PDA

View Full Version : Bill James interview

Fenway
03-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Talks about Boston a lot since he works for them but did have this nugget for White Sox fans to lose sleep over

The White Sox record of 13-44 in games in which they didn't hit a home run was the worst in MLB in 2007

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/12/still_batting_around_those_abstract_ideas/

DoItForDanPasqua
03-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Talks about Boston a lot since he works for them but did have this nugget for White Sox fans to lose sleep over

The White Sox record of 13-44 in games in which they didn't hit a home run was the worst in MLB in 2007

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/03/12/still_batting_around_those_abstract_ideas/

I thought the Sox hit a solo home run in every game they played. I guess it just seemed that way.

LITTLE NELL
03-13-2008, 05:59 AM
That means we were 59-46 in games were we hit a HR. Let hits more HRS, 1 a game gives us at least 91 wins

Save McCuddy's
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I like our chances to reduce that number of homerless games.

James is awesome. I have loved the Abstract since '83 when I first picked one up. I am jealous that the BoSox have him retained -- you have to wonder whether he's had any impact on their recent success.

Fenway
03-13-2008, 10:55 AM

James is awesome. I have loved the Abstract since '83 when I first picked one up. I am jealous that the BoSox have him retained -- you have to wonder whether he's had any impact on their recent success.

Certainly James has not hurt Boston.

It does beg an interesting question however. What info if any does James not release for public consumption? I am reminded of a well known horse racing expert that one day picked all nine winners in the paper yet did not cash a single winning ticket himself.

russ99
03-13-2008, 12:14 PM

I like James' conclusions and the interesting things he does with the numbers, it's the essays I could do without.

Which is why I pass on his annuals and those similar, like Prospectus.

I'd rather figure things out for myself instead of being told by some know-it-all baseball geek who's a bad writer.