PDA

View Full Version : Players' Union can't understand why Barry is not getting any offers

DumpJerry
03-19-2008, 04:51 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7927578/Fehr:-Union-will-investigate-why-no-Bonds-offers

You've got to be kidding me.

Reality check time.

WhiteSox5187
03-19-2008, 05:00 PM
It's hard to believe that a 43 year old jerk who is a one dimensional player facing jail time isn't getting more offers.

FedEx227
03-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah talked about this on my radio show last night.

Hmmmmmmmmm... I can't understand why Barry wouldn't be getting any offers. :scratch:

It just boggles my mind. It's not as if theres something possibly hanging over him or anything... :scratch: no yes.... :scratch:

not really sure, they should really look into it.

LoveYourSuit
03-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Player's union will tell you that there is no War going on in Iraq right now.

thomas35forever
03-19-2008, 06:28 PM
http://www.insolitology.com/images/Church%20Lady.jpg
"Hmmm...could it beeeeeeeeee...SATAN?!"

Oblong
03-19-2008, 06:45 PM
It's not about Barry, it's just a fishing expedition for Collusion.

LoveYourSuit
03-19-2008, 06:50 PM
It's not about Barry, it's just a fishing expedition for Collusion.

yup, they are just doing their job. But no one she be looking out for a scum bag like this clown.

That's just like an Attorney defending a serial killer.

Frontman
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Here's my take on it.

IF the union was "doing its job" they would be fishing for collusion for EVERY player who reaches retirement age and is broken down. But Fehr wants Barry in any uniform as to lessen the effect that they "didn't do anything" during the steroid era, and that they "turned the other cheek."

If one team takes a chance on Barry, the union can point to that organization and say, "Well, THEY believe Barry isn't a steroid user. Would they sign him if they thought that?!?!?!"

It's a dog and pony show, no more; no less. This isn't a player who is being kept from earning a living; he's had a good career, made a ton of money, and now its time for him to leave the sport behind.

santo=dorf
03-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Couldn't the White Sox use an upgrade in LF? :devil:

balke
03-19-2008, 08:39 PM
We can DH Barry against lefties, and Thome against righties :wink:.

Bonds likes to play as few games as possible anyhow.

thomas35forever
03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
We can DH Barry against lefties, and Thome against righties :wink:.

Bonds likes to play as few games as possible anyhow.
Don't you know what would happen? I defer you to this post made last August.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1658950&postcount=16

fquaye149
03-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Say waht you want about Barry, and there's plenty to say, but he still has a valuable bat, and I'm shocked an AL team hasn't even offered him an incentive heavy contract.

Clearly there are myriad concerns:

clubhouse distraction
ethical implications of steroid abuse
injury concerns
legal concerns

But to act like it's not surprising a guy who put up great numbers in limited play hasn't been offered a contract is a little bit ridiculous

fquaye149
03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Here's my take on it.

IF the union was "doing its job" they would be fishing for collusion for EVERY player who reaches retirement age and is broken down. But Fehr wants Barry in any uniform as to lessen the effect that they "didn't do anything" during the steroid era, and that they "turned the other cheek."

If one team takes a chance on Barry, the union can point to that organization and say, "Well, THEY believe Barry isn't a steroid user. Would they sign him if they thought that?!?!?!"

It's a dog and pony show, no more; no less. This isn't a player who is being kept from earning a living; he's had a good career, made a ton of money, and now its time for him to leave the sport behind.

This is emblematic of the kind of ridiculous lengths people will go to ignore the facts of the situation.

Bonds is in very steep decline but he's not "Washed up" nor is he "broken down at retirement age"

He had 340 AB last year, OBPed .480, hit 28 HR and 14 2B.

By comparison Jim Thome had 430 AB last year at DH, OBPed .410, hit 43 HR and 19 2B

Now, Bonds doesn't have 1/1000th the character of Jim Thome, nor is he as "young" as Thome, but he's hardly Julio Franco:rolleyes:

You would think he'd get an offer, that's all.

edit: Just to clarify--I don't feel bad for Bonds. He's reaped what he sowed. But given the amount of concern for "ethics" of their personnel GMs have had in the past (Milton Bradley just inked a deal this offseason. Albert Belle made mucho dinero in his career...sorry Steff), it really seems like their reasoning for not signing Bonds has more to do with making a symbolic statement than with doing what is "best for the team" from a numbers standpoint

Frontman
03-20-2008, 12:36 AM
This is emblematic of the kind of ridiculous lengths people will go to ignore the facts of the situation.

Bonds is in very steep decline but he's not "Washed up" nor is he "broken down at retirement age"

He had 340 AB last year, OBPed .480, hit 28 HR and 14 2B.

By comparison Jim Thome had 430 AB last year at DH, OBPed .410, hit 43 HR and 19 2B

Now, Bonds doesn't have 1/1000th the character of Jim Thome, nor is he as "young" as Thome, but he's hardly Julio Franco:rolleyes:

You would think he'd get an offer, that's all.

edit: Just to clarify--I don't feel bad for Bonds. He's reaped what he sowed. But given the amount of concern for "ethics" of their personnel GMs have had in the past (Milton Bradley just inked a deal this offseason. Albert Belle made mucho dinero in his career...sorry Steff), it really seems like their reasoning for not signing Bonds has more to do with making a symbolic statement than with doing what is "best for the team" from a numbers standpoint

Thome when healthy also didn't take every 3rd or 4th game off to "rest his knees."

Bonds is broken down. While some team *might* of taken the chance on him, the concept of signing a player with Federal charges against him isn't publicity any team would welcome. It would take a very strong need to sign him.

chaerulez
03-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Thome when healthy also didn't take every 3rd or 4th game off to "rest his knees."

Bonds is broken down. While some team *might* of taken the chance on him, the concept of signing a player with Federal charges against him isn't publicity any team would welcome. It would take a very strong need to sign him.

I hate Bonds. I am glad at what is happening to him. But to say he isn't a valuable asset, especially to an AL team would be lying. He had a OPS+ of 170 last year. 156 before that. He almost got on base half the time in the past two years. When he would get a hit, which was about 27 percent of the time, there was more than a 35 percent chance that hit was a home run or double. Those are great on base and slugging numbers.

Again, screw Bonds. But he has been a pretty productive player, even if he was limited to a 130 and 126 games the past two years. Which on an AL team could be more.

fquaye149
03-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Thome had a whole 100 more at bats than Bonds last year:rolleyes:

Frontman
03-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Oh I agree that Bonds could be an asset to any AL team needed a power DH, but his pluses don't outweigh the minuses. Who wants the circus of media; as well as the Federal investigators; sniffing around their team?

fquaye149
03-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Oh I agree that Bonds could be an asset to any AL team needed a power DH, but his pluses don't outweigh the minuses. Who wants the circus of media; as well as the Federal investigators; sniffing around their team?

Well, for instance, a team like the Yankees who doesn't have a DH who can give A-Rod the kind of protection Bonds can...a team full of discordant personalities that are used to media circuses... If they signed Bonds they could push Damon out of the lineup and move Matsui back to left.

That would give them a lineup of

Jeter
Abreu
Bonds
A-Rod
Matsui
Posada
Giambi
Cano
Cabrera

I think if I were Cashman I might have considered very strongly offering an incentive heavy deal if I could guarantee that the two hitters (Abreu and Bonds) in front of A-Rod would get on base at a 40% and 45% rate, respectively...

Or a team like the Mariners who have Jose Vidro at DH, who just traded away a lot of players for Erik Bedard in a bid to compete sooner than later

Or a team like the A's who are always looking for players who will produce over their market price and who have proven they encourage steroid use

...you know, for instance

white sox bill
03-20-2008, 09:06 AM
I think with me, its more he's somewhat a deplorable human being. I don't wish anything bad on anyone even though thier demise may be from thier own devices. If Barry were up front on the PED thing, I'd respect him a lot more. We are a forgiving people who are honest with us. Hell, yrs ago the residents of Wash. DC re-elected Mayor Barry despite he was caught on tape smoking crack. Clinton has received redemption from a large percent of us from his scandel.

Barry, you should have come clean. Bad call on your part thinking this whole thing was going to be swept under the carpet. Ditto with Roger.

daveeym
03-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Well, for instance, a team like the Yankees who doesn't have a DH who can give A-Rod the kind of protection Bonds can...a team full of discordant personalities that are used to media circuses... If they signed Bonds they could push Damon out of the lineup and move Matsui back to left.

That would give them a lineup of

Jeter
Abreu
Bonds
A-Rod
Matsui
Posada
Giambi
Cano
Cabrera

I think if I were Cashman I might have considered very strongly offering an incentive heavy deal if I could guarantee that the two hitters (Abreu and Bonds) in front of A-Rod would get on base at a 40% and 45% rate, respectively...

Or a team like the Mariners who have Jose Vidro at DH, who just traded away a lot of players for Erik Bedard in a bid to compete sooner than later

Or a team like the A's who are always looking for players who will produce over their market price and who have proven they encourage steroid use

...you know, for instance I'm sure Barry's just begging people for an incentive laden deal. Big Head Barry is asking for 10 million or so is my guess.

fquaye149
03-20-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm sure Barry's just begging people for an incentive laden deal. Big Head Barry is asking for 10 million or so is my guess.

No one has offered him anything is the point.

It's not that he hasn't ACCEPTED any deals, it's that there's no word anyone is even giving him offers.

The dude wants to play, from what the reports say. Apparently he has said he'll go to Japan if he doesn't get an offer there. Now, Japan will extradite to the US, so it seems to me the dude wants to play...

TwinKess
03-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Also consider that the GMs might not want to sign someone their OWN fans are almost certain to boo.

AZChiSoxFan
03-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Player's union will tell you that there is no War going on in Iraq right now.

Even worse is that the players would believe it.

goofymsfan
03-20-2008, 12:19 PM

As a Mariner's fan....We don't want the Bond's circus in town. While an upgrade in production from Vidro would be nice, there are other places to look than bring the circus to town.

fquaye149
03-20-2008, 12:57 PM
As a Mariner's fan....We don't want the Bond's circus in town. While an upgrade in production from Vidro would be nice, there are other places to look than bring the circus to town.

I bet as a Mariners fan you would like to win the AL West

Look--I'm not saying those teams SHOULD sign Bonds. I'm just surprised none of them have even considered signing Bonds.

goofymsfan
03-20-2008, 01:54 PM
I bet as a Mariners fan you would like to win the AL West

Look--I'm not saying those teams SHOULD sign Bonds. I'm just surprised none of them have even considered signing Bonds.

I'm not saying that I don't want the M's to win the AL West, I certainly do, however, the media circus would be very distracting to the team as a whole and could be a detriment over all.

fquaye149
03-20-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm not saying that I don't want the M's to win the AL West, I certainly do, however, the media circus would be very distracting to the team as a whole and could be a detriment over all.

It's totally possible. Bavasi's not wrong at all not to sign Bonds. You would just think SOMEONE in the AL would, that's all.

EndemicSox
03-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Only a ruthless SOB would give Bonds a job at this point. With that being said, he is still one of the most valuable players in the game due to his OBP, and I have to think he will get a job.

goofymsfan
03-20-2008, 02:39 PM
It's totally possible. Bavasi's not wrong at all not to sign Bonds. You would just think SOMEONE in the AL would, that's all.

While his value as a player may still be reasonable, I don't know that teams that are trying to win their divisions would want to put up with all the negatives that would come along with signing him. About the only teams that I think might sign him just to get some butts in the seats are teams like Tampa Bay and Kansas City.

NardiWasHere
03-20-2008, 04:33 PM
While his value as a player may still be reasonable, I don't know that teams that are trying to win their divisions would want to put up with all the negatives that would come along with signing him. About the only teams that I think might sign him just to get some butts in the seats are teams like Tampa Bay and Kansas City.

There was a lot of rumbling about him ending up in TB, but I just wouldn't understand it.

Earlier, Crawford and others were mentioning how greatly improved the clubhouse is this year. Now, why would a team like that sign Bonds after making an effort to get rid of guys like Dukes?

Also... (it might just be me)... but how much effect does Bonds really have at the gate? I mean, I wouldn't base my decision on whether to go to games on Bonds. He isn't likable, he isn't pursuing the record anymore, he wont be on a team with fans that have grown attatched to him...

What do I not understand?

fquaye149
03-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Only a ruthless SOB would give Bonds a job at this point. With that being said, he is still one of the most valuable players in the game due to his OBP, and I have to think he will get a job.

What part of being a GM demands pity ("ruth")?

EndemicSox
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
What part of being a GM demands pity ("ruth")?

Yeah, wrong choice of word, too much vicodin has gone to my brain today. I guess I meant to say, only an owner with borderline ethics would give him a shot at this point in time. If anyone out there didn't give a crap about the potential PR hit, he would have been signed months ago...

It wouldn't surprise me if the owners have agreed to stay away from Bonds, but I don't find fault with their reasoning if that is the case...

kevin57
03-20-2008, 06:24 PM
It seems that everyone is assuming that no one's even made an offer to Bonds, but reading in-between the lines of something BB said, I suspect he has been offered 'something,' but knowing this guy's arrogance he expects big $$$ and lots of clubhouse perks that a GM would have to be insane to sign.

goofymsfan
03-20-2008, 11:47 PM
There was a lot of rumbling about him ending up in TB, but I just wouldn't understand it.

Earlier, Crawford and others were mentioning how greatly improved the clubhouse is this year. Now, why would a team like that sign Bonds after making an effort to get rid of guys like Dukes?

Also... (it might just be me)... but how much effect does Bonds really have at the gate? I mean, I wouldn't base my decision on whether to go to games on Bonds. He isn't likable, he isn't pursuing the record anymore, he wont be on a team with fans that have grown attatched to him...

What do I not understand?

Some people would show up just to boo and taunt him. I honestly feel that the teams are doing the best thing for themselves by not offering him a contract.

Frontman
03-21-2008, 12:42 AM
God's honest truth

If the Sox signed him, I would not attend a game while he is on the roster. As much as I love the Sox, I can't stand the guy that much. He's a miserable human being, his attitude is deplorable, his actions were unforgivable, his belief that his record "isn't tainted" is laughable, and he is the only athlete that I would love to see get a career ending injury.

Yeah, I hate that guy THAT much.