PDA

View Full Version : Lowe says start me or trade me

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 01:08 PM
White Sox pitcher Sean Lowe has never been in a position to make demands, so he's not going to start now.
But he's gained some bargaining power by becoming one of the more consistent starting pitchers the Sox have, and the front office can't ignore that fact for very long.

"I really don't know what kind of plans they have for me over the course of this year or next year," Lowe said Wednesday. "I do know that I don't want to be considered a middle reliever any longer."

Lowe (6-2, 2.80 ERA) has been the organization's mutt over the last two seasons, asked to bend over backwards and then rarely rewarded.

In 2000, Lowe fought through shoulder injuries and worked as a reliever for the Sox, as well as a key spot starter down the stretch. If the Sox wouldn't have been swept by Seattle in the American League Division Series, Lowe would have started Game 4.

His reward? Offseason shoulder surgery and starting the 2001 season as a reliever.

It got worse. The 30-year-old was sent down to Triple-A Charlotte on April 27. It was explained by general manager Ken Williams that Lowe was the 11th man on the pitching staff and the Sox didn't need him at the time.

Now, they couldn't be where they are without him.

Lowe is arbitration eligible after this season, and the $300,000 he's making this year is a bargain for the Sox. Lowe is now the veteran arm in the starting rotation, with David Wells, Jim Parque and Cal Eldred out with season-ending injuries and James Baldwin gone via a trade.

"As far as stuff goes, I'm probably the last guy around," Lowe said. "But these young guys see how I can compete the way I do with the stuff I have, and it should motivate them.

"With all the talk about contract extensions going on around here, I would love to talk to (the organization) about something like that. I haven't heard anything from anyone."

Lowe's fear is the Sox will try to pay him as a middle reliever because nothing has been promised to him for 2002.

"The difference between a starter and a middle reliever is a lot of money," Lowe said. "I would never try to break the bank, but I wouldn't go into this thing trying to get a deal done as a middle reliever. I would hope that they would pay me somewhere in between."

That would slot Lowe in the $2.5-$3 million a year category with his service time.

"I do know that if at the end of the season, considering I pitch well, they come to me and say we want you back in the bullpen, that would be something I wouldn't want to hear," Lowe said. "It's not like I'm pitching over my head. Now, if they add three aces in the offseason and there's no room for me, I have no problem with that. I want to win a championship first and foremost.

"But if things stay the same and they tell me they're not going to start me, it would be obvious that I'm just not in their plans. I'd have to ask them to trade me."

Joel Perez
08-02-2001, 01:20 PM
Can we say a 2-yr deal worth $5.5 mil?

Hope so....Sean Lowe is quickly gonna get some votes as Team MVP if he continues his torrid pitching.

And he's earned it.

Iwritecode
08-02-2001, 01:20 PM
I have to agree that Lowe has done pretty much anything they have asked him to do and done it pretty well. Including that stint in the minors. Although if he goes to arbitration he might not get what he wants. Any stathounds know the number of innings he has pitched as a starter compared to relief this year and last year?

Joel Perez
08-02-2001, 01:23 PM
Check out www.chisox.com and look up his stats--I'm sure they have it there.

Or, give me some time and I'll do so....jp

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 01:24 PM
Can we say a 2-yr deal worth $5.5 mil?

:reinsy
Can you say 25,000 per game at Comiskey?

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 01:27 PM
Any stathounds know the number of innings he has pitched as a starter compared to relief this year and last year?

Nope I'm just an unemployed teen IWC!

Joel Perez
08-02-2001, 01:29 PM
...as a Starter:

3 Wins
2 Losses
41.1 Innings Pitched
39 Hits Allowed
15 Runs (all earned) allowed
3.29 ERA
22 K's
5 BB's (WOW!!!)

...as a reliever:

3 Wins
0 Losses
39 Innings Pitched
29 Hits Allowed (WOW!!)
10 Runs (all earned) allowed
2.31 ERA
19 K's
15 BB's

Iwritecode
08-02-2001, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Nope I'm just an unemployed teen IWC!

Well then you should have plenty of time to look them up! I'm only on here between bursts of writing code. Trade ya? ;)

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 01:44 PM
Well then you should have plenty of time to look them up! I'm only on here between bursts of writing code. Trade ya? ;)

How about you trade me the pay check and I look up Lowe's stats.

:)

Iwritecode
08-02-2001, 01:58 PM
How about you trade me the pay check and I look up Lowe's stats.

Something doesn't seem quite right about that trade... Who did you say your agent is?

:KW
That's a great trade. I'd take it.

Joel Perez
08-02-2001, 02:03 PM
Check above the links...found Lowe's stats for 2001. I couldn't find his other years' stats though.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:05 PM
Something doesn't seem quite right about that trade... Who did you say your agent is?

I thought it was a fair trade!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:06 PM
Check above the links...found Lowe's stats for 2001. I couldn't find his other years' stats though.

Oh I saw them I was just praying that IWC didn't so I could get his pay check.

Tragg
08-02-2001, 02:11 PM
Why in the world would we not start him.
He's an effective starter; starter's are far more valuable than relievers.
If we have a logjam with young pitchers, here's a thought - TRADE SOME for a SS, Catcher, CF or whatever.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:17 PM
If we have a logjam with young pitchers, here's a thought - TRADE SOME

We did trade a few of them and it turned into Royce Clayton and Antonio Osuna. But hey we got Majewski back from that Osuna deal!

delben91
08-02-2001, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I second that IWC, granted I'm merely a lowly intern, but I have developed quite a knack for writing code that produces seg faults. So top that!!

Paulwny
08-02-2001, 02:20 PM
JR's thinking: Let's see, I pay Lowe less money if he's a middle reliever, I don't pay the young guns much because they don'have the time in the ml, if I trade a young gun for a position player he probably makes $3-$4 mil/ year. I like middle relievers and young guns!

Randar68
08-02-2001, 02:22 PM
Ahhhhh, segmentation faults......must be niiiiiice.......

in Real-time embedded systems and DSP, segmentation faults are the easy ones, you know something is wrong before you load it........

ok, enough nerd talk....

*****!!!!!!

Iguana775
08-02-2001, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
...as a Starter:

3 Wins
2 Losses
41.1 Innings Pitched
39 Hits Allowed
15 Runs (all earned) allowed
3.29 ERA
22 K's
5 BB's (WOW!!!)

...as a reliever:

3 Wins
0 Losses
39 Innings Pitched
29 Hits Allowed (WOW!!)
10 Runs (all earned) allowed
2.31 ERA
19 K's
15 BB's

SHOW HIM THE DAMN MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:27 PM
SHOW HIM THE DAMN MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No make me

Iguana775
08-02-2001, 02:33 PM
:sopranos

"You want us to take him out???"

:capone

"I got some cement shoes for him"

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:37 PM
"I got some cement shoes for him"

But I have 6 NBA Titles!

Iwritecode
08-02-2001, 02:47 PM

Oh I saw them I was just praying that IWC didn't so I could get his pay check.

I saw them too. They are more even than I thought they would be.

Jerry, you probably don't want my paycheck anyways. I barely make enough to pay attention.

:payrod
You ain't getting any of my money either!!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:51 PM
Jerry, you probably don't want my paycheck anyways. I barely make enough to pay attention.

Well considering how I am currently bringing in $0 per year I think your pay check would be a step in the right direction.

Iwritecode
08-02-2001, 02:58 PM
Ahhhhh, segmentation faults......must be niiiiiice.......
in Real-time embedded systems and DSP, segmentation faults are the easy ones, you know something is wrong before you load it........

OK, you guys went right past me. I'm lucky enough to work with all these old languages nobody ever uses anymore.

ok, enough nerd talk....

Hey, I resemble that remark!

delben91
08-02-2001, 03:05 PM
OK, you guys went right past me. I'm lucky enough to work with all these old languages nobody ever uses

Yay for C++!!!

this thread'll probably be in the parking lot before long

FarWestChicago
08-02-2001, 03:14 PM
Yay for C++!!!

this thread'll probably be in the parking lot before long

That would be PHP kicking C++ ass, LOL!!

delben91
08-02-2001, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

I shall now genuflect (sp?) in the presence of the PHP!! LOL!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 03:38 PM

This stuff is way out my league, I took a class 2 years ago where we used a program called "Q-basic" or something like that and I was way out of my league.

rmusacch
08-02-2001, 04:34 PM
Do any of you teens have summer jobs? It seems like all you do is post. To have over 700 posts already is amazing and kinda sick.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 04:48 PM
Do any of you teens have summer jobs? It seems like all you do is post. To have over 700 posts already is amazing and kinda sick.

I don't have a summer job because I don't need to have one. The other teens on the board do. Yeah it's sick but you're used to the email list where it takes a while to respond to dumb comments by Andrew, Clay, Ward or Kosin. But on a message board the responses are faster.

Joel Perez
08-02-2001, 05:00 PM
31 posts for Sean Lowe eh? Someone must love him...

:sean What, me worry???

FarWestChicago
08-02-2001, 05:02 PM

Sean's been a real trooper for the last year. He deserves respect. Who can forget the Flubs game where he bailed out XL Wells?

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 05:03 PM

I'd say about 16 for Sean everything else is off topic.

rmusacch
08-02-2001, 05:28 PM
Must be nice to not have to have a summer job and be a spoiled brat. So if you do not have a summer job, why do you sit in front of a keyboard all day long trying to get as many posts as possible on a message board?

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 05:32 PM
Must be nice to not have to have a summer job and be a spoiled brat.

You don't know me so don't say I'm spoiled.

rmusacch
08-02-2001, 05:35 PM

You don't know me so don't say I'm spoiled.

Sorry, that was uncalled for. It just sounds like that if you do not have a summer job, you are probably spoiled. Don't you want a summer job? Why sit inside all day if you do not have a job? Why not go out and have some fun.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 05:39 PM
Sorry, that was uncalled for. It just sounds like that if you do not have a summer job, you are probably spoiled. Don't you want a summer job? Why sit inside all day if you do not have a job? Why not go out and have some fun

That's ok, the reason I don't have a summer job is because I don't have to pay for anything. I know that sounds like I am spoiled but what I mean is I don't have my drivers license so I don't have to pay for a car or insurance. And that is the reason why most teens have a summer job so they can pay for a car.

rmusacch
08-02-2001, 05:42 PM
That's ok, the reason I don't have a summer job is because I don't have to pay for anything. I know that sounds like I am spoiled but what I mean is I don't have my drivers license so I don't have to pay for a car or insurance. And that is the reason why most teens have a summer job so they can pay for a car.

That is cool. I had a summer job so I could do stuff.