PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Reader would put Fields at 2B

Rockabilly
03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
http://blogs.chicagoreader.com/sports/2008/03/17/ozzie-takes-his-lumps-where/

what do you all think about the lineup that they had...

JermaineDye05
03-17-2008, 05:20 PM
This has got to be the same guy who called the score and asked Steve Stone about putting Josh at 2nd. Not going to happen, totally different position.

And I thought putting Josh at first was crazy enough...

jabrch
03-17-2008, 05:32 PM
If you seek out sports knowledge in the Reader, then bless you.

No bleeping way. He'd be a disaster at 2B. He doesn't have the range to play a MI spot based on anything we have seen of him.

Cuck the Fubs
03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
http://blogs.chicagoreader.com/sports/2008/03/17/ozzie-takes-his-lumps-where/

what do you all think about the lineup that they had...

Works great on my PS3 :redneck

thomas35forever
03-17-2008, 06:00 PM
If his defense sucks in the corner, what makes him think moving him over's gonna do any better? Plus, 7th between Crede and AJ? No freakin' way.

Lip Man 1
03-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Well he made another error today and with less then two weeks to go it's getting to be time to start playing the regulars and getting them set. Looking over the stats I see where Richar has played in 3 games (that count in the spring), Owens 6 and Quentin 6.

They need to start playing and getting at bats...if they can't because of injuries, then Ozzie has to basically decide if they are starting the season in Charlotte and start putting out his 'opening day' lineup. It's close to "time to fish or cut bait" with them.

Lip

Juice16
03-17-2008, 06:18 PM
If his defense suck in the corner so that you dont want to try him at 2B, then why are we shopping Crede again?

Lip Man 1
03-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Juice:

Because the Sox have NO choice...zero, none, nada.

Joe's agent has made it perfectly clear that at the end of the season he walks away. Period.

You either trade him for something, anything, even scrub minor league prospects or at the end of the year you get absolutely nothing for him.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Lip

TomBradley72
03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Juice:

Joe's agent has made it perfectly clear that at the end of the season he walks away. Period.

You either trade him for something, anything, even scrub minor league prospects or at the end of the year you get absolutely nothing for him.

Lip

I'd rather have Crede's glove and offensive production (especially if he can put up 2006 numbers) for one year and lose him to FA...then trade him for mediocre prospects and have Fields defense to deal with all season. Especially with Swisher in CF...that's one ugly defensive team.

We didn't sign Dye, AJ, Beuhrle, Vazquez, etc. to "build for the future"...this roster is designed to go for it this year. I believe Crede at 3B give us the best a chance to come out ahead with that strategy.

If either Crede or Thome get injured...Fields will get his chance anyway.

Railsplitter
03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
I didn't even know the Reader covered sports.

RowanDye
03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
I'd rather have Crede's glove and offensive production (especially if he can put up 2006 numbers) for one year and lose him to FA...then trade him for mediocre prospects and have Fields defense to deal with all season. Especially with Swisher in CF...that's one ugly defensive team.

We didn't sign Dye, AJ, Beuhrle, Vazquez, etc. to "build for the future"...this roster is designed to go for it this year. I believe Crede at 3B give us the best a chance to come out ahead with that strategy.

I've become more and more convinced that KW plays things more in the middle of the road. He's not playing for broke, at least not as much as he might lead people to believe through some of his comments in the media.

Beuhrle, Vazquez, and Swisher should be solid for years to come. Dye and AJ did not cost very much. Quentin, Ramirez, and Floyd were all moves made for the future. KW's set the Sox up to have an outside chance in '08, but hopefully a more realistic chance in '09.

To me it looks more like KW is trying to turn the team over without dumping everyone (i.e. the fans) and rebuilding.

If he has a chance to get something decent for Crede, I do not see him hesitating. At the very least, it will be one less Boras client for them to deal with. And I do not underestimate that as a motivation.

KenBerryGrab
03-17-2008, 08:45 PM
The initial question is silly, though. What's the score?

Tragg
03-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Dye, AJ, Beuhrle and Vazquez aren't signed to 1 year contracts. Swisher is young and Quentin and Richar are young. This isn't a 1 year go for it now setup.
And then look at the result of the Cabrera trade. What's the difference between 2b and SS offensively from 2006 to 2007? Not much: Cabrera replaces Iguchi which, if anything, is a downgrade. Oh, and we sent Jon Garland to Anaheim for the privilege of downgrading our offense.

The only thing that made that trade the least palatable (and actually a good one ) were the draft choices that will come with Cabrera. Long term gain (as long as we accept the choices); but short term, that trade made the Sox decidedly worse off.

Now we have one of the worst hitting 2nd baseman in the majors in our starting lineup. Part because of injuries, part because of the immense preference of mediocre veterans over young players, Uribe will start, despite being in Guillen's doghouse last year. Uribe needed to be off of this roster.

Brian26
03-17-2008, 09:05 PM
The craziest thing about that Reader article is the fact that the writer has Swisher sitting on the bench for Opening Day.

First of all, you don't play matchups with a guy like Swisher. Second, you don't bench your biggest off-season acquisition on Opening Day.

DumpJerry
03-17-2008, 09:29 PM
I didn't even know the Reader covered sports.
It doesn't. They cover the Cubs.

jabrch
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Juice:

Lip

Lip, why can't we play him at 3B and see if his value goes up? Worst case, we lose out on "scrub minor league prospects"...

DickAllen72
03-17-2008, 10:15 PM
I wish we could trade both Crede and Fields for a third baseman who fields like Crede and hits like Fields! :tongue:

Lip Man 1
03-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Jab:

We certainly can start the year with him but my point was that he won't be in Chicago at season's end.

He won't re-sign so the Sox have no choice...now or later, it's inevitable.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
I'd rather have Crede's glove and offensive production (especially if he can put up 2006 numbers) for one year and lose him to FA...then trade him for mediocre prospects and have Fields defense to deal with all season.Here's a time when the then/than mix up completely changes the meaning of the sentence. I was almost going to reply "but if the Sox keep him for the season, they won't be able to trade him; he'll be a free agent." Then I realized what you were trying to say.

Carolina Kenny
03-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Even if Crede has a "Brandon Inge" type year he is a better choice than Fields to play third. Play Joe and accept that he will be gone at year's end or sooner. Play Joe as long as the Sox are in contention. Send Josh down to AAA and have him work hard on his defense.

I see nothing wrong in having the infield of the future, Fields, Rameriz and Richtar working as a unit in AAA.

Bring the infield of the future up when the future is more important. At this exact moment we are tied for first place with everyone else and we need to play for this year.

areilly
03-18-2008, 09:48 AM
It doesn't. They cover the Cubs.

I think Cox actually devotes the most energy and word count to the Bulls, but his piece at the end of the Sox' 2006 seasons was one of the best sports stories I've ever read anywhere.

"Winning changes everything, especially losing."

BainesHOF
03-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Playing Fields at second base is the single most idiotic thing I've read concerning the Sox in a very, very long time.

thomas35forever
03-18-2008, 05:29 PM
I wish we could trade both Crede and Fields for a third baseman who fields like Crede and hits like Fields! :tongue:
I'd rather have an outfielder who runs like Mays, but hits like ****.:redneck