PDA

View Full Version : Swisher and Rowand

havelj
03-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I think Kenny made the correct decision BY FAR when he got Swisher after Rowand went to the Giants.

I really love Rowand, had a few beers with him in the city when he was here, but I honestly think this will turn out to be one of the best decisions Kenny has made during his tenure.

Aaron has many, many miles on his body. He was a hustle player, but I think Swish will be that type of player AND push the others to be better - much more than AR did. He was a quiet guy, actually.

I will always root for AR, but after the next 4 years, Swish will end up being the best move Kenny has made. Mark my words!

khylek
03-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Not sure it's an either/or situation. But I love the Swisher acquisition. Funny too that the A's came to Kenny to replenish their weak farm system...

areilly
03-21-2008, 09:50 PM
I agree. Rather than spend money on a .260-.280 hitter with overrated defense, Kenny was wise to trade two of the organization's top prospects for a .260-.280 hitter with overrated defense.

fozzy
03-21-2008, 09:55 PM
it's more like swisher and about 30 million dollars vs. rowand, gio, dls and sweeny. i really hope he made the right decision

havelj
03-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Interesting stats from "Stat-of the-Week":

http://actasports.com/sow.php?id=161

fusillirob1983
03-22-2008, 02:07 AM
I agree. Rather than spend money on a .260-.280 hitter with overrated defense, Kenny was wise to trade two of the organization's top prospects for a .260-.280 hitter with overrated defense.

I don't think Swisher's defense is overrated. I'm pretty sure people are aware that he's not among the best defense center fielders.

guillen4life13
03-22-2008, 04:29 AM

OMG I love cherries. I can't pick them every day in my backyard, but I can do that with oranges! You and I share a passion! You pick cherries, I pick oranges! Let's be friends!!!!

Get my drift? Neither of those two prospects are top in the league and I would say that for DLS and Gio, there's about a 10% chance of them becoming the aces they're projected to be, and Sweeney's chances of being a star player are even less. Swisher is a young player with a very good track record (why don't you check out his OPS before you make such stupid statements like the one above). He's moving from a pitcher's park to a hitter's park and will greatly help our team out. I don't know as much about his defense, but I haven't heard a single negative thing.

And think about this: when's the last time a Sox prospect or young player (other than Chris Young, if you consider him a real success) became a star in another organization?

Not in this decade, unless you consider Jon Rauch a "star."

Nick Swisher is a star player. He was the the star player for the A's. I see him evolving into the cornerstone around which the rest of the franchise is built. And his attitude doesn't hurt either.

fquaye149
03-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Rowand is about 2/3's the hitter Swisher is

the1tab
03-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Swisher's batting average might not dwarf ARs, but let's not forget the average # of pitches he sees per at bat and his OBP. His versaility (1st base, all three OF spots) also helps, but I think one of the biggest differences to me is looking down the Sox lineup... we needed one more lefthanded hitter every day. Swisher, Thome & AJ give Ozzie the ability to mix up the lineup on a daily basis. LaRussa has staggered his lineup for years and gotten above expected results from fair to above average lineups (granted, with a superstar or two, but never a top-to-bottom studfest like Boston or NY has).

And Swisher's a riot and will take all of one half inning this year to become a fan favorite at the Cell. I was on his bandwagon watching his antics in Oakland. He'll be my next Sox jersey.

voodoochile
03-22-2008, 11:18 AM
Rowand is about 2/3's the hitter Swisher is

2/3 the hitter at 3X the price... where do I sign up for a deal like that...

fquaye149
03-22-2008, 11:22 AM
2/3 the hitter at 3X the price... where do I sign up for a deal like that...

When that price includes not giving up a surefire lock for the HOF...wel...

jabrch
03-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Oh Goodie - another Aaron Rowand thread....

fquaye149
03-22-2008, 11:25 AM

I can see how you would be surprised after opening this thread, that it would be about Rowand.

I really feel for you, being tricked, as you were, into reading this against your will. I mean, you definitely couldn't tell by the title that it would be about Rowand and therefore avoid it....so you are the victim here.

:(:

Dan Mega
03-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Really? The title didn't give it away?

btrain929
03-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I can see how you would be surprised after opening this thread, that it would be about Rowand.

I really feel for you, being tricked, as you were, into reading this against your will. I mean, you definitely couldn't tell by the title that it would be about Rowand and therefore avoid it....so you are the victim here.

:(:

God, I love extreme sarcasm! That's what makes us Sox fans!!!! :gulp:

Lukin13
03-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I really love Rowand, had a few beers with him in the city when he was here,

I understand in this particular situation you are taking the exact opposite side.... BUT

I have a feeling that I strongly underestimate the effect that personal interactions just like this one play a role in many of the prolific poster's opinions.

fquaye149
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
He Should Only Be Drinking Protein Shakes Anyway

Jerome
03-22-2008, 04:57 PM
I think straight up everyone agrees that Swisher is the far superior player, and I'm thrilled he's on the Sox, I think he might even become an All Star. Maybe.

it all depends on how Gio and DLS pan out, will they wind up being more or less valuable than the boatload of money that the Giants gave to Rowand? Will Danks and Floyd step it up and justify KWs faith in them? b/c if they do then I don't think we're going to miss Gio and DLS. If not...we might be in trouble no matter how good Swisher is.