PDA

View Full Version : Cubs/Sox Preview

recapper
03-15-2008, 12:03 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080314&content_id=2426523&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

goon
03-15-2008, 12:06 PM
You can't copy/paste that whole article.

moochpuppy
03-15-2008, 12:19 PM
For those of us outside the Chicagoland area, the game is on WGN at 4pm EST.

My first look at this years Sox.

soxfan21
03-15-2008, 02:15 PM
According to my DirecTV Guide the game will also be broadcast in High Def :D:.

Juice16
03-15-2008, 02:58 PM
According to the Cub fans at work, Brian Roberts is already the leadoff man for the Cubs.

Lip Man 1
03-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Phil Rogers in his "baseball whispers" column out at Tribune.com says that the Orioles may now be looking to send Roberts to the White Sox.

He says they need middle infielders and have been scouting Uribe. Rogers wonders though if the Sox have the minor league players Baltimore is also looking for.

Lip

sox1970
03-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Phil Rogers in his "baseball whispers" column out at Tribune.com says that the Orioles may now be looking to send Roberts to the White Sox.

He says they need middle infielders and have been scouting Uribe. Rogers wonders though if the Sox have the minor league players Baltimore is also looking for.

Lip

I'd package Uribe, Richar, Masset, and reunite John Shelby III with his dad in a second.

WhiteSox5187
03-15-2008, 06:26 PM

Lip
Christ, I'd give 'em the whole damn farm if they want it! This team has a whole new make up with Roberts leading off and I feel a lot better too! Suddenly you can afford to have BA in CF with Swisher moving to LF, we could deal Owens...we'd be a lot better.

Lip Man 1
03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Here's the link:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080315-rogers-whispers,1,7252974.story

Lip

moochpuppy
03-15-2008, 06:34 PM

Lip

Wouldn't that be a slap in the face to the team on the Northside.

TommyJohn
03-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Wouldn't that be a slap in the face to the team on the Northside.

I can see the sports headlines if that happened......

turners56
03-15-2008, 06:50 PM
We won, w00t, I'm the first to post that in this thread :).

BTW, I heard Hawk and DJ along with the radio duo of Farmer and Stone talking about how impressive and fundamentally sound Jason Bourgeois is. He does look like the Pablo Ozuna type, like Ozzie said. But, I really don't think there's any room for him on this team...what do you guys think?

Masset looked meh today too, I really don't want him on the team come March 31st, Wasserman is a way better option for long relief.

kingpin_rcs
03-15-2008, 07:17 PM
I's like him on the team JUST for his name - BOOZSH-WAH!

turners56
03-15-2008, 07:18 PM
I's like him on the team JUST for his name - BOOZSH-WAH!

The Indian chief Boozsh WAH????

Brian26
03-15-2008, 07:22 PM

The thing I like about this move is that it gives Ozzie his leadoff hitter and possibly opens the door up for BA to play CF and bat 9th without any pressure to play Owens just because he's a "leadoff" type of hitter.

Frontman
03-15-2008, 07:27 PM
I've been saying for months any time Rogers name is mentioned,

"Gee, leadoff hitter and plays second, I wonder who might need a player like that?"

I just don't think the Sox have the trade-bait to do it. I'm sure KW, Ozzie, and others would love it (as well as many on WSI) but I just don't see what the Sox could offer to get him.

And Thome just crushed that ball today. MERCY!!!

Brian26
03-15-2008, 07:27 PM

After reading the actual column, it's more accurate to say that Phil Rogers speculates that the Orioles might be interested in Juan Uribe and wonders if the Sox have enough to land Roberts. It's pure speculation, and nowhere does it say the Orioles are looking to send Roberts to the Sox.

Foulke You
03-15-2008, 07:30 PM
That HR that Thome hit off of Cotts this afternoon might not have fallen yet.:tongue: That was a bomb.

The Roberts rumor is interesting. He definitely solves some problems for us and would make us a much better team offensively. I would also like to see if the whole "it's ok that he used HGH once" media angle would play out if he wore Sox pinstripes instead of Cubbie blue.

MarySwiss
03-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Very sweet! And nice to see a come-from-behind victory for my pal Manders, Viva, and all the other folk who came out for that game!

RowanDye
03-15-2008, 07:46 PM
After reading the actual column, it's more accurate to say that Phil Rogers speculates that the Orioles might be interested in Juan Uribe and wonders if the Sox have enough to land Roberts. It's pure speculation, and nowhere does it say the Orioles are looking to send Roberts to the Sox.

I can't really understand how Uribe would be much more than a throw-in to that deal.

The Sox may be able to sweeten though pot if they can get a decent prospect for Crede.

Egbert and Poreda have some value as well.

delben91
03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
I can't really understand how Uribe would be much more than a throw-in to that deal.

The Sox may be able to sweeten though pot if they can get a decent prospect for Crede.

Egbert and Poreda have some value as well.

I'm pretty sure they can't deal Poreda until he's been in the Sox organization a year. So that wouldn't be until June.

DrCrawdad
03-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Thome's bomb was an impressive shot. Did Konerko take three strikes after the damage to his former teammate Cotts?

*COUGH* Konerko took a K for Cotts *COUGH*

Frontman
03-15-2008, 08:40 PM
That HR that Thome hit off of Cotts this afternoon might not have fallen yet.:tongue: That was a bomb.

The Roberts rumor is interesting. He definitely solves some problems for us and would make us a much better team offensively. I would also like to see if the whole "it's ok that he used HGH once" media angle would play out if he wore Sox pinstripes instead of Cubbie blue.

Actually, it just did. I need to go fix my tailight where it hit. :wink:

LoveYourSuit
03-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Well seeing that Crede has no value out there right now, I was asked today by a good friend and Sox fan- would I take Roberts straight up for Fields?

If we can get Roberst here + an extension .... I think I would do it.

Then worry about 3B at the end of this season or try to extend Crede now also.

Martinigirl
03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Did anyone else think Crede looked like he was having issues running today? I know he was never the fastest person, but he is looking Pauliesque out there.

Frontman
03-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Did anyone else think Crede looked like he was having issues running today? I know he was never the fastest person, but he is looking Pauliesque out there.

He looked like that last season too. Which worries me.

Brian26
03-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Well seeing that Crede has no value out there right now, I was asked today by a good friend and Sox fan- would I take Roberts straight up for Fields?

If we can get Roberst here + an extension .... I think I would do it.

Then worry about 3B at the end of this season or try to extend Crede now also.

Thank God you aren't the GM. You'd trade Fields straight up for Roberts? You're insane.

StillMissOzzie
03-16-2008, 01:24 AM
I've been saying for months any time Rogers name is mentioned,

"Gee, leadoff hitter and plays second, I wonder who might need a player like that?"

I just don't think the Sox have the trade-bait to do it. I'm sure KW, Ozzie, and others would love it (as well as many on WSI) but I just don't see what the Sox could offer to get him.

Rogers is the columnist, Roberts is the player.

Yeah, it's only spring training, and by the end of the game I didn't recognize half the names on either team, but I ALWAYS enjoy a good Cubbie butt-kicking.
Always a chuckle to see someone who the Sox cast off, like Cotts, get lit up by that Thome bomb, too.

SMO
:tongue:

Nellie_Fox
03-16-2008, 01:42 AM
For those of us outside the Chicagoland area, the game is on WGN at 4pm EST.

My first look at this years Sox.

According to my DirecTV Guide the game will also be broadcast in High Def :D:.I was loving having the Sox on WGN, but we don't get WGN HD here. Cold and gloomy here in Minnesota, but a Sox game on the TV was a hint of spring!

LoveYourSuit
03-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Thank God you aren't the GM. You'd trade Fields straight up for Roberts? You're insane.

Insanity?

Once again, don't fall victim of putting too much stock on our players.

What is the true market value of a Josh Fields out there? First measurement point to me is that himself + other prospects was not good enough to get us Miguel Cabrera.

So IMO, he is just about enough to give up in order to get a guy like Brian Roberts .... straight up. And even then, I think the Orioles will laugh at us.

So where is the insanity?

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2008, 05:18 AM
Insanity?

What is the true market value of a Josh Fields out there? First measurement point to me is that himself + other prospects was not good enough to get us Miguel Cabrera.

So IMO, he is just about enough to give up in order to get a guy like Brian Roberts .... straight up. And even then, I think the Orioles will laugh at us.

Fields is the second coming of Aaron Rowand crossed with Joe Crede

DumpJerry
03-16-2008, 09:55 AM
It was nice hearing Kenny on the 'GN broadcast. When that guy on the Cubs I've never heard of hit his home run, Kenny stopped what he was saying and said in a low, disappointed tone "would you look at this...." with a tone of "would you look at this ****?"

Region Rat
03-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Insanity?

yes.

Crede not signing and being ****ed without a 3B

Brian26
03-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Insanity?

We're not talking about trading for Cabrera. We're talking about Brian Roberts.

Fields is a young, cheap, talented player who was on pace to hit 35 homeruns last year if he was given the chance to play a full season. He has his entire career ahead of him. Roberts does not.

Region Rat
03-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Fields is a young, cheap, talented player who was on pace to hit 35 homeruns last year if he was given the chance to play a full season. He has his entire career ahead of him. Roberts does not.

ya, that too.

oeo
03-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Fields is the second coming of Aaron Rowand crossed with Joe Crede

It's funny that you bring up stupid **** like this because you're one of the leaders of the Crede Cult.

Keeping Fields has nothing to do with the lame cult hero theme that seems to be happening around here quite frequently.

Let's go through this again...
1. Fields has a lot of potential, and even showed a lot of it at the big league level in 2007.
2. Fields is cheap.
3. We're not developing enough talent to just trade young, cheap, and major league ready talent away.

Trading Fields for anything would be stupid, unless we're getting a Matt Cain in return...and that's not happening.

manders_01
03-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Very sweet! And nice to see a come-from-behind victory for my pal Manders, Viva, and all the other folk who came out for that game!

Thanks Mary! That hit definitely made Big Jim the hero of the day! Love it when we win that game! LOL