PDA

View Full Version : Clarification On Use Of U.S. Cellular

Lip Man 1
03-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Folks:

There is much discussion on who has the final say on the use of U.S. Cellular Field, does the "state" have the final call or does Jerry Reinsdorf?

I have stated that it is my understanding the final decision is JR's and if he says "no," that's it....it doesn't matter how much outside forces get upset or put pressure or whatever.

For what it is worth I asked a friend who holds a very high position in the Sox front office for clarification. I will not give their name. Here is the e-mail I sent them and the answer.

Again take it for what it is worth to you:
----------
Can you answer a question. This has been a major discussion point at WSI and I'm looking for clarification.

Regarding the Cubs potentially playing at U.S. Cellular Field, who has the final say on this? Is it the state, or is it (as I understand things) JR's call? It is also my understanding that his right of first refusal (for want of a better term) is in the contract and that it is the same for the Cubs, if say Bruce Springsteen wanted to play in the park or a movie company wanted to use it.

Not trying to make an issue out of this one way or another, just trying to get clarification.

Many thanks,
Lip
----------
"Ultimately Jerry’s call."

DumpJerry
03-11-2008, 04:38 PM
That's what we've been saying all along.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-11-2008, 04:52 PM
That's what we've been saying all along.

Not all of us, but thanks for getting some clarity Lip.

RHPH

DumpJerry
03-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Not all of us, but thanks for getting some clarity Lip.

RHPH
Some were confused, but I've posted many times over the past two years that the White Sox have exclusive control per the lease. I know this because of a Chicago Police Officer/Lawyer I know who had to review the lease to see if the City had to worry about open alcoholic bevs in the parking lot or if it was the Sox' call. He told the bosses it was the Sox' call based on the lease, hence we can tailgate!

EMel9281
03-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Doesn't the Illinois Sports Facility Authority have a say in this as well since they have put money into the park for the renovations it has undergone?

ilsox7
03-11-2008, 05:31 PM
This is news to me. Last I was told, it'd be my decision.

DumpJerry
03-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Doesn't the Illinois Sports Facility Authority have a say in this as well since they have put money into the park for the renovations it has undergone?
One more time: the lease the White Sox have with the ISFA gives the White Sox exclusive control over the ballpark and parking lots.

The renovations were done with the money U.S. Cellular gave them for the naming rights. The U.S. Cellular money was not to go into the team itself.

It's Dankerific
03-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Jerry says "we're all friends" when asked about the cubbies playing at US cellular but that he would need specifics, of course.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/reinsdorf-on-cu.html

itsnotrequired
03-11-2008, 05:47 PM
This is news to me. Last I was told, it'd be my decision.

:rolling:

soxfan21
03-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Jerry says "we're all friends" when asked about the cubbies playing at US cellular but that he would need specifics, of course.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/03/reinsdorf-on-cu.html

I heard a little about this on the Score as well. Hopefully he does not allow them to play at the Cell, but I guess we will see what happens when the time comes.

Fenway
03-11-2008, 07:45 PM

translated

What's in it for me and the Sox

Huisj
03-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Ok, but he still takes into account the results of the official WSI thread poll that will happen at some time about whether we'd be ok with them playing there, right?

ksimpson14
03-11-2008, 09:34 PM

Heard the interview, he only brought up the friends thing because North said something like 'you hate the Cubs, don't you', he wasn't speaking in code at all, he said just what Fenway said

and that he can't give an answer until he viewed whatever proposal they ended up putting together (and no one has contacted him yet)

munchman33
03-12-2008, 01:31 AM

If your landlord fixes your oven does he get to lease out the place when you're away at work?

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-12-2008, 07:09 AM
translated

What's in it for me and the Sox

And if JR can get some serious $$ and not compromise the Sox' use/need of the Cell, then I say go for it. No reason why the renovation at Wrigley cannot financially benefit the White Sox.

Who's starting the "What Renovations Should JR Do with the Cell with Cub Money?" thread? :tongue:

Viva Medias B's
03-12-2008, 08:23 AM
I think Jerry will let the Cubs do it provided Jerry gets enough out of it to his/the White Sox' satisfaction.

JohnTucker0814
03-12-2008, 08:26 AM
And if JR can get some serious $$ and not compromise the Sox' use/need of the Cell, then I say go for it. No reason why the renovation at Wrigley cannot financially benefit the White Sox.

Who's starting the "What Renovations Should JR Do with the Cell with Cub Money?" thread? :tongue:

Here would be my problem... as much hatred as there is between the Cubs & Sox fans I think the stadium will be damaged. During the interleague series a few years back I think one of our statues was damaged. You think the idiot fans (not all of them, but if there are 1,000 idiots thats a lot) are going to take care of our park? I see broken seats, cup holders, statues a mess of a parking lot...etc...

I just don't want it! The Cubs have said we are inferior for a long time, so why should they even want to step in our park??

Red Barchetta
03-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Here would be my problem... as much hatred as there is between the Cubs & Sox fans I think the stadium will be damaged. During the interleague series a few years back I think one of our statues was damaged. You think the idiot fans (not all of them, but if there are 1,000 idiots thats a lot) are going to take care of our park? I see broken seats, cup holders, statues a mess of a parking lot...etc...

I just don't want it! The Cubs have said we are inferior for a long time, so why should they even want to step in our park??

I think the word "hatred" is blown out of proportion when it comes to the Sox-Cubs rivalry. Although most fans enjoy the good natured-ribbing, I think there are a small percentage of hard-core and overserved fans on both sides of town who will use any excuse to "get even" or "show them" while in their obliterated state of mind.

When you think of the millions of fans and butts that sit in these ballparks over a few seasonsthere will always be a small percentage of idiots that charge the field, take girly swings at 1B coaches, poor whatever on ivy, damage statues, piss in the aisles, etc. However, these are the same goons that then go out and then cause damage to personal property, cars, etc. Baseball parks just provide a high profile public theater for their bad behavior.

My point is I don't think you can control it either way. If a Cub fan is intent on damaging US Cellular Field, he has 81 home games every year. Adding another 81 games for one season probably won't increase the odds.

As to the lease agreement, yes it is up to JR. He had to approve the Florida Marlins using the Cell a few years ago and would have the final approval/veto on the Cubs use. If JR would ever opt to move the team to Vegas, etc., the Illinois Sports Authority would then lease their owned ballpark to another owner/franchise who would have similar veto rights.

Personally, I think the Cubs should play in Iowa or their other minor league parks scattered throughout the country so that "Cub Nation" can get their fill. I don't think the fans will damage the Cell, however I just don't like the karma of them playing there.

soxfan13
03-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Thank you Lip! Now what am I gonna argue about!!! :)

skottyj242
03-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Thank you Lip! Now what am I gonna argue about!!! :)

You should go home, the temperature change is really messing you up.

soxfan13
03-12-2008, 10:22 AM
You should go home, the temperature change is really messing you up.

:redneck IIIII Luuuuuuuvvvvvvv inside jokes!!!!!