PDA

View Full Version : "We Beleive"...OMG, puke.

cws05champ
03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Someone is doing a documentary on the cubs 2008 season...Oh I'll be sure to pre-order my DVD right away. :thud:

They are putting the cart before the horse don't you think?
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080311-documentary-scheinfeld-chicago-cubs,1,5372764.story

doublem23
03-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I believe they won't win the World Series. Perhaps I should make that documentary.

goon
03-12-2008, 04:25 PM
I believe they won't win the World Series. Perhaps I should make that documentary.

:D:

I own a camera, let's get started.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Just another thing that they'll blame in year 101 as to why they didn't win it all.

"We were under the microscope from day one. We thought making a movie/documentary was tongue in cheek - we never expected to be held to a standard where we'd have to perform on the field AND on camera. All that split time caused Kerry Wood to literally fall apart on the mound like the Bluesmobile. Why else would Lou Piniella actually hit Carlos Zambrano with the roast beef tray after a game?

The Cubs are just cursed, and now we have to add Hollywood to black cats, goats, and Bartman."

kittle42
03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Someone is doing a documentary on the cubs 2008 season...Oh I'll be sure to pre-order my DVD right away. :thud:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080311-documentary-scheinfeld-chicago-cubs,1,5372764.story

The beauty of Cub fandom is that no matter how the documentary ends, it's a good ending...if the Cubs somehow won the World Series, it's "the end of the curse." If they lose again as they most certainly will, it's "more long-suffering hardship for the beloved Cubs and Cub fans."

TDog
03-12-2008, 06:19 PM
It sounds like however the documentary ends up would irritate Sox fans. If it is to be about the relationship between the team and Chicago, it could show disrespect to the other team in town -- although it might trace the seventh inning stretch tradition to the South Side. Documentaries are allowed to have a point of view, as are columnists, but it doesn't sound like the director wants to cast a hard look at the Cubs faithful.

Really, because the Cubs won't win it again in 2008 (you could say that about 30 teams and be right 29 times, of course), the 100th season without a World Series championship could make for a good documentary. Incredibly, there are Cubs fans who believe their team is destined to win this year, and inevitably things will go wrong. Baseball seasons are like the Conrad story Heart of Darkness. The deeper you venture into the jungle of the season, the more you lose what seemed so crystal clear in March.

It would make a better film if the Cubs don't contend beyond April. If the director thinks that, he certainly isn't going to tell anyone that, however, because it would restrict his access for the project.

cws05champ
03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
It sounds like however the documentary ends up would irritate Sox fans. If it is to be about the relationship between the team and Chicago, it could show disrespect to the other team in town -- although it might trace the seventh inning stretch tradition to the South Side. Documentaries are allowed to have a point of view, as are columnists, but it doesn't sound like the director wants to cast a hard look at the Cubs faithful.

Really, because the Cubs won't win it again in 2008 (you could say that about 30 teams and be right 29 times, of course), the 100th season without a World Series championship could make for a good documentary. Incredibly, there are Cubs fans who believe their team is destined to win this year, and inevitably things will go wrong. Baseball seasons are like the Conrad story Heart of Darkness. The deeper you venture into the jungle of the season, the more you lose what seemed so crystal clear in March.

It would make a better film if the Cubs don't contend beyond April. If the director thinks that, he certainly isn't going to tell anyone that, however, because it would restrict his access for the project.
It just irratates me that they would make this movie...I don't care how it ends.

C-Dawg
03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
...the Oscar buzz is unmistakeable...

:chunks:

Anyway, haven't they been using "We Believe" for a few years already? I believe all right... In the curse!!

Foulke You
03-12-2008, 09:34 PM
:chunks:

Anyway, haven't they been using "We Believe" for a few years already? I believe all right... In the curse!!
I believe all right as well...that the National League will not win the World Series no matter what the heck happens in the lousy NL Central.

TDog
03-12-2008, 10:53 PM
I believe all right as well...that the National League will not win the World Series no matter what the heck happens in the lousy NL Central.

I don't know. If an inferior American League team makes it to the World Series, such as the Tigers of a couple of years ago that collapsed as badly as last year's Mets did at the end of the regular season, the National League opponent can look like world champions.

As for the documentary, I could see some merit in a film about a team with players who aren't terribly bothered with a losing season while their fans are grieving and lamenting curses to blame for a century of frustration.

JB98
03-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I believe as well.

I believe the Cubs suck and won't make the playoffs.

Tragg
03-12-2008, 11:22 PM

That is just preposterous.

thomas35forever
03-13-2008, 12:15 AM
In a perfect world, the Cubs go 0-162 this year and somebody's money is wasted to the max.

ChiSoxPatF
03-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Don't they call these things mockumentaries? I think there is a better chance of This is Spinal Tap winning an Oscar this year than We Believe.

areilly
03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
It just irratates me that they would make this movie...I don't care how it ends.

Why does it irritate you? Because it's about the Cubs? Because the whole world is against you, Average Sox Fan? Scheinfeld's kind of a hack, but at least he has the decency to admit he's biased going into this.

And so what? Let them have their movie, because it's just that - a movie. People have made films about the Cubs before for lesser reasons, and I don't see why a guy with a personal interest in the team, the access, and the resources at his disposal can't make one on the occassion that there actually is reason to do so. A hundred years is a long time, and I don't mind the turn to 101 being captured. Do you?

SOXPHILE
03-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Haven't they been running with this stupid "We Believe" thing since 2003 ? I think it's time to come up with something different. Ever since the glorious collapse in '03, they've been touting this slogan, and they look more stupid every year, especially since the White Sox have since won the World Series, and they've had 2 sub .500 seasons. Every single year, I think somebody's going to come up with some new book or movie that delves into the "Cub fans suffering".

tstrike2000
03-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Hopefully, Milwaukee wins the division by 35 games.

russ99
03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Hm. I wonder if the "We Believe" crew got some nice footage of Felix Pie's testicular tortioning procedure?

They do want to know "what is this tapestry all about"... :tongue:

jenn2080
03-13-2008, 12:38 PM

Didn't the NL win in 2006? :scratch:

Fenway
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM

The Red Sox tried this in 2003

It ended badly

http://www.amazon.com/Still-We-Believe-Boston-Movie/dp/B0002ABUWU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1205430566&sr=1-2

pitch from Wakefield.....Boone hits a high fly to left....winter has begun New England....... the Yankees have won the pennant
Joe Castiglione WEEI October 2003

soxfan13
03-13-2008, 12:59 PM

Shush that would ruin his rant!!!!!:gulp:

whitesoxwin
03-13-2008, 01:24 PM
What about planning on attending the Flub game on the first home game after the Flubs are eliminated....I am sure there will be plenty of tickets available.

johnr1note
03-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Fluke! It was a fluke, I tell ya!

Foulke You
03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Ah yes, the great Tigers collapse of '06 is often referenced to defend the NL. Was that really because the Cards were a superior team with Jeff Suppan and Jeff Weaver making the Tigers look stupid or was that the Tigers peeing their pants? I vote for the latter.

The AL has won the World Series in '96, '98, '99, '00, '02, '04, '05, and '07. That's 8 of the last 12 World Series and 3 of the last 4 were sweeps for the American League. This is not to mention the huge All Star Game unbeaten streak the AL has going right now as well as the interleague record disparity the last few years. If you want to think the NL has a prayer in the World Series this year, you can go right on thinking that. Honestly, the only NL team I see as a slight threat is the Mets and that is only because of Santana.

The Rockies won something like 23 straight obliterating the best the NL had to offer on their way thru the NLCS and their reward was getting trounced in the World Series by a far superior team that plays in a superior league. Looking at the AL juggernauts this year like Boston, New York, Detroit, Cleveland, LAA, and Seattle, I don't see how any NL team could knock them off. If the NL wins in 2008, feel free to call up this post and make me eat crow.:cool: