PDA

View Full Version : Brian Roberts To The Chicago White Sox?

MCHSoxFan
03-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Link:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080315-rogers-whispers,1,7252974.story

Note To Mods: Sorry If This Belongs In WTS & Not Here.

peeonwrigley
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Meh.

DickAllen72
03-16-2008, 12:25 AM
My guess would be that they're looking at Uribe to replace Roberts after they trade him to the Cubs.

I'd like to see Roberts playing 2B for the White Sox, but I don't think it's going to happen.

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2008, 01:40 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again, I'd LOVE Brian Roberts on this team...so I'm trying to think of guys we could tempt them with and here are some of the guys we could offer (minus Fields because I don't think we want to trade him): Uribe, Richar, Bourgeois, Masset, Haeger, Broadway...I can't think of anyone else. I would assume they'd want Uribe in the deal, would they be interested in Masset? What about Crede? It might be time to make a descion about Crede here, I think if we send along Fields (and they send us some mid-level prospects) the deal could get done, but that more or less means we're fully committed to Crede. Do we want to do that? I'm more worried about his health than his contract status to be honest...Jesus I hope there's a way we can get this deal done. :praying:

jabrch
03-16-2008, 03:17 AM
I don't see how we can beat the package that the Cubs are reported to have offered... (Veal, Ceda, Gallagher, Murton)

LoveYourSuit
03-16-2008, 04:36 AM
I was called insane on another thread because I mentioned due to our circumstances at 3rd base and with pretty much ZERO market out there for Crede, would the Orioles bite on Fields straight up for Roberts?

Even then perhaps Crede will see our commitment to him and sign a $$$ friendly long term deal with us (I guess he would have to fire Boras first).

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2008, 06:25 AM
I was called insane on another thread because I mentioned due to our circumstances at 3rd base and with pretty much ZERO market out there for Crede, would the Orioles bite on Fields straight up for Roberts?

Even then perhaps Crede will see our commitment to him and sign a $$$ friendly long term deal with us (I guess he would have to fire Boras first).
I could potentially see Fields being dealt for Roberts but not in the straight up way you were talking about...as for Crede suddenly "seeing our commitment" and dumping Boras, that's just not going to happen. If we give Crede the money that Boras wants, he'll sign. But I'm not sure what Boras is going to ask for Crede and whether or not that's worth it.

tick53
03-16-2008, 09:00 AM
I'd love to see Roberts come here too but every time I get pumped up for a deal like this to go down, it hardly ever does. I'm gonna hide and watch and keep my fingers crossed. It would be a beautiful thing keep him off the north side too.

Madvora
03-16-2008, 09:11 AM
If the Orioles are looking for veteran middle infielders, then why are they getting rid of Roberts?

Tragg
03-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Fields for Roberts....
The Orioles would jump for joy and would have taken that deal yesterday, had we offered Fields. (the Cubs won't even put Pie in there). Thankfully, we haven't.
We have a good team offensive team out there now, we'll still be 3rd place on paper with our without Roberts, and we'll be worse off for next year (when our competition may be weaker), and we gave up a good hitter for Richar so let him play.

Optipessimism
03-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Fields for Roberts....
I'll summarize to say: the Orioles would jump for joy and would have taken that deal yesterday, had we offered Fields. (the Cubs won't even put Pie in there).
Thankfully, we haven't.
Agreed. Fields for Roberts would make Kenny a shoe-in for the Bonehead of the Year award.

The Orioles, like always, are being difficult to deal with and way overvaluing their own players. Now it's one thing when you're talking about Bedard because he's one of the top LHP in baseball, but Roberts? He's a very good 2B and a true lead-off man, but what they are asking from the Cubs is ridiculous IMO. The Sox, or any other team for that matter, would be stupid to match or beat that, especially considering it is only for two years of him.

dickallen15
03-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Agreed. Fields for Roberts would make Kenny a shoe-in for the Bonehead of the Year award.

The Orioles, like always, are being difficult to deal with and way overvaluing their own players. Now it's one thing when you're talking about Bedard because he's one of the top LHP in baseball, but Roberts? He's a very good 2B and a true lead-off man, but what they are asking from the Cubs is ridiculous IMO. The Sox, or any other team for that matter, would be stupid to match or beat that, especially considering it is only for two years of him.

If Scott Podsednik was so important to the White Sox, Roberts is an upgrade over him. His last 4 seasons were better than Pods in 2005. If the pitching is as good as KW thinks it is, Fields for Roberts would be an over the top move. You can then worry about singing Crede later. In 2005 the White Sox let Konerko become a free agent, and he's had a much more successful career.

I doubt Baltimore would do that anyway. The White Sox infield defense would be stellar. Their offense would finally truely be balanced, and pitching would be the only concern, but with the defense assembled at least in the infield, you will have helped that immensely.

gr8mexico
03-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I wonder if the Sox can work out a 3 team deal. Send Joe Crede to the Dodgers for Juan Pierre. The Dodgers would have to eat some of the Contract. Then the Sox can trade Pierre, Juan Uribe, Danny Richar, Lance Broadway and Mike MacDoual the Orioles. If the Dodgers and White Sox eat up alot of Pierre contract I think this might help.

gogosox16
03-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I wonder if the Sox can work out a 3 team deal. Send Joe Crede to the Dodgers for Juan Pierre. The Dodgers would have to eat some of the Contract. Then the Sox can trade Pierre, Juan Uribe, Danny Richar, Lance Broadway and Mike MacDoual the Orioles. If the Dodgers and White Sox eat up alot of Pierre contract I think this might help.
So if we did that we would have a pretty solid lineup and defensive team, but I think that's a lot for just Roberts.

munchman33
03-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't see how we can beat the package that the Cubs are reported to have offered... (Veal, Ceda, Gallagher, Murton)

It isnt about beating it. It's about being a better match. IF the Orioles trade Roberts, they'll need a shortstop and a second basemen. Uribe would help a year, and Richar for now and the future. Throw in two arms, and you've got something there.

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2008, 03:13 PM
It isnt about beating it. It's about being a better match. IF the Orioles trade Roberts, they'll need a shortstop and a second basemen. Uribe would help a year, and Richar for now and the future. Throw in two arms, and you've got something there.
So do you think a deal with involving Uribe, Richar, Masset and Broadway could work? Hmm...I just don't know what exactly the Orioles need, but boy, at first glance I really like that trade.

soxwon
03-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again, I'd LOVE Brian Roberts on this team...so I'm trying to think of guys we could tempt them with and here are some of the guys we could offer (minus Fields because I don't think we want to trade him): Uribe, Richar, Bourgeois, Masset, Haeger, Broadway...I can't think of anyone else. I would assume they'd want Uribe in the deal, would they be interested in Masset? What about Crede? It might be time to make a descion about Crede here, I think if we send along Fields (and they send us some mid-level prospects) the deal could get done, but that more or less means we're fully committed to Crede. Do we want to do that? I'm more worried about his health than his contract status to be honest...Jesus I hope there's a way we can get this deal done. :praying:

Sox would be idiots to deal Fields, he is our future-No No No

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Sox would be idiots to deal Fields, he is our future-No No No
Like say, Brandon McCarthy?

soltrain21
03-16-2008, 03:28 PM

But we got a player who was YOUNGER than McCarthy. Roberts has no chance of being "the future."

getonbckthr
03-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Konerko and Macdougal to Baltimore for Roberts, Millar and Cabrera? Then send Richar to LA for Pierre and lots of cash. Give Crede a Konerko-like extension. Move Fields to 1B.

Tragg
03-16-2008, 03:29 PM
We traded him for another young pitcher with similar credentials. No comparison at all.

getonbckthr
03-16-2008, 03:32 PM
While Fields has shown the ability to hit homers McCarthy showed the ability to give up homers.

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2008, 03:36 PM
We traded him for another young pitcher with similar credentials. No comparison at all.
The comparison was in McCarthy was our "can't touch sure to succeed prospect" which is what Fields is right now. The McCarthy trade was interesting because it was really trading future for more future. I'm suggesting trading some future for some present.

And for the record, I'd really rather see a deal done that doesn't involve Fields. I think munchman suggested trading Uribe, Richar and two arms (where I threw in Massett and Broadway) that deal is a million times better than any one involving Fields IF that deal would work.

soxwon
03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
bmac was a bum, that deal was a steal for us.

Brian26
03-16-2008, 04:02 PM
The comparison was in McCarthy was our "can't touch sure to succeed prospect" which is what Fields is right now.

Were you asleep in a cave for McCarthy's performance during the 2006 season?

There is absolutely no comparison between McCarthy's value before he was traded and Fields' value right now.

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Were you asleep in a cave for McCarthy's performance during the 2006 season?

There is absolutely no comparison between McCarthy's value before he was traded and Fields' value right now.
Ah yes because ONE bad season of a starter coming out of the bullpen and like 1/2 of a descent season determines the true value of a prospect. So by that logic Greg Maddux's career was over after a bad '87 and Al Bumbrey was all but a HOFer because a good '73 season.

LoveYourSuit
03-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Just ask this question for 2008 3B/2B:

Crede + Roberts

or

Fields +Uribe / Richar

I also don't understand where all of a sudden Fields has become a 1st ballot hall of famer. As somoene mentioned earlier, he's got the potential to hit 35 HRs but also the potential to K 200 times per season. And HRs is the last thing this team is lacking. Please give up on this love for the long ball, Uribe has the potential to hit 30 HRs per season and yet we want his ass out town today.

Flight #24
03-16-2008, 06:17 PM
The main problem is that the Sox don't have anything all that valuable to give up for 2 years of a quality leadoff guy who's in some demand (based on the rumored Cubs packages).

Owens: Hasn't proven much and hasn't been healthy in ST. Could be a solid leadoff guy, but is a big ?.

Richar: Great tools, but still hit .230 last year and hasn't been healthy in ST.

Broadway, Masset: At best look like back of the rotation guys or long men, that's if they pan out.

So you're hoping that the O's go for quantity and filling positions that they lack. I don't see it happening. If the Sox want to make a deal, IMO they'll have to include someone like Ramirez or Poreda, those are probably the higher-ceiling guys among their upper level prospects. Otherwise you're looking at guys like Silverio, etc.

Owens+Ramirez+Poreda might get it done, if you're lucky you can get by with including one of the latter 2. Then you plug Anderson into CF with Roberts at 2B/leadoff.

But I can't see a deal centered on Owens(? and groin issues), Richar (? and back issues), Masset (? and out of options so Sox are limited in what they can do), MacDougal (sucked and so remains a ?) getting an above average leadoff guy like Roberts. IMO that's wishful thinking. Someone would really have to love those guys because they're just not hot prospects right now and haven't had the opportunity to become hot due to injuries. But then again, what do I know?

munchman33
03-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I haven't read this anywhere, just pure speculation....

But if we were to take back Melvin Mora, the O's would basically give us Roberts. Wouldn't take more than a few prospects. And we can probably afford it.

PalehosePlanet
03-16-2008, 07:26 PM
[quote=Flight #24;1821350]The main problem is that the Sox don't have anything all that valuable to give up for 2 years of a quality leadoff guy who's in some demand (based on the rumored Cubs packages).

Owens: Hasn't proven much and hasn't been healthy in ST. Could be a solid leadoff guy, but is a big ?.

Richar: Great tools, but still hit .230 last year and hasn't been healthy in ST.

Broadway, Masset: At best look like back of the rotation guys or long men, that's if they pan out.

So you're hoping that the O's go for quantity and filling positions that they lack. I don't see it happening. If the Sox want to make a deal, IMO they'll have to include someone like Ramirez or Poreda, those are probably the higher-ceiling guys among their upper level prospects. Otherwise you're looking at guys like Silverio, etc.

Owens+Ramirez+Poreda might get it done, if you're lucky you can get by with including one of the latter 2. Then you plug Anderson into CF with Roberts at 2B/leadoff.

Poreda, by rule, cannot be dealt until after the one year anniversary of his contract signing. That would be, IIRC, sometime in July of '08.Also, the O's did go for quantity instead of quality in the Tejada deal; not saying they would again w/Roberts, but it's possible.

getonbckthr
03-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Just ask this question for 2008 3B/2B:

Crede + Roberts

or

Fields +Uribe / Richar

I also don't understand where all of a sudden Fields has become a 1st ballot hall of famer. As somoene mentioned earlier, he's got the potential to hit 35 HRs but also the potential to K 200 times per season. And HRs is the last thing this team is lacking. Please give up on this love for the long ball, Uribe has the potential to hit 30 HRs per season and yet we want his ass out town today.
Crede vs Fields
Offense- Fields
Defense- Crede
Contract situation- Fields
Agent- Fields
Health- Fields

LoveYourSuit
03-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Crede vs Fields
Offense- Fields
Defense- Crede
Contract situation- Fields
Agent- Fields
Health- Fields

Very convenient to leave out Roberts as part of your equation.

No question Fields is a better option right now than Crede with all the items you have listed, but you have to get rid of one of those guys unless MLB allows the Sox to play with two 3Bs every game.

WhiteSox5187
03-17-2008, 12:02 AM
The main problem is that the Sox don't have anything all that valuable to give up for 2 years of a quality leadoff guy who's in some demand (based on the rumored Cubs packages).

But I can't see a deal centered on Owens(? and groin issues), Richar (? and back issues), Masset (? and out of options so Sox are limited in what they can do), MacDougal (sucked and so remains a ?) getting an above average leadoff guy like Roberts. IMO that's wishful thinking. Someone would really have to love those guys because they're just not hot prospects right now and haven't had the opportunity to become hot due to injuries. But then again, what do I know?
I don't know about what the Orioles are looking for in terms of position players or what not, but we'd be giving them two young promising pitchers (remember when Massett was considered to be the bigger piece of the McCarthy trade than Danks? I'm not sure on the word on Broadway), a veteran capable of launching 20+ HRs who can play solid D when he wants and can play almost anywhere in the IF, a promising young second baseman who right now has some back issues but I believe he is still playing, we can throw in Owens a relatively young guy who can run like the wind and if he can get on consistently, boy, for Brian Roberts (and someone mentioned Mora, but I haven't read that anywhere and I think that's pushing it a bit), it seems like they get a fair trade there. I'm not too sure on the Cubs farm system but I remember when they made their first offer in like December it was ridiculed for being crap, but again I'm not so sure who was offered in that deal...but it seems to me the Orioles would be getting a lot in that trade. They're rebuilding now anyways so they're going to want prospects and the thing with prospects is you just never know what they're going to do, but all of those guys I mentioned I think have huge potential upsides. Maybe the guys the Cubs are offering have bigger upsides, I'm just not sure.

Brian26
03-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Al Bumbrey was all but a HOFer because a good '73 season.

It's Al Bumbry.

WhiteSox5187
03-17-2008, 12:40 AM
It's Al Bumbry.
Ah, thanks. My basic point though was one good season doesn't guarentee a great career, nor does one bad season guarentee an awful career...but I think everyone here can agree on that, right?

FedEx227
03-17-2008, 03:08 AM
Brian Roberts, the new Marcus Giles.

gr8mexico
03-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Brian Roberts, the new Marcus Giles.
Are you for real? Just look at Roberts numbers this spring. He has 7 SB already compared to the 12 the Sox have all spring. They guy can get on base and steal bases that exactly what you want from a leadoff hitter.

Flight #24
03-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know about what the Orioles are looking for in terms of position players or what not, but we'd be giving them two young promising pitchers (remember when Massett was considered to be the bigger piece of the McCarthy trade than Danks? I'm not sure on the word on Broadway), a veteran capable of launching 20+ HRs who can play solid D when he wants and can play almost anywhere in the IF, a promising young second baseman who right now has some back issues but I believe he is still playing, we can throw in Owens a relatively young guy who can run like the wind and if he can get on consistently, boy, for Brian Roberts (and someone mentioned Mora, but I haven't read that anywhere and I think that's pushing it a bit), it seems like they get a fair trade there. I'm not too sure on the Cubs farm system but I remember when they made their first offer in like December it was ridiculed for being crap, but again I'm not so sure who was offered in that deal...but it seems to me the Orioles would be getting a lot in that trade. They're rebuilding now anyways so they're going to want prospects and the thing with prospects is you just never know what they're going to do, but all of those guys I mentioned I think have huge potential upsides. Maybe the guys the Cubs are offering have bigger upsides, I'm just not sure.

I don't think the Sox guys we're talking about have anywhere near the value that you seem to. Yes, they all have skills - but they haven't in any way dominated in the minors or put up major league #s in their admittedly short stints that make them all that valuable. There's a reason why there's a lot of folks even at WSI that don't consider either of these guys locks to even make the team or locks to be contributors in the future.

If the O's are willing to take back a number of medium to longshots then they can certainly do a deal, but I'm not sure that they will do that (although you never know with that FO).

Also to Munchman33: Tejada was in a very different situation. Declining skills, steroid questions, big contract. None of those is an issue with Roberts, I'd argue he's more valuable in trade now than Miggy was in the winter.

FedEx227
03-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Are you for real? Just look at Roberts numbers this spring. He has 7 SB already compared to the 12 the Sox have all spring. They guy can get on base and steal bases that exactly what you want from a leadoff hitter.

Player A: 5-8
.277/.353/.429, 16 HR, 68 RBI, 14 SB, 107 Ks, 65 BB, 38 2B

Player B: 5-9
.281/.351/.409, 10 HR, 61 RBI, 37 SB, 90 Ks, 70 BB, 42 2B

ChiTownTrojan
03-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Poreda, by rule, cannot be dealt until after the one year anniversary of his contract signing. That would be, IIRC, sometime in July of '08.Also, the O's did go for quantity instead of quality in the Tejada deal; not saying they would again w/Roberts, but it's possible.
Actually, quantity is exactly what the O's are looking for. I heard McPhail on the radio here in Baltimore after the Bedard trade, talking about how he wanted to revive the lost art of the "5 for 1" trade. Basically, the O's are a mess, and figure that the more prospects they collect, the more of them will have a chance to make an impact at the MLB level.

FedEx227
03-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Actually, quantity is exactly what the O's are looking for. I heard McPhail on the radio here in Baltimore after the Bedard trade, talking about how he wanted to revive the lost art of the "5 for 1" trade. Basically, the O's are a mess, and figure that the more prospects they collect, the more of them will have a chance to make an impact at the MLB level.

If he honestly said that then he truly is Andy the Clown.

WhiteSox5187
03-18-2008, 02:54 AM
If he honestly said that then he truly is Andy the Clown.
DON'T YOU EVER COMPARE MCPHAIL TO ANDY THE CLOWN!!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:NYbE3snYcRNIkM:http://bp1.blogger.com/_jtZM_i2fSV8/RblSF4eb03I/AAAAAAAAAV0/CULgKbOYNy8/s200/Andy%2Bthe%2BClown.jpg (http://bp1.blogger.com/_jtZM_i2fSV8/RblSF4eb03I/AAAAAAAAAV0/CULgKbOYNy8/s200/Andy+the+Clown.jpg)
"Roberts for Massett, Owens, Broadway and Richar?? Sure thing! Goooooo White Sox!"

WhiteSox5187
03-18-2008, 04:41 PM
I know it's only been a day or two, but I haven't heard anything else about this trade, has anyone??

Gammons Peter
03-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I know it's only been a day or two, but I haven't heard anything else about this trade, has anyone??

Why would you hear anything else about it? some guy made it up and people commented about it. End of story

The article was just Phil Rogers way of pointing out AGAIN, that the Sox have nothing left in their system to trade

oeo
03-18-2008, 05:18 PM

Again...it wasn't even a rumor. It was Phil Rogers' speculation.

There was no rumor, and nothing will ever come close to happening.

broker3d
03-19-2008, 08:28 PM
We NEED Brian Roberts.

soxlug
03-20-2008, 12:12 AM
I really do not think the Orioles will settle strictly for quantity, but it will require some players. I think it will take some prospects to get him. I believe it will take a deal like this

Poreda, John Shelby, Broadway (I mean Trachsel made thier rotation), Uribe, Owens, and some other young kid like Mabee.

As much as I would love the top of the lineup to look like this .

Roberts
Cabrera
Swisher
Konerko
Thome
Dye

it is hard to think our pitching is strong enough to get us to the playoffs, but Roberts does not hurt.

sox1970
03-20-2008, 12:14 AM
^

Not allowed to trade Poreda until June.

I like the Mark Ellis option.

WhiteSox5187
03-20-2008, 01:11 AM
^

Not allowed to trade Poreda until June.

I like the Mark Ellis option.
Can Mark Ellis lead off? I'm not sure one way or the other, I'd love to have either one. I'd prefer Roberts because he is a great leadoff hitter and a solid second baseman, but I'd be very happy with Ellis too. If we had Anderson in CF (and Swisher moving over to left) we'd be solid up the middle.