PDA

View Full Version : Chris Getz

oeo
03-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I've been keeping an eye on this guy ever since he had a fast start last year in Birmingham. I like what I've seen from him, and realize that he was held back by injuries last year...but how does the organization view him? He looks like he can be a hell of a ballplayer. Good speed, plate discipline, and a contact hitter (could be our future #2 guy?); D doesn't look too shabby, either.

I know chances are slim that he makes the team as the starting 2B, with Uribe's experience and all. But if Uribe is struggling, and Getz is having a big year in Charlotte, could we see him later in the year?

This is all assuming Richar is still having back troubles. Of course, if Richar can play, he changes everything and Getz could be good trade bait.

veeter
03-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Most of the prospects that play during these spring games are career minor leaguers. But when I watch Getz play, I just know he'll be in the bigs. He's very solid and I'd hate to see the Sox trade him. If Baltimore is interested in Uribe, let HIM go. I would be fine going to battle with Getz right now as a platoon second baseman.

sox1970
03-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Most of the prospects that play during these spring games are career minor leaguers. But when I watch Getz play, I just know he'll be in the bigs. He's very solid and I'd hate to see the Sox trade him. If Baltimore is interested in Uribe, let HIM go. I would be fine going to battle with Getz right now as a platoon second baseman.

Agreed. He just looks like a big leaguer.

The Sox must like him. They've drafted him twice. Too bad he got injured last year.

Craig Grebeck
03-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I've read reports that project him as possibly to probably better than Eckstein (and I mean the real Eckstein, not the media-deified Eck) -- something like .285/.370/.415 would be his peak. He's certainly a solid player to have.

rdivaldi
03-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I think most scouts view Getz as a future ML'er; however, as a utility player not a starter.

oeo
03-12-2008, 02:12 PM

The only time I brought up trade was if Richar showed he was completely healthy. If he is healthy and shows he's ready to play, then there would be no room for Getz. Unless of course he's a utility guy, but what kind of utility guy would he be? Getz, I believe, was a SS in college...which means he was moved for a reason, whether it was arm, range, etc. If he can't play SS effectively, then we have a utility guy that can play 2B...:?:

JB98
03-13-2008, 12:43 AM
I think Getz would be best served if he spends this whole season in the minors. If Ozuna is healthy, we don't have an opening for a utility player anyway.

Right now, I'm more intrigued by Alexei Ramirez than Getz.