PDA

View Full Version : Ramirez makes the opening day roster

WizardsofOzzie
03-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080320-alexei-ramirez-white-sox,1,2327279.story

Ozzie isn't sure where Ramirez is going to play or how much but he's officially on the roster.

hi im skot
03-21-2008, 09:04 AM
I truly have no idea exactly what to expect from this team this year.

CashMan
03-21-2008, 09:18 AM

.220 avg, then banished to the minors for eternity, just like BA.

ND_Sox_Fan
03-21-2008, 09:28 AM

I am not sure what exactly either, but I am sure it will be something better than this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2007.shtml).

hi im skot
03-21-2008, 09:31 AM
I am not sure what exactly either, but I am sure it will be something better than this (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2007.shtml).

No joke.

LoveYourSuit
03-21-2008, 09:34 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080320-alexei-ramirez-white-sox,1,2327279.story

Ozzie isn't sure where Ramirez is going to play or how much but he's officially on the roster.

"official"

Nothing is official with this team these days.

ChiTownTrojan
03-21-2008, 09:35 AM

At the bottom of the article it also mentions that Anderson has solidified his spot on the team, continuing to play well while Quentin struggles.

KenBerryGrab
03-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Alexei will be the spark, baby.

Hitmen77
03-21-2008, 09:48 AM

I agree. There's enough upside throughout their entire lineup that they could be great this season....but there are also enough question marks that could lead to a mediocre season. Ramirez could turn out to be a very exciting player for us...or he could struggle to adjust to MLB pitching.

I thought this article from yesterday was pretty good:
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=157048

rdwj
03-21-2008, 09:50 AM

It must be nice to have such a positive outlook

hi im skot
03-21-2008, 09:53 AM

The entire team banished to the minors, eh?

champagne030
03-21-2008, 11:20 AM
It must be nice to have such a positive outlook

It would be far more outlandish to suggest .300/.360/.530 and great defense. :scratch:

Rocky Soprano
03-21-2008, 11:47 AM

Go cheer for the Cubs then. This IS their year!

CashMan
03-21-2008, 11:50 AM

So you find, giving BA the job after the world series, letting him take his lumps, then the next year, sign a rent-a-player, and banishing BA to the minors, OK? Sounds GREAT to me, mix in Ozzie having no idea how to manage a bullpen and Kenny having no idea how to assemble and, and I think I like the Sox chances.

Rocky Soprano
03-21-2008, 11:52 AM
So you find, giving BA the job after the world series, letting him take his lumps, then the next year, sign a rent-a-player, and banishing BA to the minors, OK? Sounds GREAT to me, mix in Ozzie having no idea how to manage a bullpen and Kenny having no idea how to assemble and, and I think I like the Sox chances.

Who managed the 05 Sox and who assembled them?
Get a clue buddy, like I said, go cheer for the north side.

Is this a GREAT team? No, but you act like they shouldnt even bother to play the games.

hi im skot
03-21-2008, 11:55 AM

I'm not one to dwell on the past, but what exactly do you call 2005?

Ah, hell...how about 2004 and 2006? Injuries killed the Sox in 2004, and everyone decided to **** the bed in the second half of '06.

Kenny and Ozzie really have it in for us.

CashMan
03-21-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm not one to dwell on the past, but what exactly do you call 2005?

Ah, hell...how about 2004 and 2006? Injuries killed the Sox in 2004, and everyone decided to **** the bed in the second half of '06.

Kenny and Ozzie really have it in for us.

I would say, 05 was the SP and a few people had career years. I noticed, you said nothing about BA. Did I say they had it in for us? I said Ozzie doesn't know how to use a bullpen, and it is the truth. How did the POWER ARMS work out? Lets see....Sisco is in AAA, Aardsma is gone.

CashMan
03-21-2008, 12:02 PM

Is this a GREAT team? No, but you act like they shouldnt even bother to play the games.

I am a Sox fan, but I am not going to tell myself, this team can contend for a playoff spot. IF they finish past 81-81, I would be surprised.

hi im skot
03-21-2008, 12:11 PM
I would say, 05 was the SP and a few people had career years. I noticed, you said nothing about BA. Did I say they had it in for us? I said Ozzie doesn't know how to use a bullpen, and it is the truth. How did the POWER ARMS work out? Lets see....Sisco is in AAA, Aardsma is gone.

I don't agree with how the entire organization (not just Ozzie) handled the Anderson situation. It seems like everyone panicked in mid-2006 and all of 2007; the Sox weren't getting it done, so they tried to compensate by picking up/over-playing veterans (Mackowiak, Erstad).

No question that Ozzie was an idiot for throwing Mack in CF every other day, and I don't agree with not giving Anderson a shot last season.

However, I don't believe that Kenny and Ozzie are really the bad guys; they've made mistakes, obviously, but we've seen a lot of under-achieving as well (Sisco, Aardsma). They both had a lot of potential (Aardsma looked great early on, but after the Detroit meltdown he was never the same), but they couldn't get it done. I was excited when we picked them up, but the results weren't there; I can't really blame Kenny or Ozzie for that.

I'm impressed with Anderson this spring, and I really hope that this is the year that he finally shines. With Quentin going down, here's his chance to make it happen.

Ultimately, we all want the Sox to succeed this season. If they don't, I don't believe it will have much to do with what Kenny and Ozzie have/have not done.

TomBradley72
03-21-2008, 12:22 PM

"Banishing to the minors"? BA "banished" himself....he's pretty much admitted he didn't have the right approach to the game...his production reflected that.

Any evidence that ANY team has every offered anything for BA in a trade? Apparently all 30 major league teams are "conspiring" to ruin poor BA's career.

WhiteSox5187
03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Alexei certainly has impressed me with his offensive numbers, but you can't trust offensive numbers in ST though. I would imagine at this point though that big league pitchers are now trying to get guys out and not just working on stuff and getting in their innings, so maybe he can handle major league stuff. But as has been said, he could use some more plate discipline and his D could use some work. I'd rather see us land Roberts and let Alexei work it out in the minors, but I'm not horrified by this idea. Nor am I horrified with the idea of BA being on team either.

hi im skot
03-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Alexei certainly has impressed me with his offensive numbers, but you can't trust offensive numbers in ST though. I would imagine at this point though that big league pitchers are now trying to get guys out and not just working on stuff and getting in their innings, so maybe he can handle major league stuff. But as has been said, he could use some more plate discipline and his D could use some work. I'd rather see us land Roberts and let Alexei work it out in the minors, but I'm not horrified by this idea. Nor am I horrified with the idea of BA being on team either.

In my humble opinion, we need to give up the Roberts talk and give the kid a chance to succeed. Yes, you can't draw a great conclusion on a guy based on Spring numbers, but I'd sure as hell rather see him putting up great numbers than look like crap out there.

CashMan
03-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't agree with how the entire organization (not just Ozzie) handled the Anderson situation. It seems like everyone panicked in mid-2006 and all of 2007; the Sox weren't getting it done, so they tried to compensate by picking up/over-playing veterans (Mackowiak, Erstad).

No question that Ozzie was an idiot for throwing Mack in CF every other day, and I don't agree with not giving Anderson a shot last season.

However, I don't believe that Kenny and Ozzie are really the bad guys; they've made mistakes, obviously, but we've seen a lot of under-achieving as well (Sisco, Aardsma). They both had a lot of potential (Aardsma looked great early on, but after the Detroit meltdown he was never the same), but they couldn't get it done. I was excited when we picked them up, but the results weren't there; I can't really blame Kenny or Ozzie for that.

I'm impressed with Anderson this spring, and I really hope that this is the year that he finally shines. With Quentin going down, here's his chance to make it happen.

Ultimately, we all want the Sox to succeed this season. If they don't, I don't believe it will have much to do with what Kenny and Ozzie have/have not done.

I am not saying they are bad guys, but when you rely on the unknown or potential, I think you are setting your self up to fail. I think Ozzie's problem is, he gets into his head he doesn't like people IE: Anderson, Rock, the rookie pitcher who was suppose to hit the one batter a few years back. As for Mack and Erstad, Mack, was suppose to play 2nd and 3rd, but the 1st year he was year, was playing CF, then after a year of that garbage Ozzie said, he won't play there. Took him 1yr of failure to figure that out?!? And, Erstad was mind boggling. But, I will watch the Sox, cause I love them, but I expect them to go .500 this year, and probably make 1-2 bad trades. I just don't see how having Jose, Danks and Floyd in you starting rotation, and be excited about the season. I mean, we are talking about a team who gave Uribe 4mill to waive him, 4mill to play for another team.

dickallen15
03-21-2008, 12:39 PM
In my humble opinion, we need to give up the Roberts talk and give the kid a chance to succeed. Yes, you can't draw a great conclusion on a guy based on Spring numbers, but I'd sure as hell rather see him putting up great numbers than look like crap out there.

Of course, but you have to figure he's going to struggle. He's in for a huge adjustment period for his life as a whole. I think his spring has a lot of people expecting too much. Wilson Valdez last year with the Dodgers hit like .355 with an OPS of .920 in spring training, with about 30 more ABs than Ramirez has right now. During the season his OPS was .530. Ramirez looks like he could be real good, but he does need to get stronger. He's supposedly pretty brutal at 2B, so he needs to work on that, and he's going to have to adjust to some colder weather. We do know he is better than Andy Gonzalez, but expecting him to be a huge contributor in 2008 is jumping the gun IMO.

gobears1987
03-21-2008, 12:42 PM

Is this a GREAT team? No, but you act like they shouldnt even bother to play the games.I'm with you there.

Ozzie has a passion for winning. He is the manager we need. You can't criticize his managing of the pen last year. Outside of Jenks, we had no one who was reliable. Ozzie had to decide which poison he wanted each time he went to the pen.

gobears1987
03-21-2008, 12:44 PM
You are a fool if you think it is Ozzie's fault that Sisco and Aardsma sucked. KW got those guys not Ozzie. I don't mean to rant on KW either. He built us a World Series winner, something that none of his living predecessors did.

gobears1987
03-21-2008, 12:45 PM
"Banishing to the minors"? BA "banished" himself....he's pretty much admitted he didn't have the right approach to the game...his production reflected that.

All true.

BA has changed his approach and will be on the opening day roster.

TomBradley72
03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
All true.

BA has changed his approach and will be on the opening day roster.

I'm a huge BA fan...I think he has a real chance to be one of the top CF's if he gets his **** together and if Ozzie can show just a little bit of patience.

(The Mack in CF move in 2006 has to be one of Ozzie' worst decisions as a manager (just ahead of Timo Perez at 1B :cool:)...but he's made alot of good ones as well)

kittle42
03-21-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm with you there.

Ozzie has a passion for winning. He is the manager we need. You can't criticize his managing of the pen last year. Outside of Jenks, we had no one who was reliable. Ozzie had to decide which poison he wanted each time he went to the pen.

Please...sure, they all sucked, but Ozzie apparently never reads a scouting report or looks at stats when it comes to relievers.

TheVulture
03-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I am not saying they are bad guys, but when you rely on the unknown or potential, I think you are setting your self up to fail.

You're arguing from both sides of the fence. First you complain about the sox banishing a player to the minors, one who couldn't hit himself out of a paperbag, played like a moron and had a piss poor attitude at that, now you think we shouldn't rely on potential. At least you have the bases covered.

Heffalump
03-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Kenny has no idea how to "assemble" ? ? ? Uh, 2005 World Champions? Who assembled that team?

Ozzie has no idea how to manage a bullpen? See above -2005. Everybody in the Sox' pen but Bobby imploded in 2007. God couldn't manage the 2007 bullpen.

I can't stand Sox fans that seem to hate the team, the manager, the GM, etc. I understand having issues with certain moves, etc. but why do you even watch the team if you think EVERYTHING is bad?

kittle42
03-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Kenny has no idea how to "assemble" ? ? ? Uh, 2005 World Champions? Who assembled that team?

Ozzie has no idea how to manage a bullpen? See above -2005. Everybody in the Sox' pen but Bobby imploded in 2007. God couldn't manage the 2007 bullpen.

I can't stand Sox fans that seem to hate the team, the manager, the GM, etc. I understand having issues with certain moves, etc. but why do you even watch the team if you think EVERYTHING is bad?

See my post above. I really don't think you can argue that Ozzie manages his pen well.

Corlose 15
03-21-2008, 01:05 PM
I am not saying they are bad guys, but when you rely on the unknown or potential, I think you are setting your self up to fail. I think Ozzie's problem is, he gets into his head he doesn't like people IE: Anderson, Rock, the rookie pitcher who was suppose to hit the one batter a few years back. As for Mack and Erstad, Mack, was suppose to play 2nd and 3rd, but the 1st year he was year, was playing CF, then after a year of that garbage Ozzie said, he won't play there. Took him 1yr of failure to figure that out?!? And, Erstad was mind boggling. But, I will watch the Sox, cause I love them, but I expect them to go .500 this year, and probably make 1-2 bad trades. I just don't see how having Jose, Danks and Floyd in you starting rotation, and be excited about the season. I mean, we are talking about a team who gave Uribe 4mill to waive him, 4mill to play for another team.

The reason Ozzie played Mack in CF was Anderson wasn't hitting his weight, that and the fact that its been documented that Anderson didn't have the most mature approach to the game and you can see why his stock would diminish.

I don't understand the Raines issue. Ozzie doesn't have the right to hire who he wants to be on his staff?

The Sean Tracey issue was resolved a year and a half ago, why even bring it up?

How about we let the season play out a bit before we crucify Danks, Floyd, and Contreras. Both Danks and Floyd showed some positive things last year and Contreras' velocity is back and he isn't dealing with his divorce anymore.

Also, I don't know why its so hard for people to understand the Uribe situation. They gave him 4.5 MM so SO THEY WOULD HAVE A SHORTSTOP. Their negotiating for Cabrera wouldn't have gone as well if they had no backup plan. Also, they waived Uribe, they didn't release him. Essentially they put him on waivers to gauge other team's interest in him. It doesn't necessarily mean he won't be on the Sox. People get waived all the time. Andruw Jones got waved a year or so ago. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but if somebody claims him off of waivers I believe they take his salary, so the Sox wouldn't be paying him.

But hey, pessimism rocks, you're always happy with the outcome.

CashMan
03-21-2008, 01:05 PM
You are a fool if you think it is Ozzie's fault that Sisco and Aardsma sucked. KW got those guys not Ozzie. I don't mean to rant on KW either. He built us a World Series winner, something that none of his living predecessors did.

Who assembled the "POWER ARMS!"? Not Ozzie.

CashMan
03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
The reason Ozzie played Mack in CF was Anderson wasn't hitting his weight, that and the fact that its been documented that Anderson didn't have the most mature approach to the game and you can see why his stock would diminish.

I don't understand the Raines issue. Ozzie doesn't have the right to hire who he wants to be on his staff?

The Sean Tracey issue was resolved a year and a half ago, why even bring it up?

How about we let the season play out a bit before we crucify Danks, Floyd, and Contreras. Both Danks and Floyd showed some positive things last year and Contreras' velocity is back and he isn't dealing with his divorce anymore.

Also, I don't know why its so hard for people to understand the Uribe situation. They gave him 4.5 MM so SO THEY WOULD HAVE A SHORTSTOP. Their negotiating for Cabrera wouldn't have gone as well if they had no backup plan. Also, they waived Uribe, they didn't release him. Essentially they put him on waivers to gauge other team's interest in him. It doesn't necessarily mean he won't be on the Sox. People get waived all the time. Andruw Jones got waved a year or so ago. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but if somebody claims him off of waivers I believe they take his salary, so the Sox wouldn't be paying him.

But hey, pessimism rocks, you're always happy with the outcome.

I am pretty sure the team HAS to pay at least the minimum.

goon
03-21-2008, 01:12 PM
It would be far more outlandish to suggest .300/.360/.530 and great defense. :scratch:

I'm pretty sure there is something in the middle.

Not entirely sure though. He'll either be god awful or a MVP candidate because those are the only outcomes that make sense. Right?

jcw218
03-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I am pretty sure the team HAS to pay at least the minimum.

If only one team claims a player placed on waivers, the claiming team assumes the contract in full. If a player placed on waivers "clears" and is released, and then signed by another team, the signing team pays a prorated portion of the league minimum and the former team is pays the difference on the contract.

Heffalump
03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
See my post above. I really don't think you can argue that Ozzie manages his pen well.

So would you say he mismanaged the pen in 2005? If not, what has changed since then? I will agree that Ozzie's decisions are all based on his "gut" and I wish he did take stats into account a bit more, but that's Ozzie.

While I won't say he is the best, if he had guys that can perform, I think he is okay. There isn't a manger alive or dead that could have managed our pen last year.

I do agree that the whole Mack situation was absurd. And sticking with Erstad all year was an embarassment as well.

gobears1987
03-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Who assembled the "POWER ARMS!"? Not Ozzie.
Kenny did, and he should take the blame for it. But, he also assembled the only championship team in 90 years. Give him credit instead of being a whiner.

Kenny also is the one who went out and got the best free agents he could find to help shore up our bullpen for our 2008 Championship run. Now please go troll elsewhere and leave us in peace.

gobears1987
03-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Good post

Ken Griffey Jr. has also been put on waivers every year. Remember when the Sox tried to get him off waivers and the whole "where's he gonna play."

WizardsofOzzie
03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/2618/hijackmedue2.jpg

:D:

CashMan
03-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Kenny did, and he should take the blame for it. But, he also assembled the only championship team in 90 years. Give him credit instead of being a whiner.

Kenny also is the one who went out and got the best free agents he could find to help shore up our bullpen for our 2008 Championship run. Now please go troll elsewhere and leave us in peace.

Right....I am trolling cause I am not a homer.....ya.

HomeFish
03-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Right....I am trolling cause I am not a homer.....ya.

I know it's stressful to have to deal with all these blind hope-mongers, but it was way worse before 2007. That season seems to have knocked a high dose of realism into a lot of people here. Before, there was a veritable cult of optimism that was not afraid to harass or ban those who dared to dissent.

The Immigrant
03-21-2008, 02:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3304727

Apologies for steering this pathetic thread back to actual baseball talk, but Jayson Stark has some nice things to say about Alexei.

FarWestChicago
03-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Right....I am trolling cause I am not a homer.....ya.I didn't think you were a troll. However, now that you've been endorsed by the King, I may have to reconsider my position. :D:

Rocky Soprano
03-21-2008, 02:14 PM
I know it's stressful to have to deal with all these blind hope-mongers, but it was way worse before 2007. That season seems to have knocked a high dose of realism into a lot of people here. Before, there was a veritable cult of optimism that was not afraid to harass or ban those who dared to dissent.

Yeah! Mr. Dark Cloud himself! This thread is now complete. :bandance:

WizardsofOzzie
03-21-2008, 02:20 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3304727

Apologies for steering this pathetic thread back to actual baseball talk, but Jayson Stark has some nice things to say about Alexei.
How dare you turn my train wreck of a thread back towards it's original purpose! :tongue:

kittle42
03-21-2008, 02:33 PM
So would you say he mismanaged the pen in 2005? If not, what has changed since then?

He didn't feel the need to change relievers for every hitter based on L/L or R/R matchups that didn't follow statistical evidence to the contrary in 2005. He has made it his specialty the past two seasons.

goon
03-21-2008, 02:39 PM
That season seems to have knocked a high dose of realism into a lot of people here. Before, there was a veritable cult of optimism that was not afraid to harass or ban those who dared to dissent.

I love how you think REALISM is somehow synonymous with PESSIMISM. The "dark clouds" are just as obnoxious and misguided as the "pollyannas". All of us level-headed contributors on this message board laugh at the absurdity of both groups' illogical, rash positions.

I can't say that the 2008 White Sox are without their flaws, but I'm going to support them anyway. I'm not going to waste my time making bold predictions one way or another. They will compete and surely be a more exciting squad to watch vs. last season's abortion.

ksimpson14
03-21-2008, 03:04 PM

So if you don't think Alexei Ramirez is ML ready, you shouldn't be allowed to be a Sox fan? :scratch:

duke of dorwood
03-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I like this unknown factor we have -could be great upside, and yet not sure what to expect from new guys-first years are all career years, arent they?

russ99
03-21-2008, 03:07 PM

First off, I don't think of Ramirez as a kid. He's 25 - or 28 depending on who you believe.

Secondly, he's been a pro in Cuba for 3-5 years and has faced all kind of Cuban and international pitching, so I really don't think the leap to the majors is going to be that drastic for him. Contreras will also certainly be a mentor to him on dealing with life in the majors.

With Uribe likely dealt and Richar on the DL, this is a golden chance for him to step in and show he belongs in the majors.

If things don't go well, Kenny can always either bring up Richar or add a #9 hitting 2B man later in the season.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-21-2008, 03:12 PM
At the bottom of the article it also mentions that Anderson has solidified his spot on the team, continuing to play well while Quentin struggles.

i thought carlos quentin was the next coming of albert pujols? :scratch:
thats what some of you made him sound like... what happened??? :redneck

RockJock07
03-23-2008, 06:04 PM
So if you don't think Alexei Ramirez is ML ready, you shouldn't be allowed to be a Sox fan? :scratch:

I'm pretty sure that wasn't point but IMO I've watched 3-4 games this spring and I like what I saw. Of course he's raw, but he's can play. In the WBC he was real solid and I'm comparing his transition to the ML sort of like Tadahito's in 05. He's going to struggle at times, but I think he's gonna surprise some people.

Let's stop the BA was screwed thing. He was bad in 06, that's why he was sent to the minors. All he had to do was hit .250, he didn't, nuff said

spawn
03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Just a note: Ramirez hit a grand slam in the second inning in todays game against the Brewers...off of Ben Sheets.

CHIsoxNation
03-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Just a note; Ramirez hit a grand slam in the second inning in todays game against the Brewers...off of Ben Sheets.

Was just coming to post that. Thome with a bomb too. Glad to see Thome heating up before the season starts and Ramirez coming up with a clutch 2 out hit like that.

October26
03-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Just a note: Ramirez hit a grand slam in the second inning in todays game against the Brewers...off of Ben Sheets.

Very happy about this ! I'm listening to this hideous interactive broadcast on the Score -yuck. I am really pulling for Alexei to make it. I have a special place in my heart for Cuban born players (Minoso, El Duque Hernandez, Contreras) and hope for good things for/from Alexei Ramirez!

LoveYourSuit
03-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Was just coming to post that. Thome with a bomb too. Glad to see Thome heating up before the season starts and Ramirez coming up with a clutch 2 out hit like that.

You want to know how the Sox loaded the bases?

Konerko stretched a double to the wall into a single and then two other singles got Konerko all the way to 3B......... yikes.

And the icing on the cake was the slam for Ramirez.

Sounds like our formula the last few seasons.

We are going to need a lot of this to make up for the lack of wheels once again at that heart of the order.

PS

Gavin sucked again today.

HomeFish
03-26-2008, 04:15 PM
I can't be the only person uncomfortable with Alexei starting out as a bench player. Seems to me that a guy coming here from Cuba should be exposed to as much American pitching as possible so he can make adjustments and therefore either start here or in AAA. I worry that limited time for him might stunt his development.

goon
03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
PS

Gavin seems to suck all of the time.

CHIsoxNation
03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
You want to know how the Sox loaded the bases?

Konerko stretched a double to the wall into a single and then two other singles got Konerko all the way to 3B......... yikes.

And the icing on the cake was the slam for Ramirez.

Sounds like our formula the last few seasons.

We are going to need a lot of this to make up for the lack of wheels once again at that heart of the order.

PS

Is the game on TV today?

Nice to see Floyd with no walks but it looks like he's getting crushed.

pdimas
03-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I can't be the only person uncomfortable with Alexei starting out as a bench player. Seems to me that a guy coming here from Cuba should be exposed to as much American pitching as possible so he can make adjustments and therefore either start here or in AAA. I worry that limited time for him might stunt his development.

I think he will be seeing enough at bats based on the fact that he can play ss, 2b and center field. He can spell any of those guys on any day. I have a feeling Ozzie will try to work him into the lineup more often than your everyday bench player.

spawn
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
PS

So did Ben Sheets.

It seems to be an offensive day. Thome has two dingers, AJ has one, and the GS by Ramirez. My guess is the wind is blowing out.

Floyd is obviously throwing to contact as he has 6 K's in the game.

EDIT: make that 7 K's.

LoveYourSuit
03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Is the game on TV today?

Nice to see Floyd with no walks but it looks like he's getting crushed.

No TV, I think?

Floyd and Danks are going to be a rollercoaster ride for us this year.

Metalthrasher442
03-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Good to see Ramirez doing what he's doing!

Anyone know how Floyd did last spring training??

spawn
03-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Good to see Ramirez doing what he's doing!

Anyone know how Floyd did last spring training??
I honestly think he's having a better spring this time around. I'll probably get ridiculed for saying that, but I really don't give a ****. :wink:

LoveYourSuit
03-26-2008, 04:37 PM
I honestly think he's having a better spring this time around. I'll probably get ridiculed for saying that, but I really don't give a ****. :wink:

True that .... but last spring was very very very bad.

CHIsoxNation
03-26-2008, 04:42 PM

I agree. Though he got crushed today, I was happy to see no walks. For the most part his spring has been pretty good.

Metalthrasher442
03-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Well at least his spring has improved.

oeo
03-26-2008, 05:34 PM

I think if you want to look at the silver-lining...he's throwing strikes. Getting hit in Arizona is one thing, walking guys is another. The getting hit part doesn't necessarily translate to the regular season, the walks do. If he's throwing strikes, then he may actually be in good shape coming in.

The same can be said of Contreras. Danks has disappointed me in his last couple of starts with an inability to throw strikes, though.

chisox77
03-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Alexie will be a very exciting and productive player. Could be a big story.

:cool:

Dan Mega
03-26-2008, 08:16 PM
I thought he could use a year at AAA to help his butchering defense. Oh well.

FarWestChicago
03-26-2008, 09:08 PM
I can't be the only person uncomfortable with Alexei starting out as a bench player.Yes, you are.

BadBobbyJenks
03-27-2008, 01:10 AM
I think if you want to look at the silver-lining...he's throwing strikes. Getting hit in Arizona is one thing, walking guys is another. The getting hit part doesn't necessarily translate to the regular season, the walks do. If he's throwing strikes, then he may actually be in good shape coming in.

Man I dont know what to think of Gavin. He looked great at times out there today, I think he ended up with 7 strikeouts. Looked like he had good command of the off speed stuff today. Then next thing you know he is getting hit hard. The Braun and Hart home runs were no doubters. But to your point about throwing strikes, yes that is a positive sign.