PDA

View Full Version : Poreda pitching well

rdivaldi
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
This is a couple days old, but good to hear:

Class of '07: After earning strong praise from Cooper following his first scoreless "B" game stint, Aaron Poreda received the same show of support from manager Ozzie Guillen concerning his two scoreless innings pitched during Monday's "B" game against the Rockies. Poreda didn't face Colorado's starting lineup, but did pitch against four players with previous Major League experience. "This kid's got a good arm and it's exciting to see him pitch," said Guillen of Poreda, who struck out three in two hitless innings and was clocked as high as 97 mph. "You have to watch this kid. Hopefully, he stays healthy."

champagne030
03-14-2008, 01:29 PM
This is a couple days old, but good to hear:

[b]

He can replace Thornton in a couple of years.

oeo
03-14-2008, 01:46 PM
He can replace Thornton is a couple of years.

Let's see what kind of health issues he has before we start making statements like that. If he can stay healthy, and his stuff keeps heading in the right direction, there's absolutely no reason to move him to the bullpen.

champagne030
03-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Let's see what kind of health issues he has before we start making statements like that. If he can stay healthy, and his stuff keeps heading in the right direction, there's absolutely no reason to move him to the bullpen.

I'll agree. He's a one pitch pitcher at this point and none of his secondary pitches are close, but he's got time to try and get something.

California Sox
03-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Another good outing for Poreda today in the B game 3IP 2H 5K, including a strikeout of Todd Helton looking. It seems as if his secondary stuff is coming along at least a little bit. The thing is, if he can command a 96 mph fastball his change and slider need only be solid average for him to be effective.

rdivaldi
03-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Another good outing for Poreda today in the B game 3IP 2H 5K, including a strikeout of Todd Helton looking. It seems as if his secondary stuff is coming along at least a little bit. The thing is, if he can command a 96 mph fastball his change and slider need only be solid average for him to be effective.

It seems that Poreda has created quite a buzz in camp, the media and scouts are making extra efforts to go see him pitch.

btrain929
03-17-2008, 09:53 PM
It seems that Poreda has created quite a buzz in camp, the media and scouts are making extra efforts to go see him pitch.

He sounds like a future ex-White Sox/traded top prospect to me :D:

jabrch
03-17-2008, 10:09 PM

Nice to hear. But from listening to all the WSI experts I was convinced he was just a one pitch pitcher who'd be a complete waste of a draft pick.

rdivaldi
03-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Nice to hear. But from listening to all the WSI experts I was convinced he was just a one pitch pitcher who'd be a complete waste of a draft pick.

Well, he still is a work in progress. But left handers that throw 97, 98, 99 and even 100 on occasion don't exactly grow on trees. The one thing I am waiting for is an explanation on why he is such an injury risk. I'm just not seeing it on video.

jabrch
03-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Well, he still is a work in progress. But left handers that throw 97, 98, 99 and even 100 on occasion don't exactly grow on trees. The one thing I am waiting for is an explanation on why he is such an injury risk. I'm just not seeing it on video.

They are almost all work in progress when drafted that low. I'm fine with that. I'm more than willing to give him two seasons to see what he develops into. Writing him off as a wasted draft pick at this point is just flat out ignorant.

balke
03-18-2008, 09:22 AM
They are almost all work in progress when drafted that low. I'm fine with that. I'm more than willing to give him two seasons to see what he develops into. Writing him off as a wasted draft pick at this point is just flat out ignorant.

What do you mean? If he didn't cost at least 7 million out of the draft, he's a horrible pick.

guillen4life13
03-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Anytime there's a young player with the kind of velocity Poreda is showing, I get worried about an arm injury, and I think one could make the argument that pitchers with such high velocity are much more likely to have a significant injury. The question then becomes, "Does this guy know how to pitch?" If he does, then even without the high velocity they're good pitchers.

rdivaldi
03-18-2008, 11:14 AM
and I think one could make the argument that pitchers with such high velocity are much more likely to have a significant injury.

Is there any evidence to support that? I think it comes down to a combination of genetics and mechanics and the genetic part gets overlooked by most.