PDA

View Full Version : Anderson/Owens Platoon Situation?

ChiTownTrojan
03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I like the idea of platooning Anderson and Owens in the OF. One is right-handed, the other is left-handed. Against righties, Owens would start in CF (or LF with Swisher in CF), and lead off. Against lefties, Anderson would start in CF and Ozuna would lead off (from the 2B, 3B, or DH position). Quentin (barring his health) can be worked in at Ozzie's discretion, giving some of the vets (Dye, Thome, even Konerko with Swisher moving to 1B) the occassional rest. I think BA has earned more playing time than Owens, so maybe we'll see him out there against some righties (with Swisher leading off). Thoughts?

Rocky Soprano
03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I am not a big fan on the platoon situation. Anderson and Owens need to play just about every single day to be able to succeed or show that they just can't cut it.

Bucky F. Dent
03-14-2008, 11:37 AM
I like better the idea of taking the better of the two out of Spring Training (that's BA currently) put him at the top of the lineup and let him prove himself.

russ99
03-14-2008, 11:43 AM
I really think Brian's going to have to prove himself in real games to have a shot of sticking for the year with the mindset the staff has against him.

A few hot weeks in early spring is one thing, and a run of success against major league pitching in games that count is another and as I recall, Brian's had good springs before.

Still, with the injuries in the OF, it wouldn't hurt to bring him north as a defensive replacement/OF supersub, especially if no one is interested in dealing for him.

If Owens can't get healthy in time for opening day, I still think Swisher is our CF and leadoff man. Anderson's spring doesn't change that nor will he take over a full-time CF spot anytime soon.

Bucky F. Dent
03-14-2008, 11:50 AM
As I look at it, that's one of the things that spring training is for, for a guy who was in the dog house and under performing to show that he has spent the winter working hard and turned his game around.

BA has done that to date. Quentin and Owens are injured, so put BA in center and Swisher in left and let the kid prove he's turned the corner.

chisoxmike
03-14-2008, 11:51 AM
How about they use Swisher in CF and Quentin in LF like how they originally planned? :dunno:

Anderson can be our 4th outfielder when Quentin rides bench, or Swisher gives Konerko a day off.

Madscout
03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Anderson has come out this spring and done what everyone in the organization has asked him to do. Last year, when Danks came and out pitched guys for a spot in the rotation, he got it. Anderson has come out and out hit just about everyone on the team this spring. The guy barely has 400 MLB AB, and we are griping about his offense? How long did it take Crede to figure it out? How long have we had a SS that has hit around or below .250? The defensive excuse was used in both of their cases and it applies here.
NS is not a CFer, and we can't just expect him to be able to do it at the level that Anderson does with his glove. Putting Swish in LF will allow him to do a better job with the bat, and the offensive upgrades we have made (Cabrera) more than offsets Anderson in the lineup. I remember what the argument was in '06, which was that we already have Uribe in the lineup so we couldn't have an 8-9 Uribe Anderson. But the White Sox did not win more games with Anderson out of the lineup in '06, so why the hell not give him a shot this year.
Ozzie and KW have been his biggest critics, and they both like what they see this offseason. We should trust that and get ready to have a real defensive CF in Chicago this year.

RowanDye
03-14-2008, 11:58 AM
I like the idea of platooning Anderson and Owens in the OF. One is right-handed, the other is left-handed. Against righties, Owens would start in CF (or LF with Swisher in CF), and lead off. Against lefties, Anderson would start in CF and Ozuna would lead off (from the 2B, 3B, or DH position). Quentin (barring his health) can be worked in at Ozzie's discretion, giving some of the vets (Dye, Thome, even Konerko with Swisher moving to 1B) the occassional rest. I think BA has earned more playing time than Owens, so maybe we'll see him out there against some righties (with Swisher leading off). Thoughts?

I know there aren't many options available for the leadoff spot, but it will worry me if Owens is handed a significant role without proving himself more in spring training this year.

Things didn't turn out so well when we did that with Anderson in '06.

Despite some progress at the end of the year, Owens was HORRIBLE when leading off an inning (he went 28/144 with a .227 OBP!)

Owens is even more worthless without his legs though, so I'm glad the Sox are being careful with him.

As for a platooning Owens/Anderson, I'm not sure the two are very complementary. Anderson is better against righties, and I have a hard time seeing him adding much offensively in a limited role like that.

Give Owens the rest of spring training to show that he can produce and stay on the field. If he can't get on base significantly more than he did last year, then Swisher should lead off and Owens will just be a pinch runner.

fquaye149
03-14-2008, 12:04 PM
I think that's a lousy idea and hope it doesn't happen

kittle42
03-14-2008, 12:10 PM
How about they use Swisher in CF and Quentin in LF like how they originally planned? :dunno:

Because Quentin has done jack squat to show anything.

chisoxmike
03-14-2008, 12:10 PM

I'd rather have him out there than Owens.

Foulke You
03-14-2008, 12:16 PM
I agree. Quentin has a lot of potential but his shoulder isn't 100% yet and that has really slowed him this Spring. I think he needs some rehab and seasoning down in Charlotte before he becomes a factor.

Personally, I think Anderson is playing well enough right now to win the starting job. In my opinion, he is worth having out there just for his glove because with our young pitchers, we'll need all the defense we can get. Despite BA's performance, I think Owens still has the inside track on the job though because of his speed and leadoff potential.

ode to veeck
03-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Anderson's the only real center fielder on the team; if its close at he plate, its a no brainer

redsand22
03-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Anderson can be our 4th outfielder when Quentin rides bench, or Swisher gives Konerko a day off.
What has Quentin done to earn that spot yet?

Flight #24
03-14-2008, 12:21 PM
IMO it's a lot easier to prove yourself and keep momentum going off of a strong spring by playing every day. In a platoon, it's in & out and hard to maintain rhythm at the plate. That's why barring a late-spring tank job, Anderson needs to be handed the CF job and run out there every day. Owens either goes to the minors or stays as the 4th OF/PR. Maybe starts a couple times a week to give one of Anderson/Dye/Swish/Thome/Konerko a blow (with Swish moving to 1B/DH when Thome/Konerko sit).

kittle42
03-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I'd rather have him out there than Owens.

Why, though? I am not advocating either way, but what has Quentin shown anyone that convinces them he is the answer?

Slats
03-14-2008, 12:23 PM
The only reason BA is getting the at bats in spring training is for trade bait.
Ozzie doesn't want him and I don't think the majority of the fans want to see BA in center.

It's nice to see BA's actually going to put some effort into his game. (or so he says)
For me and many other Sox fans, it's too little... too late.

The sooner he's gone the better.

chisoxmike
03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Why, though? I am not advocating either way, but what has Quentin shown anyone that convinces them he is the answer?

Thats the problem. There is no "answer" for left field. Ideally, I would love to have Anderson out there in center, and I guess you can put Swisher in left. I don't know if Swisher has played much of left or if he would be useful over there. But there's a part of me that thinks that no matter what Anderson does, he won't get a starting job on the Sox.

So, if it had to come down to Owens and Quentin, I'd give it to Quentin. Owens really hasn't done anything either to earn a spot. He's been hurt much of Spring Training too. Also, Owens didn't do much to impress when he was healthy last year. Oh wait, he's fast.

redsand22
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
The only reason BA is getting the at bats in spring training is for trade bait.
Ozzie doesn't want him and I don't think the majority of the fans want to see BA in center.

It's nice to see BA's actually going to put some effort into his game. (or so he says)
For me and many other Sox fans, it's too little... too late.

The sooner he's gone the better.

I don't understand this mindset. A lot of people say the same thing so maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think he really ever got the chance. Ozzie would play him for a game or two and then bench him for 3. I would think that you really can't get much going with out some constant playing time. The kid is only 25 and has stellar D. Like a lot of others have mentioned, how long did it take Crede to come around?

I don't know, I like BA and hope he gets a shot. He gives us the best chance defensive side of the ball, than any other OF on the roster.

kittle42
03-14-2008, 12:35 PM
So, if it had to come down to Owens and Quentin, I'd give it to Quentin. Owens really hasn't done anything either to earn a spot. He's been hurt much of Spring Training too. Also, Owens didn't do much to impress when he was healthy last year. Oh wait, he's fast.

Yeah, but what has *Quentin* done? He's not a proven commodity, either.

chisoxmike
03-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah, but what has *Quentin* done? He's not a proven commodity, either.

Nothing. It's pick your poison. I pick Quentin over Owens.

sox84
03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't understand this mindset. A lot of people say the same thing so maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think he really ever got the chance. Ozzie would play him for a game or two and then bench him for 3. I would think that you really can't get much going with out some constant playing time. The kid is only 25 and has stellar D. Like a lot of others have mentioned, how long did it take Crede to come around?

I don't know, I like BA and hope he gets a shot. He gives us the best chance defensive side of the ball, than any other OF on the roster.

I don't understand it either. Apparently a lousy attitiude is what got him in the doghouse, and he seems to have shed that along with other negatives this spring. It'd be plain stupid to dump him at this point - give him a honest to goodness shot!

Slats
03-14-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't understand it either. Apparently a lousy attitiude is what got him in the doghouse, and he seems to have shed that along with other negatives this spring. It'd be plain stupid to dump him at this point - give him a honest to goodness shot!

Brian Anderson - Jan 24th 2008

""I had a negative attitude and that chip wasn't getting me anywhere," Anderson told MLB.com earlier this week. "The thing is, I have to be mature about it. I'm employed by the White Sox, so I have to go out and try and compete. If that's not good enough for them, there are how many other teams out there? Trades are always possibilities."

Same attitude. Same old BA. It's always about him and not the team. Big ego, no bat. I don't know what he needs to become a true major leaguer.

Maybe we could try something different. If by some miracle he does end up playing for us this year, Roger Bossard should install some mirrors on the center field wall so BA can stare at himself between pitches.

I think then he'd finally be happy.

It's a team Brian. That's how you win. Telling your team at the beginning of spring training that if I'm not good enough for you then trade me? Jeeze dude. You've got a career .216 batting average and a .278 OBP.

Kenny, please trade this guy asap. Thanks.

Flight #24
03-14-2008, 01:19 PM

""I had a negative attitude and that chip wasn't getting me anywhere," Anderson told MLB.com earlier this week. "The thing is, I have to be mature about it. I'm employed by the White Sox, so I have to go out and try and compete. If that's not good enough for them, there are how many other teams out there? Trades are always possibilities."

Same attitude. Same old BA. It's always about him and not the team. Big ego, no bat. I don't know what he needs to become a true major leaguer.

Maybe we could try something different. If by some miracle he does end up playing for us this year, Roger Bossard should install some mirrors on the center field wall so BA can stare at himself between pitches.

It's a team Brian. That's how you win. Telling your team at the beginning of spring training that if I'm not good enough for you then trade me? Jeeze dude. You've got a .career .216 AVG and a .278 OBP.

Are you serious? #1 he says he's had a bad attitude and needs to turn it around. #2 he says if he does that and he still doesn't get a shot here, he'd like to get one elsewhere. You take that as "me over team"? What the hell's he supposed to say? "I'll play my best, and if they want to keep me in the minors, then that's fine, as long as I contribute to the org in some way."? Give me a ****ing break.

And yes, that "no bat" guy is the same one leading all of MLB ST in total bases and at or near the top in Avg, OBP, and doing it all while playing stellar D. Yes, it's ST - but when a kid's 26 and has all of 400ABs, it's actually fairly common to see significant improvement.

soltrain21
03-14-2008, 01:23 PM

It's a team Brian. That's how you win. Telling your team at the beginning of spring training that if I'm not good enough for you then trade me? Jeeze dude. You've got a career .216 batting average and a .278 OBP.

I see nothing wrong with his statements. He did have a chip on his shoulder and he said he had to get rid of it. He is also right, there are trade possibilities.

The bolded line seems like he would be putting the Sox before himself, no?

Heffalump
03-14-2008, 01:29 PM

So Slats, can you actually read? How does this quote show that BA is "all about himself"?

soxrme
03-14-2008, 01:35 PM

Quentin still has a shoulder problem I guess. The D-Backs claimed he wouldn't be ready until April at least. He needs work down in Charlotte to get ready I believe. I think Anderson gets the job by default if Owens has a groin problem. Only rest will cure it properly, we saw what a problems Pods had with it the last couple of years.

Rocky Soprano
03-14-2008, 01:40 PM

Yes Kenny please trade the best defensive CF on the team because he made mistakes. Who cares that he hasnt had the chance to play every day! Who cares that he has shown a change in attitude this year! Please trade him now! And if he plays great with another team we reserve the right to rip you for trading him!

Jerko
03-14-2008, 01:54 PM
We've been thru this song and dance with Anderson before. I don't think with the division we're in and the teams we start the season against that we can be ****ing around hoping he "really changed" this year. I ripped Owens a lot last year but the guy did bat .267 with 32 SBs, so we know at the very least he is serviceable. Quentin batted .214 and is always (and may still be hurt). If Owens is healthy, I say give him CF. If not, we're gonna have to go with BA in CF and Swisher in left. I don't have any faith in Quentin, at least not at the beginning of the year. We need to get off to a fast start, not have a lineup of question marks and a bunch of guys in there that hardly played last year. Swisher is proven. put him in LF. Owens is semi-proven. CF. BA and CQ are not proven, at all. Can't be experimenting with them just yet. If things are still close a month into the season, standings-wise, and a few of these guys aren't cutting it, then you try something new. As for now, I think Owens deserves the shot.

ChiTownTrojan
03-14-2008, 01:57 PM

We are not at all deep enough in the outfield to be able to trade BA and still have a decent option if anyone gets hurt. Other than the five with a legitimate shot to make the team (Dye, Swisher, Anderson, Owens, Quentin), there's nobody else I want stepping into the outfield this year. If we trade BA, we're down to four, which won't cut it.

ChiTownTrojan
03-14-2008, 02:00 PM
As for a platooning Owens/Anderson, I'm not sure the two are very complementary. Anderson is better against righties, and I have a hard time seeing him adding much offensively in a limited role like that.

Is this true that Anderson hits righties better than lefties? I don't have his minor league splits. You can't go by what he's done in the majors, when he wasn't able to hit anyone in 2005.

cheezheadsoxfan
03-14-2008, 02:05 PM
and get ready to have a real defensive CF in Chicago this year.

Man, I hope so. The experience with Mack in CF (not that Owens or Swisher would be that bad) has made me really want outstanding defense out there.

sox1970
03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Owen scratched today....again.

He's a bench player.

oeo
03-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I really think Brian's going to have to prove himself in real games to have a shot of sticking for the year with the mindset the staff has against him.

You guys are unbelievable. You mean the same staff that has been praising him? The same staff that handed him a starting job two years ago when he wasn't even ready?

GMAB. The only people that feel sorry for Brian Anderson, are the people at WSI. Brian even knows he ****ed up. Now it's time for most of you to realize the same thing.

*waits for champagne to bring up his silly rumor*

WhiteSox5187
03-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Well it appears as though Owens is incapable of staying healthy and Quentin hasn't shown me anything. So if I'm manager and the season started tomorrow I'm moving Swish to LF and have him leadoff and BA is in CF and hitting ninth.

Craig Grebeck
03-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Well, Quentin has gone 4-14 with 3 2B. It's not like he's been a ghost out there. He's also the best defensive corner OF on the team...by a long shot. He deserves it.

KRS1
03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I just hope however it goes down, we take it slow with Q and make sure he is 100% ready to go. Last year he pushed to play with an injury, that injury just kept getting worse and he had a miserable season because of it. I really want Carlos in the starting lineup soon, but if Brian keeps raking, I would very much prefer Brian to be in CF to start the season with Swisher in left and Q taking his time to work himself back up to speed in Charlotte.

WhiteSox5187
03-14-2008, 05:39 PM
I just hope however it goes down, we take it slow with Q and make sure he is 100% ready to go. Last year he pushed to play with an injury, that injury just kept getting worse and he had a miserable season because of it. I really want Carlos in the starting lineup soon, but if Brian keeps raking, I would very much prefer Brian to be in CF to start the season with Swisher in left and Q taking his time to work himself back up to speed in Charlotte.
That's how I feel. Let Quentin prove he's healthy and get used to the pace of the game down in Charlotte and if he's dominating down there, bring him up. But don't rush him. We should do the same thing with Owens, but it appears he's made of glass.

KRS1
03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Owens, but it appears he's made of glass.

People need to stop with this crap. It's one groin injury, not some long history of being hurt. Has anyone ever pulled their groin before? It can be quit some time before you feel right again.

Lukin13
03-14-2008, 06:03 PM
People need to stop with this crap. It's one groin injury, not some long history of being hurt. Has anyone ever pulled their groin before? It can be quit some time before you feel right again.

People that dislike Owens call him injury prone.

People that like Owens call it just a groin pull.

It is most likely somewhere in between, it is just hard to say the kid should make this team when KW brought in Quentin and now Anderson is on fire.

TomBradley72
03-14-2008, 06:59 PM

I agree completely....if the season started tomorrow...that's the approach I'd take.

Owens is our only true lead off hitter...but he hasn't demonstrated the ability to hit lefties
Anderson is our only true CF...and has made the most of his chance in spring training...and provides us with the best defense...which helps our pitching.
Swisher belongs in a corner OF position...and is a defensive liability in CF over the course of a 162 game season.
Quentin hasn't done anything (yet) to earn a regular starting position..and may need a little more time as he recovers from the shoulder injury.
If Swisher, Dye, Thome, Crede/Fields, Konerko, Cabrera and AJ are all everyday players that only leaves us with 1 (maybe two...at 2B) platoon situation in our starting line up...which seems fine to me..especially since Ozzie likes to use everyone on the roster.

Craig Grebeck
03-14-2008, 07:08 PM
How has Quentin not proved he deserves a starting spot yet Owens has?

champagne030
03-14-2008, 07:09 PM
You guys are unbelievable. You mean the same staff that has been praising him? The same staff that handed him a starting job two years ago when he wasn't even ready?

GMAB. The only people that feel sorry for Brian Anderson, are the people at WSI. Brian even knows he ****ed up. Now it's time for most of you to realize the same thing.

*waits for champagne to bring up his silly rumor*

*stop waiting*

He never had the starting job........

TomBradley72
03-14-2008, 07:10 PM

On these boards...the only thing Quentin has going for him is that he's "new" and he had some monster minor league seasons a few years ago.

Quentin: 25 years old(turns 26 in August), MLB Batting Average: .230 over 395 ABs

Anderson: Just turned 26, MLB Batting Average: .216 over 416 ABs.

They both came into spring training as highly regarded prospects running out of time to prove they can live up to their potential...both coming of injury riddled seasons last year. Anderson has done everything in spring training you could ask of a player in that situation.

He's earned one more shot.

TomBradley72
03-14-2008, 07:17 PM

How does the statement "trades are always possibilities" = a trade demand?

Hell..the White Sox are a halfway house for high ceiling prospects who haven't reached their potential: Richar, Floyd, Owens (who is older than BA), Quentin, Massett...if we want to start writing off players like that...a big chunk of our roster goes away.

We have ZERO outfield depth in our organization. Dumping BA is ridiculous...I'd put him back in Charlotte at the very least...because injuries will happen this year...and we don't need a repeat of the low quality garbage that was out on the field last season.

Craig Grebeck
03-14-2008, 07:18 PM
On these boards...the only thing Quentin has going for him is that he's "new" and he had some monster minor league seasons a few years ago.

Quentin: 25 years old(turns 26 in August), MLB Batting Average: .230 over 395 ABs

Anderson: Just turned 26, MLB Batting Average: .216 over 416 ABs.

They both came into spring training as highly regarded prospects running out of time to prove they can live up to their potential...both coming of injury riddled seasons last year. Anderson has done everything in spring training you could ask of a player in that situation.

He's earned one more shot.
You are completely simplifying Quentin's value. "Monster" does not even begin to tell the story. If he replicated those numbers in MLB he'd win MVP.

He was fantastic as a rookie in 2006 and struggled with injuries in 2007.

It's not that he's new; you are way off base. He is not even close to comparable with Anderson. He slugged .530 (!!!) in 57 games as a 23 year old rookie.

Craig Grebeck
03-14-2008, 07:20 PM
How does the statement "trades are always possibilities" = a trade demand?

Hell..the White Sox are a halfway house for high ceiling prospects who haven't reached their potential: Richar, Floyd, Owens (who is older than BA), Quentin, Massett...if we want to start writing off players like that...a big chunk of our roster goes away.

We have ZERO outfield depth in our organization. Dumping BA is ridiculous...I'd put him back in Charlotte at the very least...because injuries will happen this year...and we don't need a repeat of the low quality garbage that was out on the field last season.
Floyd and Quentin are the only high ceiling prospects (although Floyd is no longer high ceiling and Quentin still is) on this roster. Jerry Owens is replacement level fodder.

TomBradley72
03-14-2008, 07:26 PM
You are completely simplifying Quentin's value. "Monster" does not even begin to tell the story. If he replicated those numbers in MLB he'd win MVP.

He was fantastic as a rookie in 2006 and struggled with injuries in 2007.

It's not that he's new; you are way off base. He is not even close to comparable with Anderson. He slugged .530 (!!!) in 57 games as a 23 year old rookie.

I still believe he's a solid prospect....but we haven't had decent defense in CF since Rowand left...so I want to see BA out there...move Swisher to left...if BA doesn't maintain his spring training level of performance or some one gets injured....Quentin will get his chance. He seems to need more time to heal up any way.

sullythered
03-14-2008, 07:46 PM
I have some high hopes for Quentin, but from where I sit, Brian Anderson should be our starting center fielder when the season starts. He's the only center fielder on the team (and a very good one, at that). It wasn't that long ago that Brian (much like Quentin) was a highly regarded prospect. He showed improvement in his rookie year, was hurt last season, and has apparently finally dedicated himself to the game. The results seem pretty apparent. He's been a beast so far at the plate and in the field.

StillMissOzzie
03-14-2008, 08:38 PM
At this point, I would not be surprised if Anderson is kept on the roster and gets his playing time as a later inning defensive replacement. Of course, that's assuming that Owens is healthy and batting leadoff. If Anderson starts, I think you have to reshuffle the batting order, as I don't see Anderson as a leadoff man. More like a 7 or 8, IMHO.

SMO
:gulp:

DoItForDanPasqua
03-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Now is the time for the Sox to make their decision on Anderson. He is having a very good spring; if he doesn't make the team, I'm not sure he ever will. If that's the case, why keep him? At least they can get something for him while he still appears to have potential.

That said, he appears to be the best option for the opening day center fielder. I can't see platooning him with Owens when they both need as many at bats as they can get.

Jaffar
03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm even more confused now. Anderson hasn't played much in the last few games but Owens has been playing very well. Honestly I think Anderson is making everybody notice him again but I think it's Owens position to lose and he is playing really, now, can he stay healthy or will he need constant rest to reoccuring groin issues like Pods?

Tragg
03-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Just looking at the boxscores, it appears that Anderson, Quentin, and Richar are 2nd stringers - they sure aren't getting much playing time.

Uribe, I really don't get...a hacker at 2nd is bad news. The GM's comments and trades seem to have pushed he and the field manager even further apart on the concept of obp.

guillen4life13
03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
IMHO, Bourgeois and Ozuna should get a look at 2B also. No one has run away except Ramirez in the 2B offensive battle, but defensively he is very suspect. Bourgeois has experience at 2B, and if he shows to be a decent defender, he should at least get a shot at the big league level. After all, he's only a couple months older than Anderson and less than a year older than Quentin, and his type of play is what the Sox could use right now at the tope of the order. Richar's back needs to stabilize before they push him hard, at which point, if Bourgeois is struggling, he takes over at 2B. If Bourgeois can solve the leadoff issue, then Owens becomes a non-issue.

I don't see this as being so out of the question as far as Bourgeois being capable of filling that duty. He's in a similar position to Owens of a year ago. Give him a shot.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Just looking at the boxscores, it appears that Anderson, Quentin, and Richar are 2nd stringers - they sure aren't getting much playing time.

Brian Anderson has the second most at-bats of any player this spring.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?statType=1&statType=Overview&teamPosCode=all&timeFrame=1&c_id=cws&sitSplit=&venueID=&section1=null&Submit=Submit&subScope=pos&baseballScope=CHA&timeSubFrame=23&&sortByStat=AB

KRS1
03-16-2008, 10:19 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?statType=1&statType=Overview&teamPosCode=all&timeFrame=1&c_id=cws&sitSplit=&venueID=&section1=null&Submit=Submit&subScope=pos&baseballScope=CHA&timeSubFrame=23&&sortByStat=AB

...and Richar showed up late, then had back spasms that kept him off the field the last week. Q has just been moved along slowly so he doesn't fall into the same situation as last year by playing injured, which eventually cost him his season.

pearso66
03-16-2008, 10:27 PM
I think BA should be given the shot. I am in the minority in thinking that he was never really given the shot. He went 2-4 opening day in 06, and didn't play for 3 days after that.

I know this is a thread drift but, how can people on here rave about Chris Young, but be so down on Brian Anderson. In Young's first full season he hit .237 with an OBP of .295 in 569 at bats. Brian Anderson's first full year he hit .225 with an OBP or .290 in 365 at bats. I know Young hit for power, but Anderson's OBP wasn't that far off. Young also has 225 more career at bats than Anderson has had. I think had Anderson actually been given the job, like Young was, it's possible he could be better in the average/obp spot than Young is. Anderson always had to worry about being pulled out of the lineup, while Young was just trusted. I know that Anderson has had a bad attitude towards the whole thing, but it's hard to succeed when you are being put in a spot to fail. This is my opinion, nothing else

Tragg
03-16-2008, 10:29 PM

Maybe so, but looking at the boxscores over the last week, it doesn't look like he's starting and playing CF.
Swisher's been playinig some CF, which I think is a good idea too.

Huisj
03-16-2008, 10:42 PM
They should platoon Anderson with someone so that he starts whenever they face starting pitchers named Hernandez.

KRS1
03-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Maybe so, but looking at the boxscores over the last week, it doesn't look like he's starting and playing CF.
Swisher's been playinig some CF, which I think is a good idea too.

I'm just going to hope it is Ozzie getting JO a lot of at bats to get him ready, and not him giving Brian the short end again. If you go back, you will see that I was actually one of the few who thought JO had a chance to be an every day player. So in no way do I have a predisposition to hate on him. However, I'm getting a bit frustrated with him being apparently being handed the role, while BA again gets AB's taken away from him by another unimpressive player. First it was Mack, then Erstad, now Jerry. People hate on BA's unorthodox swing, but Owens' loopy, slow, weak, and around the ball swing makes me gag. Owens is just plain bad in CF, his jumps and reads are just slow, which negates whatever speed he has over BA in the outfield, and his arm is just handing an extra base to anyone who decides to run on him.

jabrch
03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
I haven't seen more than one inning so far in ST - so I have no idea what the two have done. I don't care who plays and who doesn't - I just hate platoons. But we shouldn't be using ST statistics to make this call. The coaches see them every day and know much more about how they are playing. Numbers are so skewed in such a small sample size that ST stats mean nothing.

Tragg
03-16-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm just going to hope it is Ozzie getting JO a lot of at bats to get him ready, and not him giving Brian the short end again. If you go back, you will see that I was actually one of the few who thought JO had a chance to be an every day player. So in no way do I have a predisposition to hate on him. However, I'm getting a bit frustrated with him being apparently being handed the role, while BA again gets AB's taken away from him by another unimpressive player. First it was Mack, then Erstad, now Jerry. People hate on BA's unorthodox swing, but Owens' loopy, slow, weak, and around the ball swing makes me gag. Owens is just plain bad in CF, his jumps and reads are just slow, which negates whatever speed he has over BA in the outfield, and his arm is just handing an extra base to anyone who decides to run on him.
Actually, I'd probably vote Quinten, Swisher and Dye, at least when Quinten gets healthy.
If it's Owens and/or Anderson - I just hope both improve offensively.
I'm more concerned with 2b anyway.