PDA

View Full Version : White Sox May Sign Shingo!

MCHSoxFan
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
I do NOT have a link. In today's Sun-Times, I read that Ozzie said he will look at Shingo on a side session this Saturday. If he, (Ozzie) likes what he sees, the White Sox will sign Shingo to a Minor League deal.

Rocky Soprano
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Didn't he sign with the Cubs?

MCHSoxFan
03-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Didn't he sign with the Cubs?

Yes. However, they just relesed him yesterday. BOTH the Sox and the Cubs made cuts.

balke
03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
If he's not good enough for the Cubs, I doubt he'll make it here.

hi im skot
03-13-2008, 04:16 PM
You're way too excited about this.

I'm afraid Shingo's probably done.

Rocky Soprano
03-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes. However, they just relesed him yesterday. BOTH the Sox and the Cubs made cuts.

Ah, didnt know he was cut.

spawn
03-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Just say no. Please.

white sox bill
03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Just say no. Please.
No

Lip Man 1
03-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Instead of signing a relief guy, how about signing another starting pitcher?

Lip

jenn2080
03-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Lip

Exactly. And why would we want Shingo again? did Ozzie like the dong music that was played when he came out?

KenBerryGrab
03-13-2008, 04:23 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo!

DickAllen72
03-13-2008, 04:24 PM
If Shingo really wants to play in the minor leagues and has anything at all left in the tank, the Sox should sign him.

Shingo is a good guy and the Sox should do him the favor. Maybe he has a future as a White Sox scout/recruiter in Japan.

hi im skot
03-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Exactly. And why would we want Shingo again? did Ozzie like the dong music that was played when he came out?

Huh huh huh, huh huh huh..."dong."

oeo
03-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Are people seriously whining about a potential minor league deal? :?:

Who cares?

DickAllen72
If he, (Ozzie) likes what he sees, the White Sox will sign Shingo to a Minor League deal.

Emphasized for clarity. Apparently a lot of posters on this thread are missing the Minor League aspect of the deal.

Again, if Shingo wants a minor league deal, I say give it to him. It would be good for Shingo and may turn out extremely well for the Sox too. Shingo may be useful as a Japanese scout/recruiter.

kittle42
Complete non-story and a waste of money.

eriqjaffe
03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
I have no problem with Shingo getting a minor-league deal from the Sox.

I have a problem with Shingo getting major-league innings for the Sox.

All in all, Takatsu is (or, at least, seems to be) a good guy, and really was one of the few bright spots of an otherwise very forgettable 2004.

Not entirely related, but I had forgotten that Mr. Zero actually notched more saves (8) than Bobby Jenks (6) did in '05 - posteason notwithstanding, of course.

oeo
03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Complete non-story and a waste of money.

It's pocket change...who gives a ****?

hi im skot
03-13-2008, 04:33 PM
I saw that it's a minor league deal; I just don't see much of an upside here.

BRDSR
03-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I saw that it's a minor league deal; I just don't see much of an upside here.

Do you see much of a downside?

I agree with a couple of earlier posters about keeping ties with Shingo which may open doors in Japan in the future. The Sox are already one of the top 4-5 teams getting the talent out of Japan, and you never know when the next Ichiro is going to come along and sign with the Sox because he idolized Shingo Takatsu as a kid.

WhiteSox5187
03-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Shingo was one of my favorite players on the Sox going into '05, it'd be great if he could come back and shore up the bullpen, but that's not going to happen. If he wants to play in Charolette though, I say why not? It could certainly help recruit Japanese players.

103 screwball
03-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Shingo was nothing but class. Why not give him a shot? I still remember the GONG!

MCHSoxFan
03-13-2008, 06:21 PM
You're way too excited about this.

I'm afraid Shingo's probably done.

Not that excited. Just wanted to post. I put the ! because it is a shocker.

Craig Grebeck
03-13-2008, 06:29 PM

Lip
Who is available?

chisox77
03-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Sign him to a minor league deal, then hire him in some other capacity when Shingo realizes it's time.

:cool:

Lip Man 1
03-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Craig:

Without checking in detail I think, off the top of my head Weaver and Lohse are still out and available. By now they may be getting desperate and come cheaply.

Never hurts to have some insurance.

Lip

DrCrawdad
03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Craig:

Without checking in detail I think, off the top of my head Weaver and Lohse are still out and available. By now they may be getting desperate and come cheaply.

Lip

Jeff Weaver (http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/weaveje01.shtml)? Jeff Weaver, who pitched very well for the Cardinals in '06 in the post-season? Jeff Weaver, who was terrible last year with Seattle? Jeff Weaver, who the Sox drafted 11 years ago only to not sign? Or Jeff Weaver, the guy who ignited the Sox and Tigers brawl back in '00?

getonbckthr
03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
The last time the Sox had a Shingo break camp with the team we won the World Series!

SoxyStu
03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Craig:

Lip

Got an RSS feed today, that, as of today, Lohse is finalizing a deal with the cards for 1 yr. - 4.25.

oeo
03-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Craig:

Lip

Neither of those guys can find success in the AL. Is insurance just having a body? We have plenty of bodies.

BRDSR
03-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Neither of those guys can find success in the AL. Is insurance just having a body? We have plenty of bodies.

Signing Jeff Weaver for 1 year, 2.5-3 million would be a good risk. He and Floyd battle for the 5th starter/long reliever slots. Then Logan/Masset doesn't have to be on the club (in my opinion Wasserman should definitely make the team).

And yes, insurance is bodies. And yes, at his very worst, Weaver would be the 6th best starter in the White Sox organization. That's insurance worth buying if we have the money to do it...and we do.

oeo
03-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Signing Jeff Weaver for 1 year, 2.5-3 million would be a good risk. He and Floyd battle for the 5th starter/long reliever slots. Then Logan/Masset doesn't have to be on the club (in my opinion Wasserman should definitely make the team).

Jeff Weaver hasn't shown any kind of success in the AL since 2002. How do you have more confidence in him than Floyd? That would be an actual waste of money and a roster spot.

And yes, insurance is bodies. And yes, at his very worst, Weaver would be the 6th best starter in the White Sox organization. That's insurance worth buying if we have the money to do it...and we do.I would honestly rather hand the ball to Broadway or Egbert than Jeff Weaver. He had a 6.20 ERA last year in a division in which there wasn't a lot of offense; I'm confident that Broadway and Egbert could do that.

NSSoxFan
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Jeff Weaver hasn't shown any kind of success in the AL since 2002. How do you have more confidence in him than Floyd? That would be an actual waste of money and a roster spot.

I agree

BRDSR
03-13-2008, 07:54 PM

I wouldn't necessarily have more confidence in him than Floyd. I would have confidence that we could use the best of the two, whichever that might be. I'm certainly not suggesting that Jeff Weaver is the missing link. I'm saying that the back end of the White Sox rotation is suspect, and the more possibilities we have back there the better.

Look, the White Sox are not going to be a playoff team with their current rotation. Jose or Javier will likely get injured at some point this season and Danks or Floyd will probably have a 4.80+ ERA. Such is the nature of the game. The rotation is just no longer the same stable of reliable workhorses that it was in 2005. Even if the Sox could move Crede and some young guys for a semi-talented proven starting pitcher, one of those young guys would almost certainly Floyd/Masset/Broadway.

A quality rotation top to bottom is not a possibility for the White Sox right now. In lieu of that, they need quantity to deal with the inevitable injuries/poor performances. Accepting this as true, do you have a better option than Jeff Weaver?

Or do you believe the White Sox are a bona fide playoff contender with their current rotation?

oeo
03-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't necessarily have more confidence in him than Floyd. I would have confidence that we could use the best of the two, whichever that might be. I'm certainly not suggesting that Jeff Weaver is the missing link. I'm saying that the back end of the White Sox rotation is suspect, and the more possibilities we have back there the better.

Look, the White Sox are not going to be a playoff team with their current rotation. Jose or Javier will likely get injured at some point this season and Danks or Floyd will probably have a 4.80+ ERA. Such is the nature of the game. The rotation is just no longer the same stable of reliable workhorses that it was in 2005. Even if the Sox could move Crede and some young guys for a semi-talented proven starting pitcher, one of those young guys would almost certainly Floyd/Masset/Broadway.

A quality rotation top to bottom is not a possibility for the White Sox right now. In lieu of that, they need quantity to deal with the inevitable injuries/poor performances. Accepting this as true, do you have a better option than Jeff Weaver?

Or do you believe the White Sox are a bona fide playoff contender with their current rotation?

No, and I don't think adding a crappy veteran will change that. We either luck out and win 95 games, or we don't and we're a .500 team.

And where did the 'Javier is going to be injured at some point' come from? The guy is a horse. I'm not saying he's not going to get injured...anything can happen, but he's yet to show those signs. You pulled that one straight from your ass.

russ99
03-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Also, don't forger both Weaver and Lohse are represented by our good ole buddy, Scott Boras. Ain't gonna happen. $4M for one season is about as low a discount as he's gonna give too...

I can't see why anyone would want to sign an unknown quantity with a poor track record for $4M a season when the Sox know what they have in Floyd (or Masset as well as a back-up option) and who's being paid slightly over league minimum.

LoveYourSuit
03-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Also Papi Hidalgo is being looked at to compete with Shingo for the open Bat Boy sport now that Ozzie Jr is playing Minor League baseball.

BRDSR
03-13-2008, 08:10 PM
No, and I don't think adding a crappy veteran will change that. We either luck out and win 95 games, or we don't and we're a .500 team.

And where did the 'Javier is going to be injured at some point' come from? The guy is a horse. I'm not saying he's not going to get injured...anything can happen, but he's yet to show those signs. You pulled that one straight from your ass.

LOL, fair enough. How about I put it this way: Of Danks, Floyd, and Contreras, one will need to sit due to injury for six weeks or more and another will have, dare I say it, a 5.00+ ERA on the season. I just can't imagine this staff getting through an entire season without one major injury and one guy failing to live up to his potential, whatever that might be.

Also, if ticket prices were reduced when ownership made profit, I'd say sure, don't sign a crappy (I prefer "risky") veteran. Lets just hope for 95 wins with this rotation. But ticket prices have been going up for decades and JR has never cut me a check. Obviously I don't expect him to, but its sure as hell no skin off my nose if signing Weaver doesn't work out, and a 1 year deal doesn't tie up any money in the future, either. So I'm gonna pull for additions, no matter how unlikely they are to be the piece we need. I didn't think Dustin Hermanson was going to be an integral piece of the puzzle in '05, but he was.

oeo
03-13-2008, 08:51 PM
LOL, fair enough. How about I put it this way: Of Danks, Floyd, and Contreras, one will need to sit due to injury for six weeks or more and another will have, dare I say it, a 5.00+ ERA on the season. I just can't imagine this staff getting through an entire season without one major injury and one guy failing to live up to his potential, whatever that might be.

And a crappy veteran will do what? The same thing a Masset, Broadway, or Egbert can do...except they will be earning the league minimum.

Also, if ticket prices were reduced when ownership made profit, I'd say sure, don't sign a crappy (I prefer "risky") veteran. Lets just hope for 95 wins with this rotation. But ticket prices have been going up for decades and JR has never cut me a check. Obviously I don't expect him to, but its sure as hell no skin off my nose if signing Weaver doesn't work out, and a 1 year deal doesn't tie up any money in the future, either. So I'm gonna pull for additions, no matter how unlikely they are to be the piece we need. I didn't think Dustin Hermanson was going to be an integral piece of the puzzle in '05, but he was.

It's just a waste. We have other (cheaper) options that will do the same thing. If Weaver could realistically give us even a mediocre season, I'd say go for it. The guy has not shown that ability in years, though.

Why do some people have the idea that veteran = better option?

thomas35forever
03-14-2008, 01:25 AM
It's probably best we don't hear the gong again at Comiskey, but I like the idea of hiring him as a scout for Japanese players once he hangs it up. Whether it's that or pitching in our farm system, it would still be nice to have him back in the organization.

redsand22
03-14-2008, 11:28 AM
:rolling: dong music!!!

Foulke You
03-14-2008, 11:33 AM

I would honestly rather hand the ball to Broadway or Egbert than Jeff Weaver. He had a 6.20 ERA last year in a division in which there wasn't a lot of offense; I'm confident that Broadway and Egbert could do that.
I have to agree with OEO. I want another veteran starter too Lip but Weaver and Lohse are the garbage scraps that will cost too much. You take away the 2006 postseason and Weaver hasn't been effective in either league for a long time. I remember how awful he was with the Yankees and Angels recently. Also, Lohse hasn't faired much better in recent years. I'd feel better about handing the ball to Danks and Floyd because they at least have the potential to be dominant pitchers. With Weaver and Lohse, the best you could hope for would be 8-10 wins.

palehozenychicty
03-14-2008, 12:47 PM

Exactly. People need to realize that the only way to get good starting pitching nowadays is to develop from within. The days of getting a great year out of a retread are dying. That's the reality.

Lip Man 1
03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
OEO:

To answer the last question in your last post maybe it's because the Sox haven't exactly been bowling them over with the results from the farm the past fifteen seasons or so. ESPECIALLY from a pitching standpoint.

I mean it's been a few seasons since the McDowell's, Alvarez's, Bere's and Fernandez's of the world came along....it's been more of the Felix Diaz's, Danny Wright's and Arnie Munoz's. Far to many of those in fact.

Lip

Foulke You
03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
OEO:

To answer the last question in your last post maybe it's because the Sox haven't exactly been bowling them over with the results from the farm the past fifteen seasons or so. ESPECIALLY from a pitching standpoint.

I mean it's been a few seasons since the McDowell's, Alvarez's, Bere's and Fernandez's of the world came along....it's been more of the Felix Diaz's, Danny Wright's and Arnie Munoz's. Far to many of those in fact.

Lip
You do make some good points here Lip. We haven't groomed many good quality starters from our organization. Outside of Buehrle, I can't think of one in recent years. Garland was plucked from the Cubs when he was just an A ball pitcher so I guess you can lump him in as well.

If it makes you feel any better, Danks and Floyd came from other MLB scouting depts and farm systems (Texas and Philly respectively) and not our own so perhaps we'll have better luck this time.:cool:

Craig Grebeck
03-14-2008, 06:00 PM
OEO:

Lip
Those guys being ****ty baseball players has nothing to do with our starter situation.

Lip Man 1
03-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I disagree.

It means that our farm system has been in such straights over the past decade and a half that I've lost confidence in their ability to scout, draft and most importantly DEVELOP major league pitchers.

The names I gave are emblematic over what the farm system has been producing in general terms.

That's why I made my original comment about trying to sign some low priced veterans as insurance or to give the club options.

You can change the names from Broadway to Haegar to Munoz to Wright to Keyser to Scott Ruffcorn and Rodney Bolton but the results all tend to be the same.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
03-14-2008, 06:25 PM
I disagree.

It means that our farm system has been in such straights over the past decade and a half that I've lost confidence in their ability to scout, draft and most importantly DEVELOP major league pitchers.

The names I gave are emblematic over what the farm system has been producing in general terms.

That's why I made my original comment about trying to sign some low priced veterans as insurance or to give the club options.

You can change the names from Broadway to Haegar to Munoz to Wright to Keyser to Scott Ruffcorn and Rodney Bolton but the results all tend to be the same.

Lip
If you sign low priced veterans who are TERRIBLE, what are you gaining in? Money wasted? It would be a detriment to this organization to bring in a ****ty pitcher on the basis of Floyd being ****ty.

WhiteSox5187
03-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Sorry to interrupt but is there anymore word involving Mr. Zero???

sox1970
03-15-2008, 04:19 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080315&content_id=2429205&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

WhiteSox5187
03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080315&content_id=2429205&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
:whiner::whiner::whiner:

btrain929
03-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Shingo at his absolute best is Ehren Wasserman, who we have.

No, thanks.

WhiteSox5187
03-18-2008, 01:55 AM

No, thanks.
Yea but we can't play the Gong when Wasserman comes in.

Elephant
03-18-2008, 02:22 AM
I thought Shingo died in the Robot Wars of 2005.

Taliesinrk
03-18-2008, 06:31 AM

No, thanks.

I think you should add Brian Anderson to your club

A.T. Money
03-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Just say no, Kenny.

oeo
03-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Hopefully they end up offering him some kind of front office, Japanese recruiting-type job. We can't be that far away from Japanese talent just coming straight here instead of playing 5+ years in Japan, can we?

This organization really needs to put some emphasis on bringing in some good international talent.