PDA

View Full Version : Yanks, Rays Brawl

Marqhead
03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3289751

Duncan slides in spikes up, gets tackled by Johnny Gomes. Bad blood already brewing between these two teams the last couple weeks.

CubKilla
03-12-2008, 02:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/news/story?id=3289751

Duncan slides in spikes up, gets tackled by Johnny Gomes. Bad blood already brewing between these two teams the last couple weeks.

Where was Billy Crystal during all this?

I want Mags back
03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
video?

sox1970
03-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Sounds like Heath Phillips took one for the team.

doublem23
03-12-2008, 02:49 PM
I think I'm going to like the new Yankees under Girardi. They're going to be very easy to hate.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
As I read that story I couldn't help but wonder how many times Evan Longoria is going to have to hear "I love you on desperate housewives" or "give my best to Tony Parker". :redneck

spawn
03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
I think I'm going to like the new Yankees under Girardi. They're going to be very easy to hate.
Word. I can't believe he's pissed because a Ray player slid hard into home plate during a ST game. I didn't realize it was Tee Ball.

Marqhead
03-12-2008, 03:05 PM
I hope a video of this pops up somewhere. Nothing beats a good basebrawl.

Rockin Robin
03-12-2008, 03:09 PM
What a bunch of sniveling babies the Yankees are. If your catcher blocks the plate, what do they expect the guy to do, throw his hands up?

It would be another thing entirely if the catcher was standing off to the side of the plate a bit setting up for a swipe tag...but he was BLOCKING THE PLATE!

I love that they try to take the high and mighty road on this, but if Billy Crystal wants to suit up, hey, grab a bat!

BRDSR
03-12-2008, 03:12 PM
I hope a video of this pops up somewhere. Nothing beats a good basebrawl.

Yeah, and they only come around every decade or so these days. Has there been one that rivals the Sox/Tigers 2000 brawl since then?

Marqhead
03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah, and they only come around every decade or so these days. Has there been one that rivals the Sox/Tigers 2000 brawl since then?

One of the "best" brawls in recent history. I have a couple friends who were at the game that day. Love watching the youtube video every once in a while. Angers the blood, and gets you ready to watch the Sox pound the tigers.

The Red Sox/Yanks brawl during the playoffs was pretty high up there as well. The whole Zimmer/Martinez aspect was interesting.

Rockin Robin
03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
My favorite brawl of all time is still Mo Vaughn coming out of NOWHERE to clear out George Bell.

Bump34
03-12-2008, 03:35 PM
No real punches were thrown... but it was a bit different to see about 80 players gathered around 2nd base... This could be only the beginning... They play again on Friday night in Tampa... and lets not forget about the 19 times in the regular season...

Hitmenof77
03-12-2008, 04:13 PM
It would be another thing entirely if the catcher was standing off to the side of the plate a bit setting up for a swipe tag...but he was BLOCKING THE PLATE!!

Last year the a Yankee player ran over the Mariners catcher, when he was standing off to the side of the plate. OK this was a regular season game and Torre was still the manager. But the Yankees are a bunch of damn babies.

WhiteSox5187
03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Just from that photo there, the guy going in to second nearly spiked the Rays second baseman in the crotch. Classy. Giardi was a hardnose player but doesn't like it when opponets play hardnose against him? Too bad. Sounds like he's got a case of the Barrettitis going on.

getonbckthr
03-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Shelly Duncan is a bitch and he's lucky Jonny Gomes didn't take his head off.

turners56
03-12-2008, 06:36 PM
What a bunch of sniveling babies the Yankees are. If your catcher blocks the plate, what do they expect the guy to do, throw his hands up?

It would be another thing entirely if the catcher was standing off to the side of the plate a bit setting up for a swipe tag...but he was BLOCKING THE PLATE!

I love that they try to take the high and mighty road on this, but if Billy Crystal wants to suit up, hey, grab a bat!

This is like Cubs fans saying AJ was wrong in running over Michael Barrett then showing him up by slapping home plate. :o: What was AJ supposed to do? Ask him to move nicely and then tap the plate with one finger?

turners56
03-12-2008, 06:36 PM

Gomes would of ate him for dinner.

Railsplitter
03-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Where was Billy Crystal during all this?

Doing a blow by blow descripiton in his Howard Cosell imitaion.

oeo
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3235618950501899284&hl=en

Sounded better from the article. :dunno:

rdwj
03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Exactly what I was thinking

QCIASOXFAN
03-12-2008, 09:28 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3235618950501899284&hl=en

Sounded better from the article. :dunno:
No kidding.

TheOldRoman
03-12-2008, 10:05 PM
One of the "best" brawls in recent history. I have a couple friends who were at the game that day. Love watching the youtube video every once in a while. Angers the blood, and gets you ready to watch the Sox pound the tigers.

The Red Sox/Yanks brawl during the playoffs was pretty high up there as well. The whole Zimmer/Martinez aspect was interesting.If anyone has a link, please post it. I can't find the fight anywhere online.

Sox
03-12-2008, 10:16 PM
The Skankees playing the part of the proverbial spoiled child. Hey skanks, grow some coconuts ya bunch of big babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fenway
03-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Rays and Boston have not gotten along for a few years....this will make the east a little more interesting

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/index.html

Jjav829
03-13-2008, 12:59 PM
If anyone has a link, please post it. I can't find the fight anywhere online.

The clips that were on youtube.com at one point have since been pulled due to an MLBAM copyright claim.

ksimpson14
03-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Is your countdown for the bastardized Japan version, the Washington night game, or the day after?

doublem23
03-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Is your countdown for the bastardized Japan version, the Washington night game, or the day after?

I'm pretty sure it's to the 31st... Our Opening Day.

Jjav829
03-13-2008, 02:25 PM

It's the 31st. To me, that Monday is always the true Opening Day. Even when the Sox opened on Sunday night in 06, while that was certainly an awesome way to start the year, I still felt like the next was the real opening day since it was the first day with a nearly full slate of games.

But I will admit that I'll be waking up an hour early next Tuesday to watch nearly the entire Red Sox-A's game before work. :smile:

ksimpson14
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
It's the adult version of Christmas morning for me. Baseball is back, the baseball package is usually giving a free preview, packed stadiums with a nice buzz,a new game usually starting either every one or couple of hours, LOVE IT

turners56
03-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Have you guys heard what Shelly Duncan said yet? "It wasn't intentional". Who are you Shelly Duncan, to make it a mission to retaliate a clean play on no other team than the Tampa Bay Rays and on an Asian player nonetheless, and then say it wasn't intentional? Please, a low-class player like Duncan has no business doing what he did in the first place, running his mouth afterwards is even more symbolic of what kind of ship Girardi is gonna end up running over there in the Bronx. This isn't the first time he's had a controversy, last time he was in a controversy, he told his owner to **** -resulting in his firing-, real smart Joe, real smart. You're a good manager, but also a loud idiot.

hi im skot
03-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Have you guys heard what Shelly Duncan said yet? "It wasn't intentional". Who are you Shelly Duncan, to make it a mission to retaliate a clean play on no other team than the Tampa Bay Rays and on an Asian player nonetheless, and then say it wasn't intentional? Please, a low-class player like Duncan has no business doing what he did in the first place, running his mouth afterwards is even more symbolic of what kind of ship Girardi is gonna end up running over there in the Bronx. This isn't the first time he's had a controversy, last time he was in a controversy, he told his owner to **** -resulting in his firing-, real smart Joe, real smart. You're a good manager, but also a loud idiot.

:scratch:

Sox
03-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Shelly Duncan=Total tool and D-Bag..................

Bump34
03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
MLB has handed down the suspensions... Shelley Duncan 3 games... Jonny Gomes 2 games... and Melky Cabrera will also be suspended for sucker punching Evan Longoria in the back of the head during the gathering...

Also... Jonny Gomes will not be going to Tampa on Saturday... the Rays will send him to the other split squad game against the Braves... The Yankees on the other hand are going to keep Shelley Duncan in Tampa for the game on Saturday instead of sending him to their other split squad game... Should be interesting...

bigfoot
03-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Friday the NYTimes had an still spinning article about life and times of Shelly Duncan. The experience with his Dad(Dave) while with the White Sox under Tony LaRussa and then in Oakland and Stl. It chronicles several former players meetings with young Dunc and comparing his behavior to other "clubhouse offspring". Fortunately they seem to find that Shelly didn't "go around kicking player in the shins", as at least one other whelp was accused.

I guess Duncan the Younger waited until he could draw blood on the field for his childish antics. :rolleyes: