PDA

View Full Version : Reds cashing in on Red Sox fans

Fenway
03-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Want to see the Red Sox play in Cincinnati? Well you have to buy 3 other games as well

Wanna See The Red Sox Play The Reds? You Must Also Buy Tickets To Three Other Games (http://consumerist.com/367994/wanna-see-the-red-sox-play-the-reds-you-must-also-buy-tickets-to-three-other-games)

Jerko
03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
IIRC Al Davis did that to Charger fans who wanted to buy tickets in Oakland a few years back. If you bought the Charger game, you had to buy 2 or 3 more games. I'm sure it was a ploy to keep SD fans from taking over the black hole, but they either had to waste money on 2 other games or go thru the aggravation of selling ****ty tickets.

RTI_SoxFan
03-14-2008, 01:06 PM
It worked! :tongue:

MUsoxfan
03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
I have no problem with this. The Sox do it for the Cubs. They're just trying to limit the amount of the wrong color red

ksimpson14
03-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I doubt they even care what fans are in the seat. The point is that they're in the seats. If demand is high enough for those games that they can get you to also buy seats for a game where demand won't be as high...

They may spin it or maybe even want that message (Brewers) for marketing purposes, but I'd guess they don't even care about that in the Reds or Sox situation.

MUsoxfan
03-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Well they want more Reds fans at Reds games. There are many of them, they tend to come out strong at the beginning of the year and then fade away with the team. The Reds know that Red Sox fans won't be too inclined to buy a package, but Reds fans might because they want to come out and see the Red Sox.

If that makes any sense

Fenway
03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
The Reds are telling people from Boston to simply scalp the other tickets they don't want.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2008/03/14/more_ticketbuying_fun/

Foulke You
03-14-2008, 02:53 PM
The White Sox did something similar for the first ever crosstown series in '97 which angered a lot of Cubs fans. If memory serves, they made you buy tickets to two other Sox games if you bought one of the crosstown series games. The ploy kind've backfired if I remember and they ended up just selling the leftover upper deck seats on ticketbastard the week before the games. Of course, the Sox were having attendance problems back then anyway in the post strike era.

ComiskeyBrewer
03-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Want to see the Red Sox play in Cincinnati? Well you have to buy 3 other games as well

Wanna See The Red Sox Play The Reds? You Must Also Buy Tickets To Three Other Games (http://consumerist.com/367994/wanna-see-the-red-sox-play-the-reds-you-must-also-buy-tickets-to-three-other-games)

I remember teams do this for the packers as well. We had to buy tickets for a pre-season game to watch the packers play the colts in the early 90s. Nothing new.

PKalltheway
03-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Not a bad idea. Reds ownership knows that they can make a lot of money off of this series. They're also charging more for these games than they are for "normal" regular season games, too. The Reds owners know that Reds fans will show up, but a ploy like this will limit the amount of Red Sox fans at the games....at least a little bit....:unsure:

We've had enough practice with Cub fans invading Cincinnati, so if (and when) the same thing ends up happening with this series, it won't catch us offguard. Maybe the Reds fanbase can step up and keep it from happening this year. With the NL Central being as weak as it is, and with the Reds having a good amount of young talent this year, Reds fans are very optimistic this year. I don't think that's been the case in at least eight years.

StillMissOzzie
03-14-2008, 07:41 PM
The Reds are telling people from Boston to simply scalp the other tickets they don't want.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2008/03/14/more_ticketbuying_fun/

"Scalp" and Reds tickets probably don't belong in the same sentence. "Dump", maybe, as you'd be lucky to get face value back. Or, maybe the BoSox fans can buy tix to Cubs/Reds games and pass the fleecing on!

SMO
:D::gulp:

turners56
03-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Wow, what an ass that rep was..."get used to high prices, you're from Boston." As much as I've grown to dislike the city of Boston lately, that is still an extremely ignorant statement. Even the Cubs aren't this low...lol 96 tickets xD.

RadioheadRocks
03-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Even the Cubs aren't this low...

Nope, they just have their own in-house ticket broker.

turners56
03-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Nope, they just have their own in-house ticket broker.

Ticket taxes FTW xD.

Fenway
03-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Wow, what an ass that rep was..."get used to high prices, you're from Boston." As much as I've grown to dislike the city of Boston lately, that is still an extremely ignorant statement. Even the Cubs aren't this low...lol 96 tickets xD.

The Boston fans will still show up.

The only place they don't show in big numbers is Kansas City mainly because flight options there are limited.

Today they filed paperwork to make the official capacity of Fenway for night games 39,928. This will allow them to hit 3 million finally.

They finally sent me the group info for the White Sox and I will pass that along after I talk to the rep. They appear to be putting the groups only in the new Coca Cola seats they are building for 2008 at 75 a seat.

Whitesox029
03-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I see this as an attempt to keep Red Sox fans away, primarily. They know that Red Sox fans invade every park (in Tampa, they often actually outnumber Rays fans, I've heard, which is a big deal because it's like 9 or 10 more home games for the Red Sox). The Reds are having attendance problems though, so that is another motivation. The Brewers did something similar (and yet not so similar) a few years ago by giving a discount on day-of-game tickets to people with Wisconsin driver's licenses for games against the Cubs, thus preventing a lot of Cubs fans from being able to get seats, probably.

skottyj242
03-17-2008, 02:27 PM
It must be true if it's on a blog.

asg2003ws2005
03-17-2008, 03:24 PM
well...they gots to justify the stubhub deal....

A.T. Money
03-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Great idea!