PDA

View Full Version : Childers instead of Jenks??

repeat06
03-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Today in the 9th inning Ozzie went to Childers. Why didnt he go wit Jenks if we were 1 run up and get him some work in?

:scratch:

Lip Man 1
03-21-2008, 09:40 PM
I am a little curious myself (see another thread) about this. It looks like some guys who aren't even under consideration to make the final roster now are seeing action and I was wondering why.

But I haven't followed this closely and Ozzie may have given a valid reason in the past few days.

Lip

infohawk
03-21-2008, 09:44 PM
I think in these games Ozzie schedules the pitcher appearances before the game starts. The guy who pitched the ninth, whom I've never heard of before, was probably told he would get some work in later in the game.

It's funny you bring it up, though. It occurred to me while watching the game that whenever we have a slim lead during a spring training game, some minor leaguer comes in and I fully expect the lead to disappear. Minor leaguer comes in after the comeback today and, as Hawk would say, "poof," no more lead!

Lip Man 1
03-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Info:

Of the top of my head I can think of three or four games this spring (including today) where what you said has happened.

Lip

anewman35
03-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Info:

Of the top of my head I can think of three or four games this spring (including today) where what you said has happened.

Lip

It's Spring Training. Why do we care?

havelj
03-21-2008, 10:24 PM
It's Spring Training. Why do we care?

Agree.
move on.

DumpJerry
03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Jenks has been pitching in early innings in games to increase the number of real major league batters he faces and not a bunch of prospects who can't challenge him.

salty99
03-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Plus Jenks probably wasn't even in Scottsdale

Lip Man 1
03-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Anewman:

You're right wins and losses don't matter in the spring but as far 'why should we care?' well with about a week's worth of games left don't you think it's time to tell the Triple A scrubs to go home and put the opening day guys in the roles they'll be filling when the bell sounds on the 31st?

I recall last year for example, Triple A guys playing the final week including the final few games. Ozzie said this year things would be different in an effort to foster a new attitude. If what Ozzie said is true, then I get back to my original point. It's time, in my opinion, to put the starters out there and get them in the roles they need to be in.

Lip

A.T. Money
03-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Jenks has been pitching in early innings in games to increase the number of real major league batters he faces and not a bunch of prospects who can't challenge him.

This answer makes the most sense to me.

The Immigrant
03-21-2008, 11:53 PM
My uneducated guess is that another team wanted to take a look at Childers and, in all likelihood, won't be asking about him again.

TDog
03-22-2008, 12:47 AM

Thank you.

peeonwrigley
03-22-2008, 01:06 AM
My uneducated guess is that another team wanted to take a look at Childers and, in all likelihood, won't be asking about him again.

:rolling:

btrain929
03-22-2008, 01:38 AM
To Childers' defense, the bad hop to 1B'man Phillips sucked and nothing could be done about that. Then, there was a hit and run where Childers actually threw a good pitch low and away, and the guy made a wild swing at it and snuck it down the line.

Plus, I think Jenks threw yesterday, and he hasn't been throwing back to back days this spring.

Like a previous poster stated, Ozzie, before the game, probably already said these are the pitchers who will pitch for me, whether the score was 3-2 or 10-1, Childers was probably going to pitch the 9th.

guillen4life13
03-22-2008, 04:36 AM
^Add john Danks to your signature. He's part of the crew also.

btrain929
03-22-2008, 09:08 AM
^Add john Danks to your signature. He's part of the crew also.

Hahaha, true. But I think the chance of Danks having a successful major league career is a lot higher than Floyd's is. If that means Danks has to take some bumps and bruises in his early years (ala Garland), so be it (hopefully not THAT many years, though). Plus, I personally feel Danks will be very successful this year (13-12, 4.4-ish era?).

jabrch
03-22-2008, 11:25 AM

DING DING DING

Everyone knows Jenks can handle the pressure of the 9th inning. Right now he needs to be working against MLB calibre hitters, not guys who won't make a roster. OG can assure him that by getting him his inning of work early, rather than late.

btrain929
03-22-2008, 11:29 AM
We should see this change in the next week, though. A lot of the teams will have their minor leaguers back in minor league camp, and the starters of almost every team will be playing deep into games until the season starts. OG said on whitesox.com that he's going to start using his relievers in roles that they will most likely take on during the season for the final days of spring.

soxinem1
03-22-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't know, Guillen chewed out the team in the press for not showing effort, then he blows it with these curious moves. Sure, ST does not count, but he should prepare the team he is opening the season with now, not auditioning '#68'-types.

I can understand about Jenks pitching early, that makes perfect sense.

But he should use one of the relievers who will be part of the team when they break camp to close in these instances now. Jenks will not be able to close every day, let one of the other guys get some experience closing too.

kittle42
03-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Boy.........

:threadsucks

kittle42
03-22-2008, 07:23 PM
They went to Omogrosso in the 10th today. What the hell, Ozzie?

ilsox7
03-22-2008, 07:24 PM

Damn, she went from The Apprentice to the Sox bullpen?

sox1970
03-22-2008, 07:24 PM

And Omogrosso did a helluva job.

LITTLE NELL
03-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Ozzie wants more intensity but he brings in nobodies to save the game 2 days in a row and what happens; they blow the lead.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Nell:

Good point.

Like I said when do we stop seeing the Triple A guys...it's not like there's a month to go before the opener right?

Lip

sox1970
03-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Ozzie wants more intensity but he brings in nobodies to save the game 2 days in a row and what happens; they blow the lead.

Logan blew it in the 9th. Jenks had to get his work in the 8th since the 9th was not guaranteed on the road.

MarySwiss
03-22-2008, 07:55 PM

Thank you.

DING DING DING
Everyone knows Jenks can handle the pressure of the 9th inning. Right now he needs to be working against MLB calibre hitters, not guys who won't make a roster. OG can assure him that by getting him his inning of work early, rather than late.

Agreed. WHO CARES who wins an ST game? I was at the 11-1 blowout by the Angels a couple of weeks ago at Diablo, and I had a hell of a good time, playing hooky from work, seeing my Sox up close, meeting and gabbing with other Sox fans, and enjoying the Spring Training experience, which is totally unlike the Cell experience. Not better. Not worse. Just different.

kittle42
03-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Agreed. WHO CARES who wins an ST game? I was at the 11-1 blowout by the Angels a couple of weeks ago at Diablo, and I had a hell of a good time, playing hooky from work, seeing my Sox up close, meeting and gabbing with other Sox fans, and enjoying the Spring Training experience, which is totally unlike the Cell experience. Not better. Not worse. Just different.

Thank you. The game was over, for all intents and purposes, in the 8th or 9th. Looks at how many subs came in after. Who cares? WHO CARES?

Lip Man 1
03-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Mary:

I simply want them to start winning some damn games. It's not March 9th anymore. They are one week away from the real deal. You can't turn it on and off like a water hose.

They have looked bad this past week, Ozzie didn't call them out for nothing earlier in the week.

I believe in the old axiom, winning begets winning....and losing begets losing.
-----

Sox 1970:

Looking through the box I see that was Logan 3rd blown save of the spring...guess he's in midseason form already!

Lip

sox1970
03-22-2008, 08:10 PM
See the thing is....spring training games are bull****.

High skies. Blaring sun. Rock hard infields. Minor league players.

You want to see effort, but wins and losses mean absolutely nothing.

oeo
03-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Today in the 9th inning Ozzie went to Childers. Why didnt he go wit Jenks if we were 1 run up and get him some work in?

:scratch:

This is still Spring Training, and Bobby (just like every other pitcher in baseball) is still on a schedule.

I swear there's also something to whine about on here.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Sox 1970:

I don't totally disagree with your contention but I'm not much for those "excuses".

You can have a high sky in Cleveland...for years the infield in Anaheim was rock hard because they used crushed brick along with the lack of rain.

The point is to play hard and win. That's what the guys are paid for.

Considering the difficulty of their early schedule and the absolute necessity to get off to a good (I'll settle for decent) start I think the time for excuses and playing minor leaguers is over. It's March 22nd...not March 3rd.

We'll see how it plays out I guess.

Lip

oeo
03-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Please, Lip, you're just making an issue out of nothing.

I see the guys that will make the team putting up zeros (Thornton, Dotel, Jenks, MacDougal)...that's a good sign. It's not like the last couple of years when we were seeing ****ty play from the guys that will be on the 25-man roster.

LITTLE NELL
03-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Sox 1970:

I don't totally disagree with your contention but I'm not much for those "excuses".

You can have a high sky in Cleveland...for years the infield in Anaheim was rock hard because they used crushed brick along with the lack of rain.

Considering the difficulty of their early schedule and the absolute necessity to get off to a good (I'll settle for decent) start I think the time for excuses and playing minor leaguers is over. It's March 22nd...not March 3rd.

We'll see how it plays out I guess.

Lip
Lip, you and me are on the same page. Even the players said they wanted to win more games in ST this year, so lets play to win this last week.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2008, 10:50 PM
OEO:

I notice you didn't mention one Mr. Boone Logan is your comment.

:D:

Can't say that I blame you!

Lip

Tragg
03-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Please, Lip, you're just making an issue out of nothing.

I see the guys that will make the team putting up zeros (Thornton, Dotel, Jenks, MacDougal)...that's a good sign.
MacDougal and "will make the team" in the same sentence? Yikes!

Corlose 15
03-23-2008, 12:54 AM
It's a non issue. Stop just looking for **** to bitch about people.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080322&content_id=2452132&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

kittle42
03-23-2008, 12:22 PM
It's a non issue. Stop just looking for **** to bitch about people.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080322&content_id=2452132&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I'm already announcing that if the Sox suck the first week and anyone cites ST games as the reason, I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger.

sox1970
03-23-2008, 12:27 PM
I'm already announcing that if the Sox suck the first week and anyone cites ST games as the reason, I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger.

Agreed. :angry:

LITTLE NELL
03-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I'd still like us to turn it up a notch this last week. In 2000, the last week we played all the regulars and pounded the ball scoring in double digits every game and I think we won every game. That carried on into the season and we hit 216 HRS, the first time the Sox ever had over 200 HRs in a season and of course we won the division.