PDA

View Full Version : Spring Question

Lip Man 1
03-21-2008, 09:38 PM
To those who have been following this closely. In three of the last four spring games the Sox offense has just about disappeared.

Is Ozzie playing a lot of kids or guys who aren't going to make the big league roster?

With a week to go before it starts for real, I just figured the offense would be starting to kick into high gear, with the regulars seeing most of the time and that the experimentation phase would be over.

But I haven't been following this very closely so that's why I'm asking for some details if possible.

Lip

sox1970
03-21-2008, 09:51 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/scoreboard/20080321.html

Lip Man 1
03-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Sox 1970:

I don't understand. I can see the box and it looks like he is still playing some 'scrubs' for want of a better word but has Ozzie commented on this in the past few days?

Lip

sox1970
03-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Jenks pitched an inning yesterday. He probably has a schedule for each of the pitchers until opening day, so some minor league camp guys fill in at the end.

Hitmen77
03-22-2008, 12:05 AM
To those who have been following this closely. In three of the last four spring games the Sox offense has just about disappeared.

Is Ozzie playing a lot of kids or guys who aren't going to make the big league roster?

With a week to go before it starts for real, I just figured the offense would be starting to kick into high gear, with the regulars seeing most of the time and that the experimentation phase would be over.

But I haven't been following this very closely so that's why I'm asking for some details if possible.

Lip

FWIW, Ozzie did rip the team yesterday for their "lack of intensity".

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080320-ozzie-guillen-white-sox,1,1185593.story

michned
03-22-2008, 03:13 AM

Lip

I saw the game Tuesday against the Padres and most of the regulars played the full nine, and Quentin played instead of Swisher. Alexei came in at short in the 8th but that was the only substitution. This was a game that they lost 5-0 and hit into five double plays. It didn't look good but I figured it was just one game that was played eerily similar to many games last year.

Railsplitter
03-22-2008, 07:53 AM
It would make sense to give a player every chance possible before making seding him down or keeping i=him in the show.

balke
03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I would say there's a lack of intensity so far, as there should be. It is spring Training.

The unfortunate thing is they need to fire it up and show what's real and what's not just before the season starts which is very soon.

A lot of the guys look ready to go, I'm a little curious about Dye so far, who has at least shown power.

I think and hope once you put this lineup totally together, you'll see a big offense, and hopefully surprisingly good enough starting pitching. Bullpen might be a problem once again, I hope not though.

JB98
03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
The team certainly isn't hitting right now. That's for sure. Hopefully, they get the slump out of their system this week before the real games start.

LITTLE NELL
03-24-2008, 05:44 PM
We discussed this on another thread. Some of you are not too concerned but I sure as hell am. We have the worst ST record of all AL teams. I am encouraged by the starting pitching the last week or so, 4 or 5 quality starts in a row. Lets pick up the hitting this last week.

Blueprint1
03-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Seems like the same issues all over again. We are facing a left handed pitcher once again. At some point we might have to blame the players or the coaches for this. Why does Walker get a free pass on this?

LITTLE NELL
03-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Down today 3-0 in 7th with 3 hits

PorkChopExpress
03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Spring training or not, this absence of hitting scares me. For those who say we will see a big offense when the regulars are together, why don't we at least see a small offense when most of them are together? This complete inability to get hits and score runs is too similar to last year's offensive woes.

And as for not playing with fire during spring training, I thought Ozzie said we were going to do the exact opposite this year and play hard all through spring training. It is getting close to the start of the regular season, and these guys should be rounding into form, not getting shut-out.

LITTLE NELL
03-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Spring training or not, this absence of hitting scares me. For those who say we will see a big offense when the regulars are together, why don't we at least see a small offense when most of them are together? This complete inability to get hits and score runs is too similar to last year's offensive woes.

And as for not playing with fire during spring training, I thought Ozzie said we were going to do the exact opposite this year and play hard all through spring training. It is getting close to the start of the regular season, and these guys should be rounding into form, not getting shut-out.
Amen to that, this is looking too much like last spring. If you cant hit in the thin Arizona air how the hell are you going to hit in Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit when its 40 degrees.

PorkChopExpress
03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Seems like the same issues all over again. We are facing a left handed pitcher once again. At some point we might have to blame the players or the coaches for this. Why does Walker get a free pass on this?

As soon as Washburn was out and Lowe (a righty) went in, we got a triple followed up by an RBI single and another single.

Dick Allen
03-24-2008, 06:09 PM
And then Brian Anderson struck out w/2nd and 3rd, two outs. Sound familiar?

sox1970
03-24-2008, 06:11 PM

:popcorn:

JB98
03-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Missed opportunities. I've seen it often in games I've watched this spring.

Lip Man 1
03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
For what it's worth they had a soundbite from Ozzie on Comcast SportsNite this evening where Ozzie says he's now getting "concerned" about the Sox offense (or lack of same.)

He said "we've got a week to get these guys going" and that "you can't just turn it on and off when you want it."

Kerry Sayers was reporting live from Tuscon and she said that the Sox "rank 10th this spring out of all American League teams, hitting only .276."

Lip

EMachine10
03-25-2008, 06:47 PM
I'll post this in here, because it's a spring question...

Does anybody else notice that we don't run at all in Spring Training, as in very inactive basepaths. From what I've read and seen on TV, nobody seems to running much, except a few attempts early on in spring. Lately it's been completely absent. Also absent is the great Ozzie-ball fundamental of bunting. I wonder why we struggle so mightily at bunting during the season...:scratch:

Lip Man 1
03-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Well Ozzie was quoted numerous times this past off season in saying how things were going to be "different" this spring.

You make some valid points. I don't have the answers to your questions and comments.

Lip

oeo
03-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Well Ozzie was quoted numerous times this past off season in saying how things were going to be "different" this spring.

You make some valid points. I don't have the answers to your questions and comments.

Lip

From all reports, things did change. They've worked more on fundamentals this year, especially baserunning.

I don't understand how one can say that we are not bunting enough, because not every situation calls for a bunt.

EMachine10
03-25-2008, 07:27 PM
From all reports, things did change. They've worked more on fundamentals this year, especially baserunning.

I don't understand how one can say that we are not bunting enough, because not every situation calls for a bunt.

I understand that every situation does not call for a bunt, but from the games that i've seen, we've gotten a lead runner on, and then the next batter doesn't even attempt a bunt. And i'm not talking about the next batter being Thome or Konerko. It's guys like Cabrera, Owens, Ramierez, Uribe, and the sort. Nothing against those guys, they're probably not getting the signs to bunt, but the only bunt I saw laid down was Richar who got a single out of it. There was a good sac bunt after that, but that's those are the only two I've seen -- or heard about, since I know someone will say not all the games have been on tv. It's just my opinion that these types of things should be beaten to death in spring training, and it just doesn't seem to happen with us.

As for the baserunning, i'm sure they're working on it. I know they've gotten that baserunning coach, but I just haven't seen it executed in game situations very often at all.

Just my .02

oeo
03-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I understand that every situation does not call for a bunt, but from the games that i've seen, we've gotten a lead runner on, and then the next batter doesn't even attempt a bunt. And i'm not talking about the next batter being Thome or Konerko. It's guys like Cabrera, Owens, Ramierez, Uribe, and the sort. Nothing against those guys, they're probably not getting the signs to bunt, but the only bunt I saw laid down was Richar who got a single out of it. There was a good sac bunt after that, but that's those are the only two I've seen -- or heard about, since I know someone will say not all the games have been on tv. It's just my opinion that these types of things should be beaten to death in spring training, and it just doesn't seem to happen with us.

I haven't seen every game, and know for a fact that there have been more bunt attempts than Richar's bunt single from earlier in the spring. Again, it's difficult to make these observations when you really can't see every inning of every game. If you've been in Tucson and seen a lot of it, and that's how you feel, then I'll take your word for it...otherwise, I'd like to see it myself in the regular season.

As for the baserunning, i'm sure they're working on it. I know they've gotten that baserunning coach, but I just haven't seen it executed in game situations very often at all.I have. :dunno:

What exactly were you expecting to see?

EMachine10
03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
In the previous 11 games, there were 2 attempts at stolen bases. The game before that, Bourgeouis went bananas with 3 sb. But only 2 attempts in 11 games? I just thought they'd try and be a little more aggressive, because I thought they were going to get away from the rely on the long ball game.

A few of my friends went out to see some games for a week and said they missed a lot of bunt opportunities.

Hey, maybe we're just catching the games that the other misses. Or maybe I'm just stressin out about a bogus paper I'm trying to write :tongue:

Hitmen77
03-25-2008, 09:33 PM
The team certainly isn't hitting right now. That's for sure. Hopefully, they get the slump out of their system this week before the real games start.

It doesn't help that some of our key veterans (Cabrera, Crede, Dye) aren't getting hits. I hope these guys are ready to go come March 31.

doogiec
03-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that whatever happens in the games on the back fields is rarely reported.

My last time down in Tucson was in 2006, and I checked out some of the so called minor league games played in the morning on the practice fields. I was shocked at how many major league players were involved in those games. And often, the rules in those games are bent to allow players to work on certain things. I never saw a recognizable media member at these games.

A couple of the last games I saw the White Sox had Podsednik and Thome hit first and second, every inning. So they got nine at bats per game, and most were against major league pitching. In one case, the other team started three innings with a runner on first base, and were clearly working on moving him over.

When I got back to Chicago, the first thing I heard on Chicago talk radio was a discussion of how Guillen was an idiot for failing to get Podsednik and Thome enough at bats. Very little of what happens in spring training get reported back.