PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf Desperate to Abandon Tucson

Viva Medias B's
03-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Didn't see this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080315&content_id=2429203&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) posted so...

Jerry Reinsdorf is trying desperately to move the White Sox spring training base from Tucson to Glendale. I think Jerry believes that he can just "pay off" Pima County so that he can pull the White Sox up to the Valley. Currently, the White Sox are bound to Tucson through 2012 and can only leave early if they find a team to replace them at the Kino Sports Complex. Evidently, Reinsdorf is planning to see if he can circumvent the terms of the lease.

I know I am well in the minority on this issue, but I want us to remain in Tucson. Tucson is a nice, quiet community that does not have the congestion of the Phoenix area. Starting with my first visit here in 1999, I have fallen in love with this place considering it my second home. This community is much better and friendlier than the Phoenix area. And don't give me that tired, old "There ain't nothing to do in Tucson" crap, either. I will never understand anti-Tucson hatred, mostly propagated by those in the Valley.

If Jerry wants to pack up and go to Glendale, let him. He can stop the White Sox from coming here to Tucson, but he can't stop me from coming here. I don't need the White Sox at Tucson Electric Park to enjoy March visits here. And I don't have to drive all the way up to Glendale to see them. There are plenty of non-White Sox things I'm involved with here to occupy my time.

KRS1
03-16-2008, 10:26 PM
This community is much better and friendlier than the Phoenix area.

That is an (your) opinion, not a fact.

LoveYourSuit
03-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Didn't see this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080315&content_id=2429203&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) posted so...

Jerry Reinsdorf is trying desperately to move the White Sox spring training base from Tucson to Glendale. I think Jerry believes that he can just "pay off" Pima County so that he can pull the White Sox up to the Valley. Currently, the White Sox are bound to Tucson through 2012 and can only leave early if they find a team to replace them at the Kino Sports Complex. Evidently, Reinsdorf is planning to see if he can circumvent the terms of the lease.

I know I am well in the minority on this issue, but I want us to remain in Tucson. Tucson is a nice, quiet community that does not have the congestion of the Phoenix area. Starting with my first visit here in 1999, I have fallen in love with this place considering it my second home. This community is much better and friendlier than the Phoenix area. And don't give me that tired, old "There ain't nothing to do in Tucson" crap, either. I will never understand anti-Tucson hatred, mostly propagated by those in the Valley.

If Jerry wants to pack up and go to Glendale, let him. He can stop the White Sox from coming here to Tucson, but he can't stop me from coming here. I don't need the White Sox at Tucson Electric Park to enjoy March visits here. And I don't have to drive all the way up to Glendale to see them. There are plenty of non-White Sox things I'm involved with here to occupy my time.

I could pay 1/2 for airfare flying to Phoenix compared to Tucson.

Make the move, pay the lease buy out, and make us Sox fans happy.

I want Mags back
03-16-2008, 10:32 PM
well my cousin lives in Glendale, a 5 minute walk from where the park will be (I think the park will be in the same complex area as U of Phoenix Stadium and Jobing.com Arena). So I can't wait for the move

LoveYourSuit
03-16-2008, 10:40 PM
well my cousin lives in Glendale, a 5 minute walk from where the park will be (I think the park will be in the same complex area as U of Phoenix Stadium and Jobing.com Arena). So I can't wait for the move

Really?

Overhead shots from the Superbowl really didn't paint a pretty picture of the surroundings there...... just a bunch of empty land and parking lots.

I could be wrong

munchman33
03-16-2008, 10:54 PM

We play second fiddle in that park in every way. I don't care how nice the area might or might not be. It is in the White Sox best interest to leave if it's possible.

Fenway
03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
I never want to see Glendale, Arizona ever again :whiner:

I want Mags back
03-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Really?

Overhead shots from the Superbowl really didn't paint a pretty picture of the surroundings there...... just a bunch of empty land and parking lots.

I could be wrong
maybe it was a 10 minute walk, i donno I havent done it since 04

michned
03-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Really?

I could be wrong

Glendale is in boom mode. All that empty land will be developed within five years.

It's inevitable they're going to Glendale, and I always assumed they would pay their way out of the lease (or have Glendale help them pay), so whether it's next year or four years from now, I've made my peace with it.

MisterB
03-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Actually it will be a little southwest of there, in an area just south of Glendale Airport. The address given places it at 107th and Camelback.

We play second fiddle in that park in every way. I don't care how nice the area might or might not be. It is in the White Sox best interest to leave if it's possible.

The question is how will it be different in Glendale? The complex is basically being hyped as "Dodgertown West"; the Sox will still be second fiddle, albeit in a much higher profile orchestra i guess. :dunno:

LoveYourSuit
03-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Glendale is in boom mode. All that empty land will be developed within five years.

It's inevitable they're going to Glendale, and I always assumed they would pay their way out of the lease (or have Glendale help them pay), so whether it's next year or four years from now, I've made my peace with it.

So it's a done deal that only the Sox can take the slot behind the Dodgers, or what if another team in FL decides to take that slot?

Parrothead
03-16-2008, 11:33 PM
That is an (your) opinion, not a fact.

It is my opinon too !

munchman33
03-16-2008, 11:35 PM
The question is how will it be different in Glendale? The complex is basically being hyped as "Dodgertown West"; the Sox will still be second fiddle, albeit in a much higher profile orchestra i guess. :dunno:

That's a pretty big "albeit."

LoveYourSuit
03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
The question is how will it be different in Glendale? The complex is basically being hyped as "Dodgertown West";

"Dodgertown West?"

Wouldn't that be the Pacific Ocean?

Phoenix is East of LA, why would they call it like this?

MisterB
03-16-2008, 11:50 PM
"Dodgertown West?"

Wouldn't that be the Pacific Ocean?

Phoenix is East of LA, why would they call it like this?

But it's west of the Dodgers current ST complex in Vero Beach, FL which is known as Dodgertown.

The point is it's basically going to be a Dodgers theme park, with the Sox likely being invisible in the sea of Dodger blue.

LoveYourSuit
03-17-2008, 12:05 AM
But it's west of the Dodgers current ST complex in Vero Beach, FL which is known as Dodgertown.

The point is it's basically going to be a Dodgers theme park, with the Sox likely being invisible in the sea of Dodger blue.

Got it.... did not realize they named their complex Dodgertown in FL.

FedEx227
03-17-2008, 01:59 AM
Made my first trip to Arizona last week.

In my honest opinion Tucson is a ****hole, get to Glendale, that's a booming area, closer to Phoenix, closer to humanity.

ilsox7
03-17-2008, 02:01 AM

In my honest opinion Tucson is a ****hole, get to Glendale, that's a booming area, closer to Phoenix, closer to humanity.

And closer to other teams who won't consistently bring their B teams to games.

FedEx227
03-17-2008, 02:07 AM
And closer to other teams who won't consistently bring their B teams to games.

Yes, I stayed in Surprise last week... one of the more amazing times of my life. So sweet to wake up, go see a team practice, watch a game at Surprise... or hey, let's drive 10 minutes and go to a game in Peoria.

OR hey... let's drive 2 hours and 45 minutes to see the Sox and the Rockies B-team at a stadium nowhere near as nice as Surprise, Tempe or Peoria's stadiums in an area that was to me pretty worthless.

michned
03-17-2008, 02:25 AM

Tucson's got some beautiful parts of town, but not where the park is. If TEP were in parts of south or central Phoenix, you might think Phoenix is a ****hole.

asg2003ws2005
03-17-2008, 07:08 AM
We play second fiddle in that park in every way. I don't care how nice the area might or might not be. It is in the White Sox best interest to leave if it's possible.oh, and like we wont be second fiddle to the DODGERS?

Fenway
03-17-2008, 07:59 AM
I am sorry but Jerry has no one but himself to blame.

He broke the hearts of many old time White Sox fans who retired to Sarasota which was a town that loved being home of the White Sox.

In Glendale the White Sox will be as second fiddle to the Dodgers as Universal is to Disney in Orlando.

I am friendly with a retired Harvard professor who now is active in Tucson politics and he says no buyout will be considered as they are more concerned about the hotel rooms that will go unsold.

MarySwiss
03-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Again with the Tucson vs. the Valley debate! I have no strong feelings either way about the move and nothing against Tucson, but I have to admit that the only time I even think about Tucson is during Spring Training.

And believe it or not, people who live in the Valley do not sit around bashing Tucson. In fact, I can't remember ever having a Phoenix vs Tucson conversation with anyone. The only place I see this stuff is here--every spring.

Sockinchisox
03-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Tucson's got some beautiful parts of town, but not where the park is. If TEP were in parts of south or central Phoenix, you might think Phoenix is a ****hole.

This is very true, the area around the park is terrible, but the area around Hi Corbett is very good. That whole Broadway street has pretty much everything one would ever need.

Fenway
03-17-2008, 11:55 AM
My friend lives off Old Spanish Trail near Vail and loves it. Is that anywhere near the park?

LITTLE NELL
03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I am sorry but Jerry has no one but himself to blame.

He broke the hearts of many old time White Sox fans who retired to Sarasota which was a town that loved being home of the White Sox.

In Glendale the White Sox will be as second fiddle to the Dodgers as Universal is to Disney in Orlando.

I am friendly with a retired Harvard professor who now is active in Tucson politics and he says no buyout will be considered as they are more concerned about the hotel rooms that will go unsold.
Amen to the Florida part. How I wish they would move back to the Sunshine State.

michned
03-17-2008, 12:34 PM
My friend lives off Old Spanish Trail near Vail and loves it. Is that anywhere near the park?

No, that is about 15 miles to the east (and another beautiful area). Your friend wouldn't happen to live in the development that caters to retired educators, would he? I think it's called Academic Village or something and it's a planned community catering to academics (i.e. they have a lecture series, a full research library on premises, etc). Pretty neat idea.

The area around the park is pretty desolate. It's county property so the only thing around is the old county hospital next door, and the county juvenile facilities across the street. A bit beyond and it's either industrial or higher crime areas. The city and county couldn't agree on the downtown location where it needed to be built so the county just decided to build it on their land.

Fenway
03-17-2008, 12:39 PM
No, that is about 15 miles to the east (and another beautiful area). Your friend wouldn't happen to live in the development that caters to retired educators, would he? I think it's called Academic Village or something and it's a planned community catering to academics (i.e. they have a lecture series, a full research library on premises, etc). Pretty neat idea.

The area around the park is pretty desolate. It's county property so the only thing around is the old county hospital next door, and the county juvenile facilities across the street. A bit beyond and it's either industrial or higher crime areas. The city and county couldn't agree on the downtown location where it needed to be built so the county just decided to build it on their land.

Exactly where he is

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Well, I have cousins in Tucson, so I was considering going to ST there this year (until my mom got cancer). Plus, I'd like to be able to see my second favorite team, the Rockies. If/when they move to Glendale, I probably won't have enough incentive to go, but if they stay in Tucson, I'll try to go next year.

HomeFish
03-17-2008, 01:02 PM

Hey, we won a World Series with our park covered with Dodger blue. JR was a Dodgers fan growing up, and I've heard that the seats were blue because of that.

Lip Man 1
03-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Home:

You are correct.

Lip

AZChiSoxFan
03-17-2008, 01:34 PM

First of all, my personal experience tells me that people from Tucson hate Phx ten times more than Phoenicians hate Tucson.

As for me personally, do a little research into what happened in the 1950's when ASU was trying to gain university status through the board of regents and how Tucson and U of A fought them tooth and nail all the way. So, to answer your question, that's where my hatred for Tucson comes from.

Plus, I live in the greater Phx area, so for me it means not having to travel as far to see the Sox in ST.

AZChiSoxFan
03-17-2008, 01:38 PM
And believe it or not, people who live in the Valley do not sit around bashing Tucson. In fact, I can't remember ever having a Phoenix vs Tucson conversation with anyone. The only place I see this stuff is here--every spring.

Spot on, Mary. Again, from my experience, most people in the Phx area rarely give Tucson a 2nd thought (or even a first one for that matter). People in Tucson seem to obsess about how much they hate Phx.

PatK
03-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Amen to the Florida part. How I wish they would move back to the Sunshine State.

I was steamed when they quit going to camp in Sarasota.

Every year when I was a kid, we'd go down to visit my grandparents in the family home in Florida for Spring Break. We'd always take in one or two Sox games. Maybe a Twins game.

Fenway
03-17-2008, 02:01 PM
I was steamed when they quit going to camp in Sarasota.

Every year when I was a kid, we'd go down to visit my grandparents in the family home in Florida for Spring Break. We'd always take in one or two Sox games. Maybe a Twins game.

I believe if you check the records the White Sox also attracted bigger crowds in Florida.

Of course they will be a second fiddle in Glendale.....they might as well move into Yo Yo Ma Park and share that with the Cubs. At least the Chicago media will be there.

roylestillman
03-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Just got back this morning from ST. I have to admit I used to hate Tucson, but that was because of the I-10 drive from Phoenix (discovered the "backroads" this year.) We stayed in Tucson this time (near Reid Park and Hi Corbett) and my opinion totally changed. I liked the Big City in a small town atmosphere, and the park was easy to get to. Major food upgrades since the last time I was there.

That said, I wish they would move to the Valley. Air fare is cheaper and flight options are more plentiful from PHX. Having to play the Rockies and Diamondbacks endlessly is just not interesting. Mixing it up near Phoenix would make me stay longer

That said again, why Glendale, Arizona's version of Rosemont.

michned
03-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Spot on, Mary. Again, from my experience, most people in the Phx area rarely give Tucson a 2nd thought (or even a first one for that matter). People in Tucson seem to obsess about how much they hate Phx.

Well, as a Tucson resident, I would have to agree 100% with that statement! Not from myself, in fact I live far northwest just so I can have easy access to Phoenix. But you hear it a lot from native Tucsonans more than anything. I think it has a lot to do with the university rivalry and just a natural resentment because Phoenix, being larger, gets more of everything, especially from government. This is way too political to be discussed here but there is plenty of blame to go around in both parts of the state.

soxwon
03-17-2008, 02:52 PM

" i WANT TO REMAIN IN TUCSON"- sorry its not up to you, in glendale we will play more teams, more often.
im tired of playing 20 games against ariz & Colorado.
The more teams we see, the more we are ready.
Enjoy Tucson, it is quite nice, but give me Phoenix anyday.

doublem23
03-17-2008, 03:16 PM
:gah:

Arguing over the Spring Training site? Who cares!

They never should have left Sarasota.

cbotnyse
03-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I never want to see Glendale, Arizona ever again :whiner:why? what happened?

:devil:

Fenway
03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
why? what happened?

Way too many happy New Yorkers :whiner:

TDog
03-17-2008, 06:07 PM
It is my opinon too !

It's also pretty much the consensus opinion in 14 of Arizona's 15 counties.

As for playing second-fiddle to the Dodgers, who will be moving Dodgertown from Vero Beach to Glendale, it seems obvious that the White Sox will be ignored every bit as much as they are in Tucson. In the Valley Media, the Diamondbacks will still get more media coverage because you are close to their regular season home, and even the Cubs will get far more spring coverage.

At least Steelrod posted that he would pick me up at the airport on the east side of the city and deal with the crosstown traffic to Glendale. I hope he wasn't joking.

MarySwiss
03-17-2008, 06:21 PM
why? what happened?

Perfect! :lol:

Fenway
03-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Perfect! :lol:

quiet you

MarySwiss
03-17-2008, 07:46 PM
quiet you

Ahhh, shaddap! You, sir, owe me a beer!

asg2003ws2005
03-17-2008, 08:59 PM

If Jerry wants to pack up and go to Glendale, let him. He can stop the White Sox from coming here to Tucson, but he can't stop me from coming here. I don't need the White Sox at Tucson Electric Park to enjoy March visits here. And I don't have to drive all the way up to Glendale to see them. There are plenty of non-White Sox things I'm involved with here to occupy my time.He's NOT "desperately trying"......he IS moving the sox. it just may not happen till 2012

Viva Medias B's
03-17-2008, 09:07 PM

And you don't think we would play an even bigger second fiddle to the Dodgers in Glendale?

Viva Medias B's
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Yes, I stayed in Surprise last week... one of the more amazing times of my life. So sweet to wake up, go see a team practice, watch a game at Surprise... or hey, let's drive 10 minutes and go to a game in Peoria.

OR hey... let's drive 2 hours and 45 minutes to see the Sox and the Rockies B-team at a stadium nowhere near as nice as Surprise, Tempe or Peoria's stadiums in an area that was to me pretty worthless.

Here we go. Here is someone who stayed in the Valley and bases his narrow judgment against Tucson on a short visit to the Kino Sports Complex off I-10.

AZSoxPosse
03-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Please read the article "Thriller in Glendale" on www.whitesoxinteractive.com (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com) to answer a lot of your questions about location and what the City of Glendale thinks about the Sox moving north from Tucson.

manders_01
03-17-2008, 09:37 PM

I don't hate Tucson but I do think the close vicinity to TEP is pretty desolate. If I had access to more in the area (i.e. I don't know my way around and I've not found an outlet that helps find stuff), it would be nice. My concern with moving to Glendale is $$$. Yeah, I'll save a bit by flying into PHX (although this season, the flight to PHX was only about 50 bucks cheaper than into TUC) but I'll make up the difference and then some when paying for my hotel.

Just got back this morning from ST. I have to admit I used to hate Tucson, but that was because of the I-10 drive from Phoenix (discovered the "backroads" this year.) We stayed in Tucson this time (near Reid Park and Hi Corbett) and my opinion totally changed. I liked the Big City in a small town atmosphere, and the park was easy to get to. Major food upgrades since the last time I was there.

That said, I wish they would move to the Valley. Air fare is cheaper and flight options are more plentiful from PHX. Having to play the Rockies and Diamondbacks endlessly is just not interesting. Mixing it up near Phoenix would make me stay longer

That said again, why Glendale, Arizona's version of Rosemont.

Yesterday was my first time to Hi Corbett. Although the field seemed smaller than TEP, the surroundings were much nicer. The park was gorgeous. Next time I'm in Tucson, I will definitely be checking this area out more.

Parrothead
03-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Please read the article "Thriller in Glendale" on www.whitesoxinteractive.com (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com) to answer a lot of your questions about location and what the City of Glendale thinks about the Sox moving north from Tucson.

Just read the article, sounds like typical PR BS to me. I guess I am in the minority but I like the smaller town (Tucson) better. Less congestion, cool college campus and other stuff within a hour of the City....Tombstone, the Saugaro National Forest, Bisbee & the Queens Mine, Caves and of course BioDome among other things. But Good Ole JR want to move the team so it will be done, it is just of matter of when. Glendale sounds like every other City in America and more expensive. Looks like the last year in Tucson will be my last Spring Training until he or a new owner moves it again when they get a better deal. Maybe we will all get lucky and they will move to Hawaii. (my mistake for saying back to for spring training for the Sox when it was the former San Francisco Seals- I should have said move thier minor league team there like when they had the Hawaii Islanders.)

Lip Man 1
03-17-2008, 11:15 PM
The Sox never conducted spring training in Hawaii.

Lip

Chicken Dinner
03-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Spring training in Tucson is dead, over, and done. Deal with it. And for all those that want the Sox to go back to Florida, WAKE-UP! It's history!!

RadioheadRocks
03-17-2008, 11:31 PM

oh, and like we wont be second fiddle to the DODGERS?

And you don't think we would play an even bigger second fiddle to the Dodgers in Glendale?

Why is reading this thread giving me the feeling it's Ground Hog Day??? :dunno:

Sockinchisox
03-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Reindorf's plan: A year-round youth baseball tourney, that the Sox would support.

http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/230117

Steelrod
03-18-2008, 05:22 AM
It's also pretty much the consensus opinion in 14 of Arizona's 15 counties.

As for playing second-fiddle to the Dodgers, who will be moving Dodgertown from Vero Beach to Glendale, it seems obvious that the White Sox will be ignored every bit as much as they are in Tucson. In the Valley Media, the Diamondbacks will still get more media coverage because you are close to their regular season home, and even the Cubs will get far more spring coverage.

At least Steelrod posted that he would pick me up at the airport on the east side of the city and deal with the crosstown traffic to Glendale. I hope he wasn't joking.
Book it!

Viva Medias B's
03-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Reindorf's plan: A year-round youth baseball tourney, that the Sox would support.

http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/230117

Will it pump the Sox' share of the estimated $30M that spring training pumps into Tucson's economy? No. While I do think Pima County officials should look at this, I think they should also hold the White Sox to the lease they signed.

And back to the Tucson/Phoenix thing, I should point out that Maricopa County established an authority by which it could provide sweetheart incentives to lure teams there. In other words, Maricopa County's modus operandi is "Let's steal teams from Florida and Tucson."

Meanwhile, Pima County has finally seen the light of day and is moving toward forming (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/byauthor/228236) its own authority.

C-Dawg
03-18-2008, 07:41 AM
OR hey... let's drive 2 hours and 45 minutes to see the Sox and the Rockies ....

People make it seem like its an epic journey to get from Phoenix to Tucson. I never gave the drive a second thought - its like driving to Milwaukee but going much faster. Set the cruise control to 85-90 and let it fly. It not like going all the way across the state.

MarySwiss
03-18-2008, 07:48 AM
People make it seem like its an epic journey to get from Phoenix to Tucson. I never gave the drive a second thought - its like driving to Milwaukee but going much faster. Set the cruise control to 85-90 and let it fly. It not like going all the way across the state.

Well, it kind of depends on where you are in the Valley. I can make it to Tucson in about an hour and change from Chandler, but if you're in Sun City or Glendale or someplace like that, tack on another hour or so at least, esp. since you have to slow down when you're going into or around Phoenix. The 75 mph speed limit doesn't kick in until you're on the way out of the Chandler/Tempe area and headed toward Tucson.

TDog
03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Will it pump the Sox' share of the estimated $30M that spring training pumps into Tucson's economy? No. While I do think Pima County officials should look at this, I think they should also hold the White Sox to the lease they signed.

And back to the Tucson/Phoenix thing, I should point out that Maricopa County established an authority by which it could provide sweetheart incentives to lure teams there. In other words, Maricopa County's modus operandi is "Let's steal teams from Florida and Tucson."

Meanwhile, Pima County has finally seen the light of day and is moving toward forming (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/byauthor/228236) its own authority.

Under Arizona's first woman governor (the description is used to show the passing of time, as Arizona is now on their third woman governor), the state seemed to be behind recruiting teams from Florida when the Cactus League seemed imperiled with the Indians abandoning Tucson. The first team Maricopa County successfully pursued, in the name of restoring the spring baseball lost from Tucson, was the Padres, who trained in Yuma.

asg2003ws2005
03-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Please read the article "Thriller in Glendale" on www.whitesoxinteractive.com (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com) to answer a lot of your questions about location and what the City of Glendale thinks about the Sox moving north from Tucson.reads like a presser