PDA

View Full Version : Somber Streak Trib Sports front page on Chicago Tribune Live set

chisoxmike
03-19-2008, 11:59 PM
If you've ever seen Chicago Tribune Live on Comcast Sports Net, you'll know that the background of the set is a handful of blownup front pages from the Trib's sports section.

Well, one of them in the current set is the infamous "Somber Streak" front page.

Really Comcast? You couldn't get another sports moment the past year to put up in the background? Buehrle's no hitter is up there, so is a Cub-centric front page. But no Bears winning the NFC? No Bulls sweeping the Miami Heat in last year's playoffs? No White Sox winning the World Series?

If you are unfamiliar with the outrage about this front page, read on...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=1&id=2820

Vernam
03-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Call me paranoid, but CTL's coverage of the Sox has sucked ever since Dave Kaplan took over. Many days they don't mention the Sox at all, and many others they'll do a very brief, half-hearted segment. This will hopefully change once the Bulls go away, but it's pretty annoying.

Kaplan said the other day he guarantees the Cubs will win 96 games. Another day he said they'll win their division by 18 games. The giddiness is palpable when he discusses them. Once a WGN Radio guy, always a WGN Radio guy.

Vernam

chisoxmike
03-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Call me paranoid, but CTL's coverage of the Sox has sucked ever since Dave Kaplan took over. Many days they don't mention the Sox at all, and many others they'll do a very brief, half-hearted segment. This will hopefully change once the Bulls go away, but it's pretty annoying.

Kaplan said the other day he guarantees the Cubs will win 96 games. Another day he said they'll win their division by 18 games. The giddiness is palpable when he discusses them. Once a WGN Radio guy, always a WGN Radio guy.

Vernam

Kaplan is a known Cub cheerleader. It was in another thread not too long ago but Chicago Tribune Live has been a very Cub-love fest. Like they're entitled to win the World Series this year or something...

Oh yeah, and...

96 wins my ass. 86 sure, which is good enough to win the NL Central. Which they probably will. Not 96.

pudge
03-20-2008, 02:19 AM
They probably put the Somber Streak headline in there just to drive WSI folks crazy...

Nah, they're not nearly that clever.

TomBradley72
03-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Maybe they'll replace it with the infamous "Rolling Towards Danger" headline...when they were on a hot streak but their next stop was Oakland?

Anyone catch the "Field of Schemes" headline a few weeks ago for an article focusing on their potential change of spring training locations?

Lip Man 1
03-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Kaplan and Ed Sherman got into it a little bit a few weeks ago. Kaplan, who looks stiff as a board on the show, keep calling him Mr. White Sox and you could see Ed start to get red in the face. Finally in answer to one of Kaplan's jabs, Ed blurted out, "OK, Mr. Cub..."

To which Kaplan paused and then said, "touchet."

Lip

TommyJohn
03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
John Kass has written a couple of columns in which he portrays Dave Kaplan
as a (borderline psychotic) relentless Cub cheerleader. In September of
2005, when the White Sox were experiencing their slide, Kass wrote of Kaplan
seeing him from inside the WGN radio booth. He turned on the mic so he
could be heard outside. "How 'bout them Sox?" Kaplan blurted, then made the
sign of a choke. Kass responded with a Greek obscene gesture. Kaplan's
behavior on the show surprises me not in the least.

jdm2662
03-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Haven't watched in a long time since I'm usually not home at 5:30. What happens to Jiggins? I thought he did a good job running the show.

Hitmen77
03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Maybe they'll replace it with the infamous "Rolling Towards Danger" headline...when they were on a hot streak but their next stop was Oakland?

Anyone catch the "Field of Schemes" headline a few weeks ago for an article focusing on their potential change of spring training locations?

There's always the "U.S. Insular Field" from the Trib's front page on the first day of the 2005 playoffs.

oeo
03-20-2008, 11:20 AM

Kaplan is awful. Anytime there even is anything about the Sox, he somehow has to compare the situation to the Cubs. Can the guy just shut the **** up for a few minutes if all he wants to do is talk about the Cubs? There are often times in which it looks like he's going to get into a fist fight right on TV when anyone says a bad thing about the Cubs.

The show was never very great, because I hate listening to all those idiots, but Jiggets did a good job at least making it watchable.

Haven't watched in a long time since I'm usually not home at 5:30. What happens to Jiggins? I thought he did a good job running the show.

Lip mentioned that he wanted to focus more on the Bears/football in general.

Carolina Kenny
03-20-2008, 12:05 PM
The lead story yesterday was on the Kerry Wood injury. In the meantime, the Juan Uribe story was out there. The starting SS for the last several years is put on waivers, yet Balsa Wood who has hardly booked any innings the past several years is the lead story.

The show is terrible, although its great to see Johnny Bach once and awhile.

ksimpson14
03-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't think you're paranoid Vernam, it's true, though the Sox coverage has actually been slightly better than I expected

The show is a waste. Guests usually don't do much research or have anything to back up what they say, they just give their personal opinion, and a lot of times they get caught up in casual fan type generalizations. Why do I care about someone else's personal opinion? Just because someone is paying for them to give it? Similar to sports radio. I am more interested in actual substance, inside information, breaking news, etc. I can get all of this information online.

I have no problem with talking sports or listening to personal opinions, but internet message boards should make all these guys obsolete. Real fans to talk sports with, no wait time, less focus on hierarchy on whose opinion matters more, and no conflict of interest from being paid (no need to try to make something out of nothing, what the media lives for).

TomBradley72
03-20-2008, 01:02 PM
It's especially compelling when they have Sam Smith commenting on baseball.

fquaye149
03-20-2008, 01:07 PM
To be fair, that streak occurred before Don't Stop Believing was adopted as the official theme song.

For that streak the official song was "Bela Lugosi's Dead" by Bauhaus

Foulke You
03-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't think you're paranoid Vernam, it's true, though the Sox coverage has actually been slightly better than I expected

The show is a waste. Guests usually don't do much research or have anything to back up what they say, they just give their personal opinion, and a lot of times they get caught up in casual fan type generalizations. Why do I care about someone else's personal opinion? Just because someone is paying for them to give it? Similar to sports radio. I am more interested in actual substance, inside information, breaking news, etc. I can get all of this information online.
I couldn't agree more with your synopsis of the Tribune Live show. It really doesn't offer any insight or intelligent conversation and like you, I'm constantly amazed at how ill prepared most of the guests are about the topics they chat about. I definitely know more about Chicago baseball than most of the boobs they have on that show and I'm not paid a salary to know that stuff. These guys ARE paid and you'd think they'd show more pride in their job and do some research first. I guess it is just easier to wing it and sound like you know what your talking about.:rolleyes:

pierzynski07
03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
The lead story yesterday was on the Kerry Wood injury. In the meantime, the Juan Uribe story was out there. The starting SS for the last several years is put on waivers, yet Balsa Wood who has hardly booked any innings the past several years is the lead story.

If Uribe is the starting shortstop, then why do we have Cabrera? :scratch:

Vernam
03-20-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't think you're paranoid Vernam, it's true, though the Sox coverage has actually been slightly better than I expected Too late, I've already been committed, but thanks anyway. :redneck

On tonight's show, they went on at length about how Kerry Wood is going to be fine, and even if he isn't, the Cubs have two other guys (Marmol and Dempster) who would make excellent closers. :rolleyes: This logic is similar to when they repeatedly claim that the Cubs have seven viable starting pitchers. As we all know, in MLB, quantity always trumps quality.

Then when the Sox segment came (after the Cubs, of course), the focus was on what a disaster their 2B situation is. We actually do have three viable candidates at 2B (a position far less critical than closer or start, fwiw), yet all Kaplan and the other panelists -- except Sam Smith, who valiantly claimed the Sox will surprise some people -- heaped abuse on Kenny for the Uribe/Richar situation. (They strangely omitted reference to Ramirez, who's batting in the high .300's.) All this is especially funny because the guy they have pegged as the Cubs' 2B is still in an Orioles uniform.

What gets me is that the Sox are co-owners of this ****ing station, right?

Vernam

jcw218
03-20-2008, 09:59 PM
What gets me is that the Sox are co-owners of this ****ing station, right?

Vernam

Yes, the White Sox are a part owner of Comcast Sports Net Chicago. But so are the Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks.

EndemicSox
03-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Yes, the White Sox are a part owner of Comcast Sports Net Chicago. But so are the Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks.

Didn't know that, I guess I'll take anything they have to say with a grain of salt. Do the teams own a piece of 670 or 1000 as well?

DrCrawdad
03-21-2008, 12:08 AM

The Sox rotation gets a lot of jeers from Cubbie fans, but after Zambraino their rotation drops dramatically. And their "young stud" Rich Hill - their game three starter in the '07 NLDS - has been terrible this spring - worse than Contreras and even worse than Gavin Floyd.

DumpJerry
03-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Didn't know that, I guess I'll take anything they have to say with a grain of salt. Do the teams own a piece of 670 or 1000 as well?
No. The Chicago teams own an equal share of CSN.

TomBradley72
03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
The Sox rotation gets a lot of jeers from Cubbie fans, but after Zambraino their rotation drops dramatically. And their "young stud" Rich Hill - their game three starter in the '07 NLDS - has been terrible this spring - worse than Contreras and even worse than Gavin Floyd.

Exactly.

Lilly has a career year last year...unlikely to repeat, Hill looks horrible, Dempster's last full season as a starter was in 2003, he went 3-7, 6.54 for the Reds. His last decent season as a starter was in 2001...15-12, 4.94.

soltrain21
03-21-2008, 01:01 PM

I see nothing wrong with this. Sometimes you guys look WAY too hard for something to complain about.

bryPt
03-21-2008, 01:04 PM
See, you guys are missing the one key point that should end the discussion before it even starts:

Chicago TRIBUNE live. It is a daily paid advertisement for their company, which still owns cubDUMB.

thomas35forever
03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
How did Hangar sign in to so many people's accounts?:redneck

Ziggy S
03-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Exactly.

Lilly has a career year last year...unlikely to repeat, Hill looks horrible, Dempster's last full season as a starter was in 2003, he went 3-7, 6.54 for the Reds. His last decent season as a starter was in 2001...15-12, 4.94.

I don't think a 4.94 ERA could ever be qualified as decent, especially since Dempster was in the National League that year

BainesHOF
03-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Call me paranoid, but CTL's coverage of the Sox has sucked ever since Dave Kaplan took over.

Kaplan is a major-league hack.

DrCrawdad
03-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Kaplan is a major-league hack.

Kaplan is a major league Sox hater. I'll never forget the time I heard Kaplan interviewing Bobby Hill and continuously mocking the Sox for drafting and not signing the future Bobby Grich, Bobby Hill. Interestingly, Hill kept taking the high road and graciously begging off taking negative shots at the Sox but Kaplan kept at it the whole interview.

Hitmen77
03-22-2008, 10:34 AM

Exactly.

The big difference, though, is that all the Cubs have to do is rack up wins against 5 weak division opponents (though I do hope the Brewers are better this year).

Even with that weak rotation, they could waltz their way to 84 wins and another clincher. The Sox, on the other hand, have to be almost perfect to hope for an AL playoff spot.

Vernam
03-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Kaplan is a major league Sox hater. I'll never forget the time I heard Kaplan interviewing Bobby Hill and continuously mocking the Sox for drafting and not signing the future Bobby Grich, Bobby Hill. Interestingly, Hill kept taking the high road and graciously begging off taking negative shots at the Sox but Kaplan kept at it the whole interview.The thing that gets me about him and virtually everyone at WGN Radio is that they seem to come from an alternate universe where the 60s and 70s never happened. Every day is 1956 -- or hell, 1955, because Elvis might never have come along yet for all these people know. Seriously, where do they find these stiffs? It's like they must sign an oath of allegiance to the ghosts of Wally Phillips and Bob Collins, promising to always be bland and non-threatening.

I never meet anyone like this in real life. And I can't imagine who listens, unless their target demographic is age 60 to 80. Where it relates to the Cubs is in maintaining the illusion that Wrigley is a cozy place to see the lovable losers instead of a creepy gathering place for incipient alcoholics fresh from wasting four years of their parents' money at some state university.

Okay, I think that's out of my system now. Gotta have one good rant like this to clear out the pipes for Opening Day.:wink:

Vernam

fusillirob1983
03-22-2008, 12:54 PM
I like how Ryan Dempster is a possible closer is a possible closer and possible starter and can very well be decent at both according to these guys, even though he's not really that good at either.

SoxandtheCityTee
03-23-2008, 05:52 PM
The thing that gets me about him and virtually everyone at WGN Radio is that they seem to come from an alternate universe where the 60s and 70s never happened. Every day is 1956 -- or hell, 1955, because Elvis might never have come along yet for all these people know. Seriously, where do they find these stiffs? It's like they must sign an oath of allegiance to the ghosts of Wally Phillips and Bob Collins, promising to always be bland and non-threatening.

I never meet anyone like this in real life. And I can't imagine who listens, unless their target demographic is age 60 to 80. Where it relates to the Cubs is in maintaining the illusion that Wrigley is a cozy place to see the lovable losers instead of a creepy gathering place for incipient alcoholics fresh from wasting six years of their parents' money at some state university.

Okay, I think that's out of my system now. Gotta have one good rant like this to clear out the pipes for Opening Day.:wink:

Vernam

Nicely done, I made just one small correction. :smile:

Vernam
03-24-2008, 01:55 AM
Nicely done, I made just one small correction. :smile:A crucial oversight on my part! Thanks for clarifying. :thumbsup:

Vernam

tebman
03-24-2008, 08:45 AM
The thing that gets me about him and virtually everyone at WGN Radio is that they seem to come from an alternate universe where the 60s and 70s never happened. Every day is 1956 -- or hell, 1955, because Elvis might never have come along yet for all these people know. Seriously, where do they find these stiffs? It's like they must sign an oath of allegiance to the ghosts of Wally Phillips and Bob Collins, promising to always be bland and non-threatening.

I never meet anyone like this in real life. And I can't imagine who listens, unless their target demographic is age 60 to 80. Where it relates to the Cubs is in maintaining the illusion that Wrigley is a cozy place to see the lovable losers instead of a creepy gathering place for incipient alcoholics fresh from wasting four years of their parents' money at some state university.

Vernam

:yup:

Iwritecode
03-24-2008, 11:36 AM
The starting SS for the last several years

If Uribe is the starting shortstop, then why do we have Cabrera? :scratch:

Read the part in red over again and you'll see that his statement makes perfect sence.

He never once mentioned this year...

chisoxmike
03-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Unreal.

On today's "Sox preview" they somehow got on the discussion of a Cubs/Yankees game in 2003 and they talked about how great Kerry Wood has looked in spring.

Unreal.

sox1970
03-28-2008, 07:28 PM
With Kaplan hosting, that show is more of a lost cause than it already was.

itsnotrequired
03-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Unreal.

On today's "Sox preview" they somehow got on the discussion of a Cubs/Yankees game in 2003 and they talked about how great Kerry Wood has looked in spring.

Unreal.

HATE THE MEDIA

Lip Man 1
03-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I just watched the tape of that and couldn't believe it.

I dashed off a line to Comcast about it basically saying whatever Kaplan wants to talk about on his Cub radio show is fine, whatever he wants to talk about during the Cub segment on Chicago Tribune Live is fine, but at least have the damn decency to talk about the Sox when you are supposed to be talking about them.

I'm not impressed with this clown at all, he's stiff on TV, has a monotone voice and comes across at times with a 'know it all' attitude.

But hey he orgasms over the Cubs so I guess he's worth hiring!

And with all the talk about Mariotti asking the Sun-Times to drop his e-mail for comments, I find it interesting that Comcast has never posted individual e-mails of their staff so views can be expressed to them. They just have a general e-mail bin which I'm pretty sure never even gets to the individuals involved.

Lip

Vernam
03-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I dashed off a line to Comcast about it basically saying whatever Kaplan wants to talk about on his Cub radio show is fine, whatever he wants to talk about during the Cub segment on Chicago Tribune Live is fine, but at least have the damn decency to talk about the Sox when you are supposed to be talking about them. When they enter into the "Sox segment," it generally takes less than a minute for someone (and not always Kaplan, for that matter) to turn the conversation back to the Cubs. It's like that's their only reference point. Kaplan in particular just obviously isn't knowledgeable about anything except (maybe!) the Cubs. So of course they return to their comfort zone as quickly as possible.

I don't even recognize the names of half those jokers. When Sam Smith is there, it's like he's the voice of reason, which shows how low the bar is set. On Monday, Contreras had a pretty impressive outing, setting down 13 of 15 hitters at one point. But on CTL that night, nobody had even bothered to check how he did that day. They talked about what a brutal spring he's had, how he's secretly 50 years old -- parroting all the BS that every other lazy sportswriter or broadcaster says. :angry: Hey, they just get paid to follow sports, why should they actually give a damn?

Vernam