PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox boycott trip, to begin season 0-2 ?

SoxyStu
03-19-2008, 10:34 AM
They aren't the only team who was scheduled to go to Japan. What's going on with the As? Are they in the same boat? Or, did Francona simply open his big mouth and promise other people's money to his staff? This article didn't even bother asking Geren or any rep from the As.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBA_RED_SOX_BOYCOTT?SITE=IADES&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

FedEx227
03-19-2008, 10:37 AM
They aren't the only team who was scheduled to go to Japan. What's going on with the As? Are they in the same boat? Or, did Francona simply open his big mouth and promise other people's money to his staff? This article didn't even bother asking Geren or any rep from the As.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBA_RED_SOX_BOYCOTT?SITE=IADES&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I've heard through reports that the A's were also a bit pissed by the lack of payment to their staff.

Mr.1Dog
03-19-2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/sports/15641154/detail.html
Poor you Terry.:whiner:

getonbckthr
03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
I agree with the Red Sox stance here. However I hope they discussed this with the Athletics because Oakland will look bad if they don't share the concern with Boston.

soxfan13
03-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Actually my understanding of this is the players are taking this stance because part of them agreeing to go was that the coaches and staff got the same money. If thats the case I actually think its pretty stand up of the players.

Mr.1Dog
03-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Sorry mods...I didn't see this posted. Please merge/close

ilsox7
03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
I give the Red Sox props on this issue.

skottyj242
03-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I think it's a good think they're doing. Would the world come to an end if the Red Sox started 0-2?

Oblong
03-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Who is supposed to be paying this? The Red Sox or the league?

I heard just a bit on the radio, sounds like they were told everything would be taken care of and they'd all get hte stipend, but then they started taking things away once the details were ironed out.

Somebody will cave in and they'll get their money. The players won't back down.

itsnotrequired
03-19-2008, 11:36 AM
They have refused to take the field for today's game as well.

BringBackBlkJack
03-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Props to the BoSox. We hear so much about players acting solely in self-interest.. it's nice to see them collectively standing up for those who are less compensated then they are.

Jerko
03-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't agree with them sitting out the ST game after the fans were already in the ballpark. I guess it's ok for them (the fans) to lose out on their money.

Are these coaches buying their own plane tickets to Japan or paying for their own hotels? Isn't coaching the first 2 games of the year something that is covered in their annual salaries? That said, they DO deserve some $$$ because IIRC they are going out there for 18 days to play exhibitions and run camps and stuff. Who knows. Maybe we should just play the games in the USA from now on. Bobby Valentine is already bitching that these games are being played at the same time as the Japanese league openers.

hi im skot
03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't agree with them sitting out the ST game after the fans were already in the ballpark. I guess it's ok for them (the fans) to lose out on their money.

Are these coaches buying their own plane tickets to Japan or paying for their own hotels? Isn't coaching the first 2 games of the year something that is covered in their annual salaries? That said, they DO deserve some $$$ because IIRC they are going out there for 18 days to play exhibitions and run camps and stuff. Who knows. Maybe we should just play the games in the USA from now on. Bobby Valentine is already bitching that these games are being played at the same time as the Japanese league openers.

This article (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/19/red_sox_threatening_japan_boycott_if_staff_isnt_pa id/) says the Red Sox will sign autographs if the game doesn't happen.

JermaineDye05
03-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I've heard through reports that the A's were also a bit pissed by the lack of payment to their staff.

Yeah but nobody cares about the A's. Especially when the Red Sox are pissed off.

South Side Irish
03-19-2008, 12:11 PM

I thought this, too, but if the players are getting money, and the coaches were TOLD they would, then didn't... then that's just ****ty. Why should players get paid and the coaches shouldn't? Regardless of if they're doing more work or not - the players are getting extra - they should, too!

The Immigrant
03-19-2008, 12:16 PM
They should also demand that the payments be in yen.

Jerko
03-19-2008, 12:19 PM
I thought this, too, but if the players are getting money, and the coaches were TOLD they would, then didn't... then that's just ****ty. Why should players get paid and the coaches shouldn't? Regardless of if they're doing more work or not - the players are getting extra - they should, too!

I just read it was a "verbal" agreement? What kind of business is that?

Anyway, I would respect the players more if they all threw their 40 grand into a pot and split it up between the coaches and staff if this is such a major issue to them. I hope they start 0-2 and miss the playoffs by a game.

Rocky Soprano
03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Looks like it has been resolved. They are playing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080319/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_red_sox_boycott

Chicken Dinner
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Ans who's paying for this POS to go?????

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3300693&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

asg2003ws2005
03-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Ans who's paying for this POS to go?????

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3300693&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines
i think he's the union rep

pierzynski07
03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
I just read it was a "verbal" agreement? What kind of business is that?

Anyway, I would respect the players more if they all threw their 40 grand into a pot and split it up between the coaches and staff if this is such a major issue to them. I hope they start 0-2 and miss the playoffs by a game.
Start 0-2 and miss the playoffs by a game. How oddly specific.

MLB makes an agreement, and then backed off of it. That's low. The Red Sox had every right to threaten a boycot.

Jerko
03-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Start 0-2 and miss the playoffs by a game. How oddly specific.

MLB makes an agreement, and then backed off of it. That's low. The Red Sox had every right to threaten a boycot.

***????? It's not like I said 1/2 game.

IMO they could boycott the extra-cirricular **** in Japan. Those 2 games that count though, they're already being paid for.

pdimas
03-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Just heard on the radio that the issue was resolved and that they are going to play the game then board the plane to Japan afterwards fwiw

pierzynski07
03-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Who said it would have been an automatic forfit?

skottyj242
03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Just heard on the radio that the issue was resolved and that they are going to play the game then board the plane to Japan afterwards fwiw

You better be ready to play at 7 tonight. We can become champions tonight.

Fenway
03-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Who said it would have been an automatic forfit?

Alan Embree told the Boston Globe Oakland would have refused to go as well.

Off to Japan we go

Tekijawa
03-19-2008, 01:28 PM
This is just a case of the Red Sox being Manny!

soxfan13
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
This is just a case of the Red Sox being Manny!

no i think its a case of players not thinking of themselves for once. If this was the White Sox the players would be lauded here for being great guys.

Fenway
03-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Of course not everybody is so supportive of the Red Sox' stance in this matter. Take the Journal News' Peter Abraham for instance:

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2008/03/19/no-justice-no-peace-in-fort-myers/