PDA

View Full Version : The return of Schueler?

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 12:57 PM
Schueler says he'd return for right GM job
By Scot Gregor Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted on August 02, 2001
Ron Schueler is alive and well.

And the White Sox' erstwhile general manager said he's eventually looking forward to calling the shots for another major-league team.

Schueler had declined to speak with the media until Wednesday, when he responded to a rumor that he was looking for another GM job.

In Boston last weekend, former Sox manager Gene Lamont said he heard some talk that Schueler was interested in resuming his career as a general manager.

From his new home in Paradise Valley, Ariz., Schueler confirmed the speculation.

"If the right deal came along, I would probably have to take a long look at it,'' Schueler said. "And if it was a good fit for both sides, yeah, I'd probably go back.''

After guiding the White Sox to the most wins (95) in the American League last year while overseeing the development of one of the top farm systems in baseball, Schueler abruptly resigned his post on Oct. 24 and was replaced by minor-league director Kenny Williams.

Schueler currently is serving as special consultant to Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and is mainly involved in scouting. The 53-year-old executive says he will serve in the same capacity next year and then pursue other GM opportunities.

According to Schueler, he wanted to resign as the White Sox' general manager following the 1999 season.

"I was ready to leave in '99,'' Schueler said. "I thought everything was in pretty good shape and we were probably going to win during the next year or two. But Jerry told me, 'I can't pick between Kenny and Danny (Evans). Why don't you stay another year?' So I did. But after last year, it was time to step away.''

Schueler was the Sox' GM from 1991-2000, and he had the longest run in the league before resigning. Under his watch, the White Sox went 817-734, fourth best in the majors over that span.

"Looking back, I think we all did a pretty good job,'' Schueler said. "The most important thing is surrounding yourself with good people, and that's what I tried to do. If I'm able to get back into in, it would have to be the right situation for my family.''

He still is involved in the White Sox' overall operation, but Schueler has tried giving Williams plenty of space. "Kenny has enough to worry about,'' Schueler said.

Durham makes early exit: Second baseman Ray Durham came out of Wednesday's game in the fourth inning with a mild strain in his lower left hamstring.

Durham, who was replaced by Tony Graffanino, is day to day.

Alomar reaches milestone: Sandy Alomar ended an 0-for-8 slump with a leadoff single in the second inning Wednesday. It was the 1,000th hit of Alomar's career.

Spread out:: Former White Sox general manager Ron Schueler lives in Paradise Valley, Ariz., a ritzy suburb of Phoenix.

Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf has a winter home in the same town. Neighbors? "No,'' Schueler said. "I live in the poor section.''

Joel Perez
08-02-2001, 01:33 PM
THE NEW CLEVELAND INDIANS GM FOR 2002!!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 01:37 PM
THE NEW CLEVELAND INDIANS GM FOR 2002!!!

I think John Hart has someone ready to take his place and I doubt it is Schu.