PDA

View Full Version : Personal feelings.

SoxWillWin
03-16-2008, 10:34 AM
So shortly after yesterdays game I got into a conversation with a cubs fan friend of mine who went on to point out that the cubs barely had any of thier starters in place for the game, so of course the sox won.

I on the other hand see it this way.

Perhaps Lou still has too many unanswered questions and isn't fully confident in his "Opening day" lineup, and is still evaluating.

While the sox are already getting the "opening day" lineup use to real game situations.

The sox just look far more prepared to start opening day than the Cubs do IMHO...Thoughts?

pierzynski07
03-16-2008, 10:47 AM
For the Sox? who plays in the outfield next to Swisher and Dye? Who plays third? Who plays second?

For the Cubs? who plays center?

From a position perspective, those are the questions that need to be answered.

Jjav829
03-16-2008, 10:48 AM
So shortly after yesterdays game I got into a conversation with a cubs fan friend of mine who went on to point out that the cubs barely had any of thier starters in place for the game, so of course the sox won.

Perhaps Lou still has too many unanswered questions and isn't fully confident in his "Opening day" lineup, and is still evaluating.

While the sox are already getting the "opening day" lineup use to real game situations.

The sox just look far more prepared to start opening day than the Cubs do IMHO...Thoughts?

That's a ridiculous notion. I'm quite certain that Lou is pretty comfortable with Derrek Lee at 1B, Aramis Ramirez at 3B and Alfonso Soriano in LF. If the Sox had played Eldred at 1B, Negron in RF, and Bourgeois in CF, would you really think that Ozzie isn't fully confident in Konerko, Dye and Swisher?

You should probably quit this argument with your friend while you're behind.

dickallen15
03-16-2008, 10:51 AM
The White Sox had a ton of questions coming into spring training, and I don't think those questions really get answered until the games really count. Plus they play in a much tougher division, they really have no slack. They can't be like the Cubs last year and stink the place up for a couple of months and still have a shot.

SoxWillWin
03-16-2008, 10:52 AM
That's a ridiculous notion. I'm quite certain that Lou is pretty comfortable with Derrek Lee at 1B, Aramis Ramirez at 3B and Alfonso Soriano in LF. If the Sox had played Eldred at 1B, Negron in RF, and Bourgeois in CF, would you really think that Ozzie isn't fully confident in Konerko, Dye and Swisher?

You should probably quit this argument with your friend while your behind.

your certain of how Lou feels because??? Your great buddies...concede the fact that none of us know what these two managers feel or don't feel.

My opinion is quite plausible.

The Critic
03-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I think the Cubs don't have any problems with who's playing where, other than CF, but they do seem a little unsure of the batting order.
This can be a pretty large problem for them, especially the uncertainty about the leadoff and #2 hitter.
If the Roberts trade doesn't happen, it seems they'll scramble for Plan B.
Soriano at #2 is a ridiculous idea.

Jjav829
03-16-2008, 11:01 AM
your certain of how Lou feels because??? Your great buddies...concede the fact that none of us know what these two managers feel or don't feel.

My opinion is quite plausible.

It's Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano!!!! They are among the best players in the game at their position. And you really think Lou is considering starting Micah Hoffpauir, a 28-year-old career minor leaguer, Casey McGehee, and Matt Murton (his starters yesterday) at their respective positions? That's not plausible at all. You likely won't find another person on this site who agrees with that.

So, to get this straight, if Ozzie doesn't start the same lineup from yesterday until the end of Spring Training, does that mean he doesn't have faith in his Opening Day lineup?

fquaye149
03-16-2008, 11:11 AM

You should probably quit this argument with your friend while you're behind.

What about his rear end?

[/kittle]

fquaye149
03-16-2008, 11:13 AM
It's Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano!!!! They are among the best players in the game at their position. And you really think Lou is considering starting Micah Hoffpauir, a 28-year-old career minor leaguer, Casey McGehee, and Matt Murton (his starters yesterday) at their respective positions? That's not plausible at all. You likely won't find another person on this site who agrees with that.

So, to get this straight, if Ozzie doesn't start the same lineup from yesterday until the end of Spring Training, does that mean he doesn't have faith in his Opening Day lineup?

Come on JJav--this is a guy who's arguing with a friend about what the results of a single spring training game say about the teams' likely 2008 seasons.

You really think reason's going to work?

Jjav829
03-16-2008, 11:18 AM
What about his rear end?

[/kittle]

Huh? :?::whistle::D:

SoxWillWin
03-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Oh I forgot. Everyone has them winning the division so he can take his stars for granted and let them drink Chai's on the bench. At this point in spring my scrubs would be gone and my starters would be getting ready for the season.

and at no point did I say that he'd be starting anyone over anyone..I love how people take the words.."Unanswered questions" and run them into a laundry list of OMG your wrong....

Lou having unanswered questions is COMPLETELY plausible and I haven't seen anything to make me believe otherwise.....

itsnotrequired
03-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh I forgot. Everyone has them winning the division so he can take his stars for granted and let them drink Chai's on the bench. At this point in spring my scrubs would be gone and my starters would be getting ready for the season.

and at no point did I say that he'd be starting anyone over anyone..I love how people take the words.."Unanswered questions" and run them into a laundry list of OMG your wrong....

Lou having unanswered questions is COMPLETELY plausible and I haven't seen anything to make me believe otherwise.....

Chai tea is a horrible beach drink.

SoxWillWin
03-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Chai tea is a horrible beach drink.

something more froofy with an umbrella I guess.....

itsnotrequired
03-16-2008, 11:34 AM
something more froofy with an umbrella I guess.....

Hey, when in Rome...

fquaye149
03-16-2008, 11:35 AM

It's plausible that he has unanswered questions, but it's not plausible that those unanswered questions involve lee, ramirez or soriano

Jjav829
03-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Yes, of course he has unanswered questions. Every team has unanswered questions at this point. Here's the problem with your argument. You stated that your Cubs fan friend said the Cubs "barely had any of thier starters in place for the game." You took that and said that because of the Cubs not having their starters in the game, perhaps Lou is still evaluating. To tie this all back to my point, let's look at the Cubs starting lineup from yesterday....

SS Theriot
2B DeRosa
1B Hoffpauir
DH Ward
RF Fukudome
LF Murton
C Soto
3B McGehee
CF Fuld

So, what starters were missing yesterday? Certainly not Theriot at SS, DeRosa at 2B, Fukudome in RF, Soto at C. There is no DH in the NL obviously, so scratch Ward off. Fuld and Pie are competing in CF, and Pie is still recovering from his *ahem* injury. So that leaves only three positions where Lou started players yesterday who won't start on Opening Day for the Cubs - 3B, LF and 1B. Those happen to be the positions for their three best players - Ramirez, Soriano and Lee.

So, unless you are suggesting that Lou isn't fully confident in those three players, then you have no argument. Other than Ramirez, Soriano and Lee, Lou started all players that will be in the Cubs lineup on March 31st.

If you want to state that the Cubs have unanswered questions, that's absolutely fine. Like I said, every team has unanswered questions. But you can't use the Cubs lineup yesterday as your reasoning for making that argument.

SoxWillWin
03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
It's plausible that he has unanswered questions, but it's not plausible that those unanswered questions involve lee, ramirez or soriano

and I don't recall ever mentioning those three....

guess I forgot to put on my flame retardant underwear this mornin

SoxWillWin
03-16-2008, 11:45 AM
So conversly my friend can use the lineup excuse for a loss....seems convenient.

I guess this Ward guy hits and runs the bases EXACTLY like Ramirez therefore giving Fukudome the knowledge he needs of what it's like to hit behind Ramirez...my mistake.

ilsox7
03-16-2008, 11:49 AM
This just proves that dumb threads don't stop b/c spring training started. And that some Sox fans still fit the stereotype of caring way too much about the Cubs.

Frontman
03-16-2008, 11:52 AM
1: I don't think either manager has locked up their lineup/batting order yet.

2: It's a spring training game. I wouldn't read anything more into it than that.

3: Lou Pinella gave up on winning when he put Cotts in. He knew what the result was going to be. :wink:

MarySwiss
03-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I gotta admit I was surprised that Ozzie kept so many of our starters in as long as he did, but I was happy for Manders, Viva, and other WSIers at that game.

Jjav829
03-16-2008, 11:54 AM
So conversly my friend can use the lineup excuse for a loss....seems convenient.

I guess this Ward guy hits and runs the bases EXACTLY like Ramirez therefore giving Fukudome the knowledge he needs of what it's like to hit behind Ramirez...my mistake.

You really should quit this argument while you are behind. It just doesn't make any sense.

Lou doesn't have to play the exact same lineup everyday to get players ready. They don't need 2 weeks worth of time to find out what it's like to hit behind a guy.

I guess the question should be, why aren't you ripping Ozzie right now then? After all, did you really look at the Sox lineup yesterday? You know who hit leadoff? Jason Bourgeois. Not Nick Swisher. Nick Swisher hit 5th. Dye 6th. But shouldn't Ozzie be preparing Orlando Cabrera to know what it's like to hit behind Nick Swisher? And look who started the game. Nick Masset! He's not going to be a starter on this team. Shouldn't Ozzie be preparing the team to know what it's like to field when a real starter is starting the game?

SoxWillWin
03-16-2008, 12:01 PM
This just proves that dumb threads don't stop b/c spring training started. And that some Sox fans still fit the stereotype of caring way too much about the Cubs.

God I give up. If you don't want to add to the discussion, and just post in order to attack someone then fine...close and remove the "dumb thread"

NO ONE can question my loyalty and passion as a sox fan, but I'm a baseball fan first which means I pay attention to as much as I can about every team. If this makes me a "stereotypical" fan to you... I DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS...

doublem23
03-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, of course he has unanswered questions. Every team has unanswered questions at this point. Here's the problem with your argument. You stated that your Cubs fan friend said the Cubs "barely had any of thier starters in place for the game." You took that and said that because of the Cubs not having their starters in the game, perhaps Lou is still evaluating. To tie this all back to my point, let's look at the Cubs starting lineup from yesterday....

SS Theriot
2B DeRosa
1B Hoffpauir
DH Ward
RF Fukudome
LF Murton
C Soto
3B McGehee
CF Fuld

So, what starters were missing yesterday? Certainly not Theriot at SS, DeRosa at 2B, Fukudome in RF, Soto at C. There is no DH in the NL obviously, so scratch Ward off. Fuld and Pie are competing in CF, and Pie is still recovering from his *ahem* injury. So that leaves only three positions where Lou started players yesterday who won't start on Opening Day for the Cubs - 3B, LF and 1B. Those happen to be the positions for their three best players - Ramirez, Soriano and Lee.

So, unless you are suggesting that Lou isn't fully confident in those three players, then you have no argument. Other than Ramirez, Soriano and Lee, Lou started all players that will be in the Cubs lineup on March 31st.

If you want to state that the Cubs have unanswered questions, that's absolutely fine. Like I said, every team has unanswered questions. But you can't use the Cubs lineup yesterday as your reasoning for making that argument.

Your "sense" has no business being made in this thread.

:teach:

ilsox7
03-16-2008, 12:20 PM
God I give up. If you don't want to add to the discussion, and just post in order to attack someone then fine...close and remove the "dumb thread"

NO ONE can question my loyalty and passion as a sox fan, but I'm a baseball fan first which means I pay attention to as much as I can about every team. If this makes me a "stereotypical" fan to you... I DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS...

You're arguing with a friend over a meaningless spring training game. It's comical.

Chicken Dinner
03-16-2008, 01:22 PM
2 questions were answered yesterday:

Thome needs to be in the lineup against lefties.

Neil Cotts will be starting the season in Iowa.

KenBerryGrab
03-16-2008, 02:12 PM
The Cubs brought as many regulars on the bus as any southern Arizona team does to Tucson. Why do you think Ozzie talked about complaining to the commissioner earlier in the spring? Why do you think the Sox want out of there?

SoxWillWin
03-16-2008, 05:00 PM
You're arguing with a friend over a meaningless spring training game. It's comical.

BLAH bla blah blah blah....blah blah....

friends talk...bicker...and argue about stuff...if you had any you'd know.

Mod edit: And if you knew the rules, you'd know we don't allow personal attacks here.

fquaye149
03-16-2008, 05:58 PM
friends talk and argue about stuff, but that doesn't mean that their arguments are thereby legitimate

Railsplitter
03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Being the last week of Spring training, you'd want all the team's problems ironed out befor the season really starts.

pearso66
03-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Not arguing with you, or "ripping" you, but this is your exact words to start this thread. If you read it, it reads that you are saying that Lou is still evaluating, which is why he didn't have his regulars in. It was pointed out that the only 3 regulars that didn't play was Soriano, Lee and Ramirez. So if you look at it the way you said it, it seems like you don't think he's happy with those 3. If you meant what you said in a different way, maybe it needs to be rephrased so that it makes more sense. You can't get mad at people for arguing against exactly what you said and say it's not what you meant.

Viva Medias B's
03-16-2008, 11:00 PM
I have been here in Tucson since Friday, and let me tell you that it was really nice to beat those Cubs on Saturday regardless of the fact that it was a spring training game. It always feels good to send all those invading Cub fans from the Valley back up I-10 with their tails between their legs.

And by virtue of our victory, we retain possession of the Ostrich Kup which is my award given to the Chicago team that wins the spring training series. Even if the Cubs beat us in Mesa, we retain possession because ties in the series revert to the previous year's winner which is us.

RadioheadRocks
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
"Feelings... whoa, whoa, whoa, feelings..."

LoveYourSuit
03-16-2008, 11:22 PM

At least you didn't get into the arguement with that clown about which team has the most Spring Training "best records" in the last decade.

areilly
03-17-2008, 12:12 AM

I would say the Sox look less prepared, actually. When your team is still question marks at second, third, center, left, and most of the bullpen, that doesn't exactly smack of readiness.

The Sox regulars played the Cubs' B-team. Of course they were going to win. Why are we even having this conversation?

chaerulez
03-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Why are people fighting over the outcome of a SPRING TRAINING GAME.

It might a more pointless argument than the burrito thread.

gaelhound
03-18-2008, 01:07 AM

The sox just look far more prepared to start opening day than the Cubs do IMHO...Thoughts?Your "friend" is a cub fan? He is not really your friend.

BadBobbyJenks
03-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Wait so Soriano, Lee and Aramis might not make the opening day roster? Kenny get on the phone!

Frontman
03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Wait so Soriano, Lee and Aramis might not make the opening day roster? Kenny get on the phone!

No, I think you're reading more into that. Pinella doesn't know his batting order, and is playing with it. No more, no less.

BadBobbyJenks
03-18-2008, 11:01 AM
No, I think you're reading more into that. Pinella doesn't know his batting order, and is playing with it. No more, no less.

Did I really need teal for that?

kittle42
03-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Did I really need teal for that?

I am continually amazed at the sarcasm-impaired here.

rdivaldi
03-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Is it possible to have impersonal feelings?

fquaye149
03-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Is it possible to have impersonal feelings?

Yes. Many a woman has had impersonal feelings about me, much to my dismay.

Just kidding. I'm a devil with the ladies. But you can imagine if I weren't!

soxwon
03-18-2008, 04:02 PM

fukudome so far sucks.

chaerulez
03-18-2008, 04:04 PM
fukudome so far sucks.

Based on what?

rdivaldi
03-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Based on what?

The fact that he plays for the Cubs?

soxwon
03-25-2008, 11:10 PM
The fact that he plays for the Cubs?