PDA

View Full Version : Springfield says - Why do we want Wrigley Field?

Fenway
03-14-2008, 10:54 AM
The Sun Times says the Cubs have a better chance of sweeping the World Series than Illinois buying the park

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/842034,CST-NWS-wrig14.article

areilly
03-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Outstanding. I don't like the idea of public money paying for private sports facilities (that even goes for the one the Sox play in), so this is okay with me.

Hitmen77
03-14-2008, 11:21 AM
The Cubs have gotten filthy rich over Wrigley. Why should the taxpayers have to come in now and fix a highly profitable privately owned facility?

The Cubs signed free agents to $300 million worth of contracts last year thanks to the excess of wealth generated by the popularity of their park. They can spend their own damn money to fix that smelly dump. Since when are they entitled to spend on payroll like a drunken sailor and then cry poor and look for the state to fix their cash cow?

LoveYourSuit
03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Is it me or does it appear the Sun Times is really taking it to Tribune Company with this Stadium issue? Every headline the last few weeks appears to be regarding this.

Foulke You
03-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Is it me or does it appear the Sun Times is really taking it to Tribune Company with this Stadium issue? Every headline the last few weeks appears to be regarding this.
It's not just you. I am a Sun Times subscriber and the Wrigley/Zell/Trib stories have gotten a TON of press in their paper. However, the Sun Times has always gotten their jollies sticking it to the Tribune so this isn't entirely a new trend.

kittle42
03-14-2008, 12:11 PM
It's not just you. I am a Sun Times subscriber and the Wrigley/Zell/Trib stories have gotten a TON of press in their paper. However, the Sun Times has always gotten their jollies sticking it to the Tribune so this isn't entirely a new trend.

It's embarassing. Telander has a great column pretty much calling his own paper out on it today.

chisoxmike
03-14-2008, 12:13 PM
It's embarassing. Telander has a great column pretty much calling his own paper out on it today.

I'll have to read that today. As you and others have said, the Sun-Times is really embarrassing themselves.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-14-2008, 12:24 PM
....the Sun-Times is really embarrassing themselves.

As long as Moronotti, Sleazak and Couch Potato are on the payroll as sports journalists, this will remain a true statement regardless of the front page headlines.

russ99
03-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Excellent.

One step closer to my evil conspiracy theory that has Zell selling the team but keeping Wrigley.

Then Zell refuses to pony up for construction/renovation and otherwise makes it difficult for the new owner to play there.

End result: Cubs new stadium built in Schaumburg by 2015... :tongue:

kittle42
03-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Excellent.

One step closer to my evil conspiracy theory that has Zell selling the team but keeping Wrigley.

Then Zell refuses to pony up for construction/renovation and otherwise makes it difficult for the new owner to play there.

This would destroy my neighborhood's property values.

Fenway
03-14-2008, 12:39 PM
A Chicago sportswriter was on WEEI yesterday

He says he heard the following

Zell sells Cubs

Zell keeps Wrigley

Zell buys White Sox and exchanges parks with new Cubs owner

Where on earth did he hear it? Lakeshore Hospital?????

Chilli Palmer
03-14-2008, 12:41 PM

That's your problem.

Ziggy S
03-14-2008, 12:51 PM

I should be out of the Army by that point and that just confirms my desire to leave Schaumburg after I become a civilian again and get my Bachelor's Degree.

DumpJerry
03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Why? Because you and your neighbors will then have to actually use metered water from the City to water the lawns?

doublem23
03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Zell sells Cubs

Zell keeps Wrigley

Zell buys White Sox and exchanges parks with new Cubs owner

:?:

I have a better chance of winning a million dollars and scoring a date with Jessica Alba today.

minutia
03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
I think the same thing. I don't think the Sun Times would be giving any of the sale of the Cubs stuff nearly as much attention were it not being sold by their competitor.

PatK
03-15-2008, 04:49 PM

I don't think mine would be affected since I'm only a block off the lake.

But I'm wanting to sell my place and haven't put it on the market yet. I have a few people lined up who want to buy it, and one of the reasons all of them are interested is the proximity to the Cubs/Wrigley.

Although I suspect as I have, that got old quick. It wasn't bad 10-15 years ago when they didn't draw like they are now. But now, I have to deal with drunken stupidity any time there's a game.

I'm glad I'm rarely there.

TheOldRoman
03-15-2008, 05:29 PM
I agree, what the **** would the state want with Wrigley Field?
From the beginning, this was just a stupid ego trip by Blagojevich. I never thought it would happen, but of course, according to the Trib it is almost a done deal.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't complain if the state built them a new park. It would be wrong considering the financial state the Cubs are in, but Illinois did build the Sox a new park and keep them in Chicago. Obviously, the Cubs need a new park, so it would make sense. It would name no sense at all for the state that landfill for $300-500 million and then have to spend $400 mil to completely rebuild it. Dropping that money on a new park is one thing, but this is just stupid.

tebman
03-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I think the same thing. I don't think the Sun Times would be giving any of the sale of the Cubs stuff nearly as much attention were it not being sold by their competitor.

It's fun though. The Sun-Times is throwing spitballs at the Tribune like they've done for decades, the difference is that they're louder about it now.

The Tribune has been humility-impaired for most of its existence -- "World's Greatest Newspaper" and all that. Being surrounded your whole life by big money will do that to you. But times have gotten tough in the newspaper business and the Tribune has been taken over by a guy who violates all of the Tribune's cherished rules of decorum and self-importance. I get a kick out of watching the Tribune editors squirm in their sedan chairs after we've put up with their "upscale" marketing of the Cubs for the last 25 years.

Yeah, the Sun-Times has been a little over the top with this, but what have they got to lose?

asg2003ws2005
03-16-2008, 07:05 AM
It's fun though. The Sun-Times is throwing spitballs at the Tribune like they've done for decades, the difference is that they're louder about it now.

The Tribune has been humility-impaired for most of its existence -- "World's Greatest Newspaper" and all that. Being surrounded your whole life by big money will do that to you. But times have gotten tough in the newspaper business and the Tribune has been taken over by a guy who violates all of the Tribune's cherished rules of decorum and self-importance. I get a kick out of watching the Tribune editors squirm in their sedan chairs after we've put up with their "upscale" marketing of the Cubs for the last 25 years.

Yeah, the Sun-Times has been a little over the top with this, but what have they got to lose?it's not like they are on the brink of going under as well...

chaerulez
03-16-2008, 12:15 PM
From a business standpoint, I would say it would be in the Cubs advantage to build a state of the art stadium in the suburbs. Sure there probably will be some idiots that refuse to go to games because it's not in Wrigley Field (you cheer for a team, not a building), but lets say they put the new stadium in Schamburg. Tons of people in the NW suburb area will want to go to those games. Plus the Cubs the great majority of the true Cubs fanbase won't go away. Not only that, they could be selling out a 50,000 seat stadium instead of just under 40,000. Not to mention revenue from parking. If I were a Cubs fans I would want this to happen, as increased revenue should turn out a higher payroll.

DumpJerry
03-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Former Gov. Jim Thompson was on Hit and Run today. He's the Chair of the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority now. He said the purchase would not involve any taxpayer money.

I will not comment further to discourage political comments.