by the way) have been an overwhelming success in transporting suburbanites from the train stations to the Museum Campus, Michigan Ave/State St. and Navy Pier.

In fact last year, the Chicago Cubs utilized Pace buses to transport 3,000 fans between Wrigley and Schaumburg's Northwest Transportation Center for all home games, day or night ( Source: Metro Commuter, April 2002). They call it the "Cub Roundtripper".

Attending a ballgame nowdays has become an expensive outing - the gas, tolls, traffic (back & forth), parking, tickets, food and drinks; ugh! I think White Sox Express Trolley service would eliminate a lot of hassle and make the outing even more enjoyable. I think fans would spend more money at the park if they didn't have to pay for gas, tolls and parking. Plus it would just be a lot of old fashioned fun!

What do you think?

Would you or any Sox fans you know use this service if it was provided?

nut_stock
04-25-2002, 07:58 PM
I think that's a great idea!

It would also be nice if the metra would add a stop next to Comiskey Park (it runs right by it).

doublem23
04-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I think that's a great idea!

It would also be nice if the metra would add a stop next to Comiskey Park (it runs right by it).

Yeah, I know... Luckily, I live right by the Jeff Park station on the Blue Line, so I can take the CTA to Comiskey, but Metra really needs to add a stop near the park.

MarqSox
04-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by 34thStreet

What do you think?

Why do I feel like I'm in a focus group right now?

doublem23
04-25-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

He's on to us!

Iwritecode
04-25-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 34thStreet

I think a unique way to bring more fans into Comiskey Park would be to have the White Sox provide a free trolley service - running from the train stations (Union, Ogilvie/Metra and 18th St. Metra) to the park. Imagine White Sox Express Trolleys - a fun, easy and safe way to get to Comiskey and back to your train.

The free trolleys from Chicago Trolley Company (ideally located about a mile from Comiskey, by the way) have been an overwhelming success in transporting suburbanites from the train stations to the Museum Campus, Michigan Ave/State St. and Navy Pier.

In fact last year, the Chicago Cubs utilized Pace buses to transport 3,000 fans between Wrigley and Schaumburg's Northwest Transportation Center for all home games, day or night ( Source: Metro Commuter, April 2002). They call it the "Cub Roundtripper".

Attending a ballgame nowdays has become an expensive outing - the gas, tolls, traffic (back & forth), parking, tickets, food and drinks; ugh! I think White Sox Express Trolley service would eliminate a lot of hassle and make the outing even more enjoyable. I think fans would spend more money at the park if they didn't have to pay for gas, tolls and parking. Plus it would just be a lot of old fashioned fun!

What do you think?

I would use it but I don't think they'll make it to my house... :(:

You basically hit the biggest reasons I am unable to go more often: gas, tolls and parking. Time is the other factor. Plus, they want to raise the tolls up to 95 cents now? :angry:

Streets
04-26-2002, 01:18 AM
It'd be nice if somehow the Southshore Line could connect somewhere nearby comiskey. I don't have to pay tolls to drive it's the $13 parking everytime that gets me, and of course the dan ryan traffic.

RedPinStripes
04-26-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Streets
It'd be nice if somehow the Southshore Line could connect somewhere nearby comiskey. I don't have to pay tolls to drive it's the $13 parking everytime that gets me, and of course the dan ryan traffic.

Dan Ryan? No way dude! Not sure where you're coming from, but get to know the side streets of Bridgeport and I-55. The dan Ryan is a nightmare.

Streets
04-26-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Dan Ryan? No way dude! Not sure where you're coming from, but get to know the side streets of Bridgeport and I-55. The dan Ryan is a nightmare.

I'm coming from just across the Illinois border(lansing, cal city) I hop on 80/94 and catch the ryan to the ballpark.

RedPinStripes
04-26-2002, 01:39 AM

I'm coming from just across the Illinois border(lansing, cal city) I hop on 80/94 and catch the ryan to the ballpark.

I don't know that area well, but it sounds like the opposite direction that i was talking about. lol

34thStreet
04-26-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

That's funny! I thought that's how it sounded when I was composing the original posting!

No, no focus group here, but the Sox should have one for something like this concept. Here's the background of why I posted:

I live and own property in Bridgeport (former north sider, by the way). I go to a lot of Sox games and see where people park and how they get to/from Comiskey.

I also work a few days a month for Chicago Trolley (as a driver) and see "first hand" how many suburbanites/tourists enjoy those trolleys and take them everywhere downtown.

Being a Sox fan who is disgusted by the arrogance of Trib/Cub Management and the stupid Lincoln Park drunks who frequent Wrigley regardless of the teams performance, I thought Trolleys to Comiskey would be a fine idea to bring fans in. I talked to other Sox fans who live in the 'burbs and they thought it was a great idea. They'd definetly use it.

I put it all on paper and sent a letter to Rob Gallas, VP of Marketing & Broadcasting. He responded that "Your perception that there is a market out there of suburban families who don't want to drive doesn't match with our market research, which shows suburbanites are very attached to their cars and drive everywhere, even when train service is available."

(I always wondered why those rush hour Metra Trains are soooooo empty...)

Mr. Gallas was cordial and closed the letter by saying "perhaps someday in the future, the time will be right to run trolleys to Comiskey Park."

I then decided to post my idea here to see if it really was a good idea or if I was just biased.

Hopefully our winning team will consistantly keep people in the seats to support them. If not, it's time to start "thinking out of the box" and try something like the trolley to bring fans in on a regular basis. Such as the fan who works downtown and afterwork could watch a Sox night game, then take the trolley back to their train station. Or the Father/Son combo; Mom is going to use the car to go shopping at the mall - she drops them off at the train station and they head downtown to catch the trolley to spend a day at the ballpark.

Not everyone drives (senior citizens) and not everyone wants to drive in the summer heat and traffic (sane people). And wait until we see the price of gas when things with Iraq get nutty!

Anyway, thanks for all your comments and ideas.

duke of dorwood
04-26-2002, 09:57 AM
A metra station at 35th st would solve a big problem for us South Suburban fans that have to use I-57/Dan Ryan. The Rock Island line that ends at LaSalle St Station serves the area well. This passes just east of the Ryan. The other SW suburban line passes just west of the park. There's 2 opportunities. Maybe our ownership does not push for this because they like the parking $.

Cheryl
04-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
A metra station at 35th st would solve a big problem for us South Suburban fans that have to use I-57/Dan Ryan. The Rock Island line that ends at LaSalle St Station serves the area well. This passes just east of the Ryan. The other SW suburban line passes just west of the park. There's 2 opportunities. Maybe our ownership does not push for this because they like the parking $.

That's the most likely answer right there.

I take the El, but that's very convenient for me. If there's lots of people taking the El when leaving the ballpark, I walk an extra two blocks to the Green Line, take that downtown, and switch to the Ravenswood there.

Moses_Scurry
04-26-2002, 12:01 PM
I park on the side of 35th street about 7 blocks West of the ballpark. It's free! I probably shouldn't say anything though because so far, I have had no problems finding an available spot!

Dadawg_77
04-26-2002, 01:24 PM
Well if you got a badge there are some free parking spots right next to the park, or at least used to be. But doesn't Ron watch the El stop right there? Even on games where there is nobody in the park the El is somewhat crowded. Maybe Urban dwellers are more use to public trans. But the trolley serivce seems like a great idea, but then again the people who post here would cross the Artic Tundera to watch the Sox play. Maybe the casual fan wouldn't but I know of people who are Sox fans, that live in the western burbs and don't go to games because it is to much of a hassle.

Cheryl
04-26-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
But doesn't Ron watch the El stop right there?

Schueler?

Dadawg_77
04-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Schueler?

Rob damn that n and b are right next to each other.

Procol Harum
04-26-2002, 02:07 PM
A trolley service would be of some interest--as long as they weren't going down the Dan Ryan.

How much would this service cost for a round-tripper to, say, the Northwestern Station?
Besides the aggravation of the drive into and (especially) out of Comiskey, I'm with Streets on being particularly cheesed off by the Sox' $13 parking tab--that's just outrageous. But if it's gonna cost me $5-6 a pop to ride a trolley, then I may as well just drive.

voodoochile
04-26-2002, 02:22 PM
The cost of parking is probably based on how much it costs Wrigley fans to park at their park, of course it ignores how many more people take the train to Wrigley or live within walking distance to begin with. Bet money they did a survey, found out Flubbie fans pay $20 to park their cars in no exit lots and figured they could "easily" raise the price to $13, not realizing how much harder they have to work to get people to the park. Short sighted thinking all around by JR and Gallas on this one...

BTW, I am wondering if 34th Street got this idea on the ESPN board, as there is a poster there who regularly postst the idea (ESPNJohn) and I noticed 34thSt was new yesterday. Someone was asking about some old regulars (Mooch and Dago), so I posted a link to the site and re-told our story of the days we left those trolling fools behind... Too bad we've all gotten so close with some of the Tribe posters, those SoxArmy days were just flat fun... Where have you gone, UncleCardjman? RoccoSotti?

Procol Harum
04-26-2002, 03:16 PM
I'll bet you're right on about the Cub factor, Voo. And I'd wager another elemetnt in how they figured this "average" price for Chicago parking was that they also compared prices with parking downtown and other city attractions. What they failed to factor in is that Sox fans from outlying neighborhoods and suburbs probably perceive parking in multi-story parking garages in ultra-packed downtown areas as something quite different from vast, multi-acre parking lots surrounding venues wherein they will be dropping some serious coin. In the suburbs they have the exact same set-up around shopping malls where they pay exactly zilch for the honor of parking.

Honestly, I don't think most Sox fans would blink an eye if parking cost $5-6 a pop. But, it's such a transparently obvious fleecing scheme (particularly in light of the 30% jump between the 2000 and 2001 seasons) that it becomes but another log on the long-smoldering flames of Sox fan resentment against the JR regime.

Streets
04-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

Honestly, I don't think most Sox fans would blink an eye if parking cost $5-6 a pop.

Now that would be nice! Never gonna happen but that would be nice. An example of other stadium parking....in Milwaukee they have numerous huge lots plus the land made available when the tore down County Stadium. I know there were a couple different prices in parking but I know I didn't pay no more than $9 and that was literally right outside the stadium. Those who took the "bridge" and walked further to their cars payed less.

voodoochile
04-26-2002, 03:39 PM

Now that would be nice! Never gonna happen but that would be nice. An example of other stadium parking....in Milwaukee they have numerous huge lots plus the land made available when the tore down County Stadium. I know there were a couple different prices in parking but I know I didn't pay no more than $9 and that was literally right outside the stadium. Those who took the "bridge" and walked further to their cars payed less.

Heck, I think in 1999 it was no more than $7.00 to park at Comiskey and might have been $5.00. Then it went to $6, $8, $10 and finally $13. Why the huge jump? I know the ticket prices haven't gone up, but come on...

raul12
04-26-2002, 03:50 PM
is parking along....crap, i can't remember the north-south street that runs east of I-90/94 and west of the El....still free? i know that you have to walk by the good ole' projects, but what's a trip to the ballgame without a little dodge-bullet game to boot? It's a bit of a walk, but I'm dutch...never believed in paying for anything i didn't have too.

Dadawg_77
04-26-2002, 04:19 PM
parking goes up because it is a hidden cost. You look at the price of a ticket before you go, you don't look at the parking. Also Parking is a high margin item for the Sox, what are the cost for parking? Plus there are asorted taxes which are covered in the parking fee, if you have a season ticket holder parking pass it breaks out the cost in detail.

doublem23
04-26-2002, 04:59 PM
Yeah, parking at Comiskey this year is $13... THAT'S INSANE!

palehosemike
04-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Coors Field has utilized the trolly in transporting fans to and from Low-Do. It has worked really well out there - but ladies and gentlemen Coors field was actually a well planned ball park unlike the New Comiskey.

I'd hate to see how Jerry would try to fund something like that - he would probably find a way to get the taxpayers to foot the bill.

PHM