PDA

View Full Version : Something I've noticed with Sox pitchers

JermaineDye05
03-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I've noticed some changes in the deliveries of some Sox pitchers this spring. Mostly with Masset, Floyd, and Contreras. Each used to go overhead with their delivery while in the stretch. Now this Spring I've noticed each has decided to not go overhead, this actually started with Floyd later in the year when he started doing better. Just wondering if there was something that Oz or Coop might have said to these guys. Is this just a way to speed up their delivery or perhaps to clear their head so they don't need to think so much about mechanics?

JNS
03-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Didn't El Duque suggest to Contreras in July of 05 that he start coming from 3/4?

I remember Contreras crediting him with helping him change his delivery, or mixing it up or something that improved his splitter into something more or less unhittable in the 2nd half of 2005.

I haven't watched him closely enough the last 1 1/2 years - since he started to tank mid-season 2006 - but if he stopped doing that and is now trying it again, couldn't hurt.

JermaineDye05
03-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Didn't El Duque suggest to Contreras in July of 05 that he start coming from 3/4?

I remember Contreras crediting him with helping him change his delivery, or mixing it up or something that improved his splitter into something more or less unhittable in the 2nd half of 2005.

I haven't watched him closely enough the last 1 1/2 years - since he started to tank mid-season 2006 - but if he stopped doing that and is now trying it again, couldn't hurt.

I think you may have misinterpreted what I was talking about. I don't mean arm angles, I mean before they pitch they usually tended to bring the glove up and over their heads and then deliver. Each has stopped doing that.

turners56
03-15-2008, 07:43 PM
I think you mean windup, not stretch. I haven't seen a pitcher go overhead in the stretch in well...I've never seen one do it. I haven't seen Contreras pitch this year yet, but I did notice that Masset isn't going overhead anymore, kind of like what Beckett did last year...look how that turned out. Maybe it's for the good.

btrain929
03-17-2008, 10:50 PM
I also noticed it with Contreras. It can only help, IMO. Going over the head and disrupting your vision of home plate twice is just a lot of wasted, unneeded movement.

Chicken Dinner
03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I also noticed it with Contreras. It can only help, IMO. Going over the head and disrupting your vision of home plate twice is just a lot of wasted, unneeded movement.

It's not working for Contreras. Take a look at the ERA.

Elephant
03-18-2008, 03:12 AM
I think you mean windup, not stretch. I haven't seen a pitcher go overhead in the stretch in well...I've never seen one do it. I haven't seen Contreras pitch this year yet, but I did notice that Masset isn't going overhead anymore, kind of like what Beckett did last year...look how that turned out. Maybe it's for the good.

Right, no pitcher ever goes overhead in the stretch because it defeats the purpose of the stretch. I think JD05 meant to say windup instead of stretch.

Buehrle never went overhead. Then again, Clemens and Maddux did. So it doesn't really mean anything inherently, but any small change can have an effect in an individual because pitching is so touchy.

btrain929
03-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Change or not, all I know is Tomo Ohka has an ERA under 1 this spring. Will he be our long reliever, letting us trade Masset? Or is he solely going to be a AAA starter?